Acadia

Default Fire hazard?

On the timer/clock display of our several year old Sharp microwave oven some
parts of the digits have stopped displaying. The oven continues to work
just fine it's just that sometimes you have trouble telling how much cooking
time is remaining because only part of the numerals are showing, for
example, a zero looks like a seven (think about it, it makes sense). Even
though they are cheap these days I'd really hate to purchase a new microwave
that is cooking just fine. My question is this: does any electrical expert
out there consider this to be a fire hazard, a dangerous short of some kind?
Thank you very much.

--
Have both a nice day and a happy life, Acadia.

Chris

Seems to be a problem with the LCD display.

That wouldn't present a fire hazard.

However, it's a good idea to get a new microwave as soon as you can, as it's
always best to be able to see the timer clearly.

Wayne Boatwright

"Acadia" > wrote in
:

> On the timer/clock display of our several year old Sharp microwave
> oven some parts of the digits have stopped displaying. The oven
> continues to work just fine it's just that sometimes you have trouble
> telling how much cooking time is remaining because only part of the
> numerals are showing, for example, a zero looks like a seven (think
> about it, it makes sense). Even though they are cheap these days I'd
> really hate to purchase a new microwave that is cooking just fine. My
> question is this: does any electrical expert out there consider this
> to be a fire hazard, a dangerous short of some kind? Thank you very
> much.

Doubtful that there is any danger. Electronic displays operate on
extremely low voltage.
Joe McElvenney

Hi,

> On the timer/clock display of our several year old Sharp microwave oven some
> parts of the digits have stopped displaying. The oven continues to work
> just fine it's just that sometimes you have trouble telling how much cooking
> time is remaining because only part of the numerals are showing, for
> example, a zero looks like a seven (think about it, it makes sense). Even
> though they are cheap these days I'd really hate to purchase a new microwave
> that is cooking just fine. My question is this: does any electrical expert
> out there consider this to be a fire hazard, a dangerous short of some kind?

Missing sections on a seven-segment display is a very common fault with
older electronic gear and IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. The power required to
drive these things is minuscule and even if it weren't there will be an
internal fuse of some kind to take care of any eventuality.

Cheers - Joe

PENMART01

"Acadia" > writes:

>On the timer/clock display of our several year old Sharp microwave oven some
>parts of the digits have stopped displaying. The oven continues to work
>just fine it's just that sometimes you have trouble telling how much cooking
>time is remaining because only part of the numerals are showing, for
>example, a zero looks like a seven (think about it, it makes sense). Even
>though they are cheap these days I'd really hate to purchase a new microwave
>that is cooking just fine. My question is this: does any electrical expert
>out there consider this to be a fire hazard, a dangerous short of some kind?

"Several year old"... how old is that unit, must be ancient. Sounds like you
have a real old appliance that used those LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) where
sections would eventually burn out, same as a light bulb. The newer units are
fitted with LCDs (Liquid Crystal Displays). In any event there is no risk
involved, just that you'll be inconvenienced with constantly needing to
interpolate those fercocktah numerals. Today's microwave ovens are
inexpensive, get a new one.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Boron Elgar

On 06 Dec 2003 17:09:45 GMT, (PENMART01) wrote:

>"Acadia" > writes:
>
>>On the timer/clock display of our several year old Sharp microwave oven some
>>parts of the digits have stopped displaying. The oven continues to work
>>just fine it's just that sometimes you have trouble telling how much cooking
>>time is remaining because only part of the numerals are showing, for
>>example, a zero looks like a seven (think about it, it makes sense). Even
>>though they are cheap these days I'd really hate to purchase a new microwave
>>that is cooking just fine. My question is this: does any electrical expert
>>out there consider this to be a fire hazard, a dangerous short of some kind?

>"Several year old"... how old is that unit, must be ancient. Sounds like you
>have a real old appliance that used those LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) where
>sections would eventually burn out, same as a light bulb. The newer units are
>fitted with LCDs (Liquid Crystal Displays). In any event there is no risk
>involved, just that you'll be inconvenienced with constantly needing to
>interpolate those fercocktah numerals. Today's microwave ovens are
>inexpensive, get a new one.

Nope. I have a Sharp with a similar problem with a manufacture date
of 1999 and a GE over the range one with LED & a manufacture date of
2002.

You can google on LEDs and microwaves & find a whole mess of them
still being made that way. And you will also find out that Sharp has
trouble with their LCD displays, too. They ain't what they used to be.

Boron
Jean B.

Acadia wrote:

> On the timer/clock display of our several year old Sharp microwave oven some
> parts of the digits have stopped displaying. The oven continues to work
> just fine it's just that sometimes you have trouble telling how much cooking
> time is remaining because only part of the numerals are showing, for
> example, a zero looks like a seven (think about it, it makes sense). Even
> though they are cheap these days I'd really hate to purchase a new microwave
> that is cooking just fine. My question is this: does any electrical expert
> out there consider this to be a fire hazard, a dangerous short of some kind?
> Thank you very much.

It's a good excuse to buy a Panasonic! That's what I'm doing.

--
Jean B.
Wayne Boatwright

"Jean B." > wrote in :

> Acadia wrote:
>>
>> On the timer/clock display of our several year old Sharp microwave
>> oven some parts of the digits have stopped displaying. The oven
>> continues to work just fine it's just that sometimes you have trouble
>> telling how much cooking time is remaining because only part of the
>> numerals are showing, for example, a zero looks like a seven (think
>> about it, it makes sense). Even though they are cheap these days I'd
>> really hate to purchase a new microwave that is cooking just fine.
>> My question is this: does any electrical expert out there consider
>> this to be a fire hazard, a dangerous short of some kind? Thank you
>> very much.
>>

> It's a good excuse to buy a Panasonic! That's what I'm doing.

About six months ago we bought a Panasonic with "inverter technology",
automatic "turbo" defrost and cook, and 1350 watts power. We love it!
The only feature I miss in our previous GE over-the-range unit is the
temperature probe. I used the probe for heating liquids to just the
right temperature for yeast breads.

Oh, BTW, we purchased a medium-sized unit due to counter space. I wish
we could have fitted in the full-size model!

Wayne
PENMART01

Boron Elgar > writes:

>(PENMART01) wrote:
>
>>"Acadia" > writes:
>>
>>>On the timer/clock display of our several year old Sharp microwave oven

>some
>>>parts of the digits have stopped displaying. The oven continues to work
>>>just fine it's just that sometimes you have trouble telling how much

>cooking
>>>time is remaining because only part of the numerals are showing, for
>>>example, a zero looks like a seven (think about it, it makes sense). Even
>>>though they are cheap these days I'd really hate to purchase a new

>microwave
>>>that is cooking just fine. My question is this: does any electrical expert
>>>out there consider this to be a fire hazard, a dangerous short of some

>kind?
>>
>>"Several year old"... how old is that unit, must be ancient. Sounds like

>you
>>have a real old appliance that used those LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) where
>>sections would eventually burn out, same as a light bulb. The newer units

>are
>>fitted with LCDs (Liquid Crystal Displays). In any event there is no risk
>>involved, just that you'll be inconvenienced with constantly needing to
>>interpolate those fercocktah numerals. Today's microwave ovens are
>>inexpensive, get a new one.
>>

>Nope. I have a Sharp with a similar problem with a manufacture date
>of 1999 and a GE over the range one with LED & a manufacture date of
>2002.

Hmm, there's a lesson here... something folks need to check when making new
appliance purchases... that they're fitted with modern LCDs rather than old
stock LEDs. LCD's are back lit, appearing more brightly lit as the ambient
light dims, as averse to the LED's constant lurid glare. LCDs cost more,
especially in the larger sizes... probably why the reluctance by the appliance
manufacturers to switch from LEDs. When a new appliance still has the LED
numeral indicater should make one wonder which other of its parts are
antiquated.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jean B.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in :
>
> > Acadia wrote:
> >>
> >> On the timer/clock display of our several year old Sharp microwave
> >> oven some parts of the digits have stopped displaying. The oven
> >> continues to work just fine it's just that sometimes you have trouble
> >> telling how much cooking time is remaining because only part of the
> >> numerals are showing, for example, a zero looks like a seven (think
> >> about it, it makes sense). Even though they are cheap these days I'd
> >> really hate to purchase a new microwave that is cooking just fine.
> >> My question is this: does any electrical expert out there consider
> >> this to be a fire hazard, a dangerous short of some kind? Thank you
> >> very much.
> >>

> > It's a good excuse to buy a Panasonic! That's what I'm doing.
> >

> About six months ago we bought a Panasonic with "inverter technology",
> automatic "turbo" defrost and cook, and 1350 watts power. We love it!
> The only feature I miss in our previous GE over-the-range unit is the
> temperature probe. I used the probe for heating liquids to just the
> right temperature for yeast breads.
>
> Oh, BTW, we purchased a medium-sized unit due to counter space. I wish
> we could have fitted in the full-size model!
>
> Wayne

Yup, the inverter technology is why I want it. Now I just have to
figure out whether the sensor is worth ca 60 more dollars.
Probably not.
--
Jean B.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Jean B." > wrote in message ...

> Yup, the inverter technology is why I want it. Now I just have to
> figure out whether the sensor is worth ca 60 more dollars.
> Probably not.
> --
> Jean B.

Is it a convection/microwave/toaster oven like they have in Japan? I'd like
one of those. I'm thinking of bringing one back from Japan just to have a
new toy, not because I really need one. But then I'd have to get a
transformer...

BTW, how are the foster cats doing?

rona

Wayne Boatwright

"Jean B." > wrote in :

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > It's a good excuse to buy a Panasonic! That's what I'm doing.
>> >

>> About six months ago we bought a Panasonic with "inverter
>> technology", automatic "turbo" defrost and cook, and 1350 watts
>> power. We love it! The only feature I miss in our previous GE
>> over-the-range unit is the temperature probe. I used the probe for
>> heating liquids to just the right temperature for yeast breads.
>>
>> Oh, BTW, we purchased a medium-sized unit due to counter space. I
>> wish we could have fitted in the full-size model!
>>
>> Wayne

> Yup, the inverter technology is why I want it. Now I just have to
> figure out whether the sensor is worth ca 60 more dollars.
> Probably not.

IMHO, yes.
Wayne Boatwright

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in
:

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>

>> Yup, the inverter technology is why I want it. Now I just have to
>> figure out whether the sensor is worth ca 60 more dollars.
>> Probably not.
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Is it a convection/microwave/toaster oven like they have in Japan?
> I'd like one of those. I'm thinking of bringing one back from Japan
> just to have a new toy, not because I really need one. But then I'd
> have to get a transformer...
>
> BTW, how are the foster cats doing?
>
> rona

Rona, the "inverter technology" differs from conventional microwave
technology in that the microwave power is reduced to whatever level is
set, e.g., levels 1 through 10. Conventional microwaves achieve their
varied cooking "speeds" by on and off. At power level 10 (highest
setting), there usually no cycling. At power level 5, for example, it
cycle on 50% and off 50%. I hope I was clear in trying to explain this.
The Panasonic I have also has "sensor" cooking. The sensor detects both
heat and moisture in the oven chamber.

Wayne