Richard's ~JA~

Default Mac & Cheese Recipe?

My mother made the best mac & cheese ever, which I have tried several
times to replicate, and failed. Hers had a heavy, buttery texture, and
was made with sharp cheddar. As much as the good, sharp cheddar taste,
the dish had an excellent "fork" texture, rather than being
spoon-creamy. If any one of you may have a recipe solution for me, it
certainly will be appreciated as well as reported on.

=A0=A0=A0Picky ~JA~

Nancy Young

Richard's ~JA~ wrote:

> My mother made the best mac & cheese ever, which I have tried several
> times to replicate, and failed. Hers had a heavy, buttery texture, and
> was made with sharp cheddar. As much as the good, sharp cheddar taste,
> the dish had an excellent "fork" texture, rather than being
> spoon-creamy. If any one of you may have a recipe solution for me, it
> certainly will be appreciated as well as reported on.

Hope this helps. nancy

Macaroni and Cheese (365 Ways to Cook Pasta)

4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk, preheated
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Pinch of ground red pepper
1 pound elbow macaroni, start heating up the water to boil first
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4 cups)
Buttered Bread Crumbs (optional, recipe follows)(I always make them)

Melt butter in a large saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Cook,
stirring, over low heat, about 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in hot milk
until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils; cook,
stirring frequently, over low heat, until thick and smooth, about 10
minutes. Season with mustard, salt and red pepper.

Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in plenty of boiling salted water until
al dente, or firm to the bite, about 8 minutes; drain.

Combine the sauce, 3 cups of the cheese, and macaroni. Transfer to a
buttered 9X13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining one cup
cheese and then with buttered crumbs. Bake in a preheated 350 oven
until browned and bubbly, about 45 minutes.

(I bake this in 2-9 inch square Pyrex baking dishes. Watch the baking
time if you do that)

Buttered Bread Crumbs

3 slices firm white bread (I use Pepperage Farm Toasting White)
3 tablespoons butter

Tear bread into pieces and make into crumbs in food processor or
blender. There should be about 1 1/3 cups. Heat butter in a medium
skillet over medium heat. When foam subsides, stir in the bread crumbs.
Saute, stirring, until crumbs are golden and butter has been absorbed,
about 4 minutes.
L Beck

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Richard's ~JA~ wrote:
> >
> > My mother made the best mac & cheese ever, which I have tried several
> > times to replicate, and failed. Hers had a heavy, buttery texture, and
> > was made with sharp cheddar. As much as the good, sharp cheddar taste,
> > the dish had an excellent "fork" texture, rather than being
> > spoon-creamy. If any one of you may have a recipe solution for me, it
> > certainly will be appreciated as well as reported on.

> Hope this helps. nancy
>

> Macaroni and Cheese (365 Ways to Cook Pasta)
>
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
> 4 cups milk, preheated
> 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
> 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
> Pinch of ground red pepper
> 1 pound elbow macaroni, start heating up the water to boil first
> 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4 cups)
> Buttered Bread Crumbs (optional, recipe follows)(I always make them)
>
> Melt butter in a large saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Cook,
> stirring, over low heat, about 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in hot milk
> until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils; cook,
> stirring frequently, over low heat, until thick and smooth, about 10
> minutes. Season with mustard, salt and red pepper.
>
> Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in plenty of boiling salted water until
> al dente, or firm to the bite, about 8 minutes; drain.
>
> Combine the sauce, 3 cups of the cheese, and macaroni. Transfer to a
> buttered 9X13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining one cup
> cheese and then with buttered crumbs. Bake in a preheated 350 oven
> until browned and bubbly, about 45 minutes.
>
> (I bake this in 2-9 inch square Pyrex baking dishes. Watch the baking
> time if you do that)
>
> Buttered Bread Crumbs
>
> 3 slices firm white bread (I use Pepperage Farm Toasting White)
> 3 tablespoons butter
>
> Tear bread into pieces and make into crumbs in food processor or
> blender. There should be about 1 1/3 cups. Heat butter in a medium
> skillet over medium heat. When foam subsides, stir in the bread crumbs.
> Saute, stirring, until crumbs are golden and butter has been absorbed,
> about 4 minutes.

This sounds quite a bit like the mac and cheese that my mother used to make.
However, she added at least part of the shredded cheese right to the white
sauce and melted it before mixing with the mac and baking. Other than that
it's almost identical, and she didn't follow any recipe, either. Moms of
the '40s seemed to instinctively know how to do things.

Richard's ~JA~

Default Mac & Cheese Recipe...Report

Thank you all, I have my mac & cheese in the oven right now! I've sort
of used a combination of the recipes given, altering with the larger
part of the more than a pound of sharp cheddar in 1/2" cubes, rather
than grated; didn't use tobasco or garlic, but did use toasted onion
granules; I used French's prepared mustard, rather than mustard powder,
evaporated milk instead of whole, along with whipped eggs; sweet paprika
but no bread crumbs and I am checking it every 8 minutes or so to stir,
and if if any thinning may be needed I will do that with sour cream!

=A0=A0=A0Picky ~JA~

Glenn Jacobs

Macaroni and Cheese with Basil Sauce

1 lb. of Pasta (Elbow Macaroni or Penne)
4 or 5 Tomatoes fresh and skinned (preferably) or canned
½ lb. Italian Sausage (Hot or Mild) cut in short lengths
4 to 8 cloves of Garlic
1 medium onion
2 tblsn of Sweet Basil
2 tblsn of Olive Oil
1 lb. of Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Cook and drain the pasta normally.

Make a fritura, by sautéing onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
When onion is translucent, add skinned tomatoes. Add basil simmer until,
liquid is mostly gone.

In parallel sauté Italian sausage in remaining olive oil, until barely
done. Drain. Set aside.

Layer the all ingredients in a casserole or baking dish. Bake until the
cheese is mostly melted in a 350º oven, about 30 minutes. If necessary
cover with foil to prevent browning.

--
JakeInHartsel
Richard's ~JA~

Jake's Mac & Cheese, Basil recipe is certainly one I will be trying.
Thanks!

=A0=A0=A0Picky ~JA~

Z GIRL

"Glenn Jacobs" > wrote in message

> Macaroni and Cheese with Basil Sauce
>

> 1 lb. of Pasta (Elbow Macaroni or Penne)
> 4 or 5 Tomatoes fresh and skinned (preferably) or canned
> ½ lb. Italian Sausage (Hot or Mild) cut in short lengths
> 4 to 8 cloves of Garlic
> 1 medium onion
> 2 tblsn of Sweet Basil
> 2 tblsn of Olive Oil
> 1 lb. of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
>
> Cook and drain the pasta normally.
>
> Make a fritura, by sautéing onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
> When onion is translucent, add skinned tomatoes. Add basil simmer until,
> liquid is mostly gone.
>
> In parallel sauté Italian sausage in remaining olive oil, until barely
> done. Drain. Set aside.
>
> Layer the all ingredients in a casserole or baking dish. Bake until the
> cheese is mostly melted in a 350º oven, about 30 minutes. If necessary
> cover with foil to prevent browning.
>
> --
> JakeInHartsel

Now that sounds like something Jim would like. I make my Mac and cheese by
adding Velveeta to a white sauce ( yes I said Velveeta ;-) . Jim liked it
but his complaint was that I would like some meat in it". ~sigh~. I will
give this a try, just for Jim.

peace,
Barbara

Richard's ~JA~

>Let us know what you thought of it after you
>had some!

Thinking you may have meant me, with my making of what I'd hoped would
by most like my mother's mac & cheese, it was quite alright and I will
be making it in the same way next time, but with most of the cheese in
larger cubes and with a bit more mustard added to the mix.

=A0=A0=A0Picky ~JA~

Lance M

I was unable to find it on the foodtv.com website.
Could you give the specific url?
Or better yet, post it?

Thanks!

(Richard's ~JA~) wrote:
>>My mother made the best mac & cheese ever, which I have tried several
>>times to replicate, and failed. Hers had a heavy, buttery texture, and
>>was made with sharp cheddar. As much as the good, sharp cheddar taste,
>>the dish had an excellent "fork" texture, rather than being
>>spoon-creamy. If any one of you may have a recipe solution for me, it
>>certainly will be appreciated as well as reported on.

>Get the Good Eats stovetop mac&cheese recipe from foodtv.com.
>You'll never go back....

The Cook

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._20360,00.html
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Lance M

Thanks much.

Ok, now that is good.
Not bowl-you-over can't-get-up-for-an-hour fantasic, but way better than
Kraft. (sorry for using the k* word. It's the best point of reference I
have. I was sheltered.)
I used about half the salt and it's plenty. Alton seems to use quite a
bit of salt. Don't really know why.
I expected the tabasco sauce to overpower it, but it worked very well.
Not hot at all and adds a nice background aftertaste.
The sharp cheddar is a bit stronger than I expected. I might use mild
next time.

Thanks again!

Lance