Blair P. Houghton

Default Love to Hate Safeway, part the 40th

Day after thanksgiving.

Stores expected to be packed with bargain hunters.

So I go to the grocery store hoping to score some
leftover stuff at closeout prices.

But ho! I picked a SAFEWAY!

Not a DAMNED thing on sale that I was expecting.

Looked like May 9th, not November 28th.

I got some aspirin, and one of those new $5 electric
toothbrushes that are everywhere. I saved like 20 cents
and looked like a total goit pushing an empty cart around
and snarling at the shelves.

--Blair
"Not even the 4-foot stack of
nested disposable aluminum
foil turkey pans, for ****'S
sake!"

* - the Oral B model with the replaceable heads, to compare
with my $5 non-electric Oral B toothbrush; for most of my
teeth it's no different, but I have this one gap where
plaque likes to get into a corner between the teeth and
avoid my regular brush, and I think letting this thing
just sit there and make its tiny little scrubbing motions
at about 100 cycles per second may actually do that bit
some good. Like all life science, we won't know for
sure until the species that follows us has better teeth
than mine. (Geneticist joke.)
Jack Schidt®

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> Day after thanksgiving.
>
> Stores expected to be packed with bargain hunters.
>
> So I go to the grocery store hoping to score some
> leftover stuff at closeout prices.
>
> But ho! I picked a SAFEWAY!
>
> Not a DAMNED thing on sale that I was expecting.
>
> Looked like May 9th, not November 28th.

They're onto ya. I wonder how much they make on that nasty rumor that
stuff's on sale the day after.

Jack Profit

Kent H.

The Rubberway[safeway], Albs, and Lundardis all did not send out
weekly sale mailings this week.

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:

> Day after thanksgiving.
>
> Stores expected to be packed with bargain hunters.
>
> So I go to the grocery store hoping to score some
> leftover stuff at closeout prices.
>
> But ho! I picked a SAFEWAY!
>
> Not a DAMNED thing on sale that I was expecting.
>
> Looked like May 9th, not November 28th.
>
> I got some aspirin, and one of those new $5 electric
> toothbrushes that are everywhere. I saved like 20 cents
> and looked like a total goit pushing an empty cart around
> and snarling at the shelves.
>
> --Blair
> "Not even the 4-foot stack of
> nested disposable aluminum
> foil turkey pans, for ****'S
> sake!"
>
> * - the Oral B model with the replaceable heads, to compare
> with my $5 non-electric Oral B toothbrush; for most of my
> teeth it's no different, but I have this one gap where
> plaque likes to get into a corner between the teeth and
> avoid my regular brush, and I think letting this thing
> just sit there and make its tiny little scrubbing motions
> at about 100 cycles per second may actually do that bit
> some good. Like all life science, we won't know for
> sure until the species that follows us has better teeth
> than mine. (Geneticist joke.)

notbob

On 2003-11-30, Blair P Houghton > wrote:
> Day after thanksgiving.
>
> Stores expected to be packed with bargain hunters.
>
> So I go to the grocery store hoping to score some
> leftover stuff at closeout prices.
>
> But ho! I picked a SAFEWAY!
>
> Not a DAMNED thing on sale that I was expecting.

Yeah, I went expecting further discounts on overstocked turkeys. Not!
Now a $1lb. So, I bought a bottle of Hoptown IPA instead. A gold
medal winner at this year's Great American Beer Festival. Yum.

nb
Frogleg

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:08:41 GMT, "Kent H." >
wrote:

>The Rubberway[safeway], Albs, and Lundardis all did not send out
>weekly sale mailings this week.

This isn't a way on the part of any particular vendors to persecute
shoppers. It is the norm for pre-Thanksgiving specials to be extended
a few days, and an advertising 'vacation' follow.

Terry Pulliam

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:24:43 -0600, Steve Wertz
> arranged random neurons, so they
looked like this:

<snippidy>

>Have a turkey sammich with Miracle Whip, and get a grip.
>Sheesh.

Miracle Whip? Yecchhh! Heresy, sheer heresy! Best Foods Rules (a/k/a
Hellman's).

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove "gotcha"
Guy Bannis

In article >, Blair P. Houghton
> wrote:

> Day after thanksgiving.
>
> Stores expected to be packed with bargain hunters.
>
> So I go to the grocery store hoping to score some
> leftover stuff at closeout prices.
>
> But ho! I picked a SAFEWAY!
>
> Not a DAMNED thing on sale that I was expecting.
>
> Looked like May 9th, not November 28th.

You went to the wrong Safeway then ... At mine, all apple and pumpkin pies
were 99 cents. Any turkey over 16 lbs was $7.99. I think any turkey under
16 lbs was $4.99.
The Ranger

Terry Pulliam > countered in message
> >Have a turkey sammich with Miracle Whip, and get a grip.
> >

> Miracle Whip? Yecchhh! Heresy, sheer heresy! Best Foods Rules
> (a/k/a Hellman's).

Ach! BF suck 3-day-old road kill through a funnel! Miracle Whip: For those
that want a Good Sandwich!

The Ranger

Kent H.

The turkey price has been that for the last 10 days.

Guy Bannis wrote:

> In article >, Blair P. Houghton
> > wrote:
>
> > Day after thanksgiving.
> >
> > Stores expected to be packed with bargain hunters.
> >
> > So I go to the grocery store hoping to score some
> > leftover stuff at closeout prices.
> >
> > But ho! I picked a SAFEWAY!
> >
> > Not a DAMNED thing on sale that I was expecting.
> >
> > Looked like May 9th, not November 28th.

> You went to the wrong Safeway then ... At mine, all apple and pumpkin pies
> were 99 cents. Any turkey over 16 lbs was $7.99. I think any turkey under
> 16 lbs was $4.99.

George Grapman

Guy Bannis wrote:

> You went to the wrong Safeway then ... At mine, all apple and pumpkin pies
> were 99 cents. Any turkey over 16 lbs was $7.99. I think any turkey under
> 16 lbs was $4.99.

Safeway varies tremendously from location to location. In the 1970's I lived
near Church and Market in San Francisco.The local Safeway was terrible both in
terms o selection and service. It was not unusual to see half the registers
closed at 6 p.m. on a Friday while the Diamond Heights Safeway, a few miles
away was adequately staffed.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete one c from paccbell

j.j.

Hark! I heard "The Ranger" > say:
> Terry Pulliam > countered in message
>> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:24:43 -0600, Steve Wertz
>> > arranged random neurons, so they
>> looked like this:

> > >Have a turkey sammich with Miracle Whip, and get a grip.

> > Miracle Whip? Yecchhh! Heresy, sheer heresy! Best Foods Rules
> > (a/k/a Hellman's).

> Ach! BF suck 3-day-old road kill through a funnel! Miracle Whip: For those
> that want a Good Sandwich!

Euuuww! Miracle Whip is just mayo with sugar -- aptly named, it's
a Miracle if you can swallow the stuff. Best Foods *is* the Best!

This is fun... ;-)

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Kent H.

TROLL AWAY!

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:08:41 GMT, "Kent H." >
> wrote:
>
> >The Rubberway[safeway], Albs, and Lundardis all did not send out
> >weekly sale mailings this week.

> That's because I've been stealing your mail.
>
> BTW - you're AAA subscription has expired.
>
> -sw

The Ranger

j.j. > spat in defiance through message
> Hark! I heard "The Ranger" > say:
> > Terry Pulliam > countered in message
> >> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:24:43 -0600, Steve Wertz
> >> so they looked like this:
> > > >
> > > Miracle Whip? Yecchhh! Heresy, sheer heresy! Best Foods
> > > Rules (a/k/a Hellman's).
> > >

> > Ach! BF suck 3-day-old road kill through a funnel! Miracle
> > Whip: For those that want a Good Sandwich!
> >

> Euuuww! Miracle Whip is just mayo with sugar -- aptly named,
> it's a Miracle if you can swallow the stuff. Best Foods *is* the
> Best!

May you be seated at an all-you-can-eat buffet where sandwiches of JIF
peanut butter and Miracle Whip on Wonder Bread is the only item being served
where Musak is piped in at a BOC 110dB while a steady mantra of "I love
Miracle Whip" to the "Jingle Bell Rock" tune is played...

The Ranger

j.j.

Hark! I heard "The Ranger" > say:
> j.j. > spat in defiance through message
> > Hark! I heard "The Ranger" > say:
> > > Terry Pulliam > countered in message

> > > Ach! BF suck 3-day-old road kill through a funnel! Miracle
> > > Whip: For those that want a Good Sandwich!
> > >

> > Euuuww! Miracle Whip is just mayo with sugar -- aptly named,
> > it's a Miracle if you can swallow the stuff. Best Foods *is* the
> > Best!

> May you be seated at an all-you-can-eat buffet where sandwiches of JIF
> peanut butter and Miracle Whip on Wonder Bread is the only item being served
> where Musak is piped in at a BOC 110dB while a steady mantra of "I love
> Miracle Whip" to the "Jingle Bell Rock" tune is played...

Okay, now you're just being mean... ;-)