Amberinauburn

Default Cookie frosting recipe needed

I am in urgent need of a frosting recipe for the cookies I plan to make
tomorrow with my husband. I thought all I was going to need was powdered sugar
and water for the frosting, but both the recipes we found called for " meringue
powder"????? We live in a very small town and our grocery store doesn't even
sell solid white tuna for goodness sake. The chancess of it having Meringue
powder are really small. Someone out there has a nice easy recipe for sugar
cookies frosting right? Please, share it with us. We wanted to spend Friday
making cookies and I don't want to use those dreadful little tubes of pre -made
frosting on my nice home made cookies.

Thanking you all in advance
Amber and Harold

Greg Zywicki

(Amberinauburn) wrote in message >...
> I am in urgent need of a frosting recipe for the cookies I plan to make
> tomorrow with my husband. I thought all I was going to need was powdered sugar
> and water for the frosting, but both the recipes we found called for " meringue
> powder"????? We live in a very small town and our grocery store doesn't even
> sell solid white tuna for goodness sake. The chancess of it having Meringue
> powder are really small. Someone out there has a nice easy recipe for sugar
> cookies frosting right? Please, share it with us. We wanted to spend Friday
> making cookies and I don't want to use those dreadful little tubes of pre -made
> frosting on my nice home made cookies.
>

> Thanking you all in advance
> Amber and Harold

Beat together a pound of sugar, a stick of butter (softened), and 2-3
tablespoons water. Read that in Joy of Cooking this morning. I might
be off a bit in measurements, but probably not enough to worry about.
Add color and flavor if you like. Thin it a bit with water if you
like. This'll make a soft frosting. If your town has a library, see
if you can find a book like this.

The book also mentioned that you can heat it in a double boiler for
5-7 minutes if you like to smooth the flavor out.

The recipes you have with Meringue Powder are for royal icing. Royal
icing is a smooth, hard, attractive icing that also can give your
cookies some longevity if you coat them with it. Many groceries cary
powdered egg white, which you can sub one to one with the other
powder. Some groceries even cary pasturized egg whites in a carton.
You can find recipes for royal icing using egg whites. You could even
just use a real, honest to goodness egg white. Chances of salmonella
infection are very, very, very, very low.

Greg Zywicki