Miss Prissy

Default Electric Frypan Xmas Cake

Can anyone help me with some instructions on baking a Christmas cake
in an electric frypan? My oven hasn't worked for a while now but I
heard you can bake a Christmas cake this way.

Thanks
Miss Prissy
Dimitri

"Miss Prissy" > wrote in message
om...
> Can anyone help me with some instructions on baking a Christmas cake
> in an electric frypan? My oven hasn't worked for a while now but I
> heard you can bake a Christmas cake this way.
>
> Thanks
> Miss Prissy

Here is one recipe for an upside down cake from Google.

Electric Fry Pan Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

1 package yellow cake mix

¼ cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
pineapple rings in juice, drained
maraschino cherries

Turn electric fry pan to 200. Melt margarine in bottom. Sprinkle brown sugar
evenly over that. Mix yellow cake according to instructions. Arrange
pineapple slices and cherries on bottom of pan. Turn temperature to 250.
Pour cake batter carefully and evenly into fry pan. Put lid on, leaving
vent open! Cook 30-40 minutes. Top should be dry. Loosen and flip onto
platter. A pizza pan works well.

Dimitri

Wayne Boatwright

(Miss Prissy) wrote in
om:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message

(Miss Prissy) wrote in
>> news:2d775b10.0311170012.51004cb3 @posting.google.com:
>>
>> > Can anyone help me with some instructions on baking a Christmas
>> > cake in an electric frypan? My oven hasn't worked for a while now
>> > but I heard you can bake a Christmas cake this way.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Miss Prissy
>> >

>> If your electric frypan has a high dome lid, it should work rather
>> well. Place a rack in the bottom of your frypan. The rack should
>> raise your baking tin at least 1/2" above the bottom of the pan.
>> Prepare your cake batter as usual and fill baking tin as usual.
>> Note: baking tin should not touch the inside of the frypan lid. I
>> would recommend baking at 250-275°F. Your cake may take longer to
>> bake than in the oven, but begin checking for doneness 20 minutes or
>> so before the alloted time.
>>
>> HTH
>> Wayne

> Thanks Wayne, my frypan has a high glass dome lid so that should work
> okay. My temperature knob is numbered from 1-10. Any idea where
> 250-275 deg F might be on the dial? When you say longer - much longer?
> - like an hour or less or does it just depend?

Your glass lid should be superior, since it will hold and radiate the
heat from above far better than thin metal. Since most electric frypan
temperatures top out at 450° F., a bit past halfway should be abount
right. Fortunately, most Christmas cakes and other fruitcakes are very
dense and are not as sensitive to temperature as are plain butter cakes.
I think you have more latitude with both the temperature and timing.
Luckily, too, with the glass lid you can observe the progress without
lifting the lid and reducing temperature. If you have a very high fruit
content and it's very moist fruit, it could easily be 45-60 minutes
longer than using the oven. As soon as the surface of the cake has a
uniform dullness or dry appearance to it, I would begin checking with a
toothpick or cake tester and continue doing so at 15-20 minute intervals
until done.

HTH
Wayne

Miss Prissy

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message >...
> (Miss Prissy) wrote in
> om:
>
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message

(Miss Prissy) wrote in
> >> news:2d775b10.0311170012.51004cb3 @posting.google.com:

> >> If your electric frypan has a high dome lid, it should work rather
> >> well. Place a rack in the bottom of your frypan. The rack should
> >> raise your baking tin at least 1/2" above the bottom of the pan.
> >> Prepare your cake batter as usual and fill baking tin as usual.
> >> Note: baking tin should not touch the inside of the frypan lid. I
> >> would recommend baking at 250-275°F. Your cake may take longer to
> >> bake than in the oven, but begin checking for doneness 20 minutes or
> >> so before the alloted time.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >> Wayne

> > Thanks Wayne, my frypan has a high glass dome lid so that should work
> > okay. My temperature knob is numbered from 1-10. Any idea where
> > 250-275 deg F might be on the dial? When you say longer - much longer?
> > - like an hour or less or does it just depend?

> Your glass lid should be superior, since it will hold and radiate the
> heat from above far better than thin metal. Since most electric frypan
> temperatures top out at 450° F., a bit past halfway should be abount
> right. Fortunately, most Christmas cakes and other fruitcakes are very
> dense and are not as sensitive to temperature as are plain butter cakes.
> I think you have more latitude with both the temperature and timing.
> Luckily, too, with the glass lid you can observe the progress without
> lifting the lid and reducing temperature. If you have a very high fruit
> content and it's very moist fruit, it could easily be 45-60 minutes
> longer than using the oven. As soon as the surface of the cake has a
> uniform dullness or dry appearance to it, I would begin checking with a
> toothpick or cake tester and continue doing so at 15-20 minute intervals
> until done.
>
> HTH
> Wayne

Thanks for all the great tips and instructions. We went without a
homemade cake last year. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Miss Prissy
Miss Prissy

"Dimitri" > wrote in message . com>...
> "Miss Prissy" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Can anyone help me with some instructions on baking a Christmas cake
> > in an electric frypan? My oven hasn't worked for a while now but I
> > heard you can bake a Christmas cake this way.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Miss Prissy

> Here is one recipe for an upside down cake from Google.
>
> Electric Fry Pan Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
>
> 1 package yellow cake mix
>
> ¼ cup margarine
> 1 cup brown sugar
> pineapple rings in juice, drained
> maraschino cherries
>

> Turn electric fry pan to 200. Melt margarine in bottom. Sprinkle brown sugar
> evenly over that. Mix yellow cake according to instructions. Arrange
> pineapple slices and cherries on bottom of pan. Turn temperature to 250.
> Pour cake batter carefully and evenly into fry pan. Put lid on, leaving
> vent open! Cook 30-40 minutes. Top should be dry. Loosen and flip onto
> platter. A pizza pan works well.
>
> Dimitri

Thanks Dimitri,

That sounds tasty.

Cheers
Miss Prissy
Wayne Boatwright

(Miss Prissy) wrote in
m:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message

(Miss Prissy) wrote in
>> om:
>>
>> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message

(Miss Prissy) wrote in

>> > Thanks Wayne, my frypan has a high glass dome lid so that should
>> > work okay. My temperature knob is numbered from 1-10. Any idea
>> > where 250-275 deg F might be on the dial? When you say longer -
>> > much longer?
>> > - like an hour or less or does it just depend?

>> Your glass lid should be superior, since it will hold and radiate the
>> heat from above far better than thin metal. Since most electric
>> frypan temperatures top out at 450° F., a bit past halfway should be
>> abount right. Fortunately, most Christmas cakes and other fruitcakes
>> are very dense and are not as sensitive to temperature as are plain
>> butter cakes. I think you have more latitude with both the
>> temperature and timing. Luckily, too, with the glass lid you can
>> observe the progress without lifting the lid and reducing
>> temperature. If you have a very high fruit content and it's very
>> moist fruit, it could easily be 45-60 minutes longer than using the
>> oven. As soon as the surface of the cake has a uniform dullness or
>> dry appearance to it, I would begin checking with a toothpick or cake
>> tester and continue doing so at 15-20 minute intervals until done.
>>
>> HTH
>> Wayne

> Thanks for all the great tips and instructions. We went without a
> homemade cake last year. I'll let you know how I get on.
>
> Cheers
> Miss Prissy

Please do. Bset of luck!

Wayne