Margaret Suran

Default Beet Lovers Treat - Not For Me, Thank You

From Today's N. Y. Times Food Section

Beets and Peppers for the Candy Dish

Eating your
vegetables has never been sweeter, at least since Fauchon
introduced pte de légumes, a new line of vegetable-based
confections. Like their cousins, pte de fruits (fruit
jellies), these jewel-toned, sugary squares have intense
flavors, but with beet, red pepper, fennel and carrot
replacing the usual passion fruit and black currant.
Imported from France, they are made using the same
technique as Fauchon's pte de fruits, substituting
vegetables that are naturally high in sugar. While beet,
with its magenta hue, is the most striking, the red pepper
is the eye-opener. Tangy, ripe and spicy, with a
dried-apricotlike vibrancy, it makes you wonder why red
peppers are not used more often in desserts. Pte de
légumes are $40 a pound at Fauchon, 442 Park Avenue (56th
Street), (212) 308-5919; 1000 Madison Avenue (77th Street),
(212) 570-2211; and 1383 Third Avenue (78th Street), (212)
517-9600.
Jack Schidt®

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> From Today's N. Y. Times Food Section
>
> Beets and Peppers for the Candy Dish
>
> Eating your
> vegetables has never been sweeter, at least since Fauchon
> introduced pte de légumes, a new line of vegetable-based
> confections. Like their cousins, pte de fruits (fruit
> jellies), these jewel-toned, sugary squares have intense
> flavors, but with beet, red pepper, fennel and carrot
> replacing the usual passion fruit and black currant.
> Imported from France, they are made using the same
> technique as Fauchon's pte de fruits, substituting
> vegetables that are naturally high in sugar. While beet,
> with its magenta hue, is the most striking, the red pepper
> is the eye-opener. Tangy, ripe and spicy, with a
> dried-apricotlike vibrancy, it makes you wonder why red
> peppers are not used more often in desserts. Pte de
> légumes are $40 a pound at Fauchon, 442 Park Avenue (56th
> Street), (212) 308-5919; 1000 Madison Avenue (77th Street),
> (212) 570-2211; and 1383 Third Avenue (78th Street), (212)
> 517-9600.

Thanks, I'll schtick mit pickled beets.

Jack Root

The Joneses

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> > From Today's N. Y. Times Food Section
> >
> > Beets and Peppers for the Candy Dish
> >
> > Eating your
> > vegetables has never been sweeter, at least since Fauchon
> > introduced pte de légumes, a new line of vegetable-based
> > confections. Like their cousins, pte de fruits (fruit
> > jellies), these jewel-toned, sugary squares have intense
> > flavors, but with beet, red pepper, fennel and carrot
> > replacing the usual passion fruit and black currant.

> Thanks, I'll schtick mit pickled beets.
>
> Jack Root

That's it - that's the deal. The new taste sensation to replace
chipotle - Beet! Beet and spinach chips. Beet dip. Red
dried beet sprinkles for stuff. Beet lasagna. Beet pizza dough.
Now I am vindicated.
Edrena

Jack Schidt®

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> "Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>
> > "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> > > From Today's N. Y. Times Food Section
> > >
> > > Beets and Peppers for the Candy Dish
> > >
> > > Eating your
> > > vegetables has never been sweeter, at least since Fauchon
> > > introduced pte de légumes, a new line of vegetable-based
> > > confections. Like their cousins, pte de fruits (fruit
> > > jellies), these jewel-toned, sugary squares have intense
> > > flavors, but with beet, red pepper, fennel and carrot
> > > replacing the usual passion fruit and black currant.

> > Thanks, I'll schtick mit pickled beets.
> >
> > Jack Root

> That's it - that's the deal. The new taste sensation to replace
> chipotle - Beet! Beet and spinach chips. Beet dip. Red
> dried beet sprinkles for stuff. Beet lasagna. Beet pizza dough.
> Now I am vindicated.
> Edrena

I wouldn't go THAT far.

Jack Limit

notbob

On 2003-11-12, The Joneses > wrote:

> That's it - that's the deal. The new taste sensation to replace
> chipotle...

I'll eat just about anything but chipotle!

> Beet! Beet and spinach chips...

Sounds good!

> Beet dip. Red
> dried beet sprinkles for stuff. Beet lasagna. Beet pizza dough.

Why not. Howzabout beet candy? Young beets are incredibly sweet.
Or, use sugar beets. I had a Mexican treat this weekend, a candy made
with sweet potatoes. Sinfully good.

nb

Melba's Jammin'

In article <fmssb.133597$ao4.422148@attbi_s51>, notbob
> wrote:

> > Beet dip. Red
> > dried beet sprinkles for stuff. Beet lasagna. Beet pizza dough.

> Why not. Howzabout beet candy? Young beets are incredibly sweet.
> Or, use sugar beets. I had a Mexican treat this weekend, a candy made
> with sweet potatoes. Sinfully good.
>
> nb

Candy made from sweet potatoes is one thing, nb. You can't make candy
from beets -- all you can make is cattle fodder! I know these things.
Gack!
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
notbob

On 2003-11-13, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Candy made from sweet potatoes is one thing, nb. You can't make candy
> from beets -- all you can make is cattle fodder! I know these things.
> Gack!

I can see we'll forever be at odds on this issue, Barb. That's OK. I
think I'll try and make some beet jelly next year.

nb
notbob

On 2003-11-13, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Candy made from sweet potatoes is one thing, nb. You can't make candy
> from beets -- all you can make is cattle fodder! I know these things.
> Gack!

Hey, I just thought of something. What kind of sugar do you use for
your jellies. Could it possibly be sugar made from sugar BEETS!!?

......Bwuaah-hah-hah-hah-hah

nb
Melba's Jammin'

In article <A6Usb.194051$Tr4.546857@attbi_s03>, notbob
> wrote:

> On 2003-11-13, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

> > Candy made from sweet potatoes is one thing, nb. You can't make candy
> > from beets -- all you can make is cattle fodder! I know these things.
> > Gack!

> Hey, I just thought of something. What kind of sugar do you use for
> your jellies. Could it possibly be sugar made from sugar BEETS!!?
>
> .....Bwuaah-hah-hah-hah-hah
>
> nb

Bwwaahhaahhaah yourself! <8*c) C&H, The Pure Cane Sugar From Hawaii.
:-P
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Melba's Jammin'

In article <Q3Usb.196186$e01.714752@attbi_s02>, notbob
> wrote:

> On 2003-11-13, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > Candy made from sweet potatoes is one thing, nb. You can't make candy
> > from beets -- all you can make is cattle fodder! I know these things.
> > Gack!

> I can see we'll forever be at odds on this issue, Barb. That's OK. I
> think I'll try and make some beet jelly next year.
>
> nb

I've posted the recipe. Find the raspberry Kool-Aid.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

alzelt

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <fmssb.133597$ao4.422148@attbi_s51>, notbob
> > wrote:
>

>>>Beet dip. Red
>>>dried beet sprinkles for stuff. Beet lasagna. Beet pizza dough.

>>Why not. Howzabout beet candy? Young beets are incredibly sweet.
>>Or, use sugar beets. I had a Mexican treat this weekend, a candy made
>>with sweet potatoes. Sinfully good.
>>
>>nb

> Candy made from sweet potatoes is one thing, nb. You can't make candy
> from beets -- all you can make is cattle fodder! I know these things.
> Gack!

Hey Barb,

These people will try any subterfuge known to man to get people to eat
that vile tasting stuff.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Jean B.

Margaret Suran wrote:

> From Today's N. Y. Times Food Section
>
> Beets and Peppers for the Candy Dish
>
> Eating your
> vegetables has never been sweeter, at least since Fauchon
> introduced pte de légumes, a new line of vegetable-based
> confections. Like their cousins, pte de fruits (fruit
> jellies), these jewel-toned, sugary squares have intense
> flavors, but with beet, red pepper, fennel and carrot
> replacing the usual passion fruit and black currant.
> Imported from France, they are made using the same
> technique as Fauchon's pte de fruits, substituting
> vegetables that are naturally high in sugar. While beet,
> with its magenta hue, is the most striking, the red pepper
> is the eye-opener. Tangy, ripe and spicy, with a
> dried-apricotlike vibrancy, it makes you wonder why red
> peppers are not used more often in desserts. Pte de
> légumes are $40 a pound at Fauchon, 442 Park Avenue (56th
> Street), (212) 308-5919; 1000 Madison Avenue (77th Street),
> (212) 570-2211; and 1383 Third Avenue (78th Street), (212)
> 517-9600.

OOoooh! The best part of this post for me is seeing that Fauchon
is in the United States. Someday I may find the cookies I used to
love when I lived in Japan.
--
Jean B.
Margaret Suran

"Jean B." wrote:

> OOoooh! The best part of this post for me is seeing that Fauchon
> is in the United States. Someday I may find the cookies I used to
> love when I lived in Japan.
> --
> Jean B.

There is a website for them