Kenneth Leja

Default Books where food plays central role

It's fruitcake weather, it's fruitcake weather.
David J. Loftus

Just about anything by M.F.K. Fisher, of course.

David Loftus
WardNA

Gryll Grange (Thomas Love Peacock)

zxcvbob

_Tequila Mockingbird_, by Harper Lee

Best regards,
Bob

the Robot Vegetable

In rec.arts.books Kenneth Leja > wrote:

_Make Room! Make Room!_ Harry Harrison

zxcvbob

the Robot Vegetable wrote:
> In rec.arts.books Kenneth Leja > wrote:

> _Make Room! Make Room!_ Harry Harrison

"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!" Actually, in the book, I don't think it was.

Bob

zxcvbob

Kenneth Leja wrote:

> It's fruitcake weather, it's fruitcake weather.

OK, a serious one now.
How about _The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding_, by Agatha Christie

Best regards,
Bob

the Robot Vegetable

In rec.arts.books zxcvbob > wrote:
> the Robot Vegetable wrote:
>> In rec.arts.books Kenneth Leja > wrote:

>> _Make Room! Make Room!_ Harry Harrison
>>

> "Soylent Green is PEOPLE!" Actually, in the book, I don't think it was.

Okay, drat! Let's try this one:

_Winter of Entrapment_ Joseph A. King
Tara

Memory of A Large Christmas
A Christmas Memory
A Year in Provence and the sequels
Under the Tuscan Sun
The Little House on the Prairie series
The All-of-a-Kind Family series

Tara

Ariane Jenkins

_On Rue Tatin_, by Susan Hermann Loomis

_Tender at the Bone_ and _Comfort Me with Apples_ by Ruth Reichl

_The Making of a Chef_, _Soul of a Chef_, by Michael Ruhlman

_Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen_ by Jacques Pepin

_A Year in Provence_, _Encore Provence_, _Toujours Provence_ and
_French Lessons_ by Peter Mayle

_Under the Tuscan Sun_ and _Bella Tuscany_, by Frances Mayes

_Dining Out: Secrets from America's Leading Criticis, Chefs and
Restauranteurs_, by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page

_Kitchen Confidential_ and _A Cook's Tour_,by Anthony Bourdain

_A Goose in Toulouse_ and _Olives: Life and Lore of a Noble Fruit_ by
Mort Rosenblum

_A House in the Sunflowers_ and _A Harvest of Sunflowers_, by Ruth
Silvestre

Tons more, really.

Ariane

Rick & Cyndi

"Ariane Jenkins" > wrote in message
:
:
[...]
==========

Can't think of a book (that hasn't already been mentioned) but I
remember a food movie:

9 1/2 weeks!

hahahahahahahahaha

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

JonquilJan

the Robot Vegetable > wrote in message
> In rec.arts.books Kenneth Leja > wrote:

> _Make Room! Make Room!_ Harry Harrison

Have to include 'Who is Killing the Great chefs of Europe' and any of the
Diane Mott Davidson mysteries.

JonquilJan

Sam Culotta

Thomas Berger, author of Little Big Man, wrote a series of novels about a
character named Reinhart. I remember Reinhart In Love, and Reinhart's
Women.
Berger's books are great reads: dark comedy, social satire...great stuff.
Reinhart's obsessions include women and cooking.
Thanks for reminding me of his books, I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed
reading him.

--
Sam
( Change "invalid" to net to reply )

"Kenneth Leja" > wrote in message
om...
> It's fruitcake weather, it's fruitcake weather.

Steven P. Wallace

Meghan wrote:

> My all-time favorite book AND movie ...
>
> Like Water For Chocolate
>
> MMM I need to read that again ...
>
> -Meghan

I found the old Lawrence Saunders mysteries (ala " FIRST DEADLY SIN")
had wonderful descriptions of chophouses in NYC

--

"There's more to life than Underwear" - Inspector 34 |

Meghan

My all-time favorite book AND movie ...

Like Water For Chocolate

MMM I need to read that again ...

-Meghan

Jeff Bienstadt

Kenneth Leja wrote:

> It's fruitcake weather, it's fruitcake weather.

"Love Like Gumbo" and "Crawfish Dreams", both by Nancy Rawles

--jkb

--
"People in stucco houses shouldn't throw quiche."
-- Sonny Crocket

Steven P. Wallace

levelwave wrote:

> Kenneth Leja wrote:
>
>> It's fruitcake weather, it's fruitcake weather.

> The Provincetown Seafood Cookbook by Howard Mitchum... An American
> Classic full of history and tales from the early birth of the American
> Seafood Industry... The recipes are generally traditional dishes brought
> over to New England from early Portugal immigrants... Regard by Tony
> Bourdain as the best Seafood Cookbook ever written - one that he still
> refers to today... (Mitchum is the mad drunken Chef that stumbles around
> town to the early morn' yelling incoherently at anything that moves in
> Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential)
>
> ~john!

I'm a big reader of New England mysteries and Phillip R Craig always
includes recipes from Martha's Vineyard(well, most always) at the tail
end of his books for food he has mentioned during the book...smoked
bluefish with detailed instructions is just one.

William Tappley, does things like this to a lesser extent.

Here's an interesting link that combines fiction with recipes:

http://www.webrary.org/rs/flbklists/Recipes.html

--

"There's more to life than Underwear" - Inspector 34 |

levelwave

Kenneth Leja wrote:

> It's fruitcake weather, it's fruitcake weather.

The Provincetown Seafood Cookbook by Howard Mitchum... An American
Classic full of history and tales from the early birth of the American
Seafood Industry... The recipes are generally traditional dishes brought
over to New England from early Portugal immigrants... Regard by Tony
Bourdain as the best Seafood Cookbook ever written - one that he still
refers to today... (Mitchum is the mad drunken Chef that stumbles around
town to the early morn' yelling incoherently at anything that moves in
Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential)

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

francis muir

Book 22, which is the Song of Solomon.
Little here that is not about food

the Robot Vegetable

_The Octopus_ and _The Pit_ by Frank Norris
Frogleg

Gerald Durrell's books about his family (Birds, Beasts, & Relatives,
Family & Fauna, and the title I can never remember) as well as many
stories in other collections feature food prominently and lyrically.

Claudia

Joanne Harris has published a delicious book called:

"Five Quarter of the Orange"

I devoured this novel and i strongly recommend it to anyone.

I haven't read her other novels yet but i know a lot of them involves
good food:

-Chocolat (there's a movie with Juliette Binoche & Johnny Depp from this
novel)
-Blackberry Wine

She has also published a recipe book
"My French Kitchen: a book of 120 treasured recipes"

francis muir

And of course:

*The Life of Pi*; particularly if you are a carnivore.

Franklin Harris

"Claudia" > wrote in message
> Joanne Harris has published a delicious book called:
>
> "Five Quarter of the Orange"
>
> I devoured this novel and i strongly recommend it to anyone.
>
> I haven't read her other novels yet but i know a lot of them involves
> good food:
>
> -Chocolat (there's a movie with Juliette Binoche & Johnny Depp from this
> novel)
> -Blackberry Wine
>
> She has also published a recipe book
> "My French Kitchen: a book of 120 treasured recipes"

Poppy Z. Brite's upcoming novel, "Liquor."

--
Franklin Harris
Pulp Culture Online, www.pulpculture.net

Micia64

I loved both Kitchen Confidential and A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain!
Does anyone watch his show on FoodNetwork?
blake murphy

(Kenneth Leja) writes:
>>It's fruitcake weather, it's fruitcake weather.

>A Modest Proposal.

<snort>

your pal,
blake

Utevsky

"Like Water For Chocolate"
"The Road to Wellville"

"Claudia" > wrote in message
> Joanne Harris has published a delicious book called:
>
> "Five Quarter of the Orange"
>
> I devoured this novel and i strongly recommend it to anyone.
>
> I haven't read her other novels yet but i know a lot of them involves
> good food:
>
> -Chocolat (there's a movie with Juliette Binoche & Johnny Depp from this
> novel)
> -Blackberry Wine
>
> She has also published a recipe book
> "My French Kitchen: a book of 120 treasured recipes"

Leila A.

"Utevsky" > wrote in message >...
> "Like Water For Chocolate"
> "The Road to Wellville"
>

> "Claudia" > wrote in message
> > Joanne Harris has published a delicious book called:
> >
> > "Five Quarter of the Orange"
> >
> > I devoured this novel and i strongly recommend it to anyone.
> >
> > I haven't read her other novels yet but i know a lot of them involves
> > good food:
> >
> > -Chocolat (there's a movie with Juliette Binoche & Johnny Depp from this
> > novel)
> > -Blackberry Wine
> >
> > She has also published a recipe book
> > "My French Kitchen: a book of 120 treasured recipes"

I just finished reading "Crescent" by Diana Abu-Jaber, about an
Arab-American woman chef in Los Angeles. Lots of detail on the food -
smells and tastes - as well as the hard work of a chef's life.

Also the details of L.A. are meticulously described. I don't really
know that city at all but now I *have* to visit the area around UCLA
and see what the Middle Eastern neighborhood is all about.
If you like Isabel Allende you will like this novel.

Leila

If you are interested. Best food books of 2014 ImStillMags General Cooking 0 17-12-2014 03:18 PM
Sleeping Plays Vital Role For Better Health sara bareilles General Cooking 4 28-02-2012 05:02 PM
Hardcore Food/Cooking Books Sqwertz[_34_] General Cooking 64 07-07-2009 07:22 AM
New Food Books Tara General Cooking 1 05-11-2006 07:43 PM
FOOD BOOKS UK El Tel Baking 0 11-11-2003 10:45 AM