Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Guacamole

The Blue Shell Restaurant in Brownsville, TX is a Hispanic seafood
restaurant that is near the Texas-Mexico border. I ordered guacamole as
an appetizer. They delivered the avocados to the table in a molcajete,
with chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro and lime wedges on the
side. Salt was on the table. You could make the guac just like you
like it.

When I make it at home, here is how I like it:

2-3 avocados
chopped onion
roma tomato, seeded and chopped
lime juice
minced garlic, just a little
salt
fresh cilantro, if I have it

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Becca,
>
> That's about a spittin' image of my recipe!
>
> Roma is the best for the most pulp, fewest seeds. 1/3 large, fine minced,
> per large avo.
>
> Use fine-minced red onion, imho. 1 tablespoon per large avo.
>
> Nods to lime juice! Lemon is SO wrong.
>
> Glad they didn't include jalapenos, etc. Guac is, as long as I've known,
> meant as a cool dip.
>
> I'd add, let chill for at least one hour in the fridge to "let it all get
> together."
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Andy, I made guacamole the day before Thanksgiving and the onion was way
too strong, IMO. A red onion would have been much better than the one I
used.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> The Blue Shell Restaurant in Brownsville, TX is a Hispanic seafood
> restaurant that is near the Texas-Mexico border. I ordered guacamole as
> an appetizer. They delivered the avocados to the table in a molcajete,
> with chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro and lime wedges on the
> side. Salt was on the table. You could make the guac just like you
> like it.
>
> When I make it at home, here is how I like it:
>
> 2-3 avocados
> chopped onion
> roma tomato, seeded and chopped
> lime juice
> minced garlic, just a little
> salt
> fresh cilantro, if I have it
>

> Becca

I just mash Avocados with garlic and onion powder, then add a bit of
Pace medium picante sauce. ;-)

I cheat.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 3:20*pm, Becca > wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > Becca,

> > That's about a spittin' image of my recipe!

> > Roma is the best for the most pulp, fewest seeds. 1/3 large, fine minced,
> > per large avo.

> > Use fine-minced red onion, imho. 1 tablespoon per large avo.

> > Nods to lime juice! Lemon is SO wrong.

> > Glad they didn't include jalapenos, etc. Guac is, as long as I've known,
> > meant as a cool dip.

> > I'd add, let chill for at least one hour in the fridge to "let it all get
> > together."

> > Best,

> > Andy

> Andy, I made guacamole the day before Thanksgiving and the onion was way
> too strong, IMO. *A red onion would have been much better than the one I
> used.
>
> Becca

I always use a red onion and some good hot sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Becca > wrote:
>

>> The Blue Shell Restaurant in Brownsville, TX is a Hispanic seafood
>> restaurant that is near the Texas-Mexico border. I ordered guacamole as
>> an appetizer. They delivered the avocados to the table in a molcajete,
>> with chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro and lime wedges on the
>> side. Salt was on the table. You could make the guac just like you
>> like it.
>>
>> When I make it at home, here is how I like it:
>>
>> 2-3 avocados
>> chopped onion
>> roma tomato, seeded and chopped
>> lime juice
>> minced garlic, just a little
>> salt
>> fresh cilantro, if I have it
>>

>> Becca
>>

> I just mash Avocados with garlic and onion powder, then add a bit of
> Pace medium picante sauce. ;-)
>
> I cheat.

Om, I have used Pace picante if I was out of tomatoes. It works. :-)

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> > I just mash Avocados with garlic and onion powder, then add a bit of
> > Pace medium picante sauce. ;-)
> >
> > I cheat.
> >

> Om, I have used Pace picante if I was out of tomatoes. It works. :-)
>

> Becca

And it's good by itself... <g>

I use the medium.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 3:54*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Chemo the Clown > wrote :

> > d,

> > ,

> > et

> >> Andy, I made guacamole the day before Thanksgiving and the onion was
> >> way too strong, IMO. *A red onion would have been much better than
> >> the one

> >> used.

> >> Becca

> > I always use a red onion and some good hot sauce.

> Chemo,
>
> Unless it's for yourself only, do your guests a favor and put the hot
> sauces out on the side if they wish to add some, imho.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Well...I know my guests so I don't have to worry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 4:10*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Chemo the Clown > wrote :
>

> > On Dec 4, 3:54*pm, Andy > wrote:
> >> Chemo the Clown > wrote
> >> innews:5d99a5b3-4348-4958-85d3-a1d

> > :

> >> Chemo,

> >> Unless it's for yourself only, do your guests a favor and put the hot
> >> sauces out on the side if they wish to add some, imho.

> >> Best,

> >> Andy

> > Well...I know my guests so I don't have to worry.

> Chemo,

> I just can't "warm up" to spicy hot guacamole.
>
> MY problem, I know!...
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Well, you do have to be careful that you don't overdo it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Chemo,

> I just can't "warm up" to spicy hot guacamole.
>
> MY problem, I know!...
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

I enjoy hot food, but I do not want my guacamole to be hot. It should
be mellow, IMO. I eat my cheeseburgers loaded with jalapeños though, so
we are all different. lol

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 12:44*pm, Becca > wrote:
> The Blue Shell Restaurant in Brownsville, TX is a Hispanic seafood
> restaurant that is near the Texas-Mexico border. *I ordered guacamole as
> an appetizer. *They delivered the avocados to the table in a molcajete,
> with chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro and lime wedges on the
> side. *Salt was on the table. *You could make the guac just like you
> like it.
>
> When I make it at home, here is how I like it:
>
> 2-3 avocados
> chopped onion
> roma tomato, seeded and chopped
> lime juice
> minced garlic, just a little
> salt
> fresh cilantro, if I have it
>
> Becca

I like roasted garlic in mine, and will also add a bit of raw garlic,
for both dimensions of garlic flavor. The rest is right on--I like
black pepper in it, too.
Lime juice is a must in guacamole. Went to a so called mexican
restaurant (one where I'd eaten many times before but not in several
years) And there was no lime juice in it! It needed salt and pepper,
too. Mine was better. A splash of hot sauce adds acidity and balance.
Not enough that you taste "hot", but just a couple of drops. It's like
putting it in cheese sauce--that little bit is not discernible but you
miss it if it's not there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 6:03*pm, Andy > wrote:

> I've cheated worse. "Wholly Guacamole," on the boxed dips/add-ons cooler
> shelves in the vegetable section at the supermarket.
>
> For those times when the avos just ain't ripe enough at a moment's
> notice.
>
> Best,
>
> <--- (Andy) --->

So, how does this commercial stuff taste?? I've seen it at the
grocers but haven't taken the plunge yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 19:46:14 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann
> wrote:

>So, how does this commercial stuff taste?? I've seen it at the
>grocers but haven't taken the plunge yet.

I don't know what *his* commercial stuff is like, but I've tasted the
commercial stuff (not recently). I wouldn't complain about it except
it was too smooth for me. The only way I can describe it to you is
that it was like a *really* thick avocado milkshake. It was too
smooth, with no "character" to it. I am not someone who wants tomato
chunks (blech) in my guacamole, but I'd like some chunks of avocado in
it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 19:42:37 -0800 (PST), none of your business
> wrote:

>Lime juice is a must in guacamole.

I think lime juice is too strong and ruins the flavor.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> So, how does this commercial stuff taste?? I've seen it at the
> grocers but haven't taken the plunge yet.

I think that's the brand they have at Costco. It's pretty good,
there are chunks of avocado. Ripe avocados are hard to come
by where I live, so while fresh is better, it's not always that
easy.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
>> So, how does this commercial stuff taste?? I've seen it at the
>> grocers but haven't taken the plunge yet.

> I think that's the brand they have at Costco. It's pretty good,
> there are chunks of avocado. Ripe avocados are hard to come
> by where I live, so while fresh is better, it's not always that
> easy.

Aldi's is really good for prepared, but HOT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote
> it was too smooth for me. The only way I can describe it to you is
> that it was like a *really* thick avocado milkshake. It was too
> smooth, with no "character" to it.

oh gag!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 19:42:37 -0800 (PST), none of your business
> > wrote:
>
> >Lime juice is a must in guacamole.

> I think lime juice is too strong and ruins the flavor.

???? Not unless you use too much of it! If you are used to
doing guac. with lemon juice, and use the _same_ quantity of
lime juice, it probably will be "too strong". If you add the
lime gradually, up to the point that the acidity reaches your
preferred level, I _think_ that you will find the lime taste
preferable. I certainly do, and the remarks of others here
seem to bear that out. Lemon juice is OK if I don't have lime,
but it is distinctly a second choice. (The commercial product
that some have mentioned has neither -- it uses vinegar. Ack!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 04:46:03 -0600, Andy > wrote:

>Aldi's is really good for prepared, but HOT.
>

>There's an Aldi about 30 minutes away but it's in a sleezy, crime ridden
>part of another town. I don't envision myself shopping there. Ever!

If the part of town is as sleazy and crime ridden as you think it is,
Aldi won't be there much longer either. Stores only take so much loss
before leaving.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
>> So, how does this commercial stuff taste?? I've seen it at the
>> grocers but haven't taken the plunge yet.

> I think that's the brand they have at Costco. It's pretty good,
> there are chunks of avocado. Ripe avocados are hard to come
> by where I live, so while fresh is better, it's not always that
> easy.
>
> nancy

You might want to check out if you there are any small Hispanic markets
in your area. Generally you can get good avocados there and also items
such as tomatillos and various peppers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 13:27:14 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> I am not someone who wants tomato
>> chunks (blech) in my guacamole, but I'd like some chunks of avocado in
>> it.

> Whereas, I add homemade salsa to avocados, a little more lime juice
>and some salt and mash it all up. Yum!

Hubby likes it that way too. So, if he makes it, I eat it (I'm not
*that* picky). If I make it, he adds salsa. Fair enough.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks all!! I'll have to try the "Wholly Guacamole" and I've had a
coupon or two at times but just wasn't sure.

I'll also have to check out Aldi's.

Last year the neighbors across the street had a cook out for several
of us in the neighborhood. They had a HUGE bowl of guacamole prepared
and I couldn't wait to dive in, nice and chunky but it was a big
disappointment as it was sooooo darn bland. I'm not sure what they
left out, perhaps the lime or garlic but it would have passed as bland
baby food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Becca wrote:

> The Blue Shell Restaurant in Brownsville, TX is a Hispanic seafood
> restaurant that is near the Texas-Mexico border. I ordered guacamole as
> an appetizer. They delivered the avocados to the table in a molcajete,
> with chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro and lime wedges on the
> side. Salt was on the table. You could make the guac just like you
> like it.

Now that's pretty kewl <G>. I've never seen that anywhere, but I'm not
surprised it exists, especially in Brownsville. It's akin to 'some'
seafood restaurants having the mixin's on the table for diners to make
their own 'coctail' sauce*.

Sky

*Perhaps it's a 'Southern' custom?

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Guacamole James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 23 01-03-2013 12:04 AM
Guacamole Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 13 18-12-2012 07:47 AM
Guacamole Janet Wilder[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 16-05-2008 03:41 AM
Guacamole Dip Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 05-07-2006 02:08 AM
Guacamole Charles Gifford Mexican Cooking 16 14-03-2005 05:14 PM