Kajikit

Default Boiled eggs?

Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur? I like the taste okay with
salt and pepper but they give me gas and I think it must be the
sulphur content (isn't it the sulphur that creates the ring and the
smell?) Why are boiled eggs so different from an omelette or fried
eggs or any other form of cooked eggs?

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Righar

Kajikit wrote:
> Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
> around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur?

IMO it must depend on the kind of eggs you're using, I used
to believe that the bigger the egg, the more you tend to get
the green ring thing. ..?

--
--Righar
--24/M/Boro/French

Compmouse

I think you're boiling your eggs for too long, that's what causes the green
ring around the yolk. Try boiling them for less time.

-- Compmouse
Come join us at KittyRealm and talk about all things Sanrio!
http://pub37.ezboard.com/bkittyRealm
"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
> around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur? I like the taste okay with
> salt and pepper but they give me gas and I think it must be the
> sulphur content (isn't it the sulphur that creates the ring and the
> smell?) Why are boiled eggs so different from an omelette or fried
> eggs or any other form of cooked eggs?
>
> (huggles)
>
> ~Karen AKA Kajikit
>
> Nobody outstubborns a cat...
>
> Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
> Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap:

LIMEYNO1

The simple cause is BOILING! Don't boil hard cooked eggs. Put eggs in cold
water, bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat and let stand for 15- 20
minutes. You will never have the dark ring.

"Compmouse" > wrote in message
> I think you're boiling your eggs for too long, that's what causes the

green
> ring around the yolk. Try boiling them for less time.
>
> -- Compmouse
> Come join us at KittyRealm and talk about all things Sanrio!
> http://pub37.ezboard.com/bkittyRealm
> "Kajikit" > wrote in message
> > Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
> > around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur? I like the taste okay with
> > salt and pepper but they give me gas and I think it must be the
> > sulphur content (isn't it the sulphur that creates the ring and the
> > smell?) Why are boiled eggs so different from an omelette or fried
> > eggs or any other form of cooked eggs?
> >
> > (huggles)
> >
> > ~Karen AKA Kajikit
> >
> > Nobody outstubborns a cat...
> >
> > Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
> > Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap:

PENMART01

Kajikit writes:

>Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
>around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur?

Yoose cookin' em too long.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Gtwy4cb

>Try boiling them for less time.

You DON'T boil them!! Start eggs in cold water and when water boils, cover and
let stand for 25 minutes--run under cold water for about five minuites--the
shells will come off easily and there will be no green ring around the yolk.
kilikini

Yep, you're definitely over-cooking the eggs. I consistently had this
problem too, until I got this amazing little gadget from Brookstone. It's
an egg timer. You place the egg-shaped timer in with your eggs and cover
them with cold water. Boil the water and the egg timer changes color to let
you know when the eggs are soft-boiled, medium or hard.

If I keep my eye on the timer, the eggs come out perfectly every time - no
green rings!

I did a quick search and found a link for this item on Cooking.com...
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=103760

I've had my egg timer for about 12 years and it's still going strong!

Good luck!

Kilikini

Glenn Jacobs

I start them in cold water boil for about 8 minutes, immediately put under
cold water and I have never had a problem. If you live at 10,000 feet as I
do boil them for 12 minutes.
--
JakeInHartsel
Bob Pastorio

Gtwy4cb wrote:

>>Try boiling them for less time.

> You DON'T boil them!! Start eggs in cold water and when water boils, cover and
> let stand for 25 minutes--run under cold water for about five minutes--the
> shells will come off easily and there will be no green ring around the yolk.

The only thing I'll add is that I drain the pot and put ice water in
it. Let them sit in ice water for maybe 20 minutes. The shell comes
off easily unless the eggs are very fresh.

We always have hard-cooked eggs on hand as a snack or ingredient. I do
a dozen at a time.

Pastorio

Katra

Kajikit wrote:

> Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
> around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur? I like the taste okay with
> salt and pepper but they give me gas and I think it must be the
> sulphur content (isn't it the sulphur that creates the ring and the
> smell?) Why are boiled eggs so different from an omelette or fried
> eggs or any other form of cooked eggs?
>
> (huggles)
>
> ~Karen AKA Kajikit
>
> Nobody outstubborns a cat...

You are over-cooking them. :-)
Try cutting the time back, and cooling them in cold water when you take
them off the heat...

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

Peter Aitken

"Gtwy4cb" > wrote in message
> >Try boiling them for less time.

> You DON'T boil them!! Start eggs in cold water and when water boils, cover

and
> let stand for 25 minutes--run under cold water for about five

minuites--the
> shells will come off easily and there will be no green ring around the

yolk.

That is the way I cook eggs but it is no guarantee against the green ring.
You can also boil eggs and be ring-free. The ring is caused by sulfur
compounds in the white reacting with the yolk and causing the color change.
I had heard that the ring is caused by boiling too long or by not cooling
the eggs quickly, but I now think that other things are involved as well. I
have had batches of same-size eggs from the same carton that were boiled
together and cooled together and a few had the ring while most did not.

--
Peter Aitken

circe

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:59:59 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"Gtwy4cb" > wrote in message
>> >Try boiling them for less time.

>> You DON'T boil them!! Start eggs in cold water and when water boils, cover

>and
>> let stand for 25 minutes--run under cold water for about five

>minuites--the
>> shells will come off easily and there will be no green ring around the

>yolk.
>
>That is the way I cook eggs but it is no guarantee against the green ring.
>You can also boil eggs and be ring-free. The ring is caused by sulfur
>compounds in the white reacting with the yolk and causing the color change.
>I had heard that the ring is caused by boiling too long or by not cooling
>the eggs quickly, but I now think that other things are involved as well. I
>have had batches of same-size eggs from the same carton that were boiled
>together and cooled together and a few had the ring while most did not.

I just got around to reading a cookbook of Alton Brown's that I got as
a gift a while back, and he claims that the best wat to hard cook eggs
is to bake them. I've been meaning to try that, and was wondering if
anyone did it that way?

circe

PENMART01

(Gtwy4cb) writes:

>>Try boiling them for less time.

>You DON'T boil them!!
>Start eggs in cold water and when water <STRONG>boils</STRONG>

DUH!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Arri London

Kajikit wrote:

> Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
> around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur? I like the taste okay with
> salt and pepper but they give me gas and I think it must be the
> sulphur content (isn't it the sulphur that creates the ring and the
> smell?) Why are boiled eggs so different from an omelette or fried
> eggs or any other form of cooked eggs?
>
> (huggles)
>
> ~Karen AKA Kajikit

Two things: buy better eggs (that will eliminate the sulphur smell) and
don't boil them as long (that will eliminate the ring).
PENMART01

>Kajikit wrote:
>>
>> Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
>> around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur? I like the taste okay with
>> salt and pepper but they give me gas and I think it must be the
>> sulphur content (isn't it the sulphur that creates the ring and the
>> smell?) Why are boiled eggs so different from an omelette or fried
>> eggs or any other form of cooked eggs?

>buy better eggs (that will eliminate the sulphur smell)

Better eggs... better than what, better how, and how does one tell what's
inside that egg shell without it being too late?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Robert Mueller

Use a sterilized straight pin or an egg piercer to poke a tiny hole in
the fat end of the shell. This allows the air to escape during cooking.
I've been doing this ever since I read a tip from Julia Child years ago.
I've never had green goop, sulpher smell or a burst egg since.

circe wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:59:59 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:

> >> You DON'T boil them!! Start eggs in cold water and when water boils, cover

> >and
> >> let stand for 25 minutes--run under cold water for about five

> >minuites--the
> >> shells will come off easily and there will be no green ring around the

> >yolk.
> >
> >That is the way I cook eggs but it is no guarantee against the green ring.
> >You can also boil eggs and be ring-free. The ring is caused by sulfur
> >compounds in the white reacting with the yolk and causing the color change.
> >I had heard that the ring is caused by boiling too long or by not cooling
> >the eggs quickly, but I now think that other things are involved as well. I
> >have had batches of same-size eggs from the same carton that were boiled
> >together and cooled together and a few had the ring while most did not.

> I just got around to reading a cookbook of Alton Brown's that I got as
> a gift a while back, and he claims that the best wat to hard cook eggs
> is to bake them. I've been meaning to try that, and was wondering if
> anyone did it that way?
>
> circe

Whatever you do, don't microwave them or you will be cleaning your microwave's
interior for a while.

Bert
Ken Davey

PENMART01 wrote:
>> Kajikit wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make boiled eggs NOT have a blacky green ring
>>> around the yolk and NOT smell like sulphur? I like the taste okay
>>> with salt and pepper but they give me gas and I think it must be the
>>> sulphur content (isn't it the sulphur that creates the ring and the
>>> smell?) Why are boiled eggs so different from an omelette or fried
>>> eggs or any other form of cooked eggs?

>> buy better eggs (that will eliminate the sulphur smell)

> Better eggs... better than what, better how, and how does one tell
> what's inside that egg shell without it being too late?

Real easy, if one can find and patronize a local supplier. By that I mean
find a local non-factory producer of eggs and if necessary pay the premium
price. At least you know, personally, where your eggs come from and how
fresh they are and how the hens are treated.
Big difference from commercial operations. I know on account I used to be
one of those 'local' producers!
Ken.

circe

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:30:07 GMT, wrote:

>circe wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:59:59 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
>> > wrote:

>> >and
>> >minuites--the
>> >yolk.
>> >
>> >That is the way I cook eggs but it is no guarantee against the green ring.
>> >You can also boil eggs and be ring-free. The ring is caused by sulfur
>> >compounds in the white reacting with the yolk and causing the color change.
>> >I had heard that the ring is caused by boiling too long or by not cooling
>> >the eggs quickly, but I now think that other things are involved as well. I
>> >have had batches of same-size eggs from the same carton that were boiled
>> >together and cooled together and a few had the ring while most did not.

>> I just got around to reading a cookbook of Alton Brown's that I got as
>> a gift a while back, and he claims that the best wat to hard cook eggs
>> is to bake them. I've been meaning to try that, and was wondering if
>> anyone did it that way?
>>
>> circe

>Whatever you do, don't microwave them or you will be cleaning your microwave's
>interior for a while.
>
>Bert

Try microwaving an acorn squash and forgetting to poke it with a knife
first. Now that's a mess......

circe

Kajikit

Arri London saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
all about it on Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:50:43 -0700:

>Two things: buy better eggs (that will eliminate the sulphur smell) and
>don't boil them as long (that will eliminate the ring).

How do you judge 'better'? We buy freerange eggs, presumably produced
by chooks fed a healthy diet and allowed to roam...

I'll give you the overboiling bit. But I seem to find it impossible to
judge how long the eggs actually NEED to cook. I'm the only one who'll
eat soft-boiled eggs.

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Arri London

Kajikit wrote:

> Arri London saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
> all about it on Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:50:43 -0700:
>
> >Two things: buy better eggs (that will eliminate the sulphur smell) and
> >don't boil them as long (that will eliminate the ring).

> How do you judge 'better'? We buy freerange eggs, presumably produced
> by chooks fed a healthy diet and allowed to roam...

Fresher. The eggs should have slightly bumpy shell and not look very
smooth. Other than the sell-by date or buying from the farmer, it's not
so easy to tell.
When the eggs are broken open, the yolks should stand proud of the white
and the whites should be very thick. A flat yolk and watery white means
an older egg.

> I'll give you the overboiling bit. But I seem to find it impossible to
> judge how long the eggs actually NEED to cook. I'm the only one who'll
> eat soft-boiled eggs.
>
> (huggles)
>
> ~Karen AKA Kajikit

That will vary with your altitude LOL! We need to cook eggs about 7
minutes to get hardboiled. Usually at sea level, about 5--6 minutes is
plenty.

> Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

LIMEYNO1

The black ring has nothing to do with what type of eggs. It is strictly
caused by cooking at too high a temperature.

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> Arri London saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
> all about it on Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:50:43 -0700:
>

> >Two things: buy better eggs (that will eliminate the sulphur smell) and
> >don't boil them as long (that will eliminate the ring).

> How do you judge 'better'? We buy freerange eggs, presumably produced
> by chooks fed a healthy diet and allowed to roam...
>
> I'll give you the overboiling bit. But I seem to find it impossible to
> judge how long the eggs actually NEED to cook. I'm the only one who'll
> eat soft-boiled eggs.
>
> (huggles)
>
> ~Karen AKA Kajikit
>
> Nobody outstubborns a cat...
>
> Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
> Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap:

Peter Aitken

"LIMEYNO1" > wrote in message
news
> The black ring has nothing to do with what type of eggs. It is strictly
> caused by cooking at too high a temperature.

No, that's not true. Boiled eggs are always cooked at the same temp - the
boiling point of water. It is cooking too long or cooling too slowly that is
supposedly the cause. I have heard rumors that these rings can also be
caused by top-posting on newsgroups.

--
Peter Aitken

PENMART01

"LIMEYNO1" writes:

>The black ring has nothing to do with what type of eggs. It is strictly
>caused by cooking at too high a temperature.

Actually the harmless greenish ring is due to an iron and sulfur compound which
forms from cooking too long and not being cooled quickly and in a timely
fashion... water boils at 212F... how high a temperature are you talking?

http://www.aeb.org/recipes/basics/hard-cooked_eggs.htm

http://www.aeb.org/recipes/basics/ha...d_Egg_Tips.htm

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

LIMEYNO1

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
om...
> "LIMEYNO1" > wrote in message
> news
> > The black ring has nothing to do with what type of eggs. It is strictly
> > caused by cooking at too high a temperature.
> >

> No, that's not true. Boiled eggs are always cooked at the same temp - the
> boiling point of water. It is cooking too long or cooling too slowly that
is
> supposedly the cause. I have heard rumors that these rings can also be
> caused by top-posting on newsgroups.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

Sorry, I disagree. Boiled eggs is a misnomer. They should be called hard
cooked eggs and the boiling is what causes the dark ring. If they are
cooked as I described, you will always have a perfect hard cooked egg
without the sulfur ring.

blake murphy

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 08:53:57 -0500, "LIMEYNO1"
> wrote:

>The simple cause is BOILING! Don't boil hard cooked eggs. Put eggs in cold
>water, bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat and let stand for 15- 20
>minutes. You will never have the dark ring.

try it. i usually let them sit twenty minutes and then run cold water
over them. no ring, easy peel. i'm not really in a position that i
might get eggs that are 'too fresh' to hard-cook.

your pal,
blake
blake murphy

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:49:53 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"LIMEYNO1" > wrote in message
>news
>> The black ring has nothing to do with what type of eggs. It is strictly
>> caused by cooking at too high a temperature.
>>

>No, that's not true. Boiled eggs are always cooked at the same temp - the
>boiling point of water. It is cooking too long or cooling too slowly that is
>supposedly the cause. I have heard rumors that these rings can also be
>caused by top-posting on newsgroups.

or by being unkind to some innocent chicken.

your pal,
blake
LIMEYNO1

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 08:53:57 -0500, "LIMEYNO1"
> > wrote:
>
> >The simple cause is BOILING! Don't boil hard cooked eggs. Put eggs in

cold
> >water, bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat and let stand for 15- 20
> >minutes. You will never have the dark ring.

> try it. i usually let them sit twenty minutes and then run cold water
> over them. no ring, easy peel. i'm not really in a position that i
> might get eggs that are 'too fresh' to hard-cook.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Heh! Me either!