FoodBanter.com

-   -   Metallic Bowls (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/1934-metallic-bowls.html)

Russ 11-11-2003 12:00 AM

Metallic Bowls

I found a recipe today for venison jerky and it has you mix the ground
venison in a "NON Metallic bowl". What would happen if I use a
metallic bowl? I know that the metal has a chemical reaction of some
sort, but does that apply to all cooking or only certain foods? I've
been using a Metallic bowl and hadn't noticed any problems with the
recipe, but then i've never NOT used a metallic bowl to make it, so
maybe it would taste better???

Ribitt 11-11-2003 12:19 AM

Metallic Bowls

"Russ" > wrote in message
> I found a recipe today for venison jerky and it has you mix the ground
> venison in a "NON Metallic bowl". What would happen if I use a
> metallic bowl? I know that the metal has a chemical reaction of some
> sort, but does that apply to all cooking or only certain foods? I've
> been using a Metallic bowl and hadn't noticed any problems with the
> recipe, but then i've never NOT used a metallic bowl to make it, so
> maybe it would taste better???

Not sure about venison, but most recipes refer to a non-reactive bowl.
Reactive means aluminium or a variety of other metals. Marinades for jerky
have a high acid content

Stainless steel bowls have always worked for me. Made some beef jerky last
week as a matter of fact. Soy sauce, Worcester, all that good stuff.

Dimitri 11-11-2003 12:23 AM

Metallic Bowls

"Russ" > wrote in message
> I found a recipe today for venison jerky and it has you mix the ground
> venison in a "NON Metallic bowl". What would happen if I use a
> metallic bowl? I know that the metal has a chemical reaction of some
> sort, but does that apply to all cooking or only certain foods? I've
> been using a Metallic bowl and hadn't noticed any problems with the
> recipe, but then i've never NOT used a metallic bowl to make it, so
> maybe it would taste better???

Normally this is stated when creating an acidic mixture that would react
with the metal the bowl. As acid is used in the recipe would begin
dissolving the bowl you would create IIRC an oxide of the material which may
or may not have a desirable taste. Probably not. In addition since you
will be changing the PH (strength) of the acid in the mixture the acid may
not have the desired result.

Dimitri

Steve Calvin 11-11-2003 01:11 AM

Metallic Bowls

Ribitt wrote:

> "Russ" > wrote in message
>
>>I found a recipe today for venison jerky and it has you mix the ground
>>venison in a "NON Metallic bowl". What would happen if I use a
>>metallic bowl? I know that the metal has a chemical reaction of some
>>sort, but does that apply to all cooking or only certain foods? I've
>>been using a Metallic bowl and hadn't noticed any problems with the
>>recipe, but then i've never NOT used a metallic bowl to make it, so
>>maybe it would taste better???

> Not sure about venison, but most recipes refer to a non-reactive bowl.
> Reactive means aluminium or a variety of other metals. Marinades for jerky
> have a high acid content
>
> Stainless steel bowls have always worked for me. Made some beef jerky last
> week as a matter of fact. Soy sauce, Worcester, all that good stuff.

Jerky with *ground* meat??!? Never heard of it. Wouldn't it fall apart?

--
Steve

If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

zxcvbob 11-11-2003 01:41 AM

Metallic Bowls

Dimitri wrote:
> "Russ" > wrote in message
>
>>I found a recipe today for venison jerky and it has you mix the ground
>>venison in a "NON Metallic bowl". What would happen if I use a
>>metallic bowl? I know that the metal has a chemical reaction of some
>>sort, but does that apply to all cooking or only certain foods? I've
>>been using a Metallic bowl and hadn't noticed any problems with the
>>recipe, but then i've never NOT used a metallic bowl to make it, so
>>maybe it would taste better???

> Normally this is stated when creating an acidic mixture that would react
> with the metal the bowl. As acid is used in the recipe would begin
> dissolving the bowl you would create IIRC an oxide of the material which may
> or may not have a desirable taste. Probably not. In addition since you
> will be changing the PH (strength) of the acid in the mixture the acid may
> not have the desired result.
>
> Dimitri

You are also assuming that whoever wrote the recipe know what they were
talking about. Presumably a non-metal bowl will work. That doesn't mean a
metal bowl will work or not work. (Actually, I guess it would have to do
one or the other ;-)

Best regards,
Bob

sd 11-11-2003 02:15 AM

Metallic Bowls

In article m>,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Jerky with *ground* meat??!? Never heard of it. Wouldn't it fall apart?

Meatloaf doesn't. I had some friends who would make jerky in a
dehydrator using ground beef and spices. It held together just fine.

sd

Steve Calvin 11-11-2003 02:25 AM

Metallic Bowls

sd wrote:

> In article m>,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>Jerky with *ground* meat??!? Never heard of it. Wouldn't it fall apart?

> Meatloaf doesn't. I had some friends who would make jerky in a
> dehydrator using ground beef and spices. It held together just fine.
>
> sd

hmmmm. Ok, I think that I'll "buy that". But if it was in a
backpack/pocket getting "jostled" around during a hike, would it still
stay together?

Doubt if I'll try it though. I think that I'd much prefer the strips
that I use.