CK

Default Costco rib roasts

Went to Costco to look for prime rib for Christmas dinner, and they had
standing rib roast ($7.99/lb) and boneless rib eye ($8.99/lb). Both were
choice grade. Is standing rib the same as prime rib, except for the grade?
And how does boneless rib eye compare?

Carolyn

Nancy Young

CK wrote:

> Went to Costco to look for prime rib for Christmas dinner, and they had
> standing rib roast ($7.99/lb) and boneless rib eye ($8.99/lb). Both were
> choice grade. Is standing rib the same as prime rib, except for the grade?
> And how does boneless rib eye compare?

Too funny, your timing is impecible. I won't bore you with why.

Go for the bone in. That's where the flavor is.

nancy
PENMART01

"CK" > writes:

> Is standing rib the same as prime rib, except for the grade?

That's like asking if Buick is the same as Porche, except for the handling.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

j.j.

Hark! I heard "CK" > say:

> Went to Costco to look for prime rib for Christmas dinner, and they had
> standing rib roast ($7.99/lb) and boneless rib eye ($8.99/lb). Both were
> choice grade. Is standing rib the same as prime rib, except for the grade?

I *think* so, but if I'm wrong, one of the experts here will happily
correct me. Here's a good link on beef grading, if you're interested:

http://www.manlyweb.com/food/beef/grades.html

> And how does boneless rib eye compare?

No, no; always go for the bone. Okay, that didn't sound right, but you
know what I mean...

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Mr. Wizard

"CK" > wrote in message
> Went to Costco to look for prime rib for Christmas dinner, and they had
> standing rib roast ($7.99/lb) and boneless rib eye ($8.99/lb). Both were
> choice grade. Is standing rib the same as prime rib, except for the

grade?
> And how does boneless rib eye compare?
>
> Carolyn

Prime Rib refers to the section from the 6th to the 12th ribs, inclusive.
This does not include the 5th rib forward, which is part of the "chuck"
and the 13th rib backwards, which is part of the "loin".
The "Grade" is irrelevant. You want the bigger end (chuck end) of the
rib section for a roast. I prefer the rib roast over the rib eye as its
drippings
make better gravy.

Mr. Wizard

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message

> "CK" > wrote in message
> > Went to Costco to look for prime rib for Christmas dinner, and they had
> > standing rib roast ($7.99/lb) and boneless rib eye ($8.99/lb). Both

were
> > choice grade. Is standing rib the same as prime rib, except for the

> grade?
> > And how does boneless rib eye compare?
> >
> > Carolyn
> >

> Prime Rib refers to the section from the 6th to the 12th ribs, inclusive.
> This does not include the 5th rib forward, which is part of the "chuck"
> and the 13th rib backwards, which is part of the "loin".
> The "Grade" is irrelevant. You want the bigger end (chuck end) of the
> rib section for a roast. I prefer the rib roast over the rib eye as its
> drippings make better gravy.

Another excellent choice is the Round Tip Roast. It is also called
the Pikes Peak Roast. Tremendous flavor and very tender.

PENMART01

"Mr. <S>Wizard</S> MOUTH" writes:

>Prime Rib refers to the section from the 6th to the 12th ribs

Proof.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Mr. Wizard

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> "Mr. <S>Wizard</S> MOUTH" writes:
> >
> >Prime Rib refers to the section from the 6th to the 12th ribs

> Proof.

I'm not sure when he actually coined the term, but Charles Ranhofer
world famous chef de cuisine at Delmonico's from 1862 to 1896 writes
about "Prime Rib" and illustrates in his 1894 book "The Epicurean".
That is decades before USDA Grading.
I wanted to make sure the information is available on the net so I
did a google search using only his name and got several hits.
Here are the best examples.
http://www.cbbqa.com/notes/PrimeRib.html
http://tinyurl.com/z11x

PENMART01

"Mr. Wize MOUTH" writes:

>"PENMART01" wrote:
>> "Mr. Wize MOUTH" writes:
>> >
>> >Prime Rib refers to the section from the 6th to the 12th ribs

>> Proof.
>>

>Here are the best examples.
>http://www.cbbqa.com/notes/PrimeRib.html

This ain't proof, it's OPINION:
"Prime rib does not always mean "USDA prime grade"
"<U>Opinion</U> by JOE O'CONNELL"

>http://tinyurl.com/z11x

"Alvarez said the inn's secret is high-choice beef"

And this is also a writer's opinion, and bullshit... what the frig is
"high-choice beef"?

My ass is HIGH-CHOICE BEEF, but it ain't Prime Rib... you see any purple USDA
grade markings transversing the crack of my ass, eh?

"Proof" means a corroborative reference that is generally highly regarded, NOT
some unknown idiot's editorialized opinion

prime rib
The term "prime rib" is often incorrectly used as a label for what is actually
a *RIB ROAST*. Culinarily, the term "prime" actually refers to the highest USDA
beef grade. It's only given to the finest beef, hallmarked by even marbling and
a creamy layer of fat. Very little prime beef makes it past the better hotels
and restaurants or prestige butchers. The best grade of beef generally found in
supermarkets is USDA Choice. Therefore, although "prime rib" is how rib roast
is often labeled, chances are that it's USDA Choice beef.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Stay away from this roast.
It has too much fat content.
Have a nice flank steak,or
round steak. Marinate for flavor.
And eat more vegetables and
fruits. You must think of you
arteries to your heart.

Drink water for dessert.

Katra

PENMART01 wrote:

> "CK" > writes:
>
> > Is standing rib the same as prime rib, except for the grade?

> That's like asking if Buick is the same as Porche, except for the handling.
>
> Sheldon
> ````````````

Hey jailbait, that did not answer his questions, even tho' it
was funny... ;-D

Go for the bone in. It has better flavor.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Curandera

So your theory is that prime rib ONLY exists here in the USA where the USDA
has viewed it and marks it so?

Pity the rest of the world with no prime rib.

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> "Mr. Wize MOUTH" writes:

> >> Proof.
> >>

> >Here are the best examples.
> >http://www.cbbqa.com/notes/PrimeRib.html

> This ain't proof, it's OPINION:
> "Prime rib does not always mean "USDA prime grade"
> "<U>Opinion</U> by JOE O'CONNELL"
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/z11x

> "Alvarez said the inn's secret is high-choice beef"
>
> And this is also a writer's opinion, and bullshit... what the frig is
> "high-choice beef"?
>
> My ass is HIGH-CHOICE BEEF, but it ain't Prime Rib... you see any purple

USDA
> grade markings transversing the crack of my ass, eh?
>
> "Proof" means a corroborative reference that is generally highly regarded,

NOT
> some unknown idiot's editorialized opinion
>
> prime rib
> The term "prime rib" is often incorrectly used as a label for what is

actually
> a *RIB ROAST*. Culinarily, the term "prime" actually refers to the highest

USDA
> beef grade. It's only given to the finest beef, hallmarked by even

marbling and
> a creamy layer of fat. Very little prime beef makes it past the better

hotels
> and restaurants or prestige butchers. The best grade of beef generally

found in
> supermarkets is USDA Choice. Therefore, although "prime rib" is how rib

roast
> is often labeled, chances are that it's USDA Choice beef.
>
> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
> based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

PENMART01

"Curandera-Tinyminded" writes:

>So your theory is that prime rib ONLY exists here in the USA where the USDA
>has viewed it and marks it so?

Many of the world's better eateries import USDA Prime beef, same as the US
imports many highly touted wines, cheeses, vinegars, caviars, hams, sausages,
confections, and many, many other food and non-food products... most folks in
the US have never and will never eat USDA Prime beef... like you ferinstance...
yer granny's gash is about as prime eating as you'll ever experience,
hillybilly idiot.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Mr. Wizard

"PENMART01" The unknown >
> "Mr. Wize MOUTH" writes:

> >> Proof.
> >>

> >Here are the best examples.
> >http://www.cbbqa.com/notes/PrimeRib.html

> This ain't proof, it's OPINION:
> "Prime rib does not always mean "USDA prime grade"
> "<U>Opinion</U> by JOE O'CONNELL"
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/z11x

> "Alvarez said the inn's secret is high-choice beef"
>
> And this is also a writer's opinion, and bullshit... what the frig is
> "high-choice beef"?
>
> My ass is HIGH-CHOICE BEEF, but it ain't Prime Rib... you see any purple

USDA
> grade markings transversing the crack of my ass, eh?
>
> "Proof" means a corroborative reference that is generally highly regarded,

NOT
> some unknown idiot's editorialized opinion

So you ignore the evidence that the Chef at Delmonico's called it
Prime Rib at least fourty years before the USDA Grading?
And the fact that he explains it in his book with illustrations?

> prime rib
> The term "prime rib" is often incorrectly used as a label for what is

actually
> a *RIB ROAST*. Culinarily, the term "prime" actually refers to the highest

USDA
> beef grade. It's only given to the finest beef, hallmarked by even

marbling and
> a creamy layer of fat. Very little prime beef makes it past the better

hotels
> and restaurants or prestige butchers. The best grade of beef generally

found in
> supermarkets is USDA Choice. Therefore, although "prime rib" is how rib

roast
> is often labeled, chances are that it's USDA Choice beef.
>
> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
> based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

This is not just the authors opinion but an uneducated one at that.

pavane

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message

> So you ignore the evidence that the Chef at Delmonico's called it
> Prime Rib at least fourty years before the USDA Grading?
> And the fact that he explains it in his book with illustrations?

Totally irrelevant. This is like saying that if a sous-chef
at Locke-Ober's in 1890 called a fledgling sparkling wine
from New York "Champagne" all sparkling wines have to
be called Champagne forever. Utter nonsense.

pavane

pavane

"Curandera" > wrote in message
> So your theory is that prime rib ONLY exists here in the USA where the

USDA
> has viewed it and marks it so?

The designation "Prime" in reference to beef indeed exists
only in the USA as a legal definition, so yes, what you are
saying is true. People from any other country can call a cut
of beef "prime" without stepping on the legal definitions used
by their countries. Not true in the US. Think about it.

pavane

Curandera

Try to focus:

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> "Curandera-Tinyminded" writes:
> >
> >So your theory is that prime rib ONLY exists here in the USA where the

USDA
> >has viewed it and marks it so?

> Many of the world's better eateries import USDA Prime beef, same as the US
> imports many highly touted wines, cheeses, vinegars, caviars, hams,

sausages,
> confections, and many, many other food and non-food products... most folks

in
> the US have never and will never eat USDA Prime beef... like you

ferinstance...
> yer granny's gash is about as prime eating as you'll ever experience,
> hillybilly idiot.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

PENMART01

"Curandera" writes:

>Try to focus:

It is already determined that you are an imbecile.

So, would you like that I next focus on your momma?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Curandera

Try focusing on the question. Take your time. Look up an answer.

Once again:

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> "Curandera" writes:
> >
> >Try to focus:

> It is already determined that you are an imbecile.
>
> So, would you like that I next focus on your momma?
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Mr. Wizard

"Curandera" > wrote in message
m...
> Try focusing on the question. Take your time. Look up an answer.
>
> Once again:
> So your theory is that prime rib ONLY exists here in the USA where the

USDA
> has viewed it and marks it so?
>

> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > "Curandera" writes:
> > >
> > >Try to focus:

> > It is already determined that you are an imbecile.
> >
> > So, would you like that I next focus on your momma?
> >

> > ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> > ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> > Sheldon
> > ````````````
> > "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Here is a quote from "Mister Ogers" about "Sheldon" I found on google;

"This is a guy that sits in his underwear 24/7 and surfs the net.
He looks like a toad and acts like one also.
The word LOSER comes to mind.
He has never said what he does for a living.
I suspect he is over 50 and still lives with his Mom.
He is a pitiful source of information and will search engine
the shit out of every post so he can refute it and if he can't
all he can do is name call.
He is the asshole of all assholes...."

Bob Pastorio

Curandera wrote:
> Try to focus:
>
> So your theory is that prime rib ONLY exists here in the USA where the USDA
> has viewed it and marks it so?

USDA doesn't mark any meat as "prime rib." But the spirit of your
question does make its point. Cattle all have rib sections that are
universally recognized as good roasts. They don't need to be "prime"
grade to be wonderful eating.

> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
>
>>Curandera writes:
>>So your theory is that prime rib ONLY exists here in the USA where the
>> USDA has viewed it and marks it so?
>>
>>Many of the world's better eateries import USDA Prime beef,

Nonsense. So little "prime" grade beef in produced, that almost none
makes it out of the country. Go into "better eateries" in Europe and
ask for American beef and see how long the laughter continues.
American beef is generally more tender than that produced in the rest
of the world. But that's hardly the only criterion for judging the
quality of the dish. Depth of flavor,

Sheldon, "Cookie" Katz learned to cook in the Navy. See why he has
such a deep knowledge of the world's cuisines? They call them "mess
halls" not "culinary wizardry halls."

>> most folks
>>in the US have never and will never eat USDA Prime beef...

So lessee if I have it right here. Every restaurant in the US that
sells "prime rib" is serving prime grade meat because otherwise it
would be false advertising and illegal also because of the
misrepresentation of USDA grades? So that means it's "prime" prime
rib. Or the entire American restaurant industry is pulling a scam?
Deliberately deceiving the American public in hundreds of thousands of
eateries daily? Can't be, right?

But somehow, most Americans won't get any? Sounds like a contradiction
somehow? OR could it be that so little prime grade meat is produced
that there isn't much to go around? And the true prime meats that go
to market are very expensive and, therefore, have an extremely limited
market? And could it also be that "prime rib" is the name of a dish
served in restaurants that has nothing to do with "prime" grading?

Shitwit Sheldon will quote Sharon Tyler Herbst again as though she
represents the distilled wisdom of the ages. But note how he goes
there instead of the USDA. And the NAMP <http://www.namp.com/>. And
the meat commodity markets. Great research.

Advice for the futu Sheldon't.

Pastorio

Bob Pastorio

pavane wrote:
> "Curandera" > wrote in message
>
>>So your theory is that prime rib ONLY exists here in the USA where the
>> USDA has viewed it and marks it so?

> The designation "Prime" in reference to beef indeed exists
> only in the USA as a legal definition, so yes, what you are
> saying is true. People from any other country can call a cut
> of beef "prime" without stepping on the legal definitions used
> by their countries. Not true in the US. Think about it.

Think nothing. This is apples, oranges and nonsense.

The grade "prime" is an American designation and is used as a
categorical description of certain physical characteristics of the
beef. It's not an absolute but is subject to judgement by the inspector.

There is no package marked by the USDA as "prime rib." That's the name
of a cut and never marked as such. They also don't mark rib eyes,
sirloins, filets or any other cut.

"Prime rib" doesn't have to be "prime" grade. Like "Chef's choice"
beef tips on a menu don't have to be "choice" grade.

Pastorio

Bob Pastorio

pavane wrote:

> "Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
>
>>So you ignore the evidence that the Chef at Delmonico's called it
>>Prime Rib at least fourty years before the USDA Grading?
>>And the fact that he explains it in his book with illustrations?
>>

> Totally irrelevant. This is like saying that if a sous-chef
> at Locke-Ober's in 1890 called a fledgling sparkling wine
> from New York "Champagne" all sparkling wines have to
> be called Champagne forever. Utter nonsense.

It's a lousy analogy. The name "prime rib" was in common currency well
before the idea of grading for quality or even meat inspection. It's a
confusion that has stood the test of time, explanation, and formal
definition. Generally amongst a group of artificially fastidious pedants.

"Prime rib" (two words used as a single name for a cut/dish) is
recognized in the industry as such. Every meatcutter knows what that
means. Every chef. Every restaurant owner. Every trade association.
The USDA. Cattle ranchers. The consuming public, most of whom don't
know about meat grades (If they did would they buy pre-packaged meats
at Wal-Mart and other supermarkets?).

"Prime" grade meat (one word used as a descriptor) is recognized as a
totally different subject by everyone in the commercial chain. No
professionals are confused about the fact that the same word appears
in two different contexts.

It's like goat's milk and soy milk. And coconut milk. And almond milk.
And the milk of human kindness. And the land of milk and honey. And
that stuff that comes from cows.

And milking a usenet thread well beyond any rational conclusion from
the sheer stubbornness of not understanding what the people who
defined all this actually said and continue to say. The organizations
that oversee the trade in beef. The government agencies that define
cuts. The cutters who have specific technical names for their cuts.
The restaurant operators who write menus based on long history.

And to further confound the hair-splitters, prime rib can also be
referred to as a "standing rib roast." Imagine the distress amongst
the populace when that comes out. <gasp> Home cooks use that
expression most often (you'll have to look very far and very wide to
find it on a restaurant menu) because it's not the whole section,
merely a cut from it. A few ribs, not the entire piece. And,
typically, it's called that because the bones are still in it and make
it possible to stand. That's what meat retailers call if because they
know that home cooks call it that when they cook it.

Food service operators generally cook them lying (bone side) down,
whether they have bones (called a 109 in the trade) or not (called a
112, but there are others as well). More can fit into the oven and the
fat cap protects the meat better. Keeps it more juicy and lets more of
it be red.

Pastorio

Mr. Wizard

> pavane wrote:
>
> > "Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
> >
> >>So you ignore the evidence that the Chef at Delmonico's called it
> >>Prime Rib at least fourty years before the USDA Grading?
> >>And the fact that he explains it in his book with illustrations?
> >>

> > Totally irrelevant. This is like saying that if a sous-chef
> > at Locke-Ober's in 1890 called a fledgling sparkling wine
> > from New York "Champagne" all sparkling wines have to
> > be called Champagne forever. Utter nonsense.

It wasn't a sous chef you buffoon. It was Charles Ranhofer.
World famous chef de cuisine at Delmonico's from 1862 to 1896.
He was the first to put the item termed "Prime Rib" on a menu.

SportKite1

>From: "Mr. Wizard"

>He looks like a toad

Nah, he's actually kinda cute.

>He has never said what he does for a living.

He's retired, and some of us here know what he used to do, but I'm not
telling...but trust that it would surprise you.

Ellen

Bob Pastorio

SportKite1 wrote:

>>From: "Mr. Wizard"

>>He looks like a toad

> Nah, he's actually kinda cute.
>
>>He has never said what he does for a living.

> He's retired, and some of us here know what he used to do, but I'm not
> telling...but trust that it would surprise you.

A bit too cute, Ellen.

We old-timers know something you don't know, nyah, nyah...

In any event, what he used to do doesn't really speak to what he does
here and now. And how he does it. And why he does it.

Google (and several other search engines) shows many things,
grasshopper...

Slice it any way you want to, Sheldon is an juvenile, unmannerly pig
whose culinary expertise comes from other people's books from which he
cheerfully plagiarizes. Or quotes repeatedly, as though that puts a
close to any question. As though Sharon Tyler Herbst is the pinnacle
of culinary knowledge. Note how often she's quoted by or even
mentioned by professionals.

Pastorio

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Curandera" > wrote in message
> Try to focus:
>
> So your theory is that prime rib ONLY exists here in the USA where the

USDA
> has viewed it and marks it so?

In my area of the world (which would be Winnipeg, Canada--the south end of
the city, specifically), supermarkets sell "rib roast" or "standing rib
roast." Sometimes it will be graded AA or AAA but it is never graded
"prime." Restaurants, however, will sometimes advertise "prime rib"
dinners.

rona

SportKite1

>From: Bob Pastorio

>In any event, what he used to do doesn't really speak to what he does
>here and now. And how he does it. And why he does it.

Why do you care so much? Seems like an obsession to me.

Ellen

Goomba38

SportKite1 wrote:

> >From: "Mr. Wizard"
>

> >He looks like a toad

> Nah, he's actually kinda cute.
>
> >He has never said what he does for a living.

> He's retired, and some of us here know what he used to do, but I'm not
> telling...but trust that it would surprise you.
>
> Ellen

I can certainly vouch for that!! I was *very* impressed.
Goomba

pavane

Default ...OT to Bobby and Mr. Wizard...

Bobby and Mr. Wizard:

Relax. Take a few deep breaths, open a bottle of good
Champagne and put a quiet CD on the stereo, sit down,
think nice thoughts. Be at peace with yourselves and
with your environs. A silly little disagreement on arcane
terminology is not worth your having a stroke.

pavane

Bob Pastorio

SportKite1 wrote:

>>From: Bob Pastorio

>>In any event, what he used to do doesn't really speak to what he does
>>here and now. And how he does it. And why he does it.

> Why do you care so much? Seems like an obsession to me.

Thank you for your professional psychiatric evaluation. I must make
certain to put it into my medical records.

Sheldon is now killfiled on my machine here. I can only see what he
posts as quotations in other people's notes.

He's still often wrong. He's still often gratuitously malicious. He
still spews ethnic slurs for the sheer sake of offending. He's still
often belligerent for no apparent reason. He's most assuredly a
plagiarist. He has already quoted enough of Sharon Tyler Herbst's book
that no one needs to buy it. (He somehow, erroneously, seems to think
that that one source is more accurate than any other.) And I can get
that just from what's quoted never mind whole posts.

And he does it all because he knows he can't be stopped. I don't
recall anyone saying his actions are reasonable, desirable or
constructive. Based on what I've seen in the past several years here,
he provides little of value and much pointless ugliness. The balance
isn't close. Every so often I comment. I don't feel constrained to be
kind to him.

Pastorio

pavane

"Bob Pastorio" > wrote in message

> He's still often wrong. He's still often gratuitously malicious. He
> still spews ethnic slurs for the sheer sake of offending.

Ethnic slurs? I don't remember any; sexist and sexual
to be sure, and some scatological slurs, but not ethnic.
Can you quote any?

pavane

Reg

pavane wrote:

> Ethnic slurs? I don't remember any; sexist and sexual
> to be sure, and some scatological slurs, but not ethnic.
> Can you quote any?

No need. Anyone that reads this group at all has seen him use the
word WOP a few thousand times. Where have you been on this one?

ObFood; Here's a bbq rub I'm giving as a second tier xmas
present this year. About 50 5oz jars so far.

Quantity Ingredient
0.25 C Paprika
0.25 C Garlic Powder
5.00 t Onion Powder
1.00 T Salt
1.00 T Black Pepper
1.00 T Dark Brown Sugar
1.00 T Sage
1.00 T Thyme
1.00 T Smoked Tomato
1.00 T Guajillo Chile
1.00 T Pasilla Chile
1.00 t Cumin
1.00 t Ginger
1.00 t Clove
1.00 t Caraway
0.50 t Juniper

Bob Pastorio

hahabogus wrote:

> Seems you get more cooking posts on topic if sheldon detractors=20
> were killfiled than if you killfiled sheldon.
>=20
> Sure his manners stink. His language is foul. But after you hear that m=

ore=20
> than 20 times a day it gets boring. Now can we get on with life?
>=20
> I would like to create a rule...If you want to moan, complain or react =

to=20
> Sheldon...To get people to listen there should be a Tax...A one origina=

l=20
> recipe Tax...A recipe never posted hear before.
>=20
> This one recipe would allow a one post rant of choice. No recipe No Ran=

t.
> Simplicity.=20

Ok, I'll start on my backlog assuming that I'm already in debt for=20
recipes. Here's a start on the idea. A column I wrote a while back.

Just loafing along, meating new friends
It all started when a curmudgeonly acquaintance mentioned that his=20
birthday was coming up and he just knew that there would be a cake and=20
all the rest of the sweets that go with it. He hates sweets. A real=20
meat and potatoes guy is he. He said he'd rather have a meat cake.=20
Suited his disposition better, he said.
I thought about that. Why not? Lessee. Birthday cakes are usually=20
a couple layers with some sort of filling between and frosting on the=20
outside. A meat cake? No problem.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEAT CAKE
Two layers of =93cake=94 with a =93filling=94 and a lovely =93frosting.=94=
What=20
else could you ask for? The first 8 ingredients are a good, basic=20
meatloaf recipe. We'll see other places to use it later.
Serves 8 or 10.
3 pounds ground beef
1 pound ground pork
2 cups catsup
3 cups bread crumbs
1 medium onion, finely chopped
6 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/ 2 teaspoon pepper
2 cake pans, round, 8 or 9 inches
5 pounds of potatoes, peeled and diced
1 stick butter
1 cup of half-and-half
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 pound bacon, cooked and drained
Heat oven to 350. Combine meats, catsup, crumbs and eggs and divide=20
in half. Pat the meat into the cake pans to make two flat meatloaves=20
and bake for 45 minutes. Boil potatoes in lightly salted water for=20
20 minutes and drain well. Mash potatoes with butter and cream for=20
frosting. The potatoes should be smooth. Assemble the layer cake=20
beginning with a layer of meat. Put most of the cheese and bacon over=20
top. Cover with the other meat loaf. Frost the =93cake=94 with the=20
mashed potatoes. You might want to pipe some attractive design on the=20
cake. Artfully sprinkle the remaining cheese and bacon over top. A=20
few candles and you're ready to go.

MY GRANDMOTHER'S STUFFED MEAT LOAF
Serves 8
2 pounds ground beef
1 pound ground pork
3/4 cup tomato sauce, divided
=BD teaspoon oregano
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons red wine
1/4 pound ham, sliced very thin
1/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
1 bunch broccoli, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces and boiled for 5=20
minutes
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oven to 350. Combine meats, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, oregano,=20
crumbs, milk and wine and mix well. Lay out a piece of wax paper or=20
aluminum foil about 24 inches long. Spread the meat mixture on the=20
foil to a 10x16 inch rectangle. Lay the sliced ham on the meat=20
leaving an inch all around. Same with the cheese. Drain the broccoli=20
well and spread it on top. Lifting the edge of the foil, roll the=20
meat loaf jellyroll-style. Pinch the edges gently to seal. Put the=20
loaf on a broiler pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 =BD hours brushing=20
periodically with remaining tomato sauce. Let rest for 10 minutes and=20
slice for service.
She made them different every time. Here are some variations: ground=20
beef, veal and pork mixed together. Sometimes, she added a half-cup=20
of ricotta cheese. Other times, she'd run a line of hard-cooked eggs=20
down the center. Red peppers. Fried onions. Leftover veggies.

FOILED AGAIN MEAT LOAF IN CABBAGE LEAVES
And here's one you can do on your grill.
Serves 8
Meat recipe from =93cake=94 divided into 8 portions
8 cabbage leaves
8 slices of cheddar cheese
8 slices of onion
Cut 4 (1 foot) squares of heavy duty foil. On each square, place a=20
large cabbage leaf. On top of the leaf, put 1 meat portion, a slice=20
of cheese and a slice of onion. Close the cabbage leaf over the meat=20
and wrap and seal in the foil. Cook 15-20 minutes over medium-high=20
gas flame in your grill. Add sliced mushrooms, peppers, pickles, hot=20
sauce or thin slices of potato.
Here are some tips for when you make your variations. A thick sauce=20
or glaze of ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, water, salt and=20
pepper poured over top of a basic meat loaf adds good flavor and=20
moisture. Poke holes all along the top of the loaf before pouring on=20
the sauce so it gets down inside. Use a fork, the handle of a wooden=20
spoon, your thumb - whatever.
Form the meat in a ring mold, unmold onto a baking pan and bake for=20
45 or 50 minutes. Spoon off excess fat. Combine ketchup, sugar, and=20
mustard and spread over meat. Return to oven for 10 minutes to glaze.=20
Lift onto a tray for service. You can fill the center of the ring=20
with mashed potatoes or a bouquet of broccoli.
For adding flavors, vegetable purees are wonderful. Add a jar or two=20
of baby food to the basic mix. Carrots, peas, you can browse the=20
shelves. Or make your own from leftovers.
To make individual meat loaves, lightly butter a 6-cup muffin tin.=20
Divide the meat mixture among them. Put the muffin tin on a cookie=20
sheet and bake for 25 minutes or so. To serve, pour off fat. Cover=20
the muffin tin with a tray and gently invert to dislodge meat loaves.=20
Spoon sauce over.
For a German feel, add rye bread crumbs, some drained sauerkraut and=20
a teaspoon or so of caraway seed to the basic recipe at the top of the=20
article.
For a very different variation made from ground pork and/or poultry,=20
add chopped apples, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg to the meat and baste=20
with apple juice.

RESURRECTED MEAT LOAF
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
5 or 6 slices cooked meat loaf, 1/ 2 inch thick
Combine crumbs and cheese. Dip meat slices in egg. Coat with=20
cheese-crumb mixture. Cook meat in a little oil over medium heat=20
about 5 minutes per side.

Bob Pastorio

pavane wrote:

> Bobby and Mr. Wizard:
>
> Relax. Take a few deep breaths, open a bottle of good
> Champagne and put a quiet CD on the stereo, sit down,
> think nice thoughts. Be at peace with yourselves and
> with your environs. A silly little disagreement on arcane
> terminology is not worth your having a stroke.

Really, with all due respect, save your little lectures for someone
else. You mistake intensity of expression for distress. You also
assume that that somnolent picture you create would suit either of us.
I can't speak for the Wiz, but I'm fine. Truly.

My wife, daughter and I are planning the rest of the holiday season
tonight. We're wrapping the infused vodkas I made (5 flavors per set -
lemon, lime, orange, hot pepper and pomegranate). The books and toys
to go into the trunks I made for my grandsons. The chef's kit I
assembled for my granddaughter in culinary school (tackle box,
customized, with all sorts of kitchen needs from very good knives to
specialty tools - like a mushroom fluter I included for the hell of it.).

Yesterday we spent the day in Washington wandering from museum to
museum around the Mall. Saw the Hope diamond again. Walked through
Skylab and touched a piece of moon rock. Wandered the halls of the
Hirshhorn. Bought more gifts for people. Went to Phillips' Restaurant
at the waterfront for sushi. Like that...

Thank you for your concern. Where's your recipe?

Pastorio