Frogleg

Default Harvest festivals?

What are they in other countries? I mean, that's what Thanksgiving is,
essentially. Surely others of these must have been codified and
certified elsewhere. As I remember from historical novels, an English
harvest festival (and Saints' Day) was the time new labor contracts
were established and quarterly payment distributed. Is there nothing
like 'official' Thanksgiving anywhere but the US and Canada?
Julia Altshuler

Sukkot amongst the ancient Hebrews and Jews all over the world is a
harvest festival.

--Lia

Frogleg wrote:
> What are they in other countries? I mean, that's what Thanksgiving is,
> essentially. Surely others of these must have been codified and
> certified elsewhere. As I remember from historical novels, an English
> harvest festival (and Saints' Day) was the time new labor contracts
> were established and quarterly payment distributed. Is there nothing
> like 'official' Thanksgiving anywhere but the US and Canada?

Margaret Suran

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Sukkot amongst the ancient Hebrews and Jews all over the world is a
> harvest festival.
>
> --Lia
>
> Frogleg wrote:
> > What are they in other countries? I mean, that's what Thanksgiving is,
> > essentially. Surely others of these must have been codified and
> > certified elsewhere. As I remember from historical novels, an English
> > harvest festival (and Saints' Day) was the time new labor contracts
> > were established and quarterly payment distributed. Is there nothing
> > like 'official' Thanksgiving anywhere but the US and Canada?

What is the origin of the Oktoberfest? Did that start out as a harvest
celebration? Does someone know?

Happy Thanksgiving to all, Margaret
Jack Schidt®

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
> >
> > Sukkot amongst the ancient Hebrews and Jews all over the world is a
> > harvest festival.
> >
> > --Lia
> >
> > Frogleg wrote:
> > > What are they in other countries? I mean, that's what Thanksgiving is,
> > > essentially. Surely others of these must have been codified and
> > > certified elsewhere. As I remember from historical novels, an English
> > > harvest festival (and Saints' Day) was the time new labor contracts
> > > were established and quarterly payment distributed. Is there nothing
> > > like 'official' Thanksgiving anywhere but the US and Canada?

> What is the origin of the Oktoberfest? Did that start out as a harvest
> celebration? Does someone know?

Officially it's the anniversary of the wedding of Crown Prince Ludwig with
Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen in 1810. However, I think
Oktoberfest is really the Erntefest (harvest fest) and he chose that day for
his wedding.

Jack Essenfest (my personal favorite, and can be held anytime)

John Gaughan

Margaret Suran wrote:
> What is the origin of the Oktoberfest?

A bunch of Germans got together and wanted an excuse to drink beer and
eat sausage.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

paula

In England our harvest festival is our own thanksgiving( although not
any more on the same scale as in the u.s.)schools and churches still
have the harvest festival ceremonies where a selection of newly
harvested crops and freshly made breads are taken to church and
blessed. the food is later distributed to the old and poor of the
community.when i was a slip of a lass this was really a lovely
ceremony to take part in, but alas as with most things these days it
seems that only small closely knit communities ( with a few
exceptions) keep up these old traditions.our big one is Christmas and
new year when we do nothing but cook, bake, and eat and drink.oh how
times change.
LIMEYNO1

And don't forget...the sauerkraut!
"John Gaughan" > wrote in message
> Margaret Suran wrote:
> > What is the origin of the Oktoberfest?

> A bunch of Germans got together and wanted an excuse to drink beer and
> eat sausage.
>
> --
> John Gaughan
> http://www.johngaughan.net/

John Gaughan

LIMEYNO1 wrote:
> And don't forget...the sauerkraut!

Now I want a reuben!

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

L Beck

They needed an excuse?

"John Gaughan" > wrote in message
> Margaret Suran wrote:
> > What is the origin of the Oktoberfest?

> A bunch of Germans got together and wanted an excuse to drink beer and
> eat sausage.
>
> --
> John Gaughan
> http://www.johngaughan.net/

Jeff Bienstadt

John Gaughan wrote:

> Margaret Suran wrote:
>> What is the origin of the Oktoberfest?

> A bunch of Germans got together and wanted an excuse to drink beer and
> eat sausage.
>
> --
> John Gaughan
> http://www.johngaughan.net/

Heh. That's just Thursday afternoon.

---jkb

--
"Grandma taught me never to judge a species by their eating habits."
-- Commander Tucker

blake murphy

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:23:11 -0600, John Gaughan
> wrote:

>Margaret Suran wrote:
>> What is the origin of the Oktoberfest?

>A bunch of Germans got together and wanted an excuse to drink beer and
>eat sausage.

and flash their tits.

your pal,
blake