dogsnus

Default Brussel sprouts

I just tried this way of cooking them last night for the first
time and I really liked the way they turned out.

Slice brussel sprouts in half and put them into a pie tin,
flat side up.
Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Put them in a 425F oven for 30-45 mins, depending upon
your oven, (mine is new to me and gas, so it cooks differently
from what I'm used to)
The end result should be a carmelized exterior, dark brown
but not black and the insides should be creamy.

Tres good!

Terri
jmcquown

dogsnus wrote:
> I just tried this way of cooking them last night for the first
> time and I really liked the way they turned out.
>
> Slice brussel sprouts in half and put them into a pie tin,
> flat side up.
> Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
> Put them in a 425F oven for 30-45 mins, depending upon
> your oven, (mine is new to me and gas, so it cooks differently
> from what I'm used to)
> The end result should be a carmelized exterior, dark brown
> but not black and the insides should be creamy.
>
> Tres good!
>
> Terri

I love brussels sprouts. I bake mine similiarly but add some grated
Parmesan cheese on the top and butter to the baking dish along with the
splash of olive oil.

If you are cooking whole brussels sprouts, Mom always says to cut an X in
the bottom stem after paring. I don't know why, but this really works to
make them taste less bitter. And there's always one *really* bitter sprout
in the basket!

Jill

Righar

> Tres good!

Ever tried them that way ? Split'em in quarters, boil them
for 15 minutes in salted water, drain.

While it's cooking prepare these:

In a bowl : mix black pepper, garlic, parsley, basil and an
egg yolk.
In a pan : melt butter, until 1/4 inch deep in your pan,
than add one chopped onion. usually I cut the entire onion
in two halves, chop each in half a centimeter slices, but
holding the onion together, then cut again vertically, easy
way to have chopped onion (!).

Fry the onions in the butter until translucent. Then, dip
each drained / dried piece of sprout in the bowl, and leave
to fry until light brown. (should not take more than 5
minutes). And voila ! Brussel sprouts that every brussel
sprouter hater (or fat hater) will LOVE. Nice with white
fish or ham things

Tres bon aussi

Alex.

Herself

dogsnus > wrote:

> I just tried this way of cooking them last night for the first
> time and I really liked the way they turned out.
>
> Slice brussel sprouts in half and put them into a pie tin,
> flat side up.
> Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
> Put them in a 425F oven for 30-45 mins, depending upon
> your oven, (mine is new to me and gas, so it cooks differently
> from what I'm used to)
> The end result should be a carmelized exterior, dark brown
> but not black and the insides should be creamy.

I just did a dish with udon noodles, red peppers and miso with
barely-steamed sprouts. I don't like sprouts...or at least I didn't.
Those were damn good...
--
'Tis Herself
texpat

Here's my favorite way:

Cut sprouts in two, then boil in chicken broth for 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
Fry bacon crisp, remove bacon and add sprouts. Salt and pepper, and cook
until the sprouts are done, and picking up some color. Serve with crumbled
bacon over the top.

The original recipe called for chestnuts baked in the oven, peeled, then
added to the sprouts in the bacon fat. We found they were waaaay too much
work, and too little reward.

Mark Thorson

Default Brussel[s] sprouts

dogsnus wrote:

> I just tried this way of cooking them last night for the first
> time and I really liked the way they turned out.

I eat lots of Brussels sprouts, and I've discovered I like them
best raw [gasp!]. At the store I pick out the smallest ones,
and when I get home I cut a slice off the base of each one
and peel off the outer leaves. I probably discard about
one-third to one-half (by weight) of the sprouts.

Peter Aitken

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> dogsnus wrote:
>
> > I just tried this way of cooking them last night for the first
> > time and I really liked the way they turned out.

> I eat lots of Brussels sprouts, and I've discovered I like them
> best raw [gasp!]. At the store I pick out the smallest ones,
> and when I get home I cut a slice off the base of each one
> and peel off the outer leaves. I probably discard about
> one-third to one-half (by weight) of the sprouts.

I think that Julia's was is still the best. Trim and cut a small cross in
the stem for even cooking. Blanch for 5-6 minutes in boiling salted water.
Put in a covered baking dish in 1-2 layers with lots of butter, some S&P,
and bake at 350 until just tender - 15-25 minutes depending on the sprouts.
Be *sure* not to overcook them - mushy sprouts are the pits.

--
Peter Aitken

The Peters

"dogsnus" > wrote in message
> The end result should be a carmelized exterior, dark brown
> but not black and the insides should be creamy.

my husband just made them based on a recommendation in savuer.... blanch
them, then slice them in half. toss them in a hot pan with melted butter
until the edges begin to carmelize. toss with breadcrumbs and serve. it
was not a huge change but a tasty one.

Wayne Boatwright

Righar > wrote in :

> Ever tried them that way ? Split'em in quarters, boil them
> for 15 minutes in salted water, drain.

If I boil quartered sprouts for 15 minutes, they'd be mush!
Aria

They're fine in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes at the most. Then just
stir in freshly grated parmesan cheese and alittle bit of Dijon mustard.
They must be crisp or they are awful, in my opinion....

"The Peters" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "dogsnus" > wrote in message
> > The end result should be a carmelized exterior, dark brown
> > but not black and the insides should be creamy.

> my husband just made them based on a recommendation in savuer.... blanch
> them, then slice them in half. toss them in a hot pan with melted butter
> until the edges begin to carmelize. toss with breadcrumbs and serve. it
> was not a huge change but a tasty one.

Mark Shaw

Here's what I do:

Trim and bisect

blanch in boiling water till they turn bright green (about
two minutes)

Submerge in ice water to halt the cooking process

When everything else is almost ready, drizzle some olive oil
in a very hot saute pan, add sprout halves, and make sure
they're cut-side-down

Saute for a minute or two, then shake them up -- by this time
the pan should be cool enough to add several cloves of garlic,
minced

Continue cooking for another minute or so, moving them around
in the pan, and finish with a bit of soy sauce

They come out nice and carmelized. Quite tasty.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"How can any culture that has more lawyers
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Mark Thorson
> wrote:
> I eat lots of Brussels sprouts, and I've discovered I like them
> best raw [gasp!].

Kind of like eating raw cabbage? I love the inner part of a nice sweet
head of cabbage. I nibble when prepping cole slaw.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>
PENMART01

In article >, Melba's
Jammin' > writes:

> Mark Thorson
> wrote:
>> I eat lots of Brussels sprouts, and I've discovered I like them
>> best raw [gasp!].

>Kind of like eating raw cabbage? I love the inner part of a nice sweet
>head of cabbage. I nibble when prepping cole slaw.

Me too... and the heart is cooks treat. But I gotta tell ya, how sweet and
tender the inner part of a cabbage, it's nothing compared with when it's a
fresh picked head from your own garden... no comparison to those ancient
stupidmarket cabbages... next year I'm gonna plant even more heads. And here
yoose thought I was gonna comment on nibbling around the sweet part.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jeff Bienstadt

dogsnus wrote:

> I just tried this way of cooking them last night for the first
> time and I really liked the way they turned out.
>
> Slice brussel sprouts in half and put them into a pie tin,
> flat side up.
> Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
> Put them in a 425F oven for 30-45 mins, depending upon
> your oven, (mine is new to me and gas, so it cooks differently
> from what I'm used to)
> The end result should be a carmelized exterior, dark brown
> but not black and the insides should be creamy.
>
> Tres good!
>
> Terri

I like to cut them in half, then steam them until just tender. Then I
briefly saute them in butter, until they just pick up some color, and hit
'em with just a touch of nutmeg.

---jkb

--
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect

Tigsnona

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:05:50 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>dogsnus wrote:
>> I just tried this way of cooking them last night for the first
>> time and I really liked the way they turned out.
>>
>> Slice brussel sprouts in half and put them into a pie tin,
>> flat side up.
>> Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
>> Put them in a 425F oven for 30-45 mins, depending upon
>> your oven, (mine is new to me and gas, so it cooks differently
>> from what I'm used to)
>> The end result should be a carmelized exterior, dark brown
>> but not black and the insides should be creamy.
>>
>> Tres good!
>>
>> Terri

>I love brussels sprouts. I bake mine similiarly but add some grated
>Parmesan cheese on the top and butter to the baking dish along with the
>splash of olive oil.
>
>If you are cooking whole brussels sprouts, Mom always says to cut an X in
>the bottom stem after paring. I don't know why, but this really works to
>make them taste less bitter. And there's always one *really* bitter sprout
>in the basket!
>
>Jill

You put a cross in the bottom stem to aid the cooking process. You
can do the same with large asparagus also. I seem to have always
done it with b.s. but never knew about the bitterness.

Have you tried them with real bacon bits over them? Very nice.

Tigsnona

If you can keep your head when those around you
are losing theirs, you probably haven't understood
the situation.