Mpoconnor7

Default Jeff Smith the Frugal Gourmet RIP

I just heard it on the CBS hourly radio news.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
PaulaGarlic

"Mpoconnor7" > wrote

> I just heard it on the CBS hourly radio news.
>
> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

You beat me to it - I was just going to post this:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._tv/obit_smith

(for those of you who like the shorter URL - http://snipurl.com/7n9o)

I know I've seen threads here in the past about whether he was alive or not.
Guess this settles that.

Paula

PaulaGarlic

"Mpoconnor7" > wrote

> I just heard it on the CBS hourly radio news.
>
> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

You beat me to it - I was just going to post this:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._tv/obit_smith

(for those of you who like the shorter URL - http://snipurl.com/7n9o)

I know I've seen threads here in the past about whether he was alive or not.
Guess this settles that.

Paula

jmcquown

Mpoconnor7 wrote:
> I just heard it on the CBS hourly radio news.
>
> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and also a nice
pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items from a number of
books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about the accusations and frankly
don't believe them; he was the precurser to modern day television chefs when
there was no food TV. He will be missed.

Jill

jmcquown

Mpoconnor7 wrote:
> I just heard it on the CBS hourly radio news.
>
> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and also a nice
pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items from a number of
books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about the accusations and frankly
don't believe them; he was the precurser to modern day television chefs when
there was no food TV. He will be missed.

Jill

Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and also a nice
> pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items from a number of
> books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about the accusations and frankly
> don't believe them; he was the precurser to modern day television chefs when
> there was no food TV. He will be missed.

By whom? If one was going to miss him, I would think they would have
gotten over it by now. He hasn't been on tv forever.

nancy
Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and also a nice
> pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items from a number of
> books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about the accusations and frankly
> don't believe them; he was the precurser to modern day television chefs when
> there was no food TV. He will be missed.

By whom? If one was going to miss him, I would think they would have
gotten over it by now. He hasn't been on tv forever.

nancy
zxcvbob

Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:57:19 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>>Mpoconnor7 wrote:
>>
>>>I just heard it on the CBS hourly radio news.
>>>
>>>Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>>>

>>Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and also a nice
>>pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items from a number of
>>books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about the accusations and frankly
>>don't believe them; he was the precurser to modern day television chefs when
>>there was no food TV. He will be missed.
>>
>>Jill
>>

> You would give a shit if you were a little child handled by him.

If she was a little child who was abuse by him she would have first hand
knowledge that he was a pedophile, so of course she would give a shit.
None of us have *any* knowledge, only what we've heard.

> What makes you say you don't believe them? Children very rarely lie
> about such things...

They don't lie, but they are easily manipulated. Especially regarding
implanted false memories.

> and he saw fit to settle the matter out of court.

Which doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

I don't believe or disbelieve the accusations. (I did see a thing or
two on his TV show that just didn't look right...) He would have been
welcome in my house, but I would not have left my kids with him
unsupervised. I don't see how that is much different than if he weren't
accused of being a pervert.

He's not even cold yet; let him rest in peace. Or eternal torment if
you prefer, and it's none of our business anymore either way.

Best regards,
Bob

Scott

In article >,
Lucretia Borgia > wrote:

> You would give a shit if you were a little child handled by him.
> What makes you say you don't believe them? Children very rarely lie
> about such things and he saw fit to settle the matter out of court.

Well, I'm not sure about either part--about kids lying about such
things, and about settling matters.
I remember the McMartin Preschool case during the late 80's, which set
off a whole wave of accusations across the country. Sometime
after--early nineties?--one of the news programs had a story about how
easy it was for overzealous investigators to get kids to make up
stories. See, e.g.,
<http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mcmartin/mcmartin.html>

I don't know about the current status of such molestation reports--i.e.,
whether improved interview techniques have reduced or eliminated the
problem.

As far as settling, often the publicity of a trial (especially for a
public figure) makes a settlement simpler. Even in the even of
innocence, 1) you can never tell what a jury will do, and 2) the press
will hang onto the trial proceedings and report everything.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Lucretia Borgia > wrote:

> You would give a shit if you were a little child handled by him.
> What makes you say you don't believe them? Children very rarely lie
> about such things and he saw fit to settle the matter out of court.

Well, I'm not sure about either part--about kids lying about such
things, and about settling matters.
I remember the McMartin Preschool case during the late 80's, which set
off a whole wave of accusations across the country. Sometime
after--early nineties?--one of the news programs had a story about how
easy it was for overzealous investigators to get kids to make up
stories. See, e.g.,
<http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mcmartin/mcmartin.html>

I don't know about the current status of such molestation reports--i.e.,
whether improved interview techniques have reduced or eliminated the
problem.

As far as settling, often the publicity of a trial (especially for a
public figure) makes a settlement simpler. Even in the even of
innocence, 1) you can never tell what a jury will do, and 2) the press
will hang onto the trial proceedings and report everything.

please mail OT responses only
T E

wrote:
Mpoconnor7 wrote:
I just heard it on the CBS hourly radio news.
Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and also a
nice pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items from a
number of books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about the
accusations and frankly don't believe them; he was the precurser to
modern day television chefs when there was no food TV. He will be
missed.
Jill ----------------------------------------------------------
You would give a shit if you were a little child handled by him. What
makes you say you don't believe them? =A0 Children very rarely lie about
such things and he saw fit to settle the matter out of court.
Sheena ---------------------------------------------------------------
response: I agree with Jill.
Those were not children he was accused of molesting but male teens.
Children rarely lie about such things??
I'll tell that to the couple getting out of prison - michigan- who were
convicted 5 years ago by a little darling who admitted she lied about
being molested.
Her reason, she did not make the pee-wee cheer leading squad in her
school but this couple's daughter did. Both girls had been practicing at
this couple's home.

Wayne

Lucretia Borgia > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:57:19 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>Mpoconnor7 wrote:
>>> I just heard it on the CBS hourly radio news.
>>>
>>> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>>>

>>Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and also
>>a nice pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items from a
>>number of books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about the
>>accusations and frankly don't believe them; he was the precurser to
>>modern day television chefs when there was no food TV. He will be
>>missed.
>>
>>Jill
>>

> You would give a shit if you were a little child handled by him.
> What makes you say you don't believe them? Children very rarely lie
> about such things and he saw fit to settle the matter out of court.
>
> Sheena

Children _often_ lie about such things!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

Lucretia Borgia > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:57:19 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>Mpoconnor7 wrote:
>>> I just heard it on the CBS hourly radio news.
>>>
>>> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>>>

>>Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and also
>>a nice pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items from a
>>number of books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about the
>>accusations and frankly don't believe them; he was the precurser to
>>modern day television chefs when there was no food TV. He will be
>>missed.
>>
>>Jill
>>

> You would give a shit if you were a little child handled by him.
> What makes you say you don't believe them? Children very rarely lie
> about such things and he saw fit to settle the matter out of court.
>
> Sheena

Children _often_ lie about such things!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Wayne

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and also
>> a nice pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items from
>> a number of books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about the
>> accusations and frankly don't believe them; he was the precurser to
>> modern day television chefs when there was no food TV. He will be
>> missed.

> By whom? If one was going to miss him, I would think they would have
> gotten over it by now. He hasn't been on tv forever.
>
> nancy

For one, me. I really enjoyed his shows, bought several of his
cookbooks, and base many dishes I make now on recipes and ideas he either
televised or published. I would watch his shows again were they
available. Although my cable system no longer caries FoodTV, I found it
left a lot to be desired.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and also
>> a nice pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items from
>> a number of books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about the
>> accusations and frankly don't believe them; he was the precurser to
>> modern day television chefs when there was no food TV. He will be
>> missed.

> By whom? If one was going to miss him, I would think they would have
> gotten over it by now. He hasn't been on tv forever.
>
> nancy

For one, me. I really enjoyed his shows, bought several of his
cookbooks, and base many dishes I make now on recipes and ideas he either
televised or published. I would watch his shows again were they
available. Although my cable system no longer caries FoodTV, I found it
left a lot to be desired.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Nancy Young

zxcvbob wrote:

> (I did see a thing or
> two on his TV show that just didn't look right...) He would have been
> welcome in my house, but I would not have left my kids with him
> unsupervised.

I don't know why people's gut instincts are so dismissed. You weren't
there, what do you know. Well ... sometimes you should listen to your
gut. The frug with craig, the hostility between the frug and his
wife? Sorry. It was creepy.

With any luck, your gut instincts will save you one day when you say
I need to get away from this stranger. You won't be asking ... well,
he wasn't convicted of anything! So he can't be guilty!

Trust yourself, saved me more than once.

nancy
Nancy Young

zxcvbob wrote:

> (I did see a thing or
> two on his TV show that just didn't look right...) He would have been
> welcome in my house, but I would not have left my kids with him
> unsupervised.

I don't know why people's gut instincts are so dismissed. You weren't
there, what do you know. Well ... sometimes you should listen to your
gut. The frug with craig, the hostility between the frug and his
wife? Sorry. It was creepy.

With any luck, your gut instincts will save you one day when you say
I need to get away from this stranger. You won't be asking ... well,
he wasn't convicted of anything! So he can't be guilty!

Trust yourself, saved me more than once.

nancy
Sam D.

"Lucretia Borgia" > wrote in message
> You would give a shit if you were a little child handled by him.
> What makes you say you don't believe them? Children very rarely lie
> about such things and he saw fit to settle the matter out of court.

I don't know the specifics about this particular case. But anyone who is
inclined to believe all accusations that come from children are credible
should examine the McMartin Case that took place in L.A. This was the
longest criminal proceeding in American history. It was also the most
expensive trial in CA history with multiple defendants and hundreds of
felony charges involving every kind of evil act from lewdness and sexual
molestation to satanic ritual abuse. Many lives were totally ruined. The
defendants, some who were elderly, had their entire life savings wiped out
and lost their homes and businesses. One defendant spent an full year
incarcerated before finally being exonerated. Not a single conviction was
obtained and it was shown that the children's accusations were based on the
work of investigators who were highly skilled in the practice of
manipulative interrogation of impressionable children.

Sam D.

"Lucretia Borgia" > wrote in message
> You would give a shit if you were a little child handled by him.
> What makes you say you don't believe them? Children very rarely lie
> about such things and he saw fit to settle the matter out of court.

I don't know the specifics about this particular case. But anyone who is
inclined to believe all accusations that come from children are credible
should examine the McMartin Case that took place in L.A. This was the
longest criminal proceeding in American history. It was also the most
expensive trial in CA history with multiple defendants and hundreds of
felony charges involving every kind of evil act from lewdness and sexual
molestation to satanic ritual abuse. Many lives were totally ruined. The
defendants, some who were elderly, had their entire life savings wiped out
and lost their homes and businesses. One defendant spent an full year
incarcerated before finally being exonerated. Not a single conviction was
obtained and it was shown that the children's accusations were based on the
work of investigators who were highly skilled in the practice of
manipulative interrogation of impressionable children.

sf

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:03:22 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

> That might save some children from his unwanted attentions. Hate
> paedophiles.

I snipped out the part of the article that delt with the
issue because it wasn't food related, but in a nutshell - he
was accused but not convicted.

> What is it with men, the church and children ??

I think it was adults who said it happened when they were
children. Nothing was proven in a court of law. I choose
to believe that he was unjustly accused, but you are free to
choose otherwise.

sf

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:03:22 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

> That might save some children from his unwanted attentions. Hate
> paedophiles.

I snipped out the part of the article that delt with the
issue because it wasn't food related, but in a nutshell - he
was accused but not convicted.

> What is it with men, the church and children ??

I think it was adults who said it happened when they were
children. Nothing was proven in a court of law. I choose
to believe that he was unjustly accused, but you are free to
choose otherwise.

sf

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 22:29:22 -0500, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> (I did see a thing or
> two on his TV show that just didn't look right...) He would have been
> welcome in my house, but I would not have left my kids with him
> unsupervised.

Woah.... you must have watched a lot more shows than I did!
What on earth did you see that made you say that??? WHAT
didn't look right?

I can't remember him working with anyone other than his
assistant and there was nothing "funny" happening, ever -
unless you have a very sick mind (and I'm not accusing you
of THAT).

sf

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 22:29:22 -0500, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> (I did see a thing or
> two on his TV show that just didn't look right...) He would have been
> welcome in my house, but I would not have left my kids with him
> unsupervised.

Woah.... you must have watched a lot more shows than I did!
What on earth did you see that made you say that??? WHAT
didn't look right?

I can't remember him working with anyone other than his
assistant and there was nothing "funny" happening, ever -
unless you have a very sick mind (and I'm not accusing you
of THAT).

sf

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:12:24 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and also a nice
> > pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items from a number of
> > books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about the accusations and frankly
> > don't believe them; he was the precurser to modern day television chefs when
> > there was no food TV. He will be missed.

> By whom? If one was going to miss him, I would think they would have
> gotten over it by now. He hasn't been on tv forever.

I'm with Jill. I liked him up to the end and I'm not over
it yet. <sob> He was my last appt. tv for food shows.

Everyone since is only stumbled on by mistake (including
Martha in her heyday).

sf

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:12:24 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and also a nice
> > pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items from a number of
> > books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about the accusations and frankly
> > don't believe them; he was the precurser to modern day television chefs when
> > there was no food TV. He will be missed.

> By whom? If one was going to miss him, I would think they would have
> gotten over it by now. He hasn't been on tv forever.

I'm with Jill. I liked him up to the end and I'm not over
it yet. <sob> He was my last appt. tv for food shows.

Everyone since is only stumbled on by mistake (including
Martha in her heyday).

Grismalkin

>Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:
>

>> That might save some children from his unwanted attentions. Hate
>> paedophiles.
>>

>I snipped out the part of the article that delt with the
>issue because it wasn't food related, but in a nutshell - he
>was accused but not convicted.
>
>> What is it with men, the church and children ??

>I think it was adults who said it happened when they were
>children. Nothing was proven in a court of law. I choose
>to believe that he was unjustly accused, but you are free to
>choose otherwise.

I really have mixed feelings on this. Smith was really an inspiration to me
with his cooking shows and I bought most of his books. I especially liked the
one on immigrants, as I could finally find some recipes from my two odd
nationalities, Romanian and Lithuanian. I guess they are not known for their
cuisine.

On the other hand, I think that many more men
came forward when the scata hit the fan, so I wonder. I think that the clergy
and teachers have a certain trust that they must uphold. But I'll never know
what really happened.

A boyfriend I had was seduced by a friend of ours mother when he was 17. You
don't know the whirlwind that caused us. He wanted to leave town and was
pretty desolate. Not to mention what I went through, as his girlfriend. But,
we survived it.

>Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Grismalkin

>Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:
>

>> That might save some children from his unwanted attentions. Hate
>> paedophiles.
>>

>I snipped out the part of the article that delt with the
>issue because it wasn't food related, but in a nutshell - he
>was accused but not convicted.
>
>> What is it with men, the church and children ??

>I think it was adults who said it happened when they were
>children. Nothing was proven in a court of law. I choose
>to believe that he was unjustly accused, but you are free to
>choose otherwise.

I really have mixed feelings on this. Smith was really an inspiration to me
with his cooking shows and I bought most of his books. I especially liked the
one on immigrants, as I could finally find some recipes from my two odd
nationalities, Romanian and Lithuanian. I guess they are not known for their
cuisine.

On the other hand, I think that many more men
came forward when the scata hit the fan, so I wonder. I think that the clergy
and teachers have a certain trust that they must uphold. But I'll never know
what really happened.

A boyfriend I had was seduced by a friend of ours mother when he was 17. You
don't know the whirlwind that caused us. He wanted to leave town and was
pretty desolate. Not to mention what I went through, as his girlfriend. But,
we survived it.

>Practice safe eating - always use condiments

kalanamak

Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> That might save some children from his unwanted attentions. Hate
> paedophiles. What is it with men, the church and children ??

The males that accused him were not children. I went to college with 3
men who were class of 77 at Stadium High, and Mr. Smith had a fondness
for the heavily muscled and hairy types, and they were at the age of
consent in Washington State. As a female who spent a good deal of time
traveling alone at age 16 and 17, hoots, catcalls, come-ons, comments,
flashings, pawings, and leers are darned common. I don't think I
suddenly became ugly in my late teens, I think that the "hey baby" types
see a 16 year old as more pliant.

And "the church" attracts all likes of flawed individuals, hoping for
succor and salvation. It is a commonly true stereotype, in the offices
I've worked it, that the staff with the I *heart* jesus liscence plate
covers had the cheatingist husbands, in-trouble-with-the-law children,
and the most crying episodes at work.
blacksalt
ObFood: what has happened to plain old choc. chip ice cream? None of the
half-dozen decent brands seem to have it, only one lowly local cheapo
brand.

kalanamak

Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> That might save some children from his unwanted attentions. Hate
> paedophiles. What is it with men, the church and children ??

The males that accused him were not children. I went to college with 3
men who were class of 77 at Stadium High, and Mr. Smith had a fondness
for the heavily muscled and hairy types, and they were at the age of
consent in Washington State. As a female who spent a good deal of time
traveling alone at age 16 and 17, hoots, catcalls, come-ons, comments,
flashings, pawings, and leers are darned common. I don't think I
suddenly became ugly in my late teens, I think that the "hey baby" types
see a 16 year old as more pliant.

And "the church" attracts all likes of flawed individuals, hoping for
succor and salvation. It is a commonly true stereotype, in the offices
I've worked it, that the staff with the I *heart* jesus liscence plate
covers had the cheatingist husbands, in-trouble-with-the-law children,
and the most crying episodes at work.
blacksalt
ObFood: what has happened to plain old choc. chip ice cream? None of the
half-dozen decent brands seem to have it, only one lowly local cheapo
brand.
jmcquown

Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:57:19 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Mpoconnor7 wrote:
>>> I just heard it on the CBS hourly radio news.
>>>
>>> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>>>

>> Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and
>> also a nice pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items
>> from a number of books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about
>> the accusations and frankly don't believe them; he was the precurser
>> to modern day television chefs when there was no food TV. He will
>> be missed.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> You would give a shit if you were a little child handled by him.
> What makes you say you don't believe them? Children very rarely lie
> about such things and he saw fit to settle the matter out of court.
>
> Sheena

Children lie all the time. I have a nephew who, whilst he never accused
anyone of sexual improprieties, certainly lied his ass off on a regular
basis. I recall one morning just as I left for work getting a call from his
school because they couldn't reach his dad and I was the emergency contact.
He was oh, 9 or 10 at the time. He'd claimed he was late for school because
he was accosted by some bigger boys, knocked out and left in a ditch. Can I
come pick him up? Great. I have to call in to work and say I can't be
there. I go to pick him up. "Hi, aunt Jill!" Gee, you certainly don't
*look* like you were mugged and left in a ditch. In fact, your clothes
aren't even dirty. His biggest concern seemed to be when Blockbuster would
open so I could rent some videos for him to watch, which I refused to do.

This same "child" is now an adult, living on my brothers good graces at the
age of 23, called 911 just a couple of months ago and accused my brother
(his father) of abusing him. This, because he didn't hear my brother yell
upstairs to say there was a phone call for him. So he freaked out, got in
their faces, threatened to hit the woman who lives there. When the cops got
there, the "boy" was bleeding from scratches all up and down his arms and he
claimed his father had done this to him. I can guarantee, if my 53 year old
brother wanted to lay hands on his son he wouldn't "scratch" him; he'd put
his head through the freakin' wall. Guess who the cops took to jail that
night? Wasn't my brother, I can tell you that.

Now, you tell me, do children lie?

Jill

jmcquown

Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:57:19 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Mpoconnor7 wrote:
>>> I just heard it on the CBS hourly radio news.
>>>
>>> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>>>

>> Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and
>> also a nice pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items
>> from a number of books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about
>> the accusations and frankly don't believe them; he was the precurser
>> to modern day television chefs when there was no food TV. He will
>> be missed.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> You would give a shit if you were a little child handled by him.
> What makes you say you don't believe them? Children very rarely lie
> about such things and he saw fit to settle the matter out of court.
>
> Sheena

Children lie all the time. I have a nephew who, whilst he never accused
anyone of sexual improprieties, certainly lied his ass off on a regular
basis. I recall one morning just as I left for work getting a call from his
school because they couldn't reach his dad and I was the emergency contact.
He was oh, 9 or 10 at the time. He'd claimed he was late for school because
he was accosted by some bigger boys, knocked out and left in a ditch. Can I
come pick him up? Great. I have to call in to work and say I can't be
there. I go to pick him up. "Hi, aunt Jill!" Gee, you certainly don't
*look* like you were mugged and left in a ditch. In fact, your clothes
aren't even dirty. His biggest concern seemed to be when Blockbuster would
open so I could rent some videos for him to watch, which I refused to do.

This same "child" is now an adult, living on my brothers good graces at the
age of 23, called 911 just a couple of months ago and accused my brother
(his father) of abusing him. This, because he didn't hear my brother yell
upstairs to say there was a phone call for him. So he freaked out, got in
their faces, threatened to hit the woman who lives there. When the cops got
there, the "boy" was bleeding from scratches all up and down his arms and he
claimed his father had done this to him. I can guarantee, if my 53 year old
brother wanted to lay hands on his son he wouldn't "scratch" him; he'd put
his head through the freakin' wall. Guess who the cops took to jail that
night? Wasn't my brother, I can tell you that.

Now, you tell me, do children lie?

Jill

Leo Scanlon

I don't know about his private life, but his TV shows--especially the
early ones--really inspired me to "get into" cooking. And I still
regularly make several recipes from his original Frugal Gourmet
cookbook. Especially his fabulous Pot Roast With Dill Pickles; that
dish is heaven.

Leo

jmcquown

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:12:24 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> > Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and

>> also a nice > pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other
>> items from a number of > books. I have to say, I don't give a shit
>> about the accusations and frankly > don't believe them; he was the
>> precurser to modern day television chefs when > there was no food
>> TV. He will be missed.
>>
>> By whom? If one was going to miss him, I would think they would
>> have gotten over it by now. He hasn't been on tv forever.
>>

> I'm with Jill. I liked him up to the end and I'm not over
> it yet. <sob> He was my last appt. tv for food shows.
>
> Everyone since is only stumbled on by mistake (including
> Martha in her heyday).
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I have a personal letter from him. He wrote to me because I signed his web
site guest book and said how much I enjoyed the shows and his books. It was
nearly a year later, I went to the mailbox. What's this?! from the FRUG??
He told me he was in a wheelchair due to severe arthritis and would never
again be able to stand on a television set and cook like he used to.
Thanked me for my kind words and apologized for the late reply. Late
reply?? I never expected a reply!

Signing a guest book is also how I became email pen-pals with Scott McKenzie
(you may recall the song 'San Francisco'; as in, be sure to wear a flower in
your hair). Scott has a cat named Spider who occasionally sneaks onto his
computer and writes to my cat Persia. (Scott is a great guy with obviously
a great if rather warped sense of humour.) We correspond on a fairly
regular basis which still floors me.

Jill

jmcquown

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:12:24 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> > Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and

>> also a nice > pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other
>> items from a number of > books. I have to say, I don't give a shit
>> about the accusations and frankly > don't believe them; he was the
>> precurser to modern day television chefs when > there was no food
>> TV. He will be missed.
>>
>> By whom? If one was going to miss him, I would think they would
>> have gotten over it by now. He hasn't been on tv forever.
>>

> I'm with Jill. I liked him up to the end and I'm not over
> it yet. <sob> He was my last appt. tv for food shows.
>
> Everyone since is only stumbled on by mistake (including
> Martha in her heyday).
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I have a personal letter from him. He wrote to me because I signed his web
site guest book and said how much I enjoyed the shows and his books. It was
nearly a year later, I went to the mailbox. What's this?! from the FRUG??
He told me he was in a wheelchair due to severe arthritis and would never
again be able to stand on a television set and cook like he used to.
Thanked me for my kind words and apologized for the late reply. Late
reply?? I never expected a reply!

Signing a guest book is also how I became email pen-pals with Scott McKenzie
(you may recall the song 'San Francisco'; as in, be sure to wear a flower in
your hair). Scott has a cat named Spider who occasionally sneaks onto his
computer and writes to my cat Persia. (Scott is a great guy with obviously
a great if rather warped sense of humour.) We correspond on a fairly
regular basis which still floors me.

Jill

Bill

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 05:21:29 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:57:19 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:

>>> Jefferson Smith taught me how to make a great spinach quiche and
>>> also a nice pot roast with mushrooms in port and several other items
>>> from a number of books. I have to say, I don't give a shit about
>>> the accusations and frankly don't believe them; he was the precurser
>>> to modern day television chefs when there was no food TV. He will
>>> be missed.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> You would give a shit if you were a little child handled by him.
>> What makes you say you don't believe them? Children very rarely lie
>> about such things and he saw fit to settle the matter out of court.
>>
>> Sheena

>Children lie all the time. I have a nephew who, whilst he never accused
>anyone of sexual improprieties, certainly lied his ass off on a regular
>basis. I recall one morning just as I left for work getting a call from his
>school because they couldn't reach his dad and I was the emergency contact.
>He was oh, 9 or 10 at the time. He'd claimed he was late for school because
>he was accosted by some bigger boys, knocked out and left in a ditch. Can I
>come pick him up? Great. I have to call in to work and say I can't be
>there. I go to pick him up. "Hi, aunt Jill!" Gee, you certainly don't
>*look* like you were mugged and left in a ditch. In fact, your clothes
>aren't even dirty. His biggest concern seemed to be when Blockbuster would
>open so I could rent some videos for him to watch, which I refused to do.
>
>This same "child" is now an adult, living on my brothers good graces at the
>age of 23, called 911 just a couple of months ago and accused my brother
>(his father) of abusing him. This, because he didn't hear my brother yell
>upstairs to say there was a phone call for him. So he freaked out, got in
>their faces, threatened to hit the woman who lives there. When the cops got
>there, the "boy" was bleeding from scratches all up and down his arms and he
>claimed his father had done this to him. I can guarantee, if my 53 year old
>brother wanted to lay hands on his son he wouldn't "scratch" him; he'd put
>his head through the freakin' wall. Guess who the cops took to jail that
>night? Wasn't my brother, I can tell you that.
>
>Now, you tell me, do children lie?
>
>Jill

you're post made me think of this Jill...I didn't know Jeff Smith but
I did watch his cooking show occasionally. Isn't it interesting that
all these young men who were alledgedly molested by Jeff as children
never told their parents or the cops about the alledged molestation
until after Jeff Smith became famous on PBS and probably had "money"
that a "trial lawyer" could persue? There should be a statute of
limitations or some kind of law to prevent people from from smearing
other people in court just because they have become famous and
wealthy. Money...the root of all evil...

Bill