McGuirk1

Default making turkey gravy without roasting a turkey..

A friend is doing her thanksgiving turkey on the weber grill this year. She
was asking me about making gravy. Is she stuck with buying packaged powder?
Any tips? Thank you.
Siobhan Perricone

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 05:49:10 GMT, Donna Rose >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>>A friend is doing her thanksgiving turkey on the weber grill this year. She
>>was asking me about making gravy. Is she stuck with buying packaged powder?
>>Any tips? Thank you.
>>

>Buy a package of turkey wings. Simmer, together with giblets (but not
>the liver - it makes the stock bitter) and add carrots, onions and
>celery, as well as standard stock spices. Strain, make a roux

A roux is better, preferably a nicely browned one, because this:

>or slurry
>with flour or cornstarch and add to the stock to thicken.

Will have a raw floury taste unless you cook the gravy for a looong time,
and it usually won't hold up to that long a cooking.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"
levelwave

McGuirk1 wrote:

> A friend is doing her thanksgiving turkey on the weber grill this year. She
> was asking me about making gravy. Is she stuck with buying packaged powder?
> Any tips? Thank you.

The latest issue of Cook's Illustrated tackles this very issue... How to
make a meaty gravy without the actual meat...

~john!

--
At no other point in history has the poor man been fatter than a rich
man... You gotta love America... where the poor can eat like a King!

Dimitri

"McGuirk1" > wrote in message
> A friend is doing her thanksgiving turkey on the weber grill this year.

She
> was asking me about making gravy. Is she stuck with buying packaged

powder?
> Any tips? Thank you.

Nope.

The neck, wing tips and gizzards simmered with a mirepoix will make a
flavorful broth. Once the broth is strained the person can make a roux
however add some powdered poultry seasoning (parsley sage rosemary and
thyme) to the roux. Then add the broth for a nice gravy. This can be
spiked with some white wine, some sherry, or what ever else strikes your
fancy. Finally if a drip pan is used under the turkey, it can be deglazed
just like an roasting pan.

Dimitri

Wayne Jones

I make turkey or chicken gravy using canned chicken broth.
Mix some flour with water or the stock and add to boiling stock to thicken.
Flavour with poultry mix and onion powder or flakes. Darken with soy sauce
if desired. It makes a great gravy and really simple and easy.
Wayne