Margaret Suran

Default Melba Does Manhattan - Day Three (Long again)

Yesterday's post ended in the afternoon, IIRC. We had supper at
home--cold cuts and some kapusta from a Polish market. Margaret doesn't
eat the kraut. Too bad; it was pretty good. The smoked kielbasa was
very good and we finished it for lunch today. When I asked for a small
piece of krakowska at the market I had no idea there was already a good
supply of meatstuffs back home here.

Margaret hacked up a small french bread and we enjoyed very thinly
sliced smoked tongue (you could see that certain tongue-y look about it)
and some fancy schmancy paper thin-sliced ham. Very good. She tried to
make me eat one of the rolls that Mary Lyden at 2nd Ave Deli sent home
with us and I stood my ground and refused. I had it at breakfast.
Margaret was rather stunned that I don't eat jam. I've been telling
people that for years. I don't know why they would not believe me.

Margaret opened the box that the woman at the bakery sent her home with
-- a dish of their chocolate mousse, some cookies drenched with
chocolate, a raspberry hazelnut tart (Margaret bought that one for me)
and a chocolate covered banana (gack) for herself. The cookies appear
to be almost a macaroony thing -- clearly based heavily on egg whites.
There's some chocolate stuff atop, then it was covered with melted
chocolate. Pretty good. The mousse is wonderful and I put it away
after about 4 bites. Too rich for my blood. I think I am perhaps not
the chocolate freak some might think.

Because I napped late yesterday afternoon, I was awake until 1:00 a.m.
Up at 8:00 this morning and after previously mentioned roll with coffe
and juice and mango, we headed to Zabar's by bus. There were mild
flurries in the air. No big deal.

I spoke with my high school friend Mimi and we will meet on Sunday to do
something. She lives at the other end of the city, best I can tell. It
will be fun. She's probably the most cynical person I know; she's a
costume designer for theater shows. With a Poli Sci degree from
Michigan.

We got to Zabar's and she grabbed number for the fish department, the
deli counter, and something else, just in case she needed it, I guess.
I picked up some sun-dried tomatoes for a reasonable price, some almond
toffee (it's nearly gone), and a 6-pack of Dr. Brown Cel-Ray stuff for
Steve Dropkin.

I left Ms. Suran at the meat counter scolding a man about just how much
ham she had ordered and I moved to the fish counter with the number
she'd given me (Number 42). When they came to 42, I waved and was told
I had the wrong color number, that fish was a white number. <sigh>.
The correct number was 32, but Margaret worked her imitable charm (her
imitation of helplessness) and I was served to get our 1-1/2 pounds of
Nova Scotia lox. Man, is that stuff good. I didn't mention that the
first thing we ran into coming in the door was the olive bar. Two pints
of fancy schmancy olives -- I chose because she doesn't eat them.

Well, I went upstairs to Toyland -- the kitchen department. Hoo-o-o
Dawgie! It was better than last year. Looking for a butter bell I
happened on something else that I won't mention because both my daughter
and husband are receiving copies of this and I don't want them to know
what I bought for myself. (*^;^*). Clearly it is something of which I
have not enough at home. :-) I also bought a gift for Rob.

When I came back downstairs I looked for Margaret. Jeez, there were
only a thousand people in the place, half of them leaving their carts in
the middle of the aisles. A nice man paged Margaret for me and I soon
heard her calling my name. She sounds kind of like Ahnold. :-) She
was quite laden with her shopping bag on wheels, had two other bags in
her hands and I had my two bags. I asked if we were going to take the
bus and she looked at me like I may be from Pluto. OK, I guess we're
not bussin home. She said we would look for a cab and it would be
impossible to get one. Now, lissen up, B&G, because this is valuable
information: I am the luckiest person you know when it comes to parking
spots and taxis. Stand close to me, as Rob says he does in such
situations. We stepped outside the door at Zabar's and a taxi pulled up
and a woman disembarked. As she did, I asked her to tell the driver we
would like the cab, please. She got out, we got in, and life got
better. Margaret is still in a daze and I just figure it was business
as usual. Oh, did I mention that the snow has changed from slight
flurries to big ol' fluffy flakes? It's pretty nice. Very pretty. Not
often that I see piles of garbage bags and empty boxes covered with
lovely white snow.

When we got home, she commenced to slicing bagels for her neighbor's
freezer for tomorrow. She bought 4 dozen bagels and was a little
annoyed with me when I asked her why in hell she needs so many when
she's certain no one will show up tomorrow. Once she started slicing,
she remembered that normally she would have gotten mini-bagels and these
suckers are full size and, yes, perhaps 48 is a rather lahge number.

Because she has a one butt kitchen I fulfilled my obligation as taster
-- An onion bagel with a schmear of cream cheese and some lox. Vewwy,
vewwy nice. Some olives -- OMG!! There's one kind in there that
absolutely rock! The guests may not see them and I'll have to lie about
which ones they ARE on the plate. Some cream herring. Oink, oink. Or
maybe splish splash. Another bagel (poppyseed) and the rest of the
Polish sausage from last night. Still haven't whacked the krakowska.
I passed on dessert (my toffee is beside me here) because there's still
have a day left.

I'm sitting in her apartment on the 20th floor watching the snowflakes
drift down. They're big ones and now the ground and rooftops are
white. Pretty nice. It's nap time.

-Barb, posting from Margaret's lame computer in Manhattan
Rick & Cyndi

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
: Yesterday's post ended in the afternoon, IIRC. We had supper
at
: home--cold cuts and some kapusta from a Polish market.
Margaret doesn't
: eat the kraut. Too bad; it was pretty good. The smoked
kielbasa was
: very good and we finished it for lunch today. When I asked for
a small
: piece of krakowska at the market I had no idea there was
already a good
: supply of meatstuffs back home here.
:
<snipping great antics>
:
: -Barb, posting from Margaret's lame computer in Manhattan

===========

So Barb,

I'm thinking that once you're tired of the State Fair rat race...
or maybe in between fairs... you ought to consider writing. Or
better yet, get your own column for food reviews! What could be
better? Free food, writing about food, and getting to schmooze
with the right people at the right places... !

Never mind. I think I just found *my* next job. <G>

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Margaret Suran

Rick & Cyndi wrote:

> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> : Yesterday's post ended in the afternoon, IIRC. We had supper
> at
> : home--cold cuts and some kapusta from a Polish market.
> Margaret doesn't
> : eat the kraut. Too bad; it was pretty good. The smoked
> kielbasa was
> : very good and we finished it for lunch today. When I asked for
> a small
> : piece of krakowska at the market I had no idea there was
> already a good
> : supply of meatstuffs back home here.
> :
> <snipping great antics>
> :
> : -Barb, posting from Margaret's lame computer in Manhattan
>
> ===========
>
> So Barb,
>
> I'm thinking that once you're tired of the State Fair rat race...
> or maybe in between fairs... you ought to consider writing.

I've been encouraged to it before. Sounds like work. :-)

>Or better yet, get your own column for food reviews!

Yech. Other peoples' deadlines.

> What could be better? Free food, writing about food, and getting to schmooze
> with the right people at the right places... !

The right people? The right places? What's that?
I have a limited and unimaginative vocabulary for describing food I
enjoy: yummy, pretty good, awesome, delicious, swell. I'd have to
brush up on my bullshit quotient.
-Barb from Margaret's on a snowy night in Manhattan -- tomorrow is
supposed to be worse.

> Never mind. I think I just found *my* next job. <G>
>
> Cyndi
> <Remove a "b" to reply>

Puester

Madame Schaller wrote:

> Pretty nice. It's nap time.
>
> -Barb, posting from Margaret's lame computer in Manhattan

I'll say it before you do:

It's GOOD to be you! Sounds like you are having
a mah-velous time.

gloria p
Chris

Are you aware, by any chance, that "Melba Manhattan" is a pretty good porn
star name?

;-)

Sheryl Rosen

in article , Margaret Suran at wrote
on 12/5/03 2:21 PM:

> When we got home, she commenced to slicing bagels for her neighbor's
> freezer for tomorrow. She bought 4 dozen bagels and was a little
> annoyed with me when I asked her why in hell she needs so many when
> she's certain no one will show up tomorrow. Once she started slicing,
> she remembered that normally she would have gotten mini-bagels and these
> suckers are full size and, yes, perhaps 48 is a rather lahge number.
>
> Because she has a one butt kitchen I fulfilled my obligation as taster
> -- An onion bagel with a schmear of cream cheese and some lox. Vewwy,
> vewwy nice. Some olives -- OMG!! There's one kind in there that
> absolutely rock! The guests may not see them and I'll have to lie about
> which ones they ARE on the plate. Some cream herring. Oink, oink. Or
> maybe splish splash. Another bagel (poppyseed) and the rest of the
> Polish sausage from last night. Still haven't whacked the krakowska.
> I passed on dessert (my toffee is beside me here) because there's still
> have a day left.
>
> I'm sitting in her apartment on the 20th floor watching the snowflakes
> drift down. They're big ones and now the ground and rooftops are
> white. Pretty nice. It's nap time.
>
> -Barb, posting from Margaret's lame computer in Manhattan

I HEARBY COMMAND THE SNOW TO STOP FALLING SO THAT I CAN COME TO NYC AS
PLANNED AND PARTAKE OF ALL THESE WONDERFUL FOOD DELIGHTS...NOT TO MENTION
THE COMPANY OF PEOPLE I ABSOLUTELY LOVE!

Hey, Stupid Snow! Listen to me!!!!
Don't you realize, Barbara only comes to NYC ONCE A YEAR!!?????
If I don't get to hang out with her tomorrow, that's it for at least another
year!!!!!

SO COME ON, Already! STOP FALLING!!!!
I WANNA GO TO NY TOMORROW!!!!!!!

LOL, Let's see if that works!
Sheryl

Christine Dabney

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:32:40 GMT, Sheryl Rosen

>I HEARBY COMMAND THE SNOW TO STOP FALLING SO THAT I CAN COME TO NYC AS
>PLANNED AND PARTAKE OF ALL THESE WONDERFUL FOOD DELIGHTS...NOT TO MENTION
>THE COMPANY OF PEOPLE I ABSOLUTELY LOVE!
>
>Hey, Stupid Snow! Listen to me!!!!
>Don't you realize, Barbara only comes to NYC ONCE A YEAR!!?????
>If I don't get to hang out with her tomorrow, that's it for at least another
>year!!!!!
>
>SO COME ON, Already! STOP FALLING!!!!
>I WANNA GO TO NY TOMORROW!!!!!!!
>
>LOL, Let's see if that works!
>Sheryl

Keep shouting, Sheryl!

If by some chance it stops early tomorrow morning, I would be on a
train up there. Would probably get there after everyone has started
on those Bloody Marys...but I can catch up pretty fast.

Christine
AChrist787

>-Barb from Margaret's on a snowy night in Manhattan -- tomorrow is
>supposed to be worse.

Terry's gonna need that Mink I'm thinking.

Anne

AAC/AAF/AFBV62.0844.AZ
http://www.tckworld.com/opfoot