Glenn Jacobs

Default Pasta at High Altitude

I live at 9700 feet above seal level. Because of the altitude water boils
at a lower temperature and Pasta cooks much more slowly. De Cecco spagetti
recommends 12 minutes cooking time in their directions. It actually takes
about 18 or 19 minutes and I can not get the same sharp "al dente" point
that you get at lower altitude. With the larger pastas like Linguini and
fetticini I get better results. Water boils here somewhere arround 195
degrees F.

I suspect it was of those "you have to live with it" sort of things, but I
thought that I would ask for suggestions any way.

JakeInHartsel
Isaac Wingfield

In article > ,
BubbaBob > wrote:

> Glenn Jacobs > wrote:
>
> > I live at 9700 feet above seal level. Because of the altitude
> > water boils at a lower temperature and Pasta cooks much more
> > slowly. De Cecco spagetti recommends 12 minutes cooking time in
> > their directions. It actually takes about 18 or 19 minutes and
> > I can not get the same sharp "al dente" point that you get at
> > lower altitude. With the larger pastas like Linguini and
> > fetticini I get better results. Water boils here somewhere
> > arround 195 degrees F.
> >
> > I suspect it was of those "you have to live with it" sort of
> > things, but I thought that I would ask for suggestions any way.
> >
> > JakeInHartsel
> >

> Try using a pressure cooker. Preferably one with high and low
> settings. Use the low. You'll mess up a few batches until you get the
> timing worked out. Then it should work like a charm.

Watch out for foam. I know a story about rice in a pressure cooker and a
blob on the ceiling...

Isaac
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:40:37 -0600, BubbaBob wrote:

> Glenn Jacobs > wrote:

>> I live at 9700 feet above seal level. Because of the altitude
>> water boils at a lower temperature and Pasta cooks much more
>> slowly. De Cecco spagetti recommends 12 minutes cooking time in
>> their directions. It actually takes about 18 or 19 minutes and
>> I can not get the same sharp "al dente" point that you get at
>> lower altitude. With the larger pastas like Linguini and
>> fetticini I get better results. Water boils here somewhere
>> arround 195 degrees F.

>> I suspect it was of those "you have to live with it" sort of
>> things, but I thought that I would ask for suggestions any way.

>> JakeInHartsel

> Try using a pressure cooker. Preferably one with high and low
> settings. Use the low. You'll mess up a few batches until you get the
> timing worked out. Then it should work like a charm.

I've never done pasta, but I've done rice a few times in a presure cooker.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.