Default COBBLER QUERY

A few weeks ago, I watched half a cooking show
where they made a deceptively simple cobbler.

I never did get the recipe.... but I did get "cobbler fever";

They buttered the ramekins,
dusted with sugar
and put in some sliced fresh fruit.

The "topping" was a basic flour/milk/egg/?? mix
that had the consistency of cake batter.
It was spooned on top of the fruit,
then the ramekins were baked until done.

I've searched my cookbooks, and googled cobblers,
but all the recipes call for a "pie-crust" or biscuit topping.

I'm thinking of experimenting
either with a cake batter, or a pancake batter......
Any suggestions ??

BTW; Damn.... those ramekins are pricey.
Any uses for them besides cobbler ?
I guess I could serve soup in them.
<rj>
The Cook

"<RJ>" > wrote:

>A few weeks ago, I watched half a cooking show
>where they made a deceptively simple cobbler.
>
>I never did get the recipe.... but I did get "cobbler fever";
>
>They buttered the ramekins,
>dusted with sugar
>and put in some sliced fresh fruit.
>
>The "topping" was a basic flour/milk/egg/?? mix
>that had the consistency of cake batter.
>It was spooned on top of the fruit,
>then the ramekins were baked until done.
>
>I've searched my cookbooks, and googled cobblers,
>but all the recipes call for a "pie-crust" or biscuit topping.
>
>I'm thinking of experimenting
>either with a cake batter, or a pancake batter......
>Any suggestions ??
>
>BTW; Damn.... those ramekins are pricey.
>Any uses for them besides cobbler ?
>I guess I could serve soup in them.
><rj>

Here is the recipe for cobbler topping that I use.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Topping for Fruit Pies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pies & Pastry

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup milk

Drop onto sweetened fruit. Bake at 400° until brown.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Sylvia

This isn't quite what you were looking for, but similar and extremely
easy. You could make it in ramekins instead of a casserole as I did,
just divide the butter among the ramekins, let it melt, then distribute
batter and fruit among the ramekins as well. Try baking 10-15 minutes.
(Although I must say I like digging cobbler out of a casserole!)

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

Title: Bisquick Cobbler
Categories: Favorite, Pie, Quick
Yield: 8 servings

1/2 c Butter
1 c Milk; or fruit juice
1 c Bisquick
1 c Sugar
15 oz Peaches, sliced; OR
2 lg Peaches, fresh;peeld & chopd
-OR
1 c Fruit, frozen; thawed, bite-
-sized

Double amount of fruit for a less cakey cobbler. Drain any fruit
juice and add enough milk to measure 1 cup.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt butter in 2-qt oven-safe casserole. Mix
milk, sugar, and bisquick in blender. Spread fruit on top; it will
sink through immediately. Bake 45 minutes. (If using frozen fruit,
bake an extra 10 minutes.)

Original directions: Melt butter in a 13 x 9 inch pan. Mix milk,
sugar and Bisquick in a bowl. Pour into melted butter. Spread
peaches on top. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Nutritional information per serving: xx calories, xx gm protein,
xx mg cholesterol, xx gm carbohydrate, xx mg sodium, x.x gm fiber,
xx gm fat ( x gm sat, x gm mono, x gm poly), x.x mg iron, xx mg
calcium, x% of calories from fat.

From: Randy Rigg Date: 06-15-94
The Lunatic Fringe Bbs þ Home Of Plan (901) F-Cooking

From the recipe files of www.SteigerFamily.com: tested 9/6/2002 with
fresh peaches and homemade bisquick in a 1-qt Corningware casserole.
This produced a very liquidy batter. There is a commercial cobbler
mix that uses less milk for a more doughy batter and shorter cooking
time, but I think I prefer this one, the longer baking time cooked
the peaches better. More like an upside-down cake than a traditional
cobbler, but delicious! Not too sweet, even with so much sugar. I've
been using up fresh peaches so that was my fruit, with no added
liquid. Another benefit to the greater amount of milk was that I
could mix up the bisquick/sugar/milk mixture in the blender. I
actually timed this: I put another casserole in the oven at this temp
that needed to bake for 45 minutes. I stuck the butter in a
casserole to melt, washed and chopped the peaches, mixed up the
bisquick mixture, pulled the casserole out, added the bisquick
mixture and chopped peaches, and stuck it back into the oven to bake
just as the timer reached 30 minutes to go. And it tastes delicious
right out of the oven, or cooled-off the next day. I LOVE this
recipe!

MMMMM

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

query cometz Baking 3 26-02-2007 08:20 PM
query WENDY HUNT Baking 0 04-02-2007 05:26 AM
Cobbler Query Terry Pulliam Burd General Cooking 8 25-10-2005 04:42 AM
An Egg Query hahabogus General Cooking 14 01-06-2004 07:05 AM
How to query Jerry Baking 0 15-05-2004 05:17 AM