Kate Connally

Default fesenjan (duck with pomegranate-walnut sauce)

Did anyone see the Martha Stewart show a couple of months
ago where her hairdresser, who is Persian, was on the
show and made fesenjan and a sour cherry rice pilaf?
I meant to save the show on tape and later copy down the
recipe but I must have accidentally taped over it and
now I don't have it. If anyone got that recipe I'd
really appreciate having it.
Thanks,
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Rona

Kate Connally > wrote in message >...
> Did anyone see the Martha Stewart show a couple of months
> ago where her hairdresser, who is Persian, was on the
> show and made fesenjan and a sour cherry rice pilaf?
> I meant to save the show on tape and later copy down the
> recipe but I must have accidentally taped over it and
> now I don't have it. If anyone got that recipe I'd
> really appreciate having it.
> Thanks,
> Kate

I didn't see the show, and I'm not sure what fesenjan is, but I found
this:

Sour Cherry Rice

Serves 4 to 6

4 cups basmati rice
1 teaspoon coarse salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon plain yogurt
2 teaspoons saffron water
32 ounces whole sour cherry preserves, drained, liquid reserved
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1. Place rice in a medium bowl, and add enough water to cover. Pour
off water, and repeat process 2 to 3 more times. Add enough cold water
to cover. Add salt, and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.

2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add rice, and cook until
almost tender, 5 minutes. Drain.

3. Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick stockpot, combine 2 tablespoons
water, butter, yogurt, and 1 teaspoon saffron water. Add rice,
layering with the cherries, and cherry liquid. Sprinkle with remaining
saffron water and the oil. Cover top of stockpot with a thick kitchen
towel, and place lid on top. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to low, and cook for 30 minutes more. Invert rice onto a
large platter. Serve immediately.

and this

Pomegranate Chicken Stew and Sour Cherry Rice with Parvin

Serves 4 to 6

6 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups finely ground walnuts
2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups water
1 to 2 teaspoons Saffron Water
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 cup pomegranate paste
1 whole 4-pound chicken
1 teaspoon ground paprika
Sour Cherry Rice
Beet Yogurt

1. In a large stockpot, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
Add 1 onion and the garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until golden
brown, 10 to 15 minutes.

2. Add walnuts, and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon turmeric, the
cinnamon, 1 cup water, and the saffron water. Stir in orange juice and
pomegranate paste. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook,
covered, stirring occasionally, for 35 minutes.

3. In another large stockpot, heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil over
medium-high heat. Add remaining onion and cook, stirring frequently,
until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add chicken and cook, turning
occasionally, until brown all over, about 10 minutes. Add the paprika,
remaining teaspoon turmeric, remaining teaspoon salt, and pepper, and
remaining 1/4 cup water. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.

4. Add chicken, pan juices and onions to pomegranate mixture.
Cover, and cook for 45 minutes. Serve with sour cherry rice and beet
yogurt.

From www.marthastewart.com

rona
Kate Connally

Rona wrote:

> [...]

> 2. Add walnuts, and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes.
> Stir in 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon turmeric, the
> cinnamon, 1 cup water, and the saffron water. Stir in orange juice and
> pomegranate paste. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook,
> covered, stirring occasionally, for 35 minutes.
>
> 3. In another large stockpot, heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil over
> medium-high heat. Add remaining onion and cook, stirring frequently,
> until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add chicken and cook, turning
> occasionally, until brown all over, about 10 minutes. Add the paprika,
> remaining teaspoon turmeric, remaining teaspoon salt, and pepper, and
> remaining 1/4 cup water. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
>
> 4. Add chicken, pan juices and onions to pomegranate mixture.
> Cover, and cook for 45 minutes. Serve with sour cherry rice and beet

Thanks, Rona, but I already have several fesenjan
and sour cherry rice pilaf recipes. I wanted the
one from the Martha Stewart show *in particular*.
Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Gina *

>>Thanks, Rona, but I already have several >>fesenjan and sour cherry

rice pilaf recipes. I >>wanted the one from the Martha Stewart >>show
*in particular*. Kate
>>--
>>Kate Connally .

..
Kate, have you looked on her website? Off the top of my head, I think
the addy is www.marthastewert.com Recipes from show are archived
there.

~~~Gina~~~

Rona

Kate Connally > wrote in message >...
<snip>
> Thanks, Rona, but I already have several fesenjan
> and sour cherry rice pilaf recipes. I wanted the
> one from the Martha Stewart show *in particular*.
> Kate

I guess you didn't read the attribution at the bottom of my post--the
part where it said "From www.marthastewart.com" The recipes were,
btw, from her hairdresser (colourist, actually) named Parvin.

Sheesh.

rona

Kate Connally

Gina * wrote:

> >>Thanks, Rona, but I already have several >>fesenjan and sour cherry

> rice pilaf recipes. I >>wanted the one from the Martha Stewart >>show
> *in particular*. Kate
> >>--
> >>Kate Connally .

> .
> Kate, have you looked on her website? Off the top of my head, I think
> the addy is www.marthastewert.com Recipes from show are archived
> there.
>
> ~~~Gina~~~

Hi Gina,
Yes I looked. It's not there.
Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Rona wrote:

> Kate Connally > wrote in message >...
> <snip>
> > Thanks, Rona, but I already have several fesenjan
> > and sour cherry rice pilaf recipes. I wanted the
> > one from the Martha Stewart show *in particular*.
> > Kate

> I guess you didn't read the attribution at the bottom of my post--the
> part where it said "From www.marthastewart.com" The recipes were,
> btw, from her hairdresser (colourist, actually) named Parvin.
>
> Sheesh.
>
> rona

Oops! Sorry, Rona. But I went to her site and couldn't
find it. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Parvin (I actually did
state in my original post that she was Martha's hairdresser,
just couldn't remember her name - now who's not paying
attention? :-) - just teasing!) made it with duck. T

he recipe is probably pretty much the same. But I'd still
like to get the recipe taken down from the actual show to be sure.
Where did you find it on her site. I spent a long time looking and
couldn't find it. And I just looked again and I still can't
find it, no matter how I search. I even went through every
single rice recipe and every single chicken recipe and neither
one is there. I used the recipe finder, advanced search feature.
Anyway, since I had already looked there and couldn't find it
and I didn't see the attribution I assumed that they were not
the same recipes. Sorry.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Rona wrote:
> >
> > Kate Connally > wrote in message

> > <snip>
> > > Thanks, Rona, but I already have several fesenjan
> > > and sour cherry rice pilaf recipes. I wanted the
> > > one from the Martha Stewart show *in particular*.
> > > Kate

> > I guess you didn't read the attribution at the bottom of my post--the
> > part where it said "From www.marthastewart.com" The recipes were,
> > btw, from her hairdresser (colourist, actually) named Parvin.
> >
> > Sheesh.
> >
> > rona

> Oops! Sorry, Rona. But I went to her site and couldn't
> find it. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Parvin (I actually did
> state in my original post that she was Martha's hairdresser,
> just couldn't remember her name - now who's not paying
> attention? :-) - just teasing!) made it with duck.

I knew you had mentioned the guest was Marth's hairdresser. That's why I
mentioned it in my reply, so that you would know those recipes were the ones
by her. Parvin's not a hairdresser, though. She's a colourist. Fine line,
I know, but not all stylists can do colour well (and not all colourists can
style).

> The recipe is probably pretty much the same. But I'd still
> like to get the recipe taken down from the actual show to be sure.
> Where did you find it on her site. I spent a long time looking and
> couldn't find it. And I just looked again and I still can't
> find it, no matter how I search. I even went through every
> single rice recipe and every single chicken recipe and neither
> one is there. I used the recipe finder, advanced search feature.
> Anyway, since I had already looked there and couldn't find it
> and I didn't see the attribution I assumed that they were not
> the same recipes. Sorry.
>
> Kate

Sorry about the snippiness. I was annoyed at not getting any posts for more
than 24 hours and my ISP kept insisting nothing was wrong on their end
(although I had not changed any of my settings at all and they refused to
check their servers unless other people complained, too!). I just started
getting messages again today after about 48 hours of nothing. I was also
annoyed because that one post via Google Groups with my valid e-mail address
opened my account to those darn virus e-mails again! And they're the reason
I switched addresses and tried to munge my new one to begin with! OK, no
more complaining...

If you do a general search of the site for "Persian" the recipes will pop
up. That's how I managed to find them. She only has three--the two I
posted and one for Cornish Game Hens. I think the blurb before the recipes
mentioned something about having to make substitutions when she first
arrived in the US. She might have made the recipe with duck for the show,
but posted it with chicken in the recipe for the less adventurous watchers.
Her (Parvin's) e-mail address is on the site, though, so you can e-mail her
for clarification.

rona

Kate Connally

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> I knew you had mentioned the guest was Marth's hairdresser. That's why I
> mentioned it in my reply, so that you would know those recipes were the ones
> by her. Parvin's not a hairdresser, though. She's a colourist. Fine line,
> I know, but not all stylists can do colour well (and not all colourists can
> style).

Ah! A distinction that's lost on me since the only
contact I have with them people is going to the beauty
school 3-4 times a year for a cut. I won't even let
them blow it dry but leave with wet hair, since I don't
want to spend any more time there than absolutely necessary
and besides I have to dry it myself to get it the way
I want it. ;-) I'm telling you, if I thought I would
look half decent bald, I'd shave my hair in a minute!
So, colourists vs. stylists? Who knew? :-)

> Sorry about the snippiness. I was annoyed at not getting any posts for more
> than 24 hours and my ISP kept insisting nothing was wrong on their end
> (although I had not changed any of my settings at all and they refused to
> check their servers unless other people complained, too!). I just started
> getting messages again today after about 48 hours of nothing. I was also
> annoyed because that one post via Google Groups with my valid e-mail address
> opened my account to those darn virus e-mails again! And they're the reason
> I switched addresses and tried to munge my new one to begin with! OK, no
> more complaining...

No problem. Sorry you're having so much trouble.
I delete 95% of my e-mail without opening it as it
is all spam and viruses these days. Big PIA.

> If you do a general search of the site for "Persian" the recipes will pop
> up. That's how I managed to find them. She only has three--the two I
> posted and one for Cornish Game Hens. I think the blurb before the recipes
> mentioned something about having to make substitutions when she first
> arrived in the US. She might have made the recipe with duck for the show,
> but posted it with chicken in the recipe for the less adventurous watchers.
> Her (Parvin's) e-mail address is on the site, though, so you can e-mail her
> for clarification.

Hmmm? I did search under Persian although I didn't
mention it. I searched under about 10-15 different
things and nothing came up at all on most of them.
I'll try it one more time. This is bugging me.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message

> Hmmm? I did search under Persian although I didn't
> mention it. I searched under about 10-15 different
> things and nothing came up at all on most of them.
> I'll try it one more time. This is bugging me.
>
> Kate

After you type "Persian" under the search function on the homepage (not the
recipe page, but the homepage for the whole site), about 8-10 features will
pop up but none will be the recipes. However, there is a bar that says
something like "show all 28 features." If you click on that, the recipes
will be in that list of links. If you use "pomegranate" instead of
"Persian" the recipe will pop up right away, though you'll miss Parvin's
Cornish Game Hen recipe.

rona