Robert Klute

Default Indian - Ghee - excess thereof.

On 1 Dec 2003 03:43:07 -0600, "Cardean" > wrote:

>My question is this. How do I get rid of the significant quantities of
>oil, and should I perhaps be looking to re-use the oil ??

Get rid of it? I've never seen it done. Indian dishes that have a lot
of oil are served floating in that oil. Skimming it will affect the
flavor of the dish. Try using less to start with if you are concerned
about the final amount, but that will leave you with a dish the doesn't
have as rich mouth feel and flavor as it should.

Reuse it? See previous answer, besides it is flavored with the spices
and other ingredients.

Robert Klute

On 4 Dec 2003 01:41:18 -0600, "Cardean" > wrote:

>Thanks very much, Robert, for your kind reply.
>
>Upon reflection of my own indian dining experiences I can
>see that you are correct.
>
>Presumably, when one serves from the pan to serving dish
>one would leave a quantity of oil behind.

Yes, but the ghee is part of the caloric content of the meal in India.
Here we have an abundance, so have to watch what we consume.

>I think too that I may have overdone the quantity of Ghee,
>digging a guesstimate from a block in a round tin; rather
>more difficult than measuring a quantity of oil.
>
>I'm a bit concerned about the amount of saturated fat in
>Ghee anyway, so I might experiment a bit further with
>Sunflower oil or the like.

Ghee is better for you than hydrogenated fats and most margarines. The
monosaturated oils are, of course, best. Peanut (groundnut) oil is used
extensively in India. You never see olive oil. Coconut Oil is often
used, as is palm oil. Mustard oil is also used, but that has a bad rep
in the west, so I avoid it except where necessary for flavor.

Ghee is definitely a flavor component of any recipe that uses it. Which
is not to say you won't like a dish that is prepared without it. Just
be aware of that and be prepared to use some ghee when cooking a dish
that calls for it.

>Thanks again for your response. I'll send a follow-up in
>a week or two, once I've tried a few more curries.
>
>My comments might be of assistance to others.
>
>B-regards
>Charles

WardNA

>Ghee is definitely a flavor component of any recipe that uses it.

Sir Richard Burton remarked on its being prized as a beverage in Saudi Arabia.
His inability to drink it by the cup nearly blew his cover during his
pilgrimage to Mecca.

Neil