anna maria

Default meat tomato sauce

The traditional ragu’ is a very thick, rich, and tasty sauce that
requires about 3–4 hours of preparation. The meat-tomato sauce of this
recipe is full in taste, but takes less time to prepare, which makes it
practical for everyday, faster cooking.

This sauce, besides being the perfect complement for bolognese lasagna,
is also excellent as a dressing for pasta (e.g., spaghetti, fettuccine,
egg noodles, fresh pasta). Add the sauce to the freshly drained pasta,
top with grated parmigiano cheese, toss, and serve at once.

To add taste to the sauce, a mixture of different ground meats can be
used, such as half beef and half pork. The addition of milk helps reduce
the acidity of the tomatoes if they are not ripe enough.

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons (45 gr) butter
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
½ stick celery, finely diced
1 garlic clove, diced
½ lb (225 gr) ground meat
¼ cup (60 cc) dry white wine
salt and pepper
2½ cups (550 gr) tomatoes, puréed in a blender
pinch of nutmeg
2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream

Place oil and butter in a saucepan, and turn the heat to medium.
When the butter starts foaming, add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.
Sauté and stir until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add the ground meat.
Stir with a wooden spoon, and break the meat into small bits.
Cook until the meat is fully browned.
Add the wine, salt, and pepper. Turn the heat to high, and let the wine
evaporate.
Add the tomato, nutmeg, and milk. When the sauce starts boiling, turn
the heat to low.
Cover the saucepan and simmer slowly for about 1 hour, stirring
occasionally.

ciao, anna maria

This sauce is in the fresh pasta chapter of my book. And for the less
skilled i published step-by-step pics on my website.
I just updated my web-page
www.annamariavolpi.com
with more STEP-BY-STEP recipes.
Among them how to prepare fresh pasta. www.annamariavolpi.com/page28.html

Steve Calvin

anna maria wrote:

> The traditional ragu=92 is a very thick, rich, and tasty sauce that=20
> requires about 3=964 hours of preparation. The meat-tomato sauce of thi=

s=20
> recipe is full in taste, but takes less time to prepare, which makes it=

=20
> practical for everyday, faster cooking.
>=20
> This sauce, besides being the perfect complement for bolognese lasagna,=

=20
> is also excellent as a dressing for pasta (e.g., spaghetti, fettuccine,=

=20
> egg noodles, fresh pasta). Add the sauce to the freshly drained pasta, =

> top with grated parmigiano cheese, toss, and serve at once.
>=20

<recipe snipped>
Thanks anna maria. That sounds good and in our not to distant future=20
dinner plans.

Arri London

anna maria wrote:

> The traditional ragu’ is a very thick, rich, and tasty sauce that
> requires about 3–4 hours of preparation. The meat-tomato sauce of this
> recipe is full in taste, but takes less time to prepare, which makes it
> practical for everyday, faster cooking.
>
> This sauce, besides being the perfect complement for bolognese lasagna,
> is also excellent as a dressing for pasta (e.g., spaghetti, fettuccine,
> egg noodles, fresh pasta). Add the sauce to the freshly drained pasta,
> top with grated parmigiano cheese, toss, and serve at once.
>
> To add taste to the sauce, a mixture of different ground meats can be
> used, such as half beef and half pork. The addition of milk helps reduce
> the acidity of the tomatoes if they are not ripe enough.

Sounds about like what I was taught to make too! The addition of the
milk or cream is new to me; will try it next time.

> 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
> 3 tablespoons (45 gr) butter
> 1 medium onion, finely diced
> 1 carrot, finely diced
> ½ stick celery, finely diced
> 1 garlic clove, diced
> ½ lb (225 gr) ground meat
> ¼ cup (60 cc) dry white wine
> salt and pepper
> 2½ cups (550 gr) tomatoes, puréed in a blender
> pinch of nutmeg
> 2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
>
> Place oil and butter in a saucepan, and turn the heat to medium.
> When the butter starts foaming, add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.
> Sauté and stir until the onion is soft and translucent.
> Add the ground meat.
> Stir with a wooden spoon, and break the meat into small bits.
> Cook until the meat is fully browned.
> Add the wine, salt, and pepper. Turn the heat to high, and let the wine
> evaporate.
> Add the tomato, nutmeg, and milk. When the sauce starts boiling, turn
> the heat to low.
> Cover the saucepan and simmer slowly for about 1 hour, stirring
> occasionally.
>
> ciao, anna maria
>
> This sauce is in the fresh pasta chapter of my book. And for the less
> skilled i published step-by-step pics on my website.
> I just updated my web-page
> www.annamariavolpi.com
> with more STEP-BY-STEP recipes.
> Among them how to prepare fresh pasta. www.annamariavolpi.com/page28.html

Obie Cheuvront

This sounds delish. I was going to use my own marinara for tonight's
fetuccini, I think I'll try this instead. I'll write soon to let you know.

"anna maria" > wrote in message
> The traditional ragu’ is a very thick, rich, and tasty sauce that
> requires about 3–4 hours of preparation. The meat-tomato sauce of this
> recipe is full in taste, but takes less time to prepare, which makes it
> practical for everyday, faster cooking.
>
> This sauce, besides being the perfect complement for bolognese lasagna,
> is also excellent as a dressing for pasta (e.g., spaghetti, fettuccine,
> egg noodles, fresh pasta). Add the sauce to the freshly drained pasta,
> top with grated parmigiano cheese, toss, and serve at once.
>
> To add taste to the sauce, a mixture of different ground meats can be
> used, such as half beef and half pork. The addition of milk helps reduce
> the acidity of the tomatoes if they are not ripe enough.
>
> 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
> 3 tablespoons (45 gr) butter
> 1 medium onion, finely diced
> 1 carrot, finely diced
> ½ stick celery, finely diced
> 1 garlic clove, diced
> ½ lb (225 gr) ground meat
> ¼ cup (60 cc) dry white wine
> salt and pepper
> 2½ cups (550 gr) tomatoes, puréed in a blender
> pinch of nutmeg
> 2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
>
> Place oil and butter in a saucepan, and turn the heat to medium.
> When the butter starts foaming, add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.
> Sauté and stir until the onion is soft and translucent.
> Add the ground meat.
> Stir with a wooden spoon, and break the meat into small bits.
> Cook until the meat is fully browned.
> Add the wine, salt, and pepper. Turn the heat to high, and let the wine
> evaporate.
> Add the tomato, nutmeg, and milk. When the sauce starts boiling, turn
> the heat to low.
> Cover the saucepan and simmer slowly for about 1 hour, stirring
> occasionally.
>
> ciao, anna maria
>

> This sauce is in the fresh pasta chapter of my book. And for the less
> skilled i published step-by-step pics on my website.
> I just updated my web-page
> www.annamariavolpi.com
> with more STEP-BY-STEP recipes.
> Among them how to prepare fresh pasta. www.annamariavolpi.com/page28.html

anna maria

Arri London wrote:
> anna maria wrote:
>
>>The addition of milk helps reduce
>>the acidity of the tomatoes if they are not ripe enough.

> Sounds about like what I was taught to make too! The addition of the
> milk or cream is new to me; will try it next time.

it is a passage that very few use. many have been tought to add sugar to
the tomato to lowern the acidity, instead they end up having a
sugary-acidic tomato sauce. the milk or cream instead does the trick.

ciao, anna maria

www.annamariavolpi.com

Arri London

anna maria wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> > anna maria wrote:
> >
> >>The addition of milk helps reduce
> >>the acidity of the tomatoes if they are not ripe enough.

> > Sounds about like what I was taught to make too! The addition of the
> > milk or cream is new to me; will try it next time.
> >

> it is a passage that very few use. many have been tought to add sugar to
> the tomato to lowern the acidity, instead they end up having a
> sugary-acidic tomato sauce. the milk or cream instead does the trick.
>
> ciao, anna maria
>
> www.annamariavolpi.com

Makes sense. Sugar in tomato sauce sounds revolting anyway.