jmcquown

Default Which cheese for Quiche?

My favorite quiche recipe calls for spinach and crumbled feta. I don't have
any feta cheese. So here's the quiche question of the day: What other
cheese to use?
I have fontina, gruyere, herbed brie and baby swiss.
Which one would you use with spinach?

Jill

Margaret Suran

jmcquown wrote:

> My favorite quiche recipe calls for spinach and crumbled feta. I don't have
> any feta cheese. So here's the quiche question of the day: What other
> cheese to use?
> I have fontina, gruyere, herbed brie and baby swiss.
> Which one would you use with spinach?
>
> Jill

I have never used any other cheese than a good imported Swiss cheese for
making quiches, but I have never tried to make one with spinach.

BTW, quiches were traditionally made without cheeses, just cream and
crumbled bacon. That was so long ago, I no longer can find the recipe.
Does anybody remember cheeseless quiches?
jmcquown

Margaret Suran wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> My favorite quiche recipe calls for spinach and crumbled feta. I
>> don't have any feta cheese. So here's the quiche question of the
>> day: What other cheese to use?
>> I have fontina, gruyere, herbed brie and baby swiss.
>> Which one would you use with spinach?
>>
>> Jill

> I have never used any other cheese than a good imported Swiss cheese
> for making quiches, but I have never tried to make one with spinach.
>
> BTW, quiches were traditionally made without cheeses, just cream and
> crumbled bacon. That was so long ago, I no longer can find the
> recipe.
> Does anybody remember cheeseless quiches?

I'll have to look in the cookbook you sent me, Austrian Cooking and Baking,
to see if quiches are mentioned. I don't remember quiche without cheese.

Jill

Margaret Suran

jmcquown wrote:

> Margaret Suran wrote:

> > BTW, quiches were traditionally made without cheeses, just cream and
> > crumbled bacon. That was so long ago, I no longer can find the
> > recipe.
> > Does anybody remember cheeseless quiches?

> I'll have to look in the cookbook you sent me, Austrian Cooking and Baking,
> to see if quiches are mentioned. I don't remember quiche without cheese.
>
> Jill

Gee, I don't think you will find it in an Austrian Cook Book. This was
a typically French dish and mostly made as tiny tartlets as hors
d'oeuvres or as an appetizer in a slightly larger pastry.

Austrians didn't go in for such dainty fare, using noodles and dumplings
instead. I bet that Schwarzenegger heard of Quiches when he lived in
Graz. )

Didn't I send you another cook book, too? It may very well be in there.
Dave Smith

jmcquown wrote:

> My favorite quiche recipe calls for spinach and crumbled feta. I don't have
> any feta cheese. So here's the quiche question of the day: What other
> cheese to use?
> I have fontina, gruyere, herbed brie and baby swiss.
> Which one would you use with spinach?

Given that choice, I would use the gruyere.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> My favorite quiche recipe calls for spinach and crumbled feta. I don't
> have
> any feta cheese. So here's the quiche question of the day: What other
> cheese to use?
> I have fontina, gruyere, herbed brie and baby swiss.
> Which one would you use with spinach?
>
> Jill

Swiss or gruyere.
--
-Barb
State Fair prizewinning jams and jellies for sale at the Burnsville
PaulaGarlic

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > My favorite quiche recipe calls for spinach and crumbled feta. I don't

have
> > any feta cheese. So here's the quiche question of the day: What other
> > cheese to use?
> > I have fontina, gruyere, herbed brie and baby swiss.
> > Which one would you use with spinach?
> >

> Given that choice, I would use the gruyere.

Agreed. I rarely make quiche, but my favorite recipe (it's a garlic quiche)
just uses gruyere. And it's quite good. And rich.

Paula

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>

>>My favorite quiche recipe calls for spinach and crumbled feta. I don't
>>have
>>any feta cheese. So here's the quiche question of the day: What other
>>cheese to use?
>>I have fontina, gruyere, herbed brie and baby swiss.
>>Which one would you use with spinach?
>>
>>Jill
>>

> Swiss or gruyere.

Swiss *and* gruyere.

Bob

jmcquown

Margaret Suran wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Margaret Suran wrote:

>>> BTW, quiches were traditionally made without cheeses, just cream and
>>> crumbled bacon. That was so long ago, I no longer can find the
>>> recipe.
>>> Does anybody remember cheeseless quiches?

>> I'll have to look in the cookbook you sent me, Austrian Cooking and
>> Baking, to see if quiches are mentioned. I don't remember quiche
>> without cheese.
>>
>> Jill

> Gee, I don't think you will find it in an Austrian Cook Book. This
> was
> a typically French dish and mostly made as tiny tartlets as hors
> d'oeuvres or as an appetizer in a slightly larger pastry.
>
> Austrians didn't go in for such dainty fare, using noodles and
> dumplings instead. I bet that Schwarzenegger heard of Quiches when
> he lived in
> Graz. )
>
> Didn't I send you another cook book, too? It may very well be in
> there.

You sent me that one, then several signed cookbooks. I think Julia mentions
quiche but I'm not sure. She makes me want an omelet or a spinach souffle,
anyway

Jill

Curly Sue

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:26:37 -0500, Margaret Suran >
wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> My favorite quiche recipe calls for spinach and crumbled feta. I don't have
>> any feta cheese. So here's the quiche question of the day: What other
>> cheese to use?
>> I have fontina, gruyere, herbed brie and baby swiss.
>> Which one would you use with spinach?
>>
>> Jill

>I have never used any other cheese than a good imported Swiss cheese for
>making quiches, but I have never tried to make one with spinach.
>
>BTW, quiches were traditionally made without cheeses, just cream and
>crumbled bacon. That was so long ago, I no longer can find the recipe.
>Does anybody remember cheeseless quiches?

What you described is Quiche Lorraine.

Somewhere packed away from my last move, I have Peter Kump's Quiche &
??? cookbook with lots of wonderful quiches. One of my favorites is
the carmelized onion quiche.

I really need to get another bookcase and unpack more books!

Sue(tm)

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Swiss or gruyere.

> Swiss *and* gruyere.
>
> Bob

Well, OKAY!!! Sheesh!
--
-Barb
State Fair prizewinning jams and jellies for sale at the Burnsville
Senior Citizens Bake Sale, November 19, 2003; 9:00 a.m. -6:00 p.m.
Diamondhead Education Center, Burnsville Parkway & Nicollet Aves,
Burnsville. 952-707-4120
Victor Sack

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> BTW, quiches were traditionally made without cheeses, just cream and
> crumbled bacon. That was so long ago, I no longer can find the recipe.
> Does anybody remember cheeseless quiches?

Here is an old-fashioned but still very much alive Quiche Lorraine
recipe, as presented by Edouard de Pomiane (in Cooking with Pomiane).

Victor

Quiche Lorraine

Quiche Lorraine is a wonderful dish which is usually served as a
first course, but when you have eaten a large slice you will not want to
eat anything else - for 10 minutes at least. I will describe in a
moment the cream which is used to fill the quiche. At this stage you
will need:

4 ozs lean bacon, 4 ozs ham, 6 ozs flour, 3 ozs butter.

While the bacon is cooking, put the flour, butter, 3 pinches of salt
and a little water into a bowl and make a pastry, mixing with your
finger tips. At first the paste will stick to your fingers, then it
becomes drier and more elastic and comes away from the bowl. Leave it
to rest while you prepare the cream for the filling.

A good 1/4 pint milk, 1/4 pint thick cream, 2 yolks of egg, 1
whole egg, 1 heaping tablespoon flour.

Break the egg into a bowl, add the flour and the egg yolks and beat
them with a wire whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the cream and
beat, and then the milk. You will have a smooth, fairly thin mixture.
Season with a good pinch of salt and plenty of freshly-milled pepper.
Beat again and the cream is ready.
The short crust, the bacon and the cream are prepared. Now you need
nothing else but your culinary skill.
Roll the pastry thinly and line a large, buttered flan ring. Arrange
the strips of bacon and ham in the bottom, pour the cream over them and
put the quiche into a very hot oven. (450°F, Gas 8).
After 15 minutes peep into the oven. The edge of the quiche is just
beginning to brown. Ten minutes later and the cream is rising to fill
the mould and turning golden-brown. Five minutes more and you can test
it with the point of a knife. If it does not stick to the knife the
quiche is ready. Lift it from the mould and carry it straight to the
table. Follow each mouthful of quiche with a mouthful of hot bouillon
and a sip of very cold white wine.
jmcquown

Victor Sack wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>
>> BTW, quiches were traditionally made without cheeses, just cream and
>> crumbled bacon. That was so long ago, I no longer can find the
>> recipe. Does anybody remember cheeseless quiches?

> Here is an old-fashioned but still very much alive Quiche Lorraine
> recipe, as presented by Edouard de Pomiane (in Cooking with Pomiane).
>
> Victor
>
> Quiche Lorraine
>
> Quiche Lorraine is a wonderful dish which is usually served as a
> first course, but when you have eaten a large slice you will not want
> to eat anything else - for 10 minutes at least. I will describe in a
> moment the cream which is used to fill the quiche. At this stage you
> will need:
>
> 4 ozs lean bacon, 4 ozs ham, 6 ozs flour, 3 ozs butter.
>
> While the bacon is cooking, put the flour, butter, 3 pinches of
> salt and a little water into a bowl and make a pastry, mixing with
> your finger tips. At first the paste will stick to your fingers,
> then it becomes drier and more elastic and comes away from the bowl.
> Leave it to rest while you prepare the cream for the filling.
>
> A good 1/4 pint milk, 1/4 pint thick cream, 2 yolks of egg, 1
> whole egg, 1 heaping tablespoon flour.
>
> Break the egg into a bowl, add the flour and the egg yolks and beat
> them with a wire whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the cream and
> beat, and then the milk. You will have a smooth, fairly thin mixture.
> Season with a good pinch of salt and plenty of freshly-milled pepper.
> Beat again and the cream is ready.
> The short crust, the bacon and the cream are prepared. Now you
> need nothing else but your culinary skill.
> Roll the pastry thinly and line a large, buttered flan ring.
> Arrange the strips of bacon and ham in the bottom, pour the cream
> over them and put the quiche into a very hot oven. (450°F, Gas 8).
> After 15 minutes peep into the oven. The edge of the quiche is
> just beginning to brown. Ten minutes later and the cream is rising
> to fill the mould and turning golden-brown. Five minutes more and
> you can test it with the point of a knife. If it does not stick to
> the knife the quiche is ready. Lift it from the mould and carry it
> straight to the table. Follow each mouthful of quiche with a
> mouthful of hot bouillon and a sip of very cold white wine.

I'm guessing a nice cold crisp Reisling?

Jill (who isn't that ignorant about wine LOL)

Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:

> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>
> > BTW, quiches were traditionally made without cheeses, just cream and
> > crumbled bacon. That was so long ago, I no longer can find the recipe.
> > Does anybody remember cheeseless quiches?

> Here is an old-fashioned but still very much alive Quiche Lorraine
> recipe, as presented by Edouard de Pomiane (in Cooking with Pomiane).
>
> Victor
>
> Quiche Lorraine
>
> Quiche Lorraine is a wonderful dish which is usually served as a
> first course, but when you have eaten a large slice you will not want to
> eat anything else - for 10 minutes at least. I will describe in a
> moment the cream which is used to fill the quiche. At this stage you
> will need:
>
> 4 ozs lean bacon, 4 ozs ham, 6 ozs flour, 3 ozs butter.
>
> While the bacon is cooking, put the flour, butter, 3 pinches of salt
> and a little water into a bowl and make a pastry, mixing with your
> finger tips. At first the paste will stick to your fingers, then it
> becomes drier and more elastic and comes away from the bowl. Leave it
> to rest while you prepare the cream for the filling.
>
> A good 1/4 pint milk, 1/4 pint thick cream, 2 yolks of egg, 1
> whole egg, 1 heaping tablespoon flour.
>
> Break the egg into a bowl, add the flour and the egg yolks and beat
> them with a wire whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the cream and
> beat, and then the milk. You will have a smooth, fairly thin mixture.
> Season with a good pinch of salt and plenty of freshly-milled pepper.
> Beat again and the cream is ready.
> The short crust, the bacon and the cream are prepared. Now you need
> nothing else but your culinary skill.
> Roll the pastry thinly and line a large, buttered flan ring. Arrange
> the strips of bacon and ham in the bottom, pour the cream over them and
> put the quiche into a very hot oven. (450°F, Gas 8).
> After 15 minutes peep into the oven. The edge of the quiche is just
> beginning to brown. Ten minutes later and the cream is rising to fill
> the mould and turning golden-brown. Five minutes more and you can test
> it with the point of a knife. If it does not stick to the knife the
> quiche is ready. Lift it from the mould and carry it straight to the
> table. Follow each mouthful of quiche with a mouthful of hot bouillon
> and a sip of very cold white wine.

Thank you, this is something like I used to make. I did not use ham,
just very crispy bacon and I crumbled when it was ready for the quiche.

Did you ever work with this kind of dough? It's a real son of a .....
and I would end up with half of it in my hair and the other half on my
clothes. ) At times I would give up and make a sort of pie crust,
with butter, of course. Then I moved into this neighborhood and there
were the most wonderful French pastry shops with the kinds of Quiche
Lorraine that I could not ever hope to make. They were Elysee, Dumas
and Bonte, one better than the next. Not one is left now, the last one
closed about five years ago or even before that. Now I amy try my hand
at it again. Thank you for the recipe. M.S.

Can these quiches be frozen, either after preparing them for the oven or
after having baked them?
jmcquown

Margaret Suran wrote:
> [...]

> Thank you, this is something like I used to make. I did not use ham,
> just very crispy bacon and I crumbled when it was ready for the
> quiche.
>
> Did you ever work with this kind of dough? It's a real son of a .....
> and I would end up with half of it in my hair and the other half on my
> clothes. ) At times I would give up and make a sort of pie crust,
> with butter, of course. Then I moved into this neighborhood and there
> were the most wonderful French pastry shops with the kinds of Quiche
> Lorraine that I could not ever hope to make. They were Elysee, Dumas
> and Bonte, one better than the next. Not one is left now, the last
> one closed about five years ago or even before that. Now I amy try
> my hand
> at it again. Thank you for the recipe. M.S.
>
> Can these quiches be frozen, either after preparing them for the oven

Quiches freeze very well, Margaret. And I've made Quiche Lorraine but
didn't think of it when you asked about cheeseless quiche.

Now about getting that dough in your hair... uh... you aren't supposed to
run your fingers through your hair when you are handling dough. <G>

Jill

Margaret Suran

jmcquown wrote:

> > Can these quiches be frozen, either after preparing them for the oven
> > or after having baked them?

> Quiches freeze very well, Margaret. And I've made Quiche Lorraine but
> didn't think of it when you asked about cheeseless quiche.
>
> Now about getting that dough in your hair... uh... you aren't supposed to
> run your fingers through your hair when you are handling dough. <G>
>
> Jill

I would be so exasperated, I would try to tear my hair out. Then I
would try to wipe my hands and my hair on my clothes. When all the
dough was used up in that manner, I would make the pie dough instead.
) After washing my hands.
PENMART01

In article >, Margaret Suran > writes:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> My favorite quiche recipe calls for spinach and crumbled feta. I don't

>have
>> any feta cheese. So here's the quiche question of the day: What other
>> cheese to use?
>> I have fontina, gruyere, herbed brie and baby swiss.
>> Which one would you use with spinach?
>>
>> Jill

>I have never used any other cheese than a good imported Swiss cheese for
>making quiches, but I have never tried to make one with spinach.
>
>BTW, quiches were traditionally made without cheeses, just cream and
>crumbled bacon. That was so long ago, I no longer can find the recipe.
>Does anybody remember cheeseless quiches?

Yes. Quiche is a rich custard filled pastry shell, usually with vegetables or
cured meat bits, my fav is with caramelized onions. I don't consider one with
any cheese a true quiche - more a fercocktah pizza - a quiche with feta sounds
FEHta, disgusting! Blech! Gack! Vomit!

quiche [KEESH]
This dish originated in northeastern France in the region of Alsace-Lorraine.
It consists of a pastry shell filled with a savory custard made of eggs, cream,
seasonings and various other ingredients such as onions, mushrooms, ham,
shellfish or herbs. The most notable of these savory pies is the quiche
Lorraine, which has crisp bacon bits (and sometimes gruyere cheese) added to
the custard filling. Quiches can be served as a lunch or dinner entrée, or as a
first course or HORS D'OEUVRE.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

sf

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:51:16 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > My favorite quiche recipe calls for spinach and crumbled feta. I don't have
> > any feta cheese. So here's the quiche question of the day: What other
> > cheese to use?
> > I have fontina, gruyere, herbed brie and baby swiss.
> >

> Given that choice, I would use the gruyere.

I like more than one cheese in my quiche, so I'd use the
fontina & gruyere... not sure what baby swiss is, but I'd
probably put it in too.

However, I'm a HUGE fan of Jarlesberg and would make a
special trip just to get a small piece to add - just because
my quiche doesn't taste quite right if it's not there.

> > Which one would you use with spinach?

Spinach goes with everything, except the brie.

Hey, I just thought of this: roll out rounds of canned
bisquit dough. Cut off pieces of the brie and enclose them
in the dough. Brush with egg and bake. Serve as individual
appetisers.

If you ever try it, tell me if it worked or not.
sf

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:43:31 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> n article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > > Swiss or gruyere.

> > Swiss *and* gruyere.
> >
> > Bob

> Well, OKAY!!! Sheesh!
> --
> -Barb

Isn't gruyere Swiss?
It's redundant!

<ducking and running>

sf

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:56:25 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> I'm guessing a nice cold crisp Reisling?
>
> Jill (who isn't that ignorant about wine LOL)

Only if it's dry and even then I'd say no! Try Pinot Gris,
Gewürztraminer or a (not oaky) Chardonnay.

Dave Smith

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:51:16 -0500, Dave Smith
>
> > Given that choice, I would use the gruyere.
> >

> I like more than one cheese in my quiche, so I'd use the
> fontina & gruyere... not sure what baby swiss is, but I'd
> probably put it in too.

The one and only time I had Quiche Lorraine in the Lorraine region of France it was
made with Gruyere.

> Hey, I just thought of this: roll out rounds of canned
> bisquit dough. Cut off pieces of the brie and enclose them
> in the dough. Brush with egg and bake. Serve as individual
> appetisers.

I have had deep fried Camembert <sp?> served with Strawberry jam. It was delicious.

Sheryl Rosen

in article , Curly Sue at
wrote on 11/16/03 5:44 PM:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:44:14 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> > wrote:
>
>> in article
, Curly Sue at

wrote on 11/16/03 4:21 PM:

>>> I really need to get another bookcase and unpack more books!
>>>
>>> Sue(tm)
>>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>> Ohh Ohhh Ohh!
>> Staples has some lovely mission-style bookcases with a mantle top, in two
>> colors, oak and sonoma cherry, which is dark and reddish-brown. I bought 2
>> of them for my living room.
>>
>> They are very attractive, real wood (not particle board/laminate stuff) and
>> about $40-50, depending on the height. Only thing is, you have to put them
>> together. I had a friend do it for me, but only because he offered. I could
>> have done it myself.

> Thanks Sheryl. I looked on the Staples website but didn't find
> anything in that price range. Maybe they only have them in stores, or
> was it a sale? I don't mind putting them together and cherry stain is
> good. However I will now only buy bookcases with glass doors, either
> regular doors or barrister. Even with my trusty Swiffer and my
> Dustbuster, I want to avoid dusting books, bookshelves, and
> knick-knacks :>
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Well, they don't have doors, that's true...they are available in the stores
and online. Here's a link.

http://tinyurl.com/va4a

The brand is "Situations". They are on sale for $10 off reg price, which is
what I paid for them in June. I've been thinking about getting another, now
might be the time to do it.

They are really very, very attractive. They come in "natural" and "sonoma
cherry". The natural is rather plain, but the cherry is warm, rich and
nice. I think it would be nice in your house....they are kind of
old-fashioned looking, and my place was built in the 1930's, so they "fit".

zxcvbob

jmcquown wrote:

> I'm guessing a nice cold crisp Reisling?
>
> Jill (who isn't that ignorant about wine LOL)

Riesling.

Best regards, :-)
Bob

Frogleg

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:31:05 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Margaret Suran wrote:

>> BTW, quiches were traditionally made without cheeses, just cream and
>> crumbled bacon. That was so long ago, I no longer can find the
>> recipe.
>> Does anybody remember cheeseless quiches?

>I'll have to look in the cookbook you sent me, Austrian Cooking and Baking,
>to see if quiches are mentioned. I don't remember quiche without cheese.

"Quiche" is a custard tart -- eggs, milk/cream, and seasonings. To
this can be added all sorts of things -- cooked veg, shellfish, ham,
cheese, etc. The most 'famous' version is Quiche Lorraine, which
includes crisp bacon bits (NOT Bakos!) and, sometimes, Gruyere cheese.
Dear Julia has pages of recipes, incl. a savory tomato, olive and
anchovie version with no milk or cream at all.
Carmen Dioxide

Margaret Suran > wrote
> BTW, quiches were traditionally made without cheeses, just cream and
> crumbled bacon. That was so long ago, I no longer can find the recipe.
> Does anybody remember cheeseless quiches?

The basic bare bones is just the custard filling. Use Julia's method
he http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/juliachildsquic.html then you
add whatever you like in it.

sf

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:39:33 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > Hey, I just thought of this: roll out rounds of canned
> > bisquit dough. Cut off pieces of the brie and enclose them
> > in the dough. Brush with egg and bake. Serve as individual
> > appetisers.

> I have had deep fried Camembert <sp?> served with Strawberry jam. It was delicious.

It certainly does!

That is -
It does after I got over misreading it as calamari.
:-)))

Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:39:33 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>
>> > Hey, I just thought of this: roll out rounds of canned
>> > bisquit dough. Cut off pieces of the brie and enclose them
>> > in the dough. Brush with egg and bake. Serve as individual
>> > appetisers.

It's even better if you frozen puff pastry instead of the biscuits.