Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Controlling fruit flies

After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!

So, steps I took:

NO food scraps of ANY kind (not even meat wrappers) go into the kitchen
trash can. Meat wrappers go straight out to the curb cart and any other
food scraps such as onion peels, banana peels and bones go into a hinged
snap lid container on the kitchen sink that is lined with a plastic bag.
Daily to every other day, said bag gets tied up and taken out. Snap lid
remains closed at all times.

Second, I bought a small covered trash can for my recycling. Even tho' I
rinse the cat food cans and any other cans, there is enough residual
food to attract the flies. They tended to hang out around the recycling
bin when I was using a 5 gallon lined bucket. Now that it's covered all
the time, that's no longer a problem.

Third and final issue was room temp stored food. Potatoes, onions,
tomatoes, fruit, garlic, etc. The damned things were always hanging out
near the baskets. Central Market in Austin sells a lovely little
"re-usable produce bag" which is a drawstring fine mesh bag. It's sold
specifically to eliminate exposure to fruit flies! They have a small
display rack near the banana display.

That third item seemed to be the last and most important step it took to
help me get rid of this problem! All room temp stored stuff is still in
baskets, but is now contained in one of those mesh bags. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
> seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
> eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!

We had a major infestation a few months ago but they weren't
fruit flies, they were fungus gnats, growing in the pot of a
beautiful 12" tall mango plant I had managed to sprout. The
gnats were pervasive and annoying.

My garden center expert told me that it was due to overwatering,
causing fungus in the soil which the gnats fed on. Unfortunately
I wasn't able to get rid of them w/o throwing away the plant.
Luckily it was the only one of all the indoor plants affected and
we haven't seen any gnats since. It was a beautiful plant and I
was sad to have to trash it.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 20:48:40 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
>seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
>eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!
>
>So, steps I took:
>
>NO food scraps of ANY kind (not even meat wrappers) go into the kitchen
>trash can. Meat wrappers go straight out to the curb cart and any other
>food scraps such as onion peels, banana peels and bones go into a hinged
>snap lid container on the kitchen sink that is lined with a plastic bag.
>Daily to every other day, said bag gets tied up and taken out. Snap lid
>remains closed at all times.
>
>Second, I bought a small covered trash can for my recycling. Even tho' I
>rinse the cat food cans and any other cans, there is enough residual
>food to attract the flies. They tended to hang out around the recycling
>bin when I was using a 5 gallon lined bucket. Now that it's covered all
>the time, that's no longer a problem.
>
>Third and final issue was room temp stored food. Potatoes, onions,
>tomatoes, fruit, garlic, etc. The damned things were always hanging out
>near the baskets. Central Market in Austin sells a lovely little
>"re-usable produce bag" which is a drawstring fine mesh bag. It's sold
>specifically to eliminate exposure to fruit flies! They have a small
>display rack near the banana display.
>
>That third item seemed to be the last and most important step it took to
>help me get rid of this problem! All room temp stored stuff is still in
>baskets, but is now contained in one of those mesh bags. :-)

and let that be a lesson to you!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
> seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
> eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!
>
> So, steps I took:
>
> NO food scraps of ANY kind (not even meat wrappers) go into the kitchen
> trash can. Meat wrappers go straight out to the curb cart and any other
> food scraps such as onion peels, banana peels and bones go into a hinged
> snap lid container on the kitchen sink that is lined with a plastic bag.
> Daily to every other day, said bag gets tied up and taken out. Snap lid
> remains closed at all times.
>
> Second, I bought a small covered trash can for my recycling. Even tho' I
> rinse the cat food cans and any other cans, there is enough residual
> food to attract the flies. They tended to hang out around the recycling
> bin when I was using a 5 gallon lined bucket. Now that it's covered all
> the time, that's no longer a problem.
>
> Third and final issue was room temp stored food. Potatoes, onions,
> tomatoes, fruit, garlic, etc. The damned things were always hanging out
> near the baskets. Central Market in Austin sells a lovely little
> "re-usable produce bag" which is a drawstring fine mesh bag. It's sold
> specifically to eliminate exposure to fruit flies! They have a small
> display rack near the banana display.
>
> That third item seemed to be the last and most important step it took to
> help me get rid of this problem! All room temp stored stuff is still in
> baskets, but is now contained in one of those mesh bags. :-)

Another option if you like wine is to leave about 100ml or so in the
uncorked bottle. The little *******s LOVE wine. They love it so much
they drink, get drunk and drown in it.

Problem solved.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
> > seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
> > eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!

> We had a major infestation a few months ago but they weren't
> fruit flies, they were fungus gnats, growing in the pot of a
> beautiful 12" tall mango plant I had managed to sprout. The
> gnats were pervasive and annoying.
>
> My garden center expert told me that it was due to overwatering,
> causing fungus in the soil which the gnats fed on. Unfortunately
> I wasn't able to get rid of them w/o throwing away the plant.
> Luckily it was the only one of all the indoor plants affected and
> we haven't seen any gnats since. It was a beautiful plant and I
> was sad to have to trash it.
>
> gloria p

You could have just put it outdoors? :-(

I wonder if covering topsoil with pine mulch would help control that?

I have no houseplants because the cats always want to eat them. The
Basil and Tarragon currently living in my bedroom window sill is
temporary and so far, no flies. The bedroom door stays closed so the
cats can't get to them.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> >That third item seemed to be the last and most important step it took to
> >help me get rid of this problem! All room temp stored stuff is still in
> >baskets, but is now contained in one of those mesh bags. :-)

> and let that be a lesson to you!

<grins>

So, how do you store your room temp stuff?
My sister just keeps it all in the 'frige, but I did learn here that
putting tomatoes into the refrigerator ruined the flavor, and y'all were
right as usual!

And you cannot refrigerate bananas without them turning black. Dad loves
bananas so they are always around...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
T > wrote:

> Another option if you like wine is to leave about 100ml or so in the
> uncorked bottle. The little *******s LOVE wine. They love it so much
> they drink, get drunk and drown in it.
>
> Problem solved.

Yeah, fly traps. A little grape or apple juice works too. There is
still a wine bottle "fly trap" in the corner of the pantry and yes, it
helps, but it was not enough...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> And you cannot refrigerate bananas without them turning black. Dad loves
> bananas so they are always around...

It's the skin that turns black, though, not the flesh, right?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > And you cannot refrigerate bananas without them turning black. Dad loves
> > bananas so they are always around...

> It's the skin that turns black, though, not the flesh, right?

Yes, but dad is picky. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
>> And you cannot refrigerate bananas without them turning black. Dad
>> loves bananas so they are always around...

> It's the skin that turns black, though, not the flesh, right?

A - yup...until the very *final* stages of decomposition, that is...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 7:05*am, Omelet > wrote:

> Yeah, fly traps. *A little grape or apple juice works too. There is
> still a wine bottle "fly trap" in the corner of the pantry and yes, it
> helps, but it was not enough...

Hmmmm..... maybe I'll put a saucer or wine under my sink near the
garbage bucket. I hung some old fashioned fly paper on the pipe, but
it only caught SOME of the pesky things.

Do they prefer red or white? (wine)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We have successfully controlled fruit flies with a small glass with
about 1/2 inch of cider vinegar with a couple drops of dish detergent
in it. The little buggers just drown in the stuff, and can't stay out
of it apparently. Have used this every year for the last 5. I usually
put out several of them in different rooms. We are always amazed at
the numbers of bodies that appear in each. Always many more than there
appeared to be flying around.
Your way is probably better, but this one works too.
Nan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "gloria.p" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
>>> seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
>>> eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!

>> We had a major infestation a few months ago but they weren't
>> fruit flies, they were fungus gnats,

>> My garden center expert told me that it was due to overwatering,
>> causing fungus in the soil which the gnats fed on. Unfortunately
>> I wasn't able to get rid of them w/o throwing away the plant.
>> Luckily it was the only one of all the indoor plants affected and
>> we haven't seen any gnats since. It was a beautiful plant and I
>> was sad to have to trash it.
>>
>> gloria p

> You could have just put it outdoors? :-(

Temperatures were in the single digits that week. (This week,
too.) :-(

> I wonder if covering topsoil with pine mulch would help control that?

Not sure about mulch but everything I heard and read said
repotting with new soil usually makes the condition worse.
Letting it dry out (probably enough to kill the plant) seemed
to be the only option. I just hastened the process.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
> seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
> eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!
>
> We had a major infestation a few months ago but they weren't
> fruit flies,

Don't you mean Flute Fly

> they were fungus gnats,

Wouldn't that be like dwarfs? LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:

> Another option if you like wine is to leave about 100ml or so in the
> uncorked bottle. The little *******s LOVE wine. They love it so much
> they drink, get drunk and drown in it.

Kinda like people that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Kalmia wrote:

> On Dec 6, 7:05 am, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Yeah, fly traps. A little grape or apple juice works too. There is
> > still a wine bottle "fly trap" in the corner of the pantry and yes, it
> > helps, but it was not enough...

> Hmmmm..... maybe I'll put a saucer or wine under my sink near the
> garbage bucket. I hung some old fashioned fly paper on the pipe, but
> it only caught SOME of the pesky things.
>
> Do they prefer red or white? (wine)

It helps to add a drop of liquid dish detergent to the fluid of choice
in the fly traps. The soap eliminates the surface water tension so the
flies will sink instead of float <VBEG>. I use a little bit of cider
vinegar (they like that stuff, too) with a drop of liquid soap in a
ramekin. It's lot easier and works just as well as a funnel trap.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

gloria.p wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
> > seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
> > eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!

> We had a major infestation a few months ago but they weren't
> fruit flies, they were fungus gnats, growing in the pot of a
> beautiful 12" tall mango plant I had managed to sprout. The
> gnats were pervasive and annoying.
>
> My garden center expert told me that it was due to overwatering,
> causing fungus in the soil which the gnats fed on. Unfortunately
> I wasn't able to get rid of them w/o throwing away the plant.
> Luckily it was the only one of all the indoor plants affected and
> we haven't seen any gnats since. It was a beautiful plant and I
> was sad to have to trash it.
>
> gloria p

One trick I read in a gardening magazine that might help to curb those
pesky gnats is to put a layer of regular "play sand" (about 1/2"-3/4"
thick????) on top of all the soil in every plant container located in
the home. Whether or not this really helps, I have no clue since I've
never tried it. But, perhaps it's worth a try? Sand is usually very
cheap

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> On Dec 6, 7:05*am, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Yeah, fly traps. *A little grape or apple juice works too. There is
> > still a wine bottle "fly trap" in the corner of the pantry and yes, it
> > helps, but it was not enough...

> Hmmmm..... maybe I'll put a saucer or wine under my sink near the
> garbage bucket. I hung some old fashioned fly paper on the pipe, but
> it only caught SOME of the pesky things.
>
> Do they prefer red or white? (wine)

Red seems to work best, but the bottle is necessary. I don't think a
platter will work as well as, one, it'd evaporate and two, the slender
bottle neck seems to trap them better.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nan > wrote:

> We have successfully controlled fruit flies with a small glass with
> about 1/2 inch of cider vinegar with a couple drops of dish detergent
> in it. The little buggers just drown in the stuff, and can't stay out
> of it apparently. Have used this every year for the last 5. I usually
> put out several of them in different rooms. We are always amazed at
> the numbers of bodies that appear in each. Always many more than there
> appeared to be flying around.
> Your way is probably better, but this one works too.
> Nan

Ooh, I've not tried cider vinegar. Apple I presume?

I'll have to give that a shot and see if I can get a higher carcass
count. <eg>

Thanks!

I have very, very few flies left now that I mesh bagged all the produce
tho', but I'd just as soon not have ANY!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> > You could have just put it outdoors? :-(

> Temperatures were in the single digits that week. (This week,
> too.) :-(
> >
> > I wonder if covering topsoil with pine mulch would help control that?
> >

> Not sure about mulch but everything I heard and read said
> repotting with new soil usually makes the condition worse.
> Letting it dry out (probably enough to kill the plant) seemed
> to be the only option. I just hastened the process.
>
> gloria p

Bummer.

I know how one can get attached to plants... <sigh>

It's been in the 20's here at night the last couple of nights and I felt
bad for my one remaining Canna. It was blooming for the first time this
year when it froze. I also have to prune back my Lantanas that froze,
and all the wandering jew is flat. :-( That stuff will all come back
tho' in the spring.

Winter is here with a vengeance!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Kalmia wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 6, 7:05 am, Omelet > wrote:
> >
> > > Yeah, fly traps. A little grape or apple juice works too. There is
> > > still a wine bottle "fly trap" in the corner of the pantry and yes, it
> > > helps, but it was not enough...

> > Hmmmm..... maybe I'll put a saucer or wine under my sink near the
> > garbage bucket. I hung some old fashioned fly paper on the pipe, but
> > it only caught SOME of the pesky things.
> >
> > Do they prefer red or white? (wine)

> It helps to add a drop of liquid dish detergent to the fluid of choice
> in the fly traps. The soap eliminates the surface water tension so the
> flies will sink instead of float <VBEG>. I use a little bit of cider
> vinegar (they like that stuff, too) with a drop of liquid soap in a
> ramekin. It's lot easier and works just as well as a funnel trap.
>
> Sky

I'm going to have to try that!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 06:04:19 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

><grins>
>
>So, how do you store your room temp stuff?
>My sister just keeps it all in the 'frige, but I did learn here that
>putting tomatoes into the refrigerator ruined the flavor, and y'all were
>right as usual!

As you know, I don't live in the warmest of climates. Husbands and
wives play the furnace game year 'round here - one turns it up and the
other turns it down. It's an old SF ritual dating back to the first
gas furnaces. I've been lucky enough to have very few fruit flies.
If I recall correctly, the last time I had them all I needed to do was
to eat everything that needed to be eaten and put the rest, like
lemons and onions, went into the refrigerator. I didn't put any
fruits or vegetables out for a week or two after that, the fruit flies
died or left and they haven't returned. I buy organic more often than
not, so it's not better living through chemicals and I've never even
had to put up a flystrip. <Did you just see that shiny halo?>

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 07:18:36 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Omelet > wrote:
>>
>> > And you cannot refrigerate bananas without them turning black. Dad loves
>> > bananas so they are always around...

>> It's the skin that turns black, though, not the flesh, right?

>Yes, but dad is picky. <g>

I don't blame him.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 06:04:19 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> ><grins>
> >
> >So, how do you store your room temp stuff?
> >My sister just keeps it all in the 'frige, but I did learn here that
> >putting tomatoes into the refrigerator ruined the flavor, and y'all were
> >right as usual!

> As you know, I don't live in the warmest of climates. Husbands and
> wives play the furnace game year 'round here - one turns it up and the
> other turns it down. It's an old SF ritual dating back to the first
> gas furnaces. I've been lucky enough to have very few fruit flies.
> If I recall correctly, the last time I had them all I needed to do was
> to eat everything that needed to be eaten and put the rest, like
> lemons and onions, went into the refrigerator. I didn't put any
> fruits or vegetables out for a week or two after that, the fruit flies
> died or left and they haven't returned. I buy organic more often than
> not, so it's not better living through chemicals and I've never even
> had to put up a flystrip. <Did you just see that shiny halo?>

Sounds like a good plan... ;-)

Onions and garlic, and most fruit can be stored in the 'frige and I can
just refrain from purchasing tomatoes for a week or three!

But, I've not seen a single fly now for the past few days so I may have
finally won! <yay!>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 07:18:36 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> >> It's the skin that turns black, though, not the flesh, right?

> >Yes, but dad is picky. <g>

> I don't blame him.

<snork>

I don't think I'd enjoy black bananas either?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 17:27:45 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 07:18:36 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:

>> >Yes, but dad is picky. <g>

>> I don't blame him.

><snork>
>
>I don't think I'd enjoy black bananas either?

You could make banana "something". I can't suggest bread or cake to
you, so how about breaking them in half, shoving a popsicle stick up
their little bottoms, dipping them in chocolate, rolling them in nuts
and freezing them? Your nephews will adore you, even if your dad
doesn't.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> >> I don't blame him.

> ><snork>
> >
> >I don't think I'd enjoy black bananas either?

> You could make banana "something". I can't suggest bread or cake to
> you, so how about breaking them in half, shoving a popsicle stick up
> their little bottoms, dipping them in chocolate, rolling them in nuts
> and freezing them? Your nephews will adore you, even if your dad
> doesn't.

The Nephews would indeed love them... but seriously, dad goes thru 3 to
6 bananas per day sometimes! He's bananas for bananas!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 9:48*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
> seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
> eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!

The simplest thing for you to do would be to spread your legs and
allow your fowl odour to permeate the air in the immediate vicinity of
said fruit flies. Just make sure no human is in the area and be sure
to call your local armed forces bio hazard people in order to contain
any outbreak of lung problems that may result from the airborne
contagion that you released.

<snip>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> I don't think I'd enjoy black bananas either?

It's the skin that turns black, not the fruit; but if that bothers you,
then you probably won't be doing it. :-0)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
10-30-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > I don't think I'd enjoy black bananas either?

> It's the skin that turns black, not the fruit; but if that bothers you,
> then you probably won't be doing it. :-0)

Heh! I do like bananas but rarely eat them. Dad would not understand
nor appreciate black skinned bananas. <g> The mesh bags are controlling
the problem, and I've found that they are also coming in handy as stock
bags for totally discardable ingredients such as shrimp shells!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 8:48*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
> seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
> eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!
>
> So, steps I took:
>
> NO food scraps of ANY kind (not even meat wrappers) go into the kitchen
> trash can.

You had omnivorous fruit flies that liked meat.

You know what is worse? drain flies:
http://www.westopthebugs.com/images/DrainFlyLg.jpg

They live in and love sewage. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 19:15:00 -0800 (PST), --Bryan >
wrote:

>On Dec 5, 8:48*pm, Omelet > wrote:
>> After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
>> seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
>> eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!
>>
>> So, steps I took:
>>
>> NO food scraps of ANY kind (not even meat wrappers) go into the kitchen
>> trash can.

>You had omnivorous fruit flies that liked meat.
>
>You know what is worse? drain flies:
>http://www.westopthebugs.com/images/DrainFlyLg.jpg
>
>They live in and love sewage. Nasty, nasty, nasty.
>
>> --
>> Peace! Om

>--Bryan

As a farmer who has a husband who loves bugs- he tells me--"bugs
are bugs, they do the job no one else wants to do.Thank goodness for
bugs"-(although I hold the line as ground nesting wasps!)

Relax.

Bugs are important and you have to be selective but they are not all
bad or so I have learned these last 30 years, We're happy and healthy
as a result.

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 10:16*pm, pure kona > wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 19:15:00 -0800 (PST), --Bryan >
> wrote:
>

> >On Dec 5, 8:48 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> >> After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
> >> seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
> >> eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!

> >> So, steps I took:

> >> NO food scraps of ANY kind (not even meat wrappers) go into the kitchen
> >> trash can.

> >You had omnivorous fruit flies that liked meat.

> >You know what is worse? drain flies:
> >http://www.westopthebugs.com/images/DrainFlyLg.jpg

> >They live in and love sewage. *Nasty, nasty, nasty.

> >> --
> >> Peace! Om

> >--Bryan

> As a farmer who has a husband who loves bugs- *he tells me--"bugs
> are bugs, they do the job no one else wants to do.Thank goodness for
> bugs"-(although I hold the line as ground nesting wasps!)
>
> Relax.
>
> Bugs are important and you have to be selective but they are not all
> bad or so I have learned these last 30 years, We're happy and healthy
> as a result.

One of the few unappealing things about Hawaii is the 3-1/2 inch
cockroaches.

> aloha,
> Cea

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
--Bryan > wrote:

> On Dec 5, 8:48*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
> > seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
> > eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!
> >
> > So, steps I took:
> >
> > NO food scraps of ANY kind (not even meat wrappers) go into the kitchen
> > trash can.

> You had omnivorous fruit flies that liked meat.
>
> You know what is worse? drain flies:
> http://www.westopthebugs.com/images/DrainFlyLg.jpg
>
> They live in and love sewage. Nasty, nasty, nasty.
>
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> --Bryan

I see those in the bathroom occasionally at work and kill any one I see.
To date, I've never had them here. I pour bleach solution down the sink
overflow at work whenever they appear and that takes care of it.

Sometimes I have to do housekeepings job. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 9:25*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *--Bryan > wrote:
> > On Dec 5, 8:48*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > > After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
> > > seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
> > > eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!

> > > So, steps I took:

> > > NO food scraps of ANY kind (not even meat wrappers) go into the kitchen
> > > trash can.

> > You had omnivorous fruit flies that liked meat.

> > You know what is worse? drain flies:
> >http://www.westopthebugs.com/images/DrainFlyLg.jpg

> > They live in and love sewage. *Nasty, nasty, nasty.

> > > --
> > > Peace! Om

> > --Bryan

> I see those in the bathroom occasionally at work and kill any one I see.
> To date, I've never had them here. *I pour bleach solution down the sink
> overflow at work whenever they appear and that takes care of it.
>
> Sometimes I have to do housekeepings job. ;-)

You Texans! You just can't STAND that the cockroaches in Hawaii might
be bigger than yours, can you?
> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan

D*MN Fruit Flies!!!!! Sky General Cooking 17 29-06-2009 07:52 PM
Fruit Flies (OT) [email protected] General Cooking 15 19-10-2008 12:16 AM
Fat Fruit Flies Becca General Cooking 4 07-09-2007 03:02 PM
Well, it is only fruit flies JimLane General Cooking 0 31-05-2005 11:38 PM
fruit flies greg boyd Winemaking 5 30-04-2004 09:02 PM