Kenneth Leja

Default Chipotle Mexican chain good?

by the way, how do you pronounce chipotle?
Siobhan Perricone

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:45:39 -0600, sd > wrote:

> (Taco Bell, Taco Grande, Taco Tico, Taco John's,...)

*sniff* You made me all nostalgic. Are you from the Midwest? I've never
seen a Taco Tico or Taco John's outside of Iowa. I worked at a Taco
Tico fresh from high school for a while. And I remember how shocked I was
to find out that the spice they used on Taco John's potato oles was just
Lawry's seasoned salt. Didn't make them any less tasty though.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"
Jack Schidt®

"Kenneth Leja" > wrote in message
om...
> by the way, how do you pronounce chipotle?

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

This is a great link because there is an audio pronunciation featured with
each word. One can be well read and still not know the correct
pronunciation of certain words. Myself, I miss out on using some great
words in speaking because I'm unsure of their pronunciation.

As for the Chipotle chain, it's my opinion that one can wander through life
and presume that all chain restaurants suck and not miss out on great food.

Jack Webster

Frogleg

On 14 Nov 2003 00:32:04 -0800, (Kenneth Leja)
wrote:

>by the way, how do you pronounce chipotle?

chih-POTE-lay although I rather like the spelling/pronunciation
variation that makes it come out chih-POT-el (chipotel).

tai fu

"Kenneth Leja" > wrote in message
om...
> by the way, how do you pronounce chipotle?

I had their burito once, best one I ever had....

now all I need is some recipe for burito...

Sanjay Thomas

I find myself craving some Taco John's from time to time, and try to stop in
every time I'm in Minnesota, because that's the only place I've ever seen
one.

Sanjay

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:45:39 -0600, sd > wrote:
>
> > (Taco Bell, Taco Grande, Taco Tico, Taco John's,...)

> *sniff* You made me all nostalgic. Are you from the Midwest? I've never
> seen a Taco Tico or Taco John's outside of Iowa. I worked at a Taco
> Tico fresh from high school for a while. And I remember how shocked I was
> to find out that the spice they used on Taco John's potato oles was just
> Lawry's seasoned salt. Didn't make them any less tasty though.
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone
> "Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the

human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"
> - www.theonion.com

Bob Myers

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message

> *sniff* You made me all nostalgic. Are you from the Midwest? I've never
> seen a Taco Tico or Taco John's outside of Iowa. I worked at a Taco
> Tico fresh from high school for a while. And I remember how shocked I was
> to find out that the spice they used on Taco John's potato oles was just
> Lawry's seasoned salt. Didn't make them any less tasty though.

Taco John's is in Colorado, at least. A step up from Taco Bell
(of course, just about anything would be)...

Bob M.

Snowfeet1

I live in Dallas and we have several of them. The food is very good - they
prepare everything to order - they'll also give you a sample of anything. The
Barbacoa is great - spicey shredded beef - I get it in crispy tacos.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Siobhan
Perricone > wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:45:39 -0600, sd > wrote:
>
> > (Taco Bell, Taco Grande, Taco Tico, Taco John's,...)

> *sniff* You made me all nostalgic. Are you from the Midwest? I've never
> seen a Taco Tico or Taco John's outside of Iowa.

Burnsville, MN has one. Maybe two.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Bookwyrm

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, Siobhan
> Perricone > wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:45:39 -0600, sd > wrote:
>>

>>>(Taco Bell, Taco Grande, Taco Tico, Taco John's,...)

>>*sniff* You made me all nostalgic. Are you from the Midwest? I've never
>>seen a Taco Tico or Taco John's outside of Iowa.

> Burnsville, MN has one. Maybe two.

Taco John's in New Hope, MN.

Mark Shaw

In article >,
Richard Kaszeta > wrote:
(Kenneth Leja) writes:
>> by the way, how do you pronounce chipotle?

>Chee-poat-lay.

Several people have claimed this, and it's just not correct.
The final syllable rhymes with "sled," not "day" -- or at
least that's as close as you can come in English.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"How can any culture that has more lawyers

jammer

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:03:49 -0500, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:45:39 -0600, sd > wrote:
>
>> (Taco Bell, Taco Grande, Taco Tico, Taco John's,...)

>*sniff* You made me all nostalgic. Are you from the Midwest? I've never
>seen a Taco Tico or Taco John's outside of Iowa. I worked at a Taco
>Tico fresh from high school for a while. And I remember how shocked I was
>to find out that the spice they used on Taco John's potato oles was just
>Lawry's seasoned salt. Didn't make them any less tasty though.

I used to drive a long ways to Pawhuska, Okla for Taco Tico. I miss
that.

sd

In article >,
Siobhan Perricone > wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:45:39 -0600, sd > wrote:
>
> > (Taco Bell, Taco Grande, Taco Tico, Taco John's,...)

> *sniff* You made me all nostalgic. Are you from the Midwest? I've never
> seen a Taco Tico or Taco John's outside of Iowa.

Not originally. But I went to college out here and now I live a few
miles north of Barb (!).

There are several Taco John's here in the Twin Cities. There apparently
are some in the state of Wyoming, too (radio commercial a few years back
recited the story of John, who apparently started his first store there.

sd
who actually ate at a taqueria in Minneapolis today that was difficult
to navigate in English, and ate better than he _ever_ ate at a Chipotle.
Blair P. Houghton

No.

Kenneth Leja > wrote:
>by the way, how do you pronounce chipotle?

_
Ch&-PO-tlay.

(& is a schwa, and _ is a diacritical over the "O", for
those of you using column-munging newsreaders)

--Blair
"And this is probably in the wrong
place, as well..."

P.S. The funniest version Jack says is "chipatopali".
Blair P. Houghton

Sanjay Thomas > wrote:
>I find myself craving some Taco John's from time to time, and try to stop in
>every time I'm in Minnesota, because that's the only place I've ever seen
>one.

Open your own.

http://www.worldfranchising.com/profiles/TacoJohn.htm

They're licensed in all 50 states, and already located in 29,
if I'm reading that right.

--Blair
"But please god WHY!?"
Blair P. Houghton

Snowfeet1 > wrote:
>I live in Dallas and we have several of them. The food is very good - they
>prepare everything to order - they'll also give you a sample of anything. The
>Barbacoa is great - spicey shredded beef - I get it in crispy tacos.

Um, digging a scoop of cooked ingredient out of a steam
tray is not "preparing to order".

--Blair
"Not in my stomach."

Sanjay Thomas

It was Brainerd (spelling?) Minnesota where I had Taco John's, ever.

Sanjay

"Bookwyrm" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, Siobhan
> > Perricone > wrote:

> >>*sniff* You made me all nostalgic. Are you from the Midwest? I've never
> >>seen a Taco Tico or Taco John's outside of Iowa.

> > Burnsville, MN has one. Maybe two.

> Taco John's in New Hope, MN.

Chris Lemon

"Kenneth Leja" > wrote in message
om
> by the way, how do you pronounce chipotle?

This made me laugh, as out here on the West Coast there was a Jack Inna Box
ad that dealt with mispronuncing "chipotle", going with such options as
"chi-pot-le-tay", "chippa-top-lee" and "chi-poodle"

--
Chris Lemon

http://fredsmythe.com
EFNet: FredSmyth

Greg P.

They just opened a Chipotle's up the street from me. I stopped in last
week to see how it was. I can't say that it was really good, but not
really bad either.

Menu's pretty limited. You can, as I recall, choose between a burrito
or tacos, or burrito ingredients in a bowl - sans the tortilla. Then
you can pick what kind of filling you want. Chicken, beef, pork - i
think, or vegetarian.

I ended up getting a chicken burrito. It was quick and cheap. I might
other mexican joints in the area.
Richard Kaszeta

Melba's Jammin' > writes:
> > My two Oaxacan colleagues beg to differ and claim chee-poat-lay and
> > that the Spaniards screwed up everyone's pronounciation... but then
> > again my linguistics friend insists we're all wrong and that the
> > "tle" is pronounced as a lateral affricate, like the 'll' in Welsh...

> What "ll" in Welsh?

Welsh is chock full of words with the "ll" consonant, like llyfr
(book), cyfaill (friend). Pronounced like an 'l', but you blow air
around your tongue without saying anything.

Welsh is a fun language.

ObCooking: Anyone have any good fondue recipies that aren't chocolate, caramel, cheese, or hot oil?

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

: I rather like their food. Chipotle Mexican Grill sustained me for
: most of my PhD at the University of Minnesota. I still miss their
: burritos, especially a chicken burrito with black beans and both hot
: and mild salsa.

Americans love bland food. Americans love big food. Americans love
Chipotle Mexican Grill because it gives them both.

I don't like their food because it _is_ so bland.