OhJeeez

Default street food snacks

<< i want to find out what street foods out there can be preserved or made into
snacks, those who don't need refrigeration and
could have a long shelf life.

isn't this a contradiction? i mean, isn't street food meant to be consumed at
the moment?

Ariane Jenkins

On 19 Nov 2003 17:23:32 -0800, babar > wrote:
> hello folks,
> i want to find out what street foods out there can be
> preserved or made into snacks, those who don't need refrigeration and
> could have a long shelf life. it doesn't matter what part of the world
> it comes from. name and description of the snack would be helpfull. i
> need this for my thesis in school. thank you in advance.

Depends on what you mean by a long shelf life, but I can tell
you about our recent experiences in Malaysia, where street food is a
way of life. The foods prepared there aren't meant to be refrigerated
or set aside for long periods of time, because they're _street food_.
Everything we ate at hawker stalls was prepared after we ordered it,
delivered to our table promptly, and consumed even more promptly. I
really can't think of many street foods that would fit your criteria.
Here are the very few that might work:

1) Not sure of the Chinese name for it, but it's basically a jerky,
usually made with beef or pork. Highly seasoned, and either made
from thinly sliced meat or ground meat that's pressed into sheets
before cooking/curing. I assume it has a long shelf life the way
beef jerky does, but quite frankly, any time we get our hands on
any of the real stuff, it disappears within days.

2) A bundle of steamed sticky rice, salted egg, chinese sausage and other
goodies, wrapped in a banana leaf and tied into a neat package.

3) Kueh-- sweet, sticky rice cakes, sometimes with fillings, sometimes
not. Usually flavored with coconut milk and dyed with pandan
sometimes.

4) Fruit. In Malaysia, this means durian, rambutans, pomelos,
starfruit, chiku, the ever-present banana, longans, lychees, etc.
This may require a looser definition of street food, however.

You might want to revamp your thesis if it's very dependent on this
long shelf life thing. There's tons more great street food we had,
but I don't think they'd be too great sitting around in such a hot,
humid climate with no refrigeration.

Ariane
Bob Myers

"babar" > wrote in message
om...
> hello folks,
> i want to find out what street foods out there can be
> preserved or made into snacks, those who don't need refrigeration and
> could have a long shelf life. it doesn't matter what part of the world
> it comes from. name and description of the snack would be helpfull. i
> need this for my thesis in school. thank you in advance.

You might want to be a bit clearer in your request. I have
to assume you're asking what traditional "street vendor" sorts
of food items could be turned into a commercial, prepackaged
snack food ala Frito-Lay. Right?

How is it a person who's supposed to be writing a thesis
doesn't know where the shift key is, by the way?

Bob M.

Dan Abel

In article >, "Bob Myers"
> wrote:

> "babar" > wrote in message
> om...
> > hello folks,
> > i want to find out what street foods out there can be
> > preserved or made into snacks, those who don't need refrigeration and
> > could have a long shelf life. it doesn't matter what part of the world
> > it comes from. name and description of the snack would be helpfull. i
> > need this for my thesis in school. thank you in advance.

> How is it a person who's supposed to be writing a thesis
> doesn't know where the shift key is, by the way?

The word "thesis" has several meanings. At the most basic, it is simply
an argument. High school English teachers are fond of assignments where
the student writes a thesis, often only a page long. For example:

Write a thesis defending or rebutting the statement that street food by
its very nature cannot have a long shelf life. Provide examples to
support your thesis.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

babar

Thanks folks for the replies, so here are stuff to make my question
much clearer. My thesis is about ethnic foods snacks, whose
ingredients, preparation and origins came from the streets around the
world. An example would be peanuts. they are sold in the streets of
new york. but as we all know, we can also buy it in any grocery or
store. I think the kuehs (from Malaysia) have been mentioned to me and
this would be a good example of being possible to be stored at room
temperature for a good number of days without spoiling. Many Indian
snacks I found too. So I hope I made my thesis clear. I don't intend
to contradict the experience of eating street food straight from the
hot pan. I just want to make those snacks available to other
consumers, saving them the travel. In a way it would just seem exotic
to them or ethnic, not street. So there you go... any other ideas?
thank you once again for any suggestions or comments.

Katra

babar wrote:

> Thanks folks for the replies, so here are stuff to make my question
> much clearer. My thesis is about ethnic foods snacks, whose
> ingredients, preparation and origins came from the streets around the
> world. An example would be peanuts. they are sold in the streets of
> new york. but as we all know, we can also buy it in any grocery or
> store. I think the kuehs (from Malaysia) have been mentioned to me and
> this would be a good example of being possible to be stored at room
> temperature for a good number of days without spoiling. Many Indian
> snacks I found too. So I hope I made my thesis clear. I don't intend
> to contradict the experience of eating street food straight from the
> hot pan. I just want to make those snacks available to other
> consumers, saving them the travel. In a way it would just seem exotic
> to them or ethnic, not street. So there you go... any other ideas?
> thank you once again for any suggestions or comments.

Here. Found this on google. ;-)
Looks like an interesting site, I'll be going back to explore it myself! LOL!

http://www.openair.org/opair/strtfood.html

Thanks!
K.
--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra