Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Vegetable Soup ?

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:16:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>How would you make Chicken Vegetable Soup?
>
>Color me Curious Yellow.

I make a vegetable soup that uses chicken broth..does that count?

Christine, posting from the Terwilligers: smells good in here with the
duck bones roasting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Do you make it?

I make Vegetable Beef Soup starting with beef soup bones or shank bones
for the beef part. The vegetables component is some form of tomatoes,
onions, green peas, corn, green beans, carrots, celery; often some
barley.

I cook the beef bones in water for a couple hours with a bay leaf, some
peppercorns, onion, maybe some celery tops. I remove the beef and
bones, strain out the solids, and chill the broth to make de-fatting
easy.

I've never made what I would call Chicken Vegetable Soup. I make
chicken soup that is generally just broth over noodles, the carrots and
celery might be served in the bowl or they might not. Chicken might be
in the bowl for Rob; I prefer just broth and noodles (lots of noodles).

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 10:16*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> Do you make it? *
>
> I make Vegetable Beef Soup starting with beef soup bones or shank bones
> for the beef part. *The vegetables component is some form of tomatoes,
> onions, green peas, corn, green beans, carrots, celery; often some
> barley.
>
> I cook the beef bones in water for a couple hours with a bay leaf, some
> peppercorns, onion, maybe some celery tops. *I remove the beef and
> bones, strain out the solids, and chill the broth to make de-fatting
> easy.
>
> I've never made what I would call Chicken Vegetable Soup. *I make
> chicken soup that is generally just broth over noodles, the carrots and
> celery might be served in the bowl or they might not. *Chicken might be
> in the bowl for Rob; I prefer just broth and noodles (lots of noodles). *
>
> How would you make Chicken Vegetable Soup?
>
> Color me Curious Yellow.

One nice thing for broth is to use the backs, necks and (de-
kidneyfied) pelvises (pelvi?). I buy those 10# bags of leg quarters,
fry the drumsticks and the skin from the thighs, use the back/pelvis
part and the femur for broth, and then add the cut up thigh meat at
the end, maybe 30 minutes before soup's up time. I add some pre-
boiled carrots and celery, then some freshly cut up mushrooms, a
little pressed garlic, black pepper, some parsley, and if I'm feeling
motivated enough, homemade egg noodles. That's a heckuvalotta food
for not a lot of money.

For vegetable soup you'd merely add those other veggies you mentioned.

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Do you make it?
>
> I make Vegetable Beef Soup starting with beef soup bones or shank bones
> for the beef part. The vegetables component is some form of tomatoes,
> onions, green peas, corn, green beans, carrots, celery; often some
> barley.

Think "turkey carcass soup" but make it with chicken and you'll be on
the right track. :-)

I usually start with leg quarters. I roast a whole bag of 'em on a
rack (save the drippings; there's a lot of drippings) and make stock
from the skin and bones and gristle, with the drippings added back in.

If you have dried tomatoes, you can use those and they get soft but
still hold together nicely. It adds some color and flavor without
turning the broth red.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Do you make it?
> >
> > I make Vegetable Beef Soup starting with beef soup bones or shank bones
> > for the beef part. The vegetables component is some form of tomatoes,
> > onions, green peas, corn, green beans, carrots, celery; often some
> > barley.
> >

> Think "turkey carcass soup" but make it with chicken and you'll be on
> the right track. :-)
>
> I usually start with leg quarters. I roast a whole bag of 'em on a
> rack (save the drippings; there's a lot of drippings) and make stock
> from the skin and bones and gristle, with the drippings added back in.
>
> If you have dried tomatoes, you can use those and they get soft but
> still hold together nicely. It adds some color and flavor without
> turning the broth red.
>
> Bob

My problem, though, Bob, is that I don't do turkey carcass soup. Do you
use vegetables (like my list for my beef veg soup) in your soup? Sorry
to be a dim bulb here.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
10-30-2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 4, 8:16 am, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> [snip]
> I've never made what I would call Chicken Vegetable Soup. I make
> chicken soup that is generally just broth over noodles, the carrots and
> celery might be served in the bowl or they might not. Chicken might be
> in the bowl for Rob; I prefer just broth and noodles (lots of noodles).
>
> How would you make Chicken Vegetable Soup?
>
> Color me Curious Yellow.

My best chicken soups begin with a whole chicken. I'll make a stock
with the cut up chicken and aromatics--garlic, onion (optional: stick
a clove in it), celery, carrot, bay leaf, a slice of ginger,
peppercorns--and salt and a dash of sherry. Remove the chicken
breasts after 30-40 minutes, the legs and thighs and wings after 45-50
minutes. Then the stock continues to barely simmer for a total of
about two hours. At that point, strain the stock and discard all the
solids as they've given their all to the stock. Meanwhile, you've
boned and skinned the breast and cut it into bite-sized pieces. The
thighs too, while reserving the drumsticks and wings for other
purposes. Now you add the veggies to the stock for simmering whatever
is the right amount of time for each. They may include whatever seems
right at the time, such as chayote or zucchini, carrot, ears of corn
cut in quarters, green beans, bok choy, snowpeas, etc. Add the cut-up
chicken to heat the last five minutes or so. Garnish with spearmint
or hierbabuena or cilantro or parsley. To make it more substantial
you could put in diced potatoes or cooked rice.

Needless to say, you top up the simmering soup with hot water from
your electric kettle if it needs it, and you taste test several times
along the way. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:16:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
> >How would you make Chicken Vegetable Soup?
> >
> >Color me Curious Yellow.

> I make a vegetable soup that uses chicken broth..does that count?

Sure does count. So are you saying that your vegetable soup is about
like my beef veg soup in (maybe nearly) every way but using chicken for
the meat and the broth base?

Again, I hate to be a dim bulb here but I have never eaten chicken
vegetable soup with vegetables in it other than celery, carrot, and
onion (and those are large pieces of those vegetables, not really meant
for the bowl).
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
10-30-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Do you make it?
>
> I make Vegetable Beef Soup starting with beef soup bones or shank
> bones for the beef part. The vegetables component is some form of
> tomatoes, onions, green peas, corn, green beans, carrots, celery;
> often some barley.

Yes. Not with tomatoes, but green beans and peas and such.

Brian

--
Day 305 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Do you make it?

> Yes. Not with tomatoes, but green beans and peas and such.

> Brian

Thanks, Brian.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
10-30-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:16:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>> How would you make Chicken Vegetable Soup?
>>>
>>> Color me Curious Yellow.

>> I make a vegetable soup that uses chicken broth..does that count?

> Sure does count. So are you saying that your vegetable soup is about
> like my beef veg soup in (maybe nearly) every way but using chicken for
> the meat and the broth base?
>
> Again, I hate to be a dim bulb here but I have never eaten chicken
> vegetable soup with vegetables in it other than celery, carrot, and
> onion (and those are large pieces of those vegetables, not really meant
> for the bowl).

I make vegetable soup with either chicken or turkey stock. Strictly
speaking it isn't truly stock as it has pieces of meat in it too. I add
all sorts of veggies but don't usually add any sort of pasta. I
particularly like to add celery, bell pepper, onion, dehydrated New
Zealand spinach, mixed beans and peas, and pearl barley. Might just call
it stoup as it is often thick as stew.

We're expecting snow according to the weather heads, might just make
some stoup for dinner tonight. Snow! Bah! Humbug! Belongs up in Southern
Canada, not Loosyanna.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Dec 4, 8:16 am, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> > [snip]
> > I've never made what I would call Chicken Vegetable Soup. I make
> > chicken soup that is generally just broth over noodles, the carrots and
> > celery might be served in the bowl or they might not. Chicken might be
> > in the bowl for Rob; I prefer just broth and noodles (lots of noodles).
> >
> > How would you make Chicken Vegetable Soup?

> My best chicken soups begin with a whole chicken. I

(nice detailed recipe snipped)

Perfect! That's the info I was looking for. Thank you very much.
-Barb

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
10-30-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Do you make it?
>
> I make Vegetable Beef Soup starting with beef soup bones or shank bones
> for the beef part. The vegetables component is some form of tomatoes,
> onions, green peas, corn, green beans, carrots, celery; often some
> barley.
>
> I cook the beef bones in water for a couple hours with a bay leaf, some
> peppercorns, onion, maybe some celery tops. I remove the beef and
> bones, strain out the solids, and chill the broth to make de-fatting
> easy.
>
> I've never made what I would call Chicken Vegetable Soup. I make
> chicken soup that is generally just broth over noodles, the carrots and
> celery might be served in the bowl or they might not. Chicken might be
> in the bowl for Rob; I prefer just broth and noodles (lots of noodles).
>
> How would you make Chicken Vegetable Soup?
>
> Color me Curious Yellow.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
> 10-30-2009

I do a hearty vegetable soup with the turkey carcass because I feel that the
broth from the turkey is strong enough to stand up to multiple veggies of
your choice -- including the cabbage family. If I am cooking the chicken or
chicken parts for soup, I will only use a few carrots, onions and celery
with noodles. If I am doing a lite soup for a family member who has been
sick and is just coming off a fast, I will used canned chicken broth, a
carrot, 1/2 red bell pepper, 1 stalk celery and a can of diced tomatoes and
perhaps a can of kidney or some other bean -- something to make them feel
they are eating without overloading the gut.

A hearty turkey vegetable soup would be made with onions, celery, carrots,
cabbage, green beans, corn and potatoes. I don't often add tomatoes to my
veggie soup. Just the way that I grew up.

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> > Do you make it?

>> Yes. Not with tomatoes, but green beans and peas and such.

>> Brian

> Thanks, Brian.

I make mine with onions, garlic, diced carrots and potatoes. I always start
my stock with whole chicken too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:16:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Do you make it?
>
>I make Vegetable Beef Soup starting with beef soup bones or shank bones
>for the beef part. The vegetables component is some form of tomatoes,
>onions, green peas, corn, green beans, carrots, celery; often some
>barley.
>
>I cook the beef bones in water for a couple hours with a bay leaf, some
>peppercorns, onion, maybe some celery tops. I remove the beef and
>bones, strain out the solids, and chill the broth to make de-fatting
>easy.
>
>I've never made what I would call Chicken Vegetable Soup. I make
>chicken soup that is generally just broth over noodles, the carrots and
>celery might be served in the bowl or they might not. Chicken might be
>in the bowl for Rob; I prefer just broth and noodles (lots of noodles).
>
>How would you make Chicken Vegetable Soup?
>
>Color me Curious Yellow.

Don't get all ascared... I'm not going to give you a recipe for
chicken borscht. hehe

I like a chic-veg a la minestrone.

One of the easiest ways to learn what ingredients are typically found
in a particular dish is to check the ingredients lists on the
commercially prepared products and then expand to your own taste and
what ingredients you have available. There's no reason that a
chicken vegetable soup can't be tomato based too.

http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-t...table-soup.asp

Any chicken stew recipe can become a soup, mix n' match:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...hatori,FF.html

I also like an oriental chicken soup with lots of oriental veggies;
onion, garlic, bok choy, napa cabbage, snow peas, even shrimp and pork
too for house special version... w/sesame oil, ginger, white pepper,
and for yoose noodle lovers add lotsa wanton.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like a chicken gumbo soup. I call it gumbo soup rather than gumbo
because it isn't thickened. I use chicken broth, canned tomatoes
with the juice (Ro-tel is good in this), chicken, and frozen gumbo
vegetables (okra, corn, peppers, onions). Serve it over rice.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:59:13 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Sure does count. So are you saying that your vegetable soup is about
>like my beef veg soup in (maybe nearly) every way but using chicken for
>the meat and the broth base?
>
>Again, I hate to be a dim bulb here but I have never eaten chicken
>vegetable soup with vegetables in it other than celery, carrot, and
>onion (and those are large pieces of those vegetables, not really meant
>for the bowl).

Mine is minus chicken though...just the broth. The one I make is from
The Foods of the World: The Great West. It is called Dill Soup..but I
sometimes vary the herbs.
The vegetables include canned tomatoes, potatoes, green beans,
cauliflower and green peas, beside carrots, onion and celery. When it
is almost finished, a few sprigs of dill are added.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 17:20:33 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:59:13 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>

>>Sure does count. So are you saying that your vegetable soup is about
>>like my beef veg soup in (maybe nearly) every way but using chicken for
>>the meat and the broth base?
>>
>>Again, I hate to be a dim bulb here but I have never eaten chicken
>>vegetable soup with vegetables in it other than celery, carrot, and
>>onion (and those are large pieces of those vegetables, not really meant
>>for the bowl).

>Mine is minus chicken though...just the broth. The one I make is from
>The Foods of the World: The Great West. It is called Dill Soup..but I
>sometimes vary the herbs.
>The vegetables include canned tomatoes, potatoes, green beans,
>cauliflower and green peas, beside carrots, onion and celery. When it
>is almost finished, a few sprigs of dill are added.

I don't usually make turkey soup, but I did this year. I had about a
quart of turkey stock in the freezer that was left over from the gravy
making process to use as a base. I added a couple of cans of
Swanson's chicken broth and what little was left of the stuffing to
it. I let all of that simmer until the bread disintegrated (my
dressing was a combo of wheat bread and cornbread). I had "floaters"
of nuts and apple which I just scooped out because I was too lazy to
lift up a stick blender to whirl them in. After that I added some
chopped up onion, carrots cut into rounds and the last piece of
turkey, chunked up. I also put the last of the gravy into it. If I'd
had any of the infamous green bean casserole left, I would have dumped
it in too. OMG, it was sooo good! I'll do that again and maybe I'll
even add a splash of sherry.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:59:13 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

> >Sure does count. So are you saying that your vegetable soup is about
> >like my beef veg soup in (maybe nearly) every way but using chicken for
> >the meat and the broth base?
> >
> >Again, I hate to be a dim bulb here but I have never eaten chicken
> >vegetable soup with vegetables in it other than celery, carrot, and
> >onion (and those are large pieces of those vegetables, not really meant
> >for the bowl).

> Mine is minus chicken though...just the broth. The one I make is from
> The Foods of the World: The Great West. It is called Dill Soup..but I
> sometimes vary the herbs.
> The vegetables include canned tomatoes, potatoes, green beans,
> cauliflower and green peas, beside carrots, onion and celery. When it
> is almost finished, a few sprigs of dill are added.
>
> Christine

I'm fixin' to break in my new crock pot by making a turkey and vegetable
soup. Veggies to include onion, celery, carrot, radish, mushrooms and
okra. I also have some fresh herbs to add. I trimmed my garlic chives
yesterday and have those "trimmings" in a bag in the 'frige. I'll also
use some fresh Basil and Rosemary. The basil pots are in my bedroom
window to protect them from the frost, and the new pots of rosemary
weathered the freeze last night sitting outdoors on the rock sill next
to the front livingroom window. :-)

Should be an interesting "recipe" by the time I'm done with it. As much
as I love turkey leftovers, they will spoil if left too long and 7 days
is my max safety limit for cooked meat in the 'frige! Not much left, but
I did freeze the bones as we munched it. Just some breast meat left at
this point and I'll chop that and add it towards the end of the cook so
it won't be over done.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> I don't usually make turkey soup, but I did this year. I had about a
> quart of turkey stock in the freezer that was left over from the gravy
> making process to use as a base.

Oh, thanks for reminding me I have the roast turkey "drippings" in the
back 'frige to use for the soup! That should be good.

I need to get away from the computer and get to work on that soup. <g>
I just finished totally cleaning the stove top and all areas around it.
I even cleaned out the toaster as the crumb tray was over-full, and
scrubbed the walls behind everything, and the counters under the grill
and toaster.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> I don't usually make turkey soup, but I did this year. I had about a
>> quart of turkey stock in the freezer that was left over from the gravy
>> making process to use as a base.

> Oh, thanks for reminding me I have the roast turkey "drippings" in the
> back 'frige to use for the soup! That should be good.
>
> I need to get away from the computer and get to work on that soup. <g>
> I just finished totally cleaning the stove top and all areas around it.
> I even cleaned out the toaster as the crumb tray was over-full, and
> scrubbed the walls behind everything, and the counters under the grill
> and toaster.

Come on over, I'll feed and house you while you clean. <G> Actually I
did all that the day after Thanksgiving. We had turkey soup for lunch
today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 9:30*am, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *aem > wrote:
> (nice detailed recipe snipped)
>
> Perfect! *That's the info I was looking for. *Thank you very much. -Barb

aem, I so agree with Barb. I have two friends about that never cook
anything that can't be either microwaved or simply re-heated stove-
top. Their German mother/mother-in-law, Trudie, does all the "real"
cooking for the three of them, but the daughters will be left without
any of her wonderful meals while she has hip replacement surgery, to
include a few more weeks away in a recovery home setting. These girls
are both in their minor-fifties and have each raised families of two
boys. Both of them are single now, living nextdoor to one another.
The daughter-in-law is seriously diabetic (insulin shots four times
daily), does enjoy most all foods, but the daughter could be happiest
with nothing but soups each day. I have given thought to surprising
the girls with some simple to re-heat meals while Trudie is away, soup
being first on mind. Thank you so for your great offering, aem, I
have printed also!
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 13:05:59 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> I don't usually make turkey soup, but I did this year. I had about a
>> quart of turkey stock in the freezer that was left over from the gravy
>> making process to use as a base. I added a couple of cans of
>> Swanson's chicken broth and what little was left of the stuffing to
>> it. I let all of that simmer until the bread disintegrated (my
>> dressing was a combo of wheat bread and cornbread). I had "floaters"
>> of nuts and apple which I just scooped out because I was too lazy to
>> lift up a stick blender to whirl them in. After that I added some
>> chopped up onion, carrots cut into rounds and the last piece of
>> turkey, chunked up. I also put the last of the gravy into it. If I'd
>> had any of the infamous green bean casserole left, I would have dumped
>> it in too. OMG, it was sooo good! I'll do that again and maybe I'll
>> even add a splash of sherry.

> I make what I call an after Thanksgiving soup that is like that.
>
> I forgot to mention that I put some lemon juice and sometimes zest in
>my chicken/turkey soup. Usually potatoes, as well, but I like the idea
>of adding green beans also.

I had extra pasta from the turkey tetrazzini, so I added that and no
potatoes. I think the dressing and gravy was what made it taste so
darned good. I usually run out of gravy before I run out of anything
else, but not this year! I have to make twice as much gravy as I
think I'll need from now on. Lemon sounds like a nice addition that I
need to try the next time I make chicken soup, but I don't think it
would have gone well with the flavor of this particular soup.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't usually make turkey soup, but I did this year. I had about a
> >> quart of turkey stock in the freezer that was left over from the gravy
> >> making process to use as a base.

> > Oh, thanks for reminding me I have the roast turkey "drippings" in the
> > back 'frige to use for the soup! That should be good.
> >
> > I need to get away from the computer and get to work on that soup. <g>
> > I just finished totally cleaning the stove top and all areas around it.
> > I even cleaned out the toaster as the crumb tray was over-full, and
> > scrubbed the walls behind everything, and the counters under the grill
> > and toaster.

> Come on over, I'll feed and house you while you clean. <G>

The way _you_ cook, that'd be a deal! ;-)

> Actually I
> did all that the day after Thanksgiving. We had turkey soup for lunch
> today.

Good stuff maynard!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
Ranee at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> I make what I call an after Thanksgiving soup that is like that.
>
> I forgot to mention that I put some lemon juice and sometimes zest in
> my chicken/turkey soup. Usually potatoes, as well, but I like the idea
> of adding green beans also.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I thought about adding green beans, but decided that the Okra was
sufficient for green stuff. :-) I left it whole (just trimmed the stem
part) so it did not thicken the soup the way Okra will if you slice it.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: