Anonnyx

Default Microwave Oven, Twist Tie, and FIRE

Hi all--

A plastic bread bag with a twist tie unwittingly got put in our
Kenmore Microwave oven. After about 15 seconds of operation, the
smoke and fire was noticed and the microwave was shut off. Only the
top of the oven had significant soot which was cleaned off, as well as
the glass turntable which had a slightly melted bag on it. The
microwave was used one more time after that to boil a cup of water.

The problem was that it shutdown after that--completely. Like it was
unplugged (no clock, no blinking ":"...NADA). I checked the house
fuses and all was good, verified the outlet was still good, even
plugged the microwave into another known good outlet--still dead.

Four hours later, the blinking ":" came back! Stuck another item in,
turned it on, and after about 3 seconds, it completely shut off again
(i.e., dead). 10 seconds after that, the display came back on.

Having read on the web and even in the owner's manual, the solution
after an "oven fire" is to have the unit properly serviced or
replaced. My questions are as follows:

1. exactly what would a service person do?
2. what kind of damage would most likely have occurred?

I have stopped using the unit. A Sears repair person is scheduled to
come out at the end of the week. But if I can troubleshoot this
without too much hassle, I would like to. For example, if the unit
almost always has to be replaced under these circumstances, I may as
well go get a new microwave now and save myself both the wait (I have
Thanksgiving leftovers that need a warmin'!) and the service call.

Thanks for any replies.

* Nyx *
hahabogus

(Anonnyx) wrote in
om:

> Hi all--
>
> A plastic bread bag with a twist tie unwittingly got put in our
> Kenmore Microwave oven. After about 15 seconds of operation, the
> smoke and fire was noticed and the microwave was shut off. Only the
> top of the oven had significant soot which was cleaned off, as well as
> the glass turntable which had a slightly melted bag on it. The
> microwave was used one more time after that to boil a cup of water.
>
> The problem was that it shutdown after that--completely. Like it was
> unplugged (no clock, no blinking ":"...NADA). I checked the house
> fuses and all was good, verified the outlet was still good, even
> plugged the microwave into another known good outlet--still dead.
>
> Four hours later, the blinking ":" came back! Stuck another item in,
> turned it on, and after about 3 seconds, it completely shut off again
> (i.e., dead). 10 seconds after that, the display came back on.
>
> Having read on the web and even in the owner's manual, the solution
> after an "oven fire" is to have the unit properly serviced or
> replaced. My questions are as follows:
>
> 1. exactly what would a service person do?
> 2. what kind of damage would most likely have occurred?
>
> I have stopped using the unit. A Sears repair person is scheduled to
> come out at the end of the week. But if I can troubleshoot this
> without too much hassle, I would like to. For example, if the unit
> almost always has to be replaced under these circumstances, I may as
> well go get a new microwave now and save myself both the wait (I have
> Thanksgiving leftovers that need a warmin'!) and the service call.
>
> Thanks for any replies.
>
> * Nyx *

There is possibly soot inside the fan and other motors any filters will be
plugged up too. The magnatron has a motor to spread the
waves....prolly...gummed up with soot.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago
Katra

Anonnyx wrote:

> Hi all--
>
> A plastic bread bag with a twist tie unwittingly got put in our
> Kenmore Microwave oven. After about 15 seconds of operation, the
> smoke and fire was noticed and the microwave was shut off. Only the
> top of the oven had significant soot which was cleaned off, as well as
> the glass turntable which had a slightly melted bag on it. The
> microwave was used one more time after that to boil a cup of water.
>
> The problem was that it shutdown after that--completely. Like it was
> unplugged (no clock, no blinking ":"...NADA). I checked the house
> fuses and all was good, verified the outlet was still good, even
> plugged the microwave into another known good outlet--still dead.
>
> Four hours later, the blinking ":" came back! Stuck another item in,
> turned it on, and after about 3 seconds, it completely shut off again
> (i.e., dead). 10 seconds after that, the display came back on.
>
> Having read on the web and even in the owner's manual, the solution
> after an "oven fire" is to have the unit properly serviced or
> replaced. My questions are as follows:
>
> 1. exactly what would a service person do?
> 2. what kind of damage would most likely have occurred?
>
> I have stopped using the unit. A Sears repair person is scheduled to
> come out at the end of the week. But if I can troubleshoot this
> without too much hassle, I would like to. For example, if the unit
> almost always has to be replaced under these circumstances, I may as
> well go get a new microwave now and save myself both the wait (I have
> Thanksgiving leftovers that need a warmin'!) and the service call.
>
> Thanks for any replies.
>
> * Nyx *

Microwaves are cheap...
It would cost you more to have it repaired that to just replace it.
Same goes for VCR's. ;-)

Toss the microwave in the trash and go get a new one.

K.
--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Nancy Young

Anonnyx wrote:

> I have stopped using the unit. A Sears repair person is scheduled to
> come out at the end of the week. But if I can troubleshoot this
> without too much hassle, I would like to. For example, if the unit
> almost always has to be replaced under these circumstances, I may as
> well go get a new microwave now and save myself both the wait (I have
> Thanksgiving leftovers that need a warmin'!) and the service call.

I really think you should get rid of it and get a new one. It's
only my opinion, but I do think that's the best thing. The service
call will probably be almost the price of a new one.

nancy

Vox Humana

"Anonnyx" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all--
>
> A plastic bread bag with a twist tie unwittingly got put in our
> Kenmore Microwave oven. After about 15 seconds of operation, the
> smoke and fire was noticed and the microwave was shut off. Only the
> top of the oven had significant soot which was cleaned off, as well as
> the glass turntable which had a slightly melted bag on it. The
> microwave was used one more time after that to boil a cup of water.
>
> The problem was that it shutdown after that--completely. Like it was
> unplugged (no clock, no blinking ":"...NADA). I checked the house
> fuses and all was good, verified the outlet was still good, even
> plugged the microwave into another known good outlet--still dead.
>
> Four hours later, the blinking ":" came back! Stuck another item in,
> turned it on, and after about 3 seconds, it completely shut off again
> (i.e., dead). 10 seconds after that, the display came back on.
>
> Having read on the web and even in the owner's manual, the solution
> after an "oven fire" is to have the unit properly serviced or
> replaced. My questions are as follows:
>
> 1. exactly what would a service person do?
> 2. what kind of damage would most likely have occurred?
>
> I have stopped using the unit. A Sears repair person is scheduled to
> come out at the end of the week. But if I can troubleshoot this
> without too much hassle, I would like to. For example, if the unit
> almost always has to be replaced under these circumstances, I may as
> well go get a new microwave now and save myself both the wait (I have
> Thanksgiving leftovers that need a warmin'!) and the service call.
>
> Thanks for any replies.
>
> * Nyx *

Mpoconnor7

I agree that it would be best just to toss the microwave out and buy a brand
new one. Even though the technician may be able to clean all the soot out of
there, it is possible that there will always be that burned plastic aroma which
will be damn near impossible to get out of the oven, and whenever you cook
something and heat things inside the oven up, you'll always get a little of
that funky smell..

A good microwave will last ten years or more and will set you back about 60-80
dollars, which is probably less than having a repairman out there to work on
it. Also, there's a good chance he'll open it up and look at it and tell you
the microwave is shot, so you'll have to pay for the service call AND buy a new
microwave. Cut your losses, cancel the repairman, and go to Walmart and buy a
new microwave.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Anonnyx

Nancy Young > wrote in message >...
> Anonnyx wrote:
>
> > I have stopped using the unit. A Sears repair person is scheduled to
> > come out at the end of the week. But if I can troubleshoot this
> > without too much hassle, I would like to. For example, if the unit
> > almost always has to be replaced under these circumstances, I may as
> > well go get a new microwave now and save myself both the wait (I have
> > Thanksgiving leftovers that need a warmin'!) and the service call.

> I really think you should get rid of it and get a new one. It's
> only my opinion, but I do think that's the best thing. The service
> call will probably be almost the price of a new one.
>
> nancy

Well, the service call is $60. A new unit is $250 + tax = approx
$270. This is an microhood combination unit that matches the stove.
See http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...e=KENM#tablink
I can now afford to wait, at least--a friend of mine loaned me an
extra he had in his garage. I guess if the total cost of the repair
exceeds $170, I might as well get a new one.

* Nyx *
Steve Calvin

Anonnyx wrote:

> Well, the service call is $60. A new unit is $250 + tax = approx
> $270. This is an microhood combination unit that matches the stove.
> See http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...e=KENM#tablink
> I can now afford to wait, at least--a friend of mine loaned me an
> extra he had in his garage. I guess if the total cost of the repair
> exceeds $170, I might as well get a new one.
>
> * Nyx *

The service call is $60 which means that it's gonna cost you $60 for
them to walk in the door. If you go ahead and have them fix it the $60
will probably be applied to the bill but I'd bet that you'll be
approaching the "buy new" price anyhow.

--
Steve

hahabogus wrote:

> (Anonnyx) wrote in
> om:
>
> > Hi all--
> >
> > A plastic bread bag with a twist tie unwittingly got put in our
> > Kenmore Microwave oven. After about 15 seconds of operation, the
> > smoke and fire was noticed and the microwave was shut off. Only the
> > top of the oven had significant soot which was cleaned off, as well as
> > the glass turntable which had a slightly melted bag on it. The
> > microwave was used one more time after that to boil a cup of water.
> >
> > The problem was that it shutdown after that--completely. Like it was
> > unplugged (no clock, no blinking ":"...NADA). I checked the house
> > fuses and all was good, verified the outlet was still good, even
> > plugged the microwave into another known good outlet--still dead.
> >
> > Four hours later, the blinking ":" came back! Stuck another item in,
> > turned it on, and after about 3 seconds, it completely shut off again
> > (i.e., dead). 10 seconds after that, the display came back on.
> >
> > Having read on the web and even in the owner's manual, the solution
> > after an "oven fire" is to have the unit properly serviced or
> > replaced. My questions are as follows:
> >
> > 1. exactly what would a service person do?
> > 2. what kind of damage would most likely have occurred?
> >
> > I have stopped using the unit. A Sears repair person is scheduled to
> > come out at the end of the week. But if I can troubleshoot this
> > without too much hassle, I would like to. For example, if the unit
> > almost always has to be replaced under these circumstances, I may as
> > well go get a new microwave now and save myself both the wait (I have
> > Thanksgiving leftovers that need a warmin'!) and the service call.
> >
> > Thanks for any replies.
> >
> > * Nyx *
> >

> There is possibly soot inside the fan and other motors any filters will be
> plugged up too. The magnatron has a motor to spread the
> waves....prolly...gummed up with soot.
>
> --
> And the beet goes on! (or under)
> -me just a while ago

Soot is mostly carbon and carbon conducts electricity. If the magnetron has
substantial amounts of soot it may be shorting out and the safeties may be
shutting it down. Something similar tp what would hapopen if you put a metal
container inside. This used to happen on TV picture tubes where a carbon path
would form at the high voltage lead and you could hear "frying" noises.

Unless this guy is familiar with servicing high power vacuum tubes I suggest
he do not try to service it himself. Although the magnetron in modern
microwave ovens may have been replaced with a solid state device it is
dangerous.

It takes a trained tech to work on something that can put out somewhere near a
kilowatt of power.

Bert (ex-KA4BBS)