Steve Calvin

Default Pre-ground coffee

Well the grinder finally died on our coffee maker. So, out I go last
night and picked up a can of pre ground Max. House for this mornings
coffee. BLECH...

A stop at the store is in plan after work for a separate grinder. I'd
forgotten how putrid pre ground was until I tasted it this morning. That
crap went down the drain!

Mia

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Well the grinder finally died on our coffee maker. So, out I go last
> night and picked up a can of pre ground Max. House for this mornings
> coffee. BLECH...
>
> A stop at the store is in plan after work for a separate grinder. I'd
> forgotten how putrid pre ground was until I tasted it this morning. That
> crap went down the drain!

You poor thing! I keep a stash of my own ground coffee in the pantry in case
of an emergency (if the elec. goes out and I need coffee, for example ... or
if the grinder were to break ). When I visit my mom, she uses the
store-bought ground stuff and it takes all I've got to drink it without
making a face.
We're coffee snobs, you know....btw, have you tried Peets Major Dickasons
beans?

Best,
Mia

Bean

Steve Calvin > wrote in news:botel9$1i02bd$1@ID-
156610.news.uni-berlin.de:

> A stop at the store is in plan after work for a separate grinder. I'd
> forgotten how putrid pre ground was until I tasted it this morning. That
> crap went down the drain!

I think you need to qualify that. Pre-ground coffee is just fine -- IF --
you are buying a quality coffee. If by pre-ground, you actually mean
"mainstream" like Folgers, Maxwell House, etc., then I don't think it's the
pre-ground that makes it taste bad. It would taste badly if you ground it
yourself seconds before brewing

I buy coffee from a local roaster. They sell it in the grocery store whole
bean, or, pre-ground in vacum packed canisters. The pre-ground is every bit
as good as the whole bean. It's ground finely & consistently - better than
the grocery store grinder will do.

My guess is you can find coffee in this category in most towns. Bottom line
- don't rule out pre-ground. Just buy a quality pre-ground. I would guess
that most coffe drinkers couldn't tell the difference between fresh, pre-
ground quality coffee, and the coffee made from the same beans, ground just
before brewing. I can't at least.

Not Available

Maxwell House Coffee filter packs taste pretty good for a pre ground.
The secret is to use a spoon with sausage grease on it to stir your
coffee.

You might think I'm kidding... but I'm as serious as a kidney stone.

Glenn Jacobs

> You poor thing! I keep a stash of my own ground coffee in the pantry in case
> of an emergency (if the elec. goes out and I need coffee, for example ... or
> if the grinder were to break ). When I visit my mom, she uses the
> store-bought ground stuff and it takes all I've got to drink it without
> making a face.
> We're coffee snobs, you know....btw, have you tried Peets Major Dickasons
> beans?
>
> Best,
> Mia

And I keep a spare grinder in case of an emergency.

Jake

Steve Calvin

Mia wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>>Well the grinder finally died on our coffee maker. So, out I go last
>>night and picked up a can of pre ground Max. House for this mornings
>>coffee. BLECH...
>>
>>A stop at the store is in plan after work for a separate grinder. I'd
>>forgotten how putrid pre ground was until I tasted it this morning. That
>>crap went down the drain!
>>

> You poor thing! I keep a stash of my own ground coffee in the pantry in case
> of an emergency (if the elec. goes out and I need coffee, for example ... or
> if the grinder were to break ). When I visit my mom, she uses the
> store-bought ground stuff and it takes all I've got to drink it without
> making a face.
> We're coffee snobs, you know....btw, have you tried Peets Major Dickasons
> beans?
>
> Best,
> Mia

Mia,

Keeping a ground stash *will* happen from now on. I've never heard of
Peets Major Dickasos so no I haven't tried it. I'll have to see if they
carry it in these parts.

Smithfarms Pure Kona

>156610.news.uni-berlin.de:
>

>> A stop at the store is in plan after work for a separate grinder.

I'd
>> forgotten how putrid pre ground was until I tasted it this morning.

That
>> crap went down the drain!

>I think you need to qualify that. Pre-ground coffee is just fine --

IF --
>you are buying a quality coffee. If by pre-ground, you actually mean
>"mainstream" like Folgers, Maxwell House, etc., then I don't think

it's the
>pre-ground that makes it taste bad. It would taste badly if you

ground it
>yourself seconds before brewing
>
>I buy coffee from a local roaster. They sell it in the grocery store

whole
>bean, or, pre-ground in vacum packed canisters. The pre-ground is

every bit
>as good as the whole bean. It's ground finely & consistently - better

than
>the grocery store grinder will do.
>
>My guess is you can find coffee in this category in most towns.

Bottom line
>- don't rule out pre-ground. Just buy a quality pre-ground. I would

guess
>that most coffe drinkers couldn't tell the difference between fresh,

pre-
>ground quality coffee, and the coffee made from the same beans,

ground just
>before brewing. I can't at least.

For a $12 whirly blade grinder from Wally Mart, you can have fresh
ground and no matter what the general thought of this thread is/was,
there is a huge difference from buying preground (maybe ground 6
months or longer AGO) in a bag vs. getting fresh beans and grinding
them and then making your coffee. All those surfaces, if you grind
your own, are new and have not been exposed to anything. They have
been lying in the bean. Freshly ground makes a heck of a difference.
Promise.
aloha,
Thunder

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Bean

Smithfarms Pure Kona > wrote in
:

> On 12 Nov 2003 10:21:44 -0600, Bean > wrote:
>
>>Steve Calvin > wrote in

>>156610.news.uni-berlin.de:
>>

>>> A stop at the store is in plan after work for a separate grinder.

> I'd
>>> forgotten how putrid pre ground was until I tasted it this morning.

> That
>>> crap went down the drain!

>>I think you need to qualify that. Pre-ground coffee is just fine --

> IF --
>>you are buying a quality coffee. If by pre-ground, you actually mean
>>"mainstream" like Folgers, Maxwell House, etc., then I don't think

> it's the
>>pre-ground that makes it taste bad. It would taste badly if you

> ground it
>>yourself seconds before brewing
>>
>>I buy coffee from a local roaster. They sell it in the grocery store

> whole
>>bean, or, pre-ground in vacum packed canisters. The pre-ground is

> every bit
>>as good as the whole bean. It's ground finely & consistently - better

> than
>>the grocery store grinder will do.
>>
>>My guess is you can find coffee in this category in most towns.

> Bottom line
>>- don't rule out pre-ground. Just buy a quality pre-ground. I would

> guess
>>that most coffe drinkers couldn't tell the difference between fresh,

> pre-
>>ground quality coffee, and the coffee made from the same beans,

> ground just
>>before brewing. I can't at least.

> For a $12 whirly blade grinder from Wally Mart, you can have fresh
> ground and no matter what the general thought of this thread is/was,
> there is a huge difference from buying preground (maybe ground 6
> months or longer AGO) in a bag vs. getting fresh beans and grinding
> them and then making your coffee.

Not if you are buying pre-ground coffee from a local roaster than was
ground in the past week. Again, "pre-ground" is being catagorized as
meaning "mass produced coffee ground months ago." I was simply trying to
point out that this is not always the case.

I assure you that the local coffee I buy is excellent quality, whole bean
or pre-ground. I have compared both myself, and notice no difference.

I was just trying to point out that in most things in life, you cannot make
sweeping generalities.

Smithfarms Pure Kona

On 12 Nov 2003 14:11:43 -0600, Bean > wrote:

>Smithfarms Pure Kona > wrote in
:

>> On 12 Nov 2003 10:21:44 -0600, Bean > wrote:
>>
>>>Steve Calvin > wrote in

>>>156610.news.uni-berlin.de:

>> I'd

morning.
>> That
>>>

>>>I think you need to qualify that. Pre-ground coffee is just fine --

>> IF --
>>>you are buying a quality coffee. If by pre-ground, you actually

mean
>>>"mainstream" like Folgers, Maxwell House, etc., then I don't think

>> it's the
>>>pre-ground that makes it taste bad. It would taste badly if you

>> ground it
>>>yourself seconds before brewing
>>>
>>>I buy coffee from a local roaster. They sell it in the grocery

store
>> whole
>>>bean, or, pre-ground in vacum packed canisters. The pre-ground is

>> every bit
>>>as good as the whole bean. It's ground finely & consistently -

better
>> than
>>>the grocery store grinder will do.
>>>
>>>My guess is you can find coffee in this category in most towns.

>> Bottom line
>>>- don't rule out pre-ground. Just buy a quality pre-ground. I would

>> guess
>>>that most coffe drinkers couldn't tell the difference between

fresh,
>> pre-
>>>ground quality coffee, and the coffee made from the same beans,

>> ground just
>>>before brewing. I can't at least.

>> For a $12 whirly blade grinder from Wally Mart, you can have fresh
>> ground and no matter what the general thought of this thread

is/was,
>> there is a huge difference from buying preground (maybe ground 6
>> months or longer AGO) in a bag vs. getting fresh beans and grinding
>> them and then making your coffee.

>Not if you are buying pre-ground coffee from a local roaster than was
>ground in the past week. Again, "pre-ground" is being catagorized as
>meaning "mass produced coffee ground months ago." I was simply trying

>point out that this is not always the case.
>
>I assure you that the local coffee I buy is excellent quality, whole

bean
>or pre-ground. I have compared both myself, and notice no difference.
>
>I was just trying to point out that in most things in life, you

cannot make
>sweeping generalities.

You are correct. V. Fresh pre-ground is okay but I would daresay that
99.9% of the bought pre-ground coffee is the fab 4's brands and that
is pure junk. Anything freshly ground with a whirly blade is still
superior.
aloha,
Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
J.J. [aka j*ni]

Hark! I heard Bean > say:

<snip>

> I was just trying to point out that in most things in life, you cannot make
> sweeping generalities.

Unfortunately, that doesn't stop people from doing it anyway... :-(

--
J.J. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!

Steve Calvin

Bean wrote:
<snip>

>>For a $12 whirly blade grinder from Wally Mart, you can have fresh
>>ground and no matter what the general thought of this thread is/was,
>>there is a huge difference from buying preground (maybe ground 6
>>months or longer AGO) in a bag vs. getting fresh beans and grinding
>>them and then making your coffee.

> Not if you are buying pre-ground coffee from a local roaster than was
> ground in the past week. Again, "pre-ground" is being catagorized as
> meaning "mass produced coffee ground months ago." I was simply trying to
> point out that this is not always the case.
>
> I assure you that the local coffee I buy is excellent quality, whole bean
> or pre-ground. I have compared both myself, and notice no difference.
>
> I was just trying to point out that in most things in life, you cannot make
> sweeping generalities.

Ummmmm... if you actually go back and *read* my OP you'll see that I
specified that I bought Max. House. I don't see that as a sweeping
generality...

--
Steve

If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

Bean

Steve Calvin > wrote in
s.com:

> Ummmmm... if you actually go back and *read* my OP you'll see that I
> specified that I bought Max. House. I don't see that as a sweeping
> generality...

That's right Steve, and I was not addressing your post, but a reply to
it....
Steve Calvin

Bean wrote:

> Steve Calvin > wrote in
> s.com:
>

>>Ummmmm... if you actually go back and *read* my OP you'll see that I
>>specified that I bought Max. House. I don't see that as a sweeping
>>generality...
>>

> That's right Steve, and I was not addressing your post, but a reply to
> it....

Actually, no... you were replying to my original post. You just chose
to not include the part of my post that specified that I had bought
max house in your reply.

--
Steve

If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

Boron Elgar

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:41:25 GMT, Smithfarms Pure Kona
> wrote:

>For a $12 whirly blade grinder from Wally Mart, you can have fresh
>ground and no matter what the general thought of this thread is/was,
>there is a huge difference from buying preground (maybe ground 6
>months or longer AGO) in a bag vs. getting fresh beans and grinding
>them and then making your coffee. All those surfaces, if you grind
>your own, are new and have not been exposed to anything. They have
>been lying in the bean. Freshly ground makes a heck of a difference.
>Promise.
>aloha,
>Thunder
>
> http://www.smithfarms.com
> Farmers & Sellers of 100%
> Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

I can vouch for that, having opened a nice 5 lb bag of Kona last
week...Yum! You roasted on the 3rd & I got it in NJ on the 7th.

(along with some macadamias & a pound of honey.)

Boron
Wayne Boatwright

Steve Calvin > wrote in news:botel9$1i02bd$1@ID-
156610.news.uni-berlin.de:

> Well the grinder finally died on our coffee maker. So, out I go last
> night and picked up a can of pre ground Max. House for this mornings
> coffee. BLECH...
>
> A stop at the store is in plan after work for a separate grinder. I'd
> forgotten how putrid pre ground was until I tasted it this morning. That
> crap went down the drain!

How sad! Assuming you still had whole beans, couldn't you have used a
blender or FP in the emergency? I think I would have tried that first.

I have a Hobart commercial burr grinder which will probably never die, but
I extra coffee/spice grinder still in the box just in case.

Wayne

Steve Calvin

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> How sad! Assuming you still had whole beans, couldn't you have used a
> blender or FP in the emergency? I think I would have tried that first.
>
> I have a Hobart commercial burr grinder which will probably never die, but
> I extra coffee/spice grinder still in the box just in case.
>
> Wayne

Well... *duh*. I don't own a FP but have a blender. Just never thought
of it. Not an issue now. I stopped and bought 2 grinders so we have a
spare now.