Makoto Taniguchi

Default problems with making fried chicken @ home

I've been having a problem with my chicken tasting bloody but what
does KFC and does other fast-food chains do to get rid of that excess
blood?
kag

i dont know what kfc does but brining first should help

karen

Makoto Taniguchi > wrote in message
m...
> I've been having a problem with my chicken tasting bloody but what
> does KFC and does other fast-food chains do to get rid of that excess
> blood?

Vox Humana

"kag" > wrote in message
> i dont know what kfc does but brining first should help

I think that KFC does brine their chicken. I agree that brining should
help. An alternative would be to marinate in buttermilk overnight.

levelwave

Vox Humana wrote:

> I think that KFC does brine their chicken. I agree that brining should
> help. An alternative would be to marinate in buttermilk overnight.

What does soaking in buttermilk do that brining does not?...

~john!

....always wondered

--
Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest
with your face down on it...

Vox Humana

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > I think that KFC does brine their chicken. I agree that brining should
> > help. An alternative would be to marinate in buttermilk overnight.

> What does soaking in buttermilk do that brining does not?...
>
> ~john!
>

> ...always wondered

I think it is a flavor alternative, not so much that it does something
different.

ConnieG999

levelwave > writes:

>> I think that KFC does brine their chicken. I agree that brining should
>> help. An alternative would be to marinate in buttermilk overnight.

>What does soaking in buttermilk do that brining does not?..

Most likely nothing. It wasn't offered as a better idea, it was offered as an
alternative.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

Vox Humana

"Z GIRL" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "kag" > wrote in message
> > > i dont know what kfc does but brining first should help
> > >

> > I think that KFC does brine their chicken. I agree that brining should
> > help. An alternative would be to marinate in buttermilk overnight.
> >

> KFC does not brine their chicken in buttermilk. They merely dip it in the
> buttermilk before breading.
> It has been a long time, but I use to work there.

I said that I thought the chicken was brined. I offered marinating the
chicken in buttermilk as an alternative.

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:49:36 -0500, levelwave >
wrote:

>Vox Humana wrote:
>
>> I think that KFC does brine their chicken. I agree that brining should
>> help. An alternative would be to marinate in buttermilk overnight.

>What does soaking in buttermilk do that brining does not?...
>
>~john!
>

>...always wondered

Adds a lovely tangy flavor.
Kim
Z GIRL

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "kag" > wrote in message
> > i dont know what kfc does but brining first should help
> >

> I think that KFC does brine their chicken. I agree that brining should
> help. An alternative would be to marinate in buttermilk overnight.

KFC does not brine their chicken in buttermilk. They merely dip it in the
buttermilk before breading.
It has been a long time, but I use to work there.

peace,
Barbara

Mark Shaw

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

>"levelwave" > wrote in message
>> Vox Humana wrote:
>>
>> > I think that KFC does brine their chicken. I agree that brining should
>> > help. An alternative would be to marinate in buttermilk overnight.

>> What does soaking in buttermilk do that brining does not?...

>I think it is a flavor alternative, not so much that it does something
>different.

It helps form a nice crust, too.

See the Good Eats fried chicken recipe at foodtv.com. It's
delightful.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"Those who say you can't balance a budget without raising taxes are just
Bob Pastorio

Damaeus wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, "Z GIRL" > posted
> on Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:42:07 -0600:
>

>>KFC does not brine their chicken in buttermilk. They merely
>>dip it in the buttermilk before breading. It has been a long
>>time, but I use to work there.

> Someone told me that they'd NEVER eat KFC's brown gravy because they
> knew how it was made. Personally I suspect they use the grease they fry
> their chicken in to make a roux and they simply make gravy from that.
> Is that correct?

They use a mix.

Pastorio

> I bet one good taste duplication would be to use butter or some kind of
> oil, chicken broth, beef broth, heavy cream and a cornstarch & flour
> slurry. Add some salt and the other 22 secret herbs and spices to make
> it taste like KFC gravy without having used grease that's been heated to
> death and beyond. Only thing is, that method is going to result in a
> pretty light gravy, not the dark one that KFC has. I get darker gravy
> by using water instead of milk or cream, of course, but I'm really not
> fond of water-based gravy.
>
> Damaeus

: I've been having a problem with my chicken tasting bloody but what
: does KFC and does other fast-food chains do to get rid of that excess
: blood?

They cook it. Duh.