Old 05-12-2009, 01:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

Default Indoor diy barbeques

In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten inches square, the
base being made from what i think was some kind of clay and had a stainless
steel rack to sit on the top.

They could easily be placed on a kitchen hob, so that you could have an
indoor barbi.

They were too heavy to bring one home. I'm wondering if anyone has seen
them for sale in the u.k.?

Or if anybody had adapted anything to make a miniature barbeque that one
could use indoors in the kitchen placed on the gas hob?

Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

sam coleridge wrote:
In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten inches square, the
base being made from what i think was some kind of clay and had a stainless
steel rack to sit on the top.

They could easily be placed on a kitchen hob, so that you could have an
indoor barbi.

They were too heavy to bring one home. I'm wondering if anyone has seen
them for sale in the u.k.?

Or if anybody had adapted anything to make a miniature barbeque that one
could use indoors in the kitchen placed on the gas hob?

One of the reasons for not having indoor barbies is that burning
charcoal can produce carbon monoxide which is somewhat poisonous.

--
Rod
Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

If you want to use your cooker fan extractor hood then buy a "Piramid"
(maybe Pyramid) barbeque and place it overthe hob. We have had one for
years and they are superb. Quite expensive but have long guarantee.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

"sam coleridge" wrote:

In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten inches square, the
base being made from what i think was some kind of clay and had a stainless
steel rack to sit on the top.

They could easily be placed on a kitchen hob, so that you could have an
indoor barbi.

They were too heavy to bring one home. I'm wondering if anyone has seen
them for sale in the u.k.?

Or if anybody had adapted anything to make a miniature barbeque that one
could use indoors?

Oh yes, make it an obligatory celebratory occasion by order of the
Queen that every UKer light their indoor charcoal burner at midnight
of New Years Eve and crawl into bed... get rid of all yoose stench
breathed rotted teeth brit *******s in one fell swoop! G
Ahahahahahahaha. . . .
Old 05-12-2009, 03:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"sam coleridge" wrote:

In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten inches square, the
base being made from what i think was some kind of clay and had a
stainless
steel rack to sit on the top.

They could easily be placed on a kitchen hob, so that you could have an
indoor barbi.

They were too heavy to bring one home. I'm wondering if anyone has seen
them for sale in the u.k.?

Or if anybody had adapted anything to make a miniature barbeque that one
could use indoors?

Oh yes, make it an obligatory celebratory occasion by order of the
Queen that every UKer light their indoor charcoal burner at midnight
of New Years Eve and crawl into bed... get rid of all yoose stench
breathed rotted teeth brit *******s in one fell swoop! G
Ahahahahahahaha. . . .

Awwwwwwwww come on now SHELDUMB! You know you would miss me)

Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

"sam coleridge" wrote in message
In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten inches square, the
base being made from what i think was some kind of clay and had a

stainless
steel rack to sit on the top.

They could easily be placed on a kitchen hob, so that you could have an
indoor barbi.

They were too heavy to bring one home. I'm wondering if anyone has seen
them for sale in the u.k.?

Or if anybody had adapted anything to make a miniature barbeque that one
could use indoors in the kitchen placed on the gas hob?

If by barbeque you mean something that burns charcoal, there's a couple of
things to beware of. First, charcoal fires produce carbon monoxide, which
can be deadly. Second, a charcoal fire consumes oxygen, and in an enclosed
room the oxygen can be depleted below the concentration necessary to sustain
human life. In the US, about 25 people are killed each year from burning
charcoal indoors. See for instance
http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPA.../1195733793495 or
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/452.html

Old 05-12-2009, 03:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou wrote on Sat, 5 Dec 2009 10:43:43 -0500:

"sam coleridge" wrote in message
In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten
inches square, the base being made from what i think was some
kind of clay and had a

stainless
steel rack to sit on the top.

They could easily be placed on a kitchen hob, so that you
could have an indoor barbi.

They were too heavy to bring one home. I'm wondering if
anyone has seen them for sale in the u.k.?

Or if anybody had adapted anything to make a miniature
barbeque that one could use indoors in the kitchen placed on
the gas hob?

I have wood-burning fireplaces in my house and have sometimes used a
hibachi in one of them without incident.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 05-12-2009, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 10:01:31 -0500, brooklyn1 wrote:

"sam coleridge" wrote:

In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten inches square, the
base being made from what i think was some kind of clay and had a stainless
steel rack to sit on the top.

They could easily be placed on a kitchen hob, so that you could have an
indoor barbi.

They were too heavy to bring one home. I'm wondering if anyone has seen
them for sale in the u.k.?

Or if anybody had adapted anything to make a miniature barbeque that one
could use indoors?

Oh yes, make it an obligatory celebratory occasion by order of the
Queen that every UKer light their indoor charcoal burner at midnight
of New Years Eve and crawl into bed... get rid of all yoose stench
breathed rotted teeth brit *******s in one fell swoop! G
Ahahahahahahaha. . . .

wait, you don't like englishmen either? but they're white! many of them
are straight!

blake
Old 05-12-2009, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 8:21*am, "sam coleridge" wrote:
In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten inches square, the
base being made from what i think was some kind of clay and had a stainless
steel rack to sit on the top.

They could easily be placed on a kitchen hob, so that you could have an
indoor barbi.

They were too heavy to bring one home. *I'm wondering if anyone has seen
them for sale in the u.k.?

Or if anybody had adapted anything to make a miniature barbeque that one
could use indoors in the kitchen placed on the gas hob?

Most days are OK to use charcoal outside. I do it all the time here
in south western Ontario Canada. Every month of the year. You don't
need to be inside. Except for to eat.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

In message , sam coleridge
writes
In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten inches square, the
base being made from what i think was some kind of clay and had a stainless
steel rack to sit on the top.

They could easily be placed on a kitchen hob, so that you could have an
indoor barbi.

They were too heavy to bring one home. I'm wondering if anyone has seen
them for sale in the u.k.?

Or if anybody had adapted anything to make a miniature barbeque that one
could use indoors in the kitchen placed on the gas hob?

Have you never noticed the amount of smoke and burning fat generated by
a BBQ ?

--
geoff

Old 05-12-2009, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

In message , Lou
writes

[...]

That's the most positive reason for indoor BBQs I've come across yet

--
geoff
Old 05-12-2009, 05:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sam coleridge wrote:
In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten inches square, the
base being made from what i think was some kind of clay and had a stainless
steel rack to sit on the top.

They could easily be placed on a kitchen hob, so that you could have an
indoor barbi.

They were too heavy to bring one home. I'm wondering if anyone has seen
them for sale in the u.k.?

Or if anybody had adapted anything to make a miniature barbeque that one
could use indoors in the kitchen placed on the gas hob?

Sounds similar to a hibachi; to avoid the carbon monoxide issue, there
are electric versions for tabletom use:

http://www.bbq.com/

http://www.grillpower.com/article3.html

http://www.lumaoutdoorentertaining.c...s/hibachi.aspx

Lots more are just a search away...

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"Where large, expensive pieces of exotic woods are converted to valueless,
Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , sam coleridge
writes
In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten inches
square, the base being made from what i think was some kind of clay
and had a stainless steel rack to sit on the top.

They could easily be placed on a kitchen hob, so that you could have
an indoor barbi.

They were too heavy to bring one home. I'm wondering if anyone has
seen them for sale in the u.k.?

Or if anybody had adapted anything to make a miniature barbeque that
one could use indoors in the kitchen placed on the gas hob?

Have you never noticed the amount of smoke and burning fat generated
by a BBQ ?

Would that be why we use them outside Geoff?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y

Gary Heston wrote:

In article ,
sam coleridge wrote:
In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten inches square, the
base being made from what i think was some kind of clay and had a stainless
steel rack to sit on the top.

Sounds similar to a hibachi; to avoid the carbon monoxide issue, there
are electric versions for tabletom use:

Sounds to me like the little grills used for
Korean bulgogi, though he did say square,
and hibachis are usually square while the
Korean bulgogi grill is usually round.
They are usually used indoors, under a hood.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 16:32:20 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , sam coleridge
writes
In the far east recently I saw tiny barbeques about ten inches square, the
base being made from what i think was some kind of clay and had a stainless
steel rack to sit on the top.

They could easily be placed on a kitchen hob, so that you could have an
indoor barbi.

They were too heavy to bring one home. I'm wondering if anyone has seen
them for sale in the u.k.?

Or if anybody had adapted anything to make a miniature barbeque that one
could use indoors in the kitchen placed on the gas hob?

Have you never noticed the amount of smoke and burning fat generated by
a BBQ ?

This is when a really, really, really good exhaust fan comes in handy.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

indoor smoking Stormmee Barbecue 5 11-09-2009 03:36 AM
Barbeques BOB[_9_] General Cooking 0 29-06-2008 05:19 PM
Indoor grilltop? Mark L. General Cooking 12 22-10-2005 01:22 PM
Indoor grill? Larry G General Cooking 6 19-06-2005 12:22 PM
Indoor grill- Thanks to everyone SPOONS General Cooking 8 13-12-2003 02:51 AM