Sam D.

Default Heritage Turkey for Thanksgiving?

Is anyone planning on cooking a bronze turkey or other heritage type turkey
this Thanksgiving?

I'll have to settle for a regular turkey this time. Not enough advance
planning and $$$$ this time. A heritage turkey is now priced about 15-20
times more than a standard supermarket turkey and must be ordered months in
advance.

I used to live next to the Shelton Turkey Ranch which at that time produced
only bronze turkeys. Those were wonderful tasting birds. But Shelton, like
nearly all other poultry farms, doesn't raise them anymore.

sd

In article >,
"Sam D." > wrote:

> I'll have to settle for a regular turkey this time. Not enough advance
> planning and $$$$ this time. A heritage turkey is now priced about 15-20
> times more than a standard supermarket turkey and must be ordered months in
> advance.

One alternative might be an organic, free-range turkey. They're more
expensive than the 39-cent-a-pound "pavement busters"[*] most
supermarkets sell around this time of year, but much tastier. At least I
think so. That's what I'm doing this year, as I have in some
Thanksgivings past. Check your local food co-op or Whole-Foods-type
market.

sd

* http://www.super70s.com/Super70s/TV/...Cincinnati.asp