Dawn

Default crab cakes -- make ahead?

Howdy all,

I'm planning to make crab cakes for appetizers for a fancy dinner
Wednesday night. Is it possible to make the "batter" of crab, onion,
egg, etc the day before and hold it in the fridge to be cooked just
before serving? I'm trying to spread the cooking out over 2 days and do
as much ahead of time as possible.

Dawn

Steve Calvin

Dawn wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I'm planning to make crab cakes for appetizers for a fancy dinner
> Wednesday night. Is it possible to make the "batter" of crab, onion,
> egg, etc the day before and hold it in the fridge to be cooked just
> before serving? I'm trying to spread the cooking out over 2 days and do
> as much ahead of time as possible.
>

> Dawn

Hm... I'm not sure about that. I may be tempted but it really doesn't
take that long to toss the ingredients together. I'd add a little
spicy mustard and Old Bay seasoning too.

--
Steve

If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

BOB

Dawn > typed:
> Howdy all,
>
> I'm planning to make crab cakes for appetizers for a fancy dinner
> Wednesday night. Is it possible to make the "batter" of crab, onion,
> egg, etc the day before and hold it in the fridge to be cooked just
> before serving? I'm trying to spread the cooking out over 2 days and do
> as much ahead of time as possible.
>

> Dawn

Yes, you can, but the finished result will be more of a "mushy" center.

Here's my favorite way to make crab cakes:
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesCrabcakes.html
even though the cooker is the wrong color '-)

BOB

Frogleg

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:22:32 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>Dawn > typed:

>> I'm planning to make crab cakes for appetizers for a fancy dinner
>> Wednesday night. Is it possible to make the "batter" of crab, onion,
>> egg, etc the day before and hold it in the fridge to be cooked just
>> before serving? I'm trying to spread the cooking out over 2 days and do
>> as much ahead of time as possible.

>Yes, you can, but the finished result will be more of a "mushy" center.
>
>Here's my favorite way to make crab cakes:
>http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesCrabcakes.html

Many recipes, incl. the one cited above, recommend refrigerating the
formed cakes for an hour or more (to help them sort of glom together
and not fall apart when cooked) before grilling/frying. 24 hrs may be
pushing it,
BOB

Frogleg typed:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:22:32 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> Dawn > typed:

>>> I'm planning to make crab cakes for appetizers for a fancy dinner
>>> Wednesday night. Is it possible to make the "batter" of crab, onion,
>>> egg, etc the day before and hold it in the fridge to be cooked just
>>> before serving? I'm trying to spread the cooking out over 2 days and do
>>> as much ahead of time as possible.

>> Yes, you can, but the finished result will be more of a "mushy" center.
>>
>> Here's my favorite way to make crab cakes:
>> http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesCrabcakes.html

> Many recipes, incl. the one cited above, recommend refrigerating the
> formed cakes for an hour or more (to help them sort of glom together
> and not fall apart when cooked) before grilling/frying. 24 hrs may be
> pushing it,

Exactly. Even overnight is too long, IME.

BOB

Jack Schidt®

"Dawn" > wrote in message
> Howdy all,
>
> I'm planning to make crab cakes for appetizers for a fancy dinner
> Wednesday night. Is it possible to make the "batter" of crab, onion,
> egg, etc the day before and hold it in the fridge to be cooked just
> before serving? I'm trying to spread the cooking out over 2 days and do
> as much ahead of time as possible.

I wouldn't; crab cakes are best when they're made start to finish in one
session. I'd suggest moving it toward the end of your schedule and moving
something else to the early part. ('reprioritizing your timeline', isn't
that the corpspeak version?). If you can't do that, make the crab cakes
today; They'll do ok in the refrigerator for the day and a half you're
talking (it is THIS wednesday, right?)

Jack Schedule

Dawn

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> I wouldn't; crab cakes are best when they're made start to finish in one
> session.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think what I will do is
saute up the onion and celery and corn that are part of the recipe I
have chosen, and set that in the fridge the night before. Then I'll mix
up the rest of the ingredients just prior to frying.

Dawn

limey

"Dawn" wrote in message
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't; crab cakes are best when they're made start to finish in one
> > session.

> Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think what I will do is
> saute up the onion and celery and corn that are part of the recipe I
> have chosen, and set that in the fridge the night before. Then I'll mix
> up the rest of the ingredients just prior to frying.
>
> Dawn

After forming the patties, refrigerate them for an hour or so. They are
less likely to break apart in the pan. Handle lightly.

Dora

Sylvia

I've bought crab and lobster cakes at the local grocery store that were
already cooked and just needed to be heated (25 minutes in a 350 oven,
IIRC), Maybe you could do that?

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

How far ahead can you make these? Kris[_1_] General Cooking 25 17-07-2009 03:27 PM
make ahead? cathy General Cooking 5 31-03-2006 06:26 AM
Joe's Crab Shack Crab Cakes (Clone Recipe) Duckie ® Recipes 0 03-03-2005 03:13 PM
Simply Delicious Chesapeake Crab Cakes (1994 - First Place, Crab Cake Division) Duckie ® Recipes 0 25-06-2004 12:13 AM
how to make these ahead? Steve & Chris Clark General Cooking 5 13-04-2004 01:28 AM