Kris

Default How to make Pakistani chapli kebab???

Hi there - watching some old photos the other day and going through a
serious phase of travel nostalgia so... does anyone know how to
make the Pakistani chapli kebab???

The meat must be beef, but what else? Tomatoes, sure, but what spices
and what quantities and so on???

Thanx heaps!

Kris

Clay Irving

In article >, Kris wrote:

> Hi there - watching some old photos the other day and going through a
> serious phase of travel nostalgia so... does anyone know how to
> make the Pakistani chapli kebab???
>
> The meat must be beef, but what else? Tomatoes, sure, but what spices
> and what quantities and so on???

Google: chapli kebab recipe

Title: Chapli Kebab - Balti Starter
Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients

3/4 lb minced lamb, reminced in
-processor
1 green pepper; seeded and
-chopped
1 red pepper; seeded and
-chopped
2 sm onions; very finely
-chopped
1 tomato; finely chopped
1/2 ts cumin seeds
2 tsps chopped fresh coriander
1/2 ts crushed garlic
1/2 ts grated fresh ginger
1 fresh green chili; very
-finely chopped
1/2 ts salt
1/4 ts garam masala
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tb gram flour
3 1/2 c vegetable oil for deep
-frying

Instructions

Stage 1: MakIng kebabs. Mix together peppers, onions, tomato, cumin
seeds and coriander. In another bowl combine minced lamb with garlic,
ginger, green chili, salt, garam masala and lemon juice, squeezing and
kneading to mix well. Add spiced meat to fresh ingredients and gram
flour. Wet your hands to stop the mixture sticking to them and mix,
squeezing and punching, until it is evenly blended. Divide meat mixture
into 4 equal lumps. Wet your hands and mould into oval hamburgers about
1/2 inch thick.

Stage 2: FryIng kebabs. In a large wok heat vegetable oil until it just
sizzles when you sprinkle a little water into it. Slide one kebab in
gently. After 4 minutes slip the next one in. After another 3 minutes
remove the first one and gently slide in the third. As you take them out
put the kebabs on a wire rack to drain, and keep hot. Repeat process
until the four are done. During this deep frying remove any loose bits
so they don't burn. Serve the kebabs with chopped lettuce and sliced
tomato and onion, plus cucumber if desired. Sprinkle a little very
finely chopped coriander over the kebabs Serve with a spoonful of Balti
dip and thick Balti sauce. Chapli kebabs are better barbecued. Cook as
you would hamburgers. Developed by Channi's Proprietor and Chef Mr
`Channi' Dogra. A chapli (which means `slipper') is like a spicy
Chapli Kebab
Ingredients

1 kg mutton or beef mince
3 green chillies finely chopped
1 bunch chopped coriander
2 table spoon original corn flour
2 ½ spoon coriander seed (half crushed)
salt to taste
1 tea spoon dried pomegranate seed (Anar dana)
1 table spoon of ginger and garlic paste
1 tea spoon red chilli powder
3 diced tomatoes
2 diced onions
1 slightly beaten egg

Method
Combine all the spices and ingredients along with mince. Mix them well,
make palm size cutlet. Then take 5 table spoon of oil, pour it on frying
pan. Fry the kebabs on medium or low flame. Each side of kebab should be
cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve the hot kebab with raita or green chutney.
hamburger that is not skewered.
CHAPLI KABAB (MINCED LAMB OR BEEF KABAB).

1 large egg
1 large slice white bread, crusts removed
2 tablespoon milk
2 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1-2 green chillies, seeded if wished
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
15 g (½ oz) coriander (cilantro) leaves and stalks, roughly chopped
2 tablespoon fresh mint leaves or 1 teaspoon dried mint
500 g (1 lb/2 cups) lean minced (ground) lamb or beef
½ a small onion, roughly chopped
Oil for brushing over

In a food processor, blend the egg, bread and milk until smooth. Add
the remaining ingredients except the onion and oil. Blend until the
all the ingredients have incorporated well and the meat mixture is
smooth. Add the onion and blend, using the pulse action so that the
onion is finely chopped rather than pureed. Divide the mixture into 8
equal portions and flatten to about 10 cm (4 in) diameter kababs. You
will find it easier to shape the kababs if you have a bowl of cold
water ready to moisten your palms each time.

I like to cook them on a char griller or barbecue, but you can also
grill (broil) them under a gas or electric grill (broiler). Brush them
with a little oil and cook them on a pre-heated char-grilling pan over
medium heat or over glowing charcoal on the barbecue for 2 minutes on
each side, 2½ minutes on each side if cooking under a grill.

Pre-heat the grill to high for 5 minutes, then cook the kababs 7.5 cm
(3 in) away from the heat source.

Mridula's secret: I like to add milk in the kabab mix because the lactic
acid in it makes the kababs deliciously tender. For an extra special treat,
try adding single cream instead of the milk; the kababs will simply melt in
your mouth!

--
Clay Irving >
I just need enough to tide me over until I need more.