Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

Default Batter, batter everywhere.

Looking for a "technique"....

Whenever I make cupcakes, or muffins,
I get batter everywhere.

It drips on the pans, it drips on the counter.

There's gotta be a better way to get it
from the mixing bowl to the muffin tin.

???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 9:19*am, "<RJ>" > wrote:
> Looking for a "technique"....
>
> Whenever I make cupcakes, or muffins,
> I get batter everywhere.
>
> It drips on the pans, it drips on the counter.
>
> There's gotta be a better way to get it
> from the mixing bowl to the muffin tin.
>
> ???

Pour and wipe the edge of the bowl with a spatula.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:
> Looking for a "technique"....
>
> Whenever I make cupcakes, or muffins,
> I get batter everywhere.
>
> It drips on the pans, it drips on the counter.
>
> There's gotta be a better way to get it
> from the mixing bowl to the muffin tin.
>
> ???

Try using an ice cream scoop to fill the muffin cups. That works well
for me.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 3, 9:19 am, "<RJ>" > wrote:
> Looking for a "technique"....
>
> Whenever I make cupcakes, or muffins,
> I get batter everywhere.
>
> It drips on the pans, it drips on the counter.
>
> There's gotta be a better way to get it
> from the mixing bowl to the muffin tin.
>
> ???

Use a bigger bowl so you don't toss the batter out of the bowl when
mixing it? Use a bowl with a pouring lip that doesn't drip? Wipe the
lip or the bowl edge with a spatula or paper towel when you finish
pouring? Dip the batter from the bowl to the tins with a ladle or
measuring cup (appropriately sized) that has a spout? Somehow I
suspect the real answer is, Slow Down. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:
> Looking for a "technique"....
>
> Whenever I make cupcakes, or muffins,
> I get batter everywhere.
>
> It drips on the pans, it drips on the counter.
>
> There's gotta be a better way to get it
> from the mixing bowl to the muffin tin.
>
> ???

I use a glass measuring cup with a small spout.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

How about using a large funnel? Put a finger over the spout and fill...
then fill the individual cups by removing and replacing your finger.

I got this method from watching the Amish make Funnel Cakes in PA.

OR - get the real thing... a Funnel Cake Pitcher

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/...2/p379272.aspx

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 12:19*pm, "<RJ>" > wrote:
> Looking for a "technique"....
>
> Whenever I make cupcakes, or muffins,
> I get batter everywhere.
>
> It drips on the pans, it drips on the counter.
>
> There's gotta be a better way to get it
> from the mixing bowl to the muffin tin.
>
> ???

I ladle batter into muffin tins. You can try using a beer pitcher or
some such and pouring.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"<RJ>" > wrote:

> Looking for a "technique"....
>
> Whenever I make cupcakes, or muffins,
> I get batter everywhere.
>
> It drips on the pans, it drips on the counter.
>
> There's gotta be a better way to get it
> from the mixing bowl to the muffin tin.
>
> ???

What is your current technique? Use a 1/2 cup measure to scoop the
batter and then slide the bottom of it across the edge of the bowl to
clean of any drips. Use a small spatula to aid in filling the muffin
tin from the measuring cup.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:
> Looking for a "technique"....
>
> Whenever I make cupcakes, or muffins,
> I get batter everywhere.
>
> It drips on the pans, it drips on the counter.
>
> There's gotta be a better way to get it
> from the mixing bowl to the muffin tin.

I use a big spoon and my finger. It works. How runny is you muffin
batter than it drips?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:
> Looking for a "technique"....
>
> Whenever I make cupcakes, or muffins,
> I get batter everywhere.
>
> It drips on the pans, it drips on the counter.
>
> There's gotta be a better way to get it
> from the mixing bowl to the muffin tin.
>
> ???

Put the empty tins and a newspaper sheet near the mixing bowl: take a tin
and bring it over the mixing bowl, use a ladle to fill the tin keeping the
tin always over the bowl, so eventual drops will fall back into the bowl.
When a tin is filled, place it on the newspaper sheet. When you've all the
tins filled, clean the dripped ones with a wet sponge and move them all on
the baking pan.
If you mess also with these precautions, I'm at a loss.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:46:06 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "<RJ>" > wrote:
>
>> Looking for a "technique"....
>>
>> Whenever I make cupcakes, or muffins,
>> I get batter everywhere.
>>
>> It drips on the pans, it drips on the counter.
>>
>> There's gotta be a better way to get it
>> from the mixing bowl to the muffin tin.
>>
>> ???

>What is your current technique? Use a 1/2 cup measure to scoop the
>batter and then slide the bottom of it across the edge of the bowl to
>clean of any drips. Use a small spatula to aid in filling the muffin
>tin from the measuring cup.

Sheesh... measuring cups, spoons, scoops, spatulas, shovels, hammers,
chisels, screwdrivers, wrenches... what's wrong with yoose people,
SHEESH!

Professional bakers use the same tool they use to mix their batter...
their hand... scoop a handful of batter from the mixing bowl by
scraping the heel of the hand up the side of the bowl and then squeeze
the batter into the muffin cup with one deft squeeze... with a little
practice one will be filling muffins at a rate of a dozen in under a
minute, every one the same size, not a drip anywhere, and muffin
batter only on the palm of one hand. Pro bakers fill cake pans the
same... there is no better tool than the human hand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> Professional bakers use the same tool they use to mix their batter...
> their hand... scoop a handful of batter from the mixing bowl by
> scraping the heel of the hand up the side of the bowl and then squeeze
> the batter into the muffin cup with one deft squeeze... with a little
> practice one will be filling muffins at a rate of a dozen in under a
> minute, every one the same size, not a drip anywhere, and muffin
> batter only on the palm of one hand. Pro bakers fill cake pans the
> same... there is no better tool than the human hand.

That is pretty old school. I've seen it done buy a couple of bakers and
it was fun to watch, but actually, for mass baking, the method is too
slow, even at a dozen a minute.

Most commercial bakeries use a gadget like the ones on this page:

http://www.restaurantequipment.com/batter.html

These hold a lot of batter, can be calibrated to pour the same amount of
batter every time and are VERY fast to use.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

>brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Professional bakers use the same tool they use to mix their batter...
>> their hand... scoop a handful of batter from the mixing bowl by
>> scraping the heel of the hand up the side of the bowl and then squeeze
>> the batter into the muffin cup with one deft squeeze... with a little
>> practice one will be filling muffins at a rate of a dozen in under a
>> minute, every one the same size, not a drip anywhere, and muffin
>> batter only on the palm of one hand. Pro bakers fill cake pans the
>> same... there is no better tool than the human hand.

>That is pretty old school. I've seen it done buy a couple of bakers and
>it was fun to watch, but actually, for mass baking, the method is too
>slow, even at a dozen a minute.

I don't believe you've ever seen it done... I don't believe you've
ever seen a professional baker, not ever.

>Most commercial bakeries use a gadget.

Those kind of commercial bakeries don't employ professional bakers...
they hire personnel tantamount to fast food burger flippers... now you
may resume your mental masturbation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> George Leppla wrote:
>
>> brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> Professional bakers use the same tool they use to mix their batter...
>>> their hand... scoop a handful of batter from the mixing bowl by
>>> scraping the heel of the hand up the side of the bowl and then squeeze
>>> the batter into the muffin cup with one deft squeeze... with a little
>>> practice one will be filling muffins at a rate of a dozen in under a
>>> minute, every one the same size, not a drip anywhere, and muffin
>>> batter only on the palm of one hand. Pro bakers fill cake pans the
>>> same... there is no better tool than the human hand.

>> That is pretty old school. I've seen it done buy a couple of bakers and
>> it was fun to watch, but actually, for mass baking, the method is too
>> slow, even at a dozen a minute.

> I don't believe you've ever seen it done... I don't believe you've
> ever seen a professional baker, not ever.

Sheldon, what makes you think that I care what you believe?

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:29:35 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>brooklyn1 wrote:
>> George Leppla wrote:

>>> That is pretty old school. I've seen it done buy a couple of bakers and
>>> it was fun to watch, but actually, for mass baking, the method is too
>>> slow, even at a dozen a minute.

>> I don't believe you've ever seen it done... I don't believe you've
>> ever seen a professional baker, not ever.

>Sheldon, what makes you think that I care what you believe?
>
>George L

Of course you care what I believe about you (BIG TIME) or you'd not
have responded with your mental masturbation. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 12:19*pm, "<RJ>" > wrote:
> Looking for a "technique"....
>
> Whenever I make cupcakes, or muffins,
> I get batter everywhere.
>
> It drips on the pans, it drips on the counter.
>
> There's gotta be a better way to get it
> from the mixing bowl to the muffin tin.
>
> ???

I use a large spoon, and hold the batter filled bowl right over the
muffin tins, spoon up a portion and wipe bottom of spoon on edge of
the bowl. Then let it 'drip' into the tin, or, if it's thick, push
with index finger. Then I use a rubber spat or bowl scraper to get
out the last bit of batter.

Maybe you're just rushing a bit?

I used to cringe when Debbie Field, I think it was, used to ladle out
her batter so fast, it flew everywhere. She was NOT a neat tv cook.
What ever happened to her/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"" wrote:

> Looking for a "technique"....
>
> Whenever I make cupcakes, or muffins,
> I get batter everywhere.
>
> It drips on the pans, it drips on the counter.
>
> There's gotta be a better way to get it
> from the mixing bowl to the muffin tin.
>
> ???

Get a bowl with a spout, often called, amazingly enough, a batter bowl
Otherwise use a soup ladle with a spout. Or an oval serving spoon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:44:03 -0500, brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:29:35 -0600, George Leppla
> > wrote:
>
>>brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> I don't believe you've ever seen it done... I don't believe you've
>>> ever seen a professional baker, not ever.

>>Sheldon, what makes you think that I care what you believe?
>>
>>George L

> Of course you care what I believe about you (BIG TIME) or you'd not
> have responded with your mental masturbation. LOL

hmm, second time in the space of half an hour you've referenced mental
masturbation. well, not everyone has your peerless skills in real
masturbation.

blake

using batter Jordon General Cooking 2 20-09-2010 03:55 PM
using batter Jordon Vegan 2 20-09-2010 03:55 PM
Batter vs. Dough At what point does a batter become a dough or does a dough become a batter? Richard Hollenbeck Baking 3 15-12-2006 01:31 AM
Batter Pro The Wolf General Cooking 18 28-12-2004 10:27 PM
Egg Batter Hahabogus Diabetic 0 09-11-2004 02:46 PM