Boron Elgar

Default Wheat free substitute

I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
hold its texture & produce a similar result?

Boron

Boron Elgar > wrote:
> I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
> guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
> hold its texture & produce a similar result?

Why not make a stuffing that uses rice?

Seth Goodman

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
> guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
> hold its texture & produce a similar result?

Quinoa is a good substitute.

--
Seth Goodman
Katra

Boron Elgar wrote:

> I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
> guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
> hold its texture & produce a similar result?
>
> Boron

I'm allergic to wheat too so I understand...
He might try pearl barley?

Or oatmeal?

If my family wants a bread dressing, I make one, then make a small
portion of rice dressing for myself. :-) That way everyone is happy!

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
No One

Brown rice.

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
> guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
> hold its texture & produce a similar result?
>
> Boron

Julia Altshuler

I second this suggestion. I've substituted quinoa for the bulgher in
tabouli and for the couscous in numerous dishes always with great results.

--Lia

Seth Goodman wrote:
> In article >,
> Boron Elgar > wrote:
>

>>I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
>>guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
>>hold its texture & produce a similar result?

> Quinoa is a good substitute.

Dimitri

> wrote in message ...
> Boron Elgar > wrote:
> > I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
> > guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
> > hold its texture & produce a similar result?

> Why not make a stuffing that uses rice?

Try buckwheat (kasha) - not wheat see below.

Dimitri

buckwheat

A native of Russia, buckwheat is thought of as a cereal, but is actually an
herb of the genus Fagopyrum. The triangular seeds of this plant are used to
make buckwheat flour, which has an assertive flavor and is used for pancakes
and as an addition to some baked goods. The famous Russian BLINI are made
with buckwheat flour. Buckwheat groats are the hulled, crushed kernels,
which are usually cooked in a manner similar to rice. Groats come in coarse,
medium and fine grinds. Kasha, which is roasted buckwheat groats, has a
toastier, more nutty flavor.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Boron Elgar

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:51:39 GMT, Seth Goodman >
wrote:

>In article >,
>Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
>> guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
>> hold its texture & produce a similar result?

>Quinoa is a good substitute.

I will pass that on. Thanks.

Boron Elgar

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:06:52 -0600, Katra >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
>> guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
>> hold its texture & produce a similar result?
>>
>> Boron

>I'm allergic to wheat too so I understand...
>He might try pearl barley?

I suggested that to her (aren't the two of us smart!) and we decided
that it woodlot take too long to cook through. Pre-cooking the barley
was an idea, though.

>Or oatmeal?

Steel cut was also suggested in out discussions, but we decided it
would cook down too much toward mushiness.

Boron

Boron Elgar

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:06:52 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message ...
>> Boron Elgar > wrote:
>> > I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
>> > guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
>> > hold its texture & produce a similar result?

>> Why not make a stuffing that uses rice?

>Try buckwheat (kasha) - not wheat see below.
>
>Dimitri

She tried it once & two things happened...one, the kasha got very
"clumpy" and two, her friend's allergy extends to kasha.

I Have offered her all the suggestion that posters have been kind
enough to offer up this afternoon. I certainly learning in the
process and I hope I have been able to pass on the expertise that
abounds here.

Boron

>buckwheat
>
>A native of Russia, buckwheat is thought of as a cereal, but is actually an
>herb of the genus Fagopyrum. The triangular seeds of this plant are used to
>make buckwheat flour, which has an assertive flavor and is used for pancakes
>and as an addition to some baked goods. The famous Russian BLINI are made
>with buckwheat flour. Buckwheat groats are the hulled, crushed kernels,
>which are usually cooked in a manner similar to rice. Groats come in coarse,
>medium and fine grinds. Kasha, which is roasted buckwheat groats, has a
>toastier, more nutty flavor.
>© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
>LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Erica

Boron Elgar > wrote in message >. ..
> I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
> guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
> hold its texture & produce a similar result?
>
> Boron

How about a bread stuffing made with spelt bread? You can get it at
most health food stores.
Arri London

Boron Elgar wrote:

> I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
> guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
> hold its texture & produce a similar result?
>
> Boron

Don't stuff the turkey at all. Make the bulghur as a separate dressing
and make another pan full of cornbread-type dressing or rice/wild rice
or oats. Use an egg to bind the ingredients. The textures won't be
identical but it hardly matters.
Katra

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:06:52 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
>

> >Boron Elgar wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
> >> guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
> >> hold its texture & produce a similar result?
> >>
> >> Boron

> >I'm allergic to wheat too so I understand...
> >He might try pearl barley?

> I suggested that to her (aren't the two of us smart!) and we decided
> that it woodlot take too long to cook through. Pre-cooking the barley
> was an idea, though.
> >
> >Or oatmeal?

> Steel cut was also suggested in out discussions, but we decided it
> would cook down too much toward mushiness.
>
> Boron

I used brown rice myself this year, and the texture came out quite well.

I pressure cooked it and the kernels "popped". It came out nice and
sticky, just like a bread dressing would have. :-) I added celery,
onion, garlic, rosemary, sage, and thyme. I cooked the entire mess in
low sodium canned chicken broth, then quick fried fresh sliced
mushrooms, shredded crab and medium salad shrimp in LOTS of butter and
stirred that in. I was pleased with the final result... :-)

Steel cut oats very seldom get "mushy". <G>
Try a test run just steaming them in a pan on the stovetop using 1 1/2
cups water per 1 cup of steel cut oats.

Those are YUMMY served with a little butter, brown sugar and heavy cream!

K.
--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Katra

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:06:52 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
>

> >I'm allergic to wheat too so I understand...
> >He might try pearl barley?

> I suggested that to her (aren't the two of us smart!) and we decided
> that it woodlot take too long to cook through. Pre-cooking the barley
> was an idea, though.

Or pressure cooking it...

Mom always cooked pot roast in the pressure cooker, and pearl barley was
part of her recipe. It always went on the bottom of the pot.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Katra

Erica wrote:

> Boron Elgar > wrote in message >. ..
> > I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
> > guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
> > hold its texture & produce a similar result?
> >
> > Boron

> How about a bread stuffing made with spelt bread? You can get it at
> most health food stores.

Spelt is a type of wheat... For those with TRUE wheat allergies, you
can't eat that either...

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Miche

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> Erica wrote:
> >
> > Boron Elgar > wrote in message
> > >. ..
> > > I have a friend who makes a stuffing with bulghur, but is having a
> > > guest who is allergic to wheat. Is there some other grain that will
> > > hold its texture & produce a similar result?
> > >
> > > Boron

> > How about a bread stuffing made with spelt bread? You can get it at
> > most health food stores.

> Spelt is a type of wheat... For those with TRUE wheat allergies, you
> can't eat that either...

You beat me to it.

And for some, oats may be a problem too. It's worth checking to see
whether your guest has a problem just with wheat or all
gluten-containing grains. If the latter then rye, barley and oats are
out too. (Try rice?)

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Katra

Miche wrote:

> In article >,
> Katra > wrote:
>
> > Erica wrote:

> > > How about a bread stuffing made with spelt bread? You can get it at
> > > most health food stores.

> > Spelt is a type of wheat... For those with TRUE wheat allergies, you
> > can't eat that either...

> You beat me to it.

I'm allergic to wheat. ;-)
Wheat-free cooking is one of my "obsessions".
And it's an ongoing learning thing!

I do miss custard filled donuts, and pizza. <sigh>

I have been thrilled with De Bol's brand rice and corn pastas!!! :-d
Sun Harvest carries them.

> And for some, oats may be a problem too. It's worth checking to see
> whether your guest has a problem just with wheat or all
> gluten-containing grains. If the latter then rye, barley and oats are
> out too. (Try rice?)
>
> Miche

Excellent post. :-)
I was personally not sure about oats since I've not eaten them in such a
very long time...

Barley too? I did not know that, thanks! I'm still getting used to this.
<grumble whine>.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Miche

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> Miche wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > Katra > wrote:

> > > Spelt is a type of wheat... For those with TRUE wheat allergies, you
> > > can't eat that either...

> > You beat me to it.

> I'm allergic to wheat. ;-)

So am I.

> Wheat-free cooking is one of my "obsessions".
> And it's an ongoing learning thing!

Isn't it just.

> I do miss custard filled donuts, and pizza. <sigh>
>
> I have been thrilled with De Bol's brand rice and corn pastas!!! :-d
> Sun Harvest carries them.

Ah, me. They're not available where I live.

> > And for some, oats may be a problem too. It's worth checking to see
> > whether your guest has a problem just with wheat or all
> > gluten-containing grains. If the latter then rye, barley and oats are
> > out too. (Try rice?)
> >
> > Miche
> >

> Excellent post. :-)

Thanks.

> I was personally not sure about oats since I've not eaten them in such a
> very long time...
>
> Barley too? I did not know that, thanks! I'm still getting used to this.
> <grumble whine>.

I'm OK with barley, rye and oats. I do know people who aren't.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

levelwave

Ken Davey wrote:

> Every year/day you respond with utter contempt.
> Ya thinks that maybe folks ignore/forget your drivel as fast as you can post
> it:?

Well the ones that have him killfiled do... or at least *try* anyway...
but then someone such as yourself comes along and quotes every post he
makes...

Kinda defeats the purpose dontcha' think?

~john!