Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jill, thanks for the cauliflower recipe

I made your cauliflower au gratin on Wednesday, into the fridge
overnight and reheated it yesterday to raves. Excellent recipe,
particularly the stiff sauce which bound deliciously to the little
florets and kept them moist and tasty through what in effect
was a double cooking. I found orange cauliflower at the local
Publix and used that; very subtle but distinct flavor difference,
a touch sweeter and more full flavored. We all appreciated your
having posted it.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 10:21*am, "pavane" > wrote:
> I made your cauliflower au gratin on Wednesday, into the fridge
> overnight and reheated it yesterday to raves. *Excellent recipe,
> particularly the stiff sauce which bound deliciously to the little
> florets and kept them moist and tasty through what in effect
> was a double cooking. *I found orange cauliflower at the local
> Publix and used that; very subtle but distinct flavor difference,
> a touch sweeter and more full flavored. We all appreciated your
> having posted it.
>
> pavane

This is more a hijack than comment. Your recipe looked so good that I
put the ingredients on
a grocery list. DH didn't know what Gruyere cheese was, and tried 4
groceries before he found
it. Then because there was no price listed where he found the cheese,
he decided to get 2 so we'd have
it on hand. What a shock to him at the register - $16. per pound. He
did get both 8 oz pieces. Bless
him, he's so good with a grocery list. Always comes home with the
bacon, er, um, cheese.
We haven't tried the casserole yet, but it will happen this weekend!!!
Glad it was so good Pavane, and thanks Jill for posting it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:

> I made your cauliflower au gratin on Wednesday, into the fridge
> overnight and reheated it yesterday to raves. Excellent recipe,
> particularly the stiff sauce which bound deliciously to the little
> florets and kept them moist and tasty through what in effect
> was a double cooking. I found orange cauliflower at the local
> Publix and used that; very subtle but distinct flavor difference,
> a touch sweeter and more full flavored. We all appreciated your
> having posted it.

Yes, that's a very good recipe, and almost identical to the one Mom uses to
do now and then. Cauliflowers have always been a sad food to me but with
that recipe they turn into something really wonderful. And when we're going
to have just the gratin for a meal, Mom adds some roughly shredded sausage,
after having partly cooked them apart.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message
>I made your cauliflower au gratin on Wednesday, into the fridge
> overnight and reheated it yesterday to raves. Excellent recipe,
> particularly the stiff sauce which bound deliciously to the little
> florets and kept them moist and tasty through what in effect
> was a double cooking. I found orange cauliflower at the local
> Publix and used that; very subtle but distinct flavor difference,
> a touch sweeter and more full flavored. We all appreciated your
> having posted it.
>
> pavane

You're quite welcome! I combined cauliflower with broccoli florets this
time (another poster mentioned that). I've had that recipe for years; it's
also been years since I made it

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "pavane" > wrote in message
>>I made your cauliflower au gratin on Wednesday, into the fridge
>> overnight and reheated it yesterday to raves. Excellent recipe,
>> particularly the stiff sauce which bound deliciously to the little
>> florets and kept them moist and tasty through what in effect
>> was a double cooking. I found orange cauliflower at the local
>> Publix and used that; very subtle but distinct flavor difference,
>> a touch sweeter and more full flavored. We all appreciated your
>> having posted it.
>>
>> pavane
>>

> You're quite welcome! I combined cauliflower with broccoli florets this
> time (another poster mentioned that). I've had that recipe for years;
> it's also been years since I made it

I made it yesterday. I picked up a HUGE head of cauliflower on Wednesday
but didn't need it for TG dinner and when I saw the recipe, saved it. I had
to sub the cheese, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> You're quite welcome! I combined cauliflower with broccoli florets this
> time (another poster mentioned that). I've had that recipe for years;
> it's also been years since I made it
>
> Jill

Cauliflower Gratin?? Rather pedestrian fare around here.

But good to see you're 'living on the edge' and using broccoli with it as
well.

IIRC... about 14 years ago, on the one and only time that we've every
bought a turkey..... I had to make a turkey and broccoli "gratin" with the
plethora of turkey leftovers, but over here, and it seems over there, it's
really called a *Mornay*.

A white cheese sauce over leftover meat/veges.

My pooch likes it. The SO and myself, no so much.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "pavane" > wrote in message
>> I made your cauliflower au gratin on Wednesday, into the fridge
>> overnight and reheated it yesterday to raves. Excellent recipe,
>> particularly the stiff sauce which bound deliciously to the little
>> florets and kept them moist and tasty through what in effect
>> was a double cooking. I found orange cauliflower at the local
>> Publix and used that; very subtle but distinct flavor difference,
>> a touch sweeter and more full flavored. We all appreciated your
>> having posted it.
>>
>> pavane
>>

> You're quite welcome! I combined cauliflower with broccoli florets this
> time (another poster mentioned that). I've had that recipe for years;
> it's also been years since I made it
>
> Jill

I'll bet your septic tank hasn't see that much action in decades! Nice!

Rob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:

> IIRC... about 14 years ago, on the one and only time that we've every
> bought a turkey..... I had to make a turkey and broccoli "gratin"
> with the plethora of turkey leftovers, but over here, and it seems
> over there, it's really called a *Mornay*.
>
> A white cheese sauce over leftover meat/veges.

On this NG I learned that Mornay auce is essentially a bechamel sauce with
some added cheese, wherever you put it.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in -
september.org:

> PeterL wrote:
>
>> IIRC... about 14 years ago, on the one and only time that we've every
>> bought a turkey..... I had to make a turkey and broccoli "gratin"
>> with the plethora of turkey leftovers, but over here, and it seems
>> over there, it's really called a *Mornay*.
>>
>> A white cheese sauce over leftover meat/veges.

> On this NG I learned that Mornay auce is essentially a bechamel sauce

with
> some added cheese, wherever you put it.

Seems there's quite a few words for the one 'evil' :-)

Mornay is for family and friends.

Bechamel is for trying to impress the neighbours.

Au Gratin is for when you're trying to kiss your bosses arse.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
> PeterL wrote:
>

>>IIRC... about 14 years ago, on the one and only time that we've every
>>bought a turkey..... I had to make a turkey and broccoli "gratin"
>>with the plethora of turkey leftovers, but over here, and it seems
>>over there, it's really called a *Mornay*.
>>
>>A white cheese sauce over leftover meat/veges.

> On this NG I learned that Mornay sauce is essentially a bechamel sauce with
> some added cheese, wherever you put it.

Yes but how many people think a bechamel is just a 'white sauce' butter,
flour and liquid?

And of course a cordon bleu Mornay sauce will be made with the cooking
liquid of the food it is to be served with, fish stock if serving it
over fish and "when mornay sauce is required for dishes other than for
fish, the preparation is the same except that the fish cooking liquor is
replaced by cooking liquor from the dish under preparation or milk as
the case may be."
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:

> Seems there's quite a few words for the one 'evil' :-)
>
> Mornay is for family and friends.
>
> Bechamel is for trying to impress the neighbours.
>
> Au Gratin is for when you're trying to kiss your bosses arse.

Well, I just call it cheese sauce. What does that make me? <G>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dora" > wrote:

> PeterL wrote:
>
> > Seems there's quite a few words for the one 'evil' :-)
> >
> > Mornay is for family and friends.
> >
> > Bechamel is for trying to impress the neighbours.
> >
> > Au Gratin is for when you're trying to kiss your bosses arse.

> Well, I just call it cheese sauce. What does that make me? <G>

Not much of a Francophile?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > wrote in :

> PeterL wrote:
>
>> Seems there's quite a few words for the one 'evil' :-)
>>
>> Mornay is for family and friends.
>>
>> Bechamel is for trying to impress the neighbours.
>>
>> Au Gratin is for when you're trying to kiss your bosses arse.

> Well, I just call it cheese sauce. What does that make me? <G>

Normal :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:

>> On this NG I learned that Mornay sauce is essentially a bechamel
>> sauce with some added cheese, wherever you put it.

> Yes but how many people think a bechamel is just a 'white sauce'
> butter, flour and liquid?

Very many people and they are right, because bechamel is just butter, flour
and milk.
And Mornay sauce is bechamel plus cheese and, as I discover today, egg yolk.
Then one can shove anything in theyr sauces and call them as one likes, but
bechamel IS just a sauce (mine is not white) with milk and roux.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > wrote in message
> PeterL wrote:
>
>> Seems there's quite a few words for the one 'evil' :-)
>>
>> Mornay is for family and friends.
>>
>> Bechamel is for trying to impress the neighbours.
>>
>> Au Gratin is for when you're trying to kiss your bosses arse.

> Well, I just call it cheese sauce. What does that make me? <G>

Non pretentious?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
> Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:
>

>>>On this NG I learned that Mornay sauce is essentially a bechamel
>>>sauce with some added cheese, wherever you put it.

>>Yes but how many people think a bechamel is just a 'white sauce'
>>butter, flour and liquid?

> Very many people and they are right, because bechamel is just butter, flour
> and milk.

Sauce BŽchamel

To make 1 & 3/8 gallon

1 lb. 7 oz white roux, using 11 oz clarified butter and 12 & 1.2 oz
sifted four.

1 & 3/8 gal. boiling milk

11 oz. lean veal

2 finely sliced small onions

1 sprig thyme

2 oz butter

pinch of coarsely ground pepper

pinch of nutmeg

1 oz salt.

Make the roux in the normal manner and allow to cool.

Mix the milk into the roux so as to obtain a smooth sauce and bring to
boiling point.

Meanwhile, cut the veal into small cubes and stew with butter without
coloring, adding the onions, seasonings and thyme; place into the sauce.

Allow to simmer gently for 2 hours and pass through a fine strainer.
Coat the sauce with butter to prevent the formation of a skin.

Notes:

1) If the bŽchamel is to be used for meatless dishes the veal should be
omitted but the flavorings, as indicated should still be included.

2) It is possible to make the sauce more quickly in the following
manner: bring the milk to the boil with the onion and seasonings, cover
and allow to infuse for 10 minutes. Strain the milk on to the roux,
mix, bring to the boil and allow to simmer gently for 15 - 20 minutes.

----

And just FYI, why is sauce BŽchamel called "BŽchamel"? if it were just
flour, butter and milk why would it be named after Louis de BŽchamel.

And if you are going to argue that a bŽchamel sauce is just a veloute
with extra flavorings, then what about the meat?

> And Mornay sauce is bechamel plus cheese and, as I discover today, egg yolk.
> Then one can shove anything in theyr sauces and call them as one likes, but
> bechamel IS just a sauce (mine is not white) with milk and roux.

The historicity of the name bŽchamel is debatable, but at the
very least a meat flavor, preferably veal, is part of a bŽchamel
sauce, unless its a lenten bŽchamel and then there are still all the
other flavorings traditionally used to make the BŽchamel
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:

> The historicity of the name bŽchamel is debatable, but at the
> very least a meat flavor, preferably veal, is part of a bŽchamel
> sauce, unless its a lenten bŽchamel and then there are still all the
> other flavorings traditionally used to make the BŽchamel

Simply wrong:

"La sauce béchamel est une sauce blanche préparée avec de la crème ou du
lait, de la farine et de quelques dés de beurre, utilisée comme base en
cuisine."
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauce_b%C3%A9chamel

Then you can add what you want but the basic beahcmel is just that, a base
sauce made with milk, flour and butter.
Where did you find that absurd recipe you posted as "bechamel"? That's a a
totally different sauce, based on bechamel bot not *being* bechamel.
Or would you still call "catchup" a cup of catchup mixed with a cup of
mayonnaise?
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
> Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:
>

>>The historicity of the name bŽchamel is debatable, but at the
>>very least a meat flavor, preferably veal, is part of a bŽchamel
>>sauce, unless its a lenten bŽchamel and then there are still all the
>>other flavorings traditionally used to make the BŽchamel

> Simply wrong:
>
> "La sauce béchamel est une sauce blanche préparée avec de la crème ou du
> lait, de la farine et de quelques dés de beurre, utilisée comme base en
> cuisine."
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauce_b%C3%A9chamel

Oh right, "wiki" there's a bona fide source of haute cuisine info for
you, all hail the great, wise, all knowing wikipedia

> Then you can add what you want but the basic beahcmel is just that, a base
> sauce made with milk, flour and butter.
> Where did you find that absurd recipe

Auguste Esscoffier "Le Guide Culinaire" Cracknell and Kaufman trans.

Might i also suggest you read the Larusse Gastronomique entry on both
Louis de Bechamel (Marquise de Nointel) and the sauce named after him.

Where in you will find more compelling evidence (even if only anecdotal)
to support you supposition than anything on "wiki".

"The old Duke d'Escars said: 'That fellow Bechameil has all the luck. I
was serving breast of chicken a la creme twenty years before he was
born, yet, as you can see, i have never yet had the chance of giving my
name to the most insiginificant of sauces!"

> you posted as "bechamel"? That's a a
> totally different sauce, based on bechamel bot not *being* bechamel.
> Or would you still call "catchup" a cup of catchup mixed with a cup of
> mayonnaise?

Nope i would call that "Russian Dressing"

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:

> Might i also suggest you read the Larusse Gastronomique entry on both
> Louis de Bechamel (Marquise de Nointel) and the sauce named after him.
>
> Where in you will find more compelling evidence (even if only
> anecdotal) to support you supposition than anything on "wiki".

Mine is not a supposition based only on wiki, mine is a knowledge which is
widespread and predominat across nowadays France and nowadays Italy. You can
stick to decades old tales if you want, but today in Italy and France
"bechamel" is just milk, butter and flour.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
> Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:
>
>> Might i also suggest you read the Larusse Gastronomique entry on
>> both
>> Louis de Bechamel (Marquise de Nointel) and the sauce named after
>> him. Where in you will find more compelling evidence (even if only
>> anecdotal) to support you supposition than anything on "wiki".

> Mine is not a supposition based only on wiki, mine is a knowledge
> which is widespread and predominat across nowadays France and
> nowadays Italy. You can stick to decades old tales if you want, but
> today in Italy and France "bechamel" is just milk, butter and flour.

Yes - and I call it white sauce. My life is simpler that way. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rob" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> "pavane" > wrote in message
>>> I made your cauliflower au gratin on Wednesday, into the fridge
>>> overnight and reheated it yesterday to raves. Excellent recipe,
>>> particularly the stiff sauce which bound deliciously to the little
>>> florets and kept them moist and tasty through what in effect
>>> was a double cooking. I found orange cauliflower at the local
>>> Publix and used that; very subtle but distinct flavor difference,
>>> a touch sweeter and more full flavored. We all appreciated your
>>> having posted it.
>>>
>>> pavane
>>>

>> You're quite welcome! I combined cauliflower with broccoli florets this
>> time (another poster mentioned that). I've had that recipe for years;
>> it's also been years since I made it
>>
>> Jill

> I'll bet your septic tank hasn't see that much action in decades! Nice!
>
> Rob

You're really showing your redneck roots here, dude. Maybe you have a porta
potty in your front yard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:

> Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:
>

> >Might i also suggest you read the Larusse Gastronomique entry on both
> >Louis de Bechamel (Marquise de Nointel) and the sauce named after him.
> >
> >Where in you will find more compelling evidence (even if only
> >anecdotal) to support you supposition than anything on "wiki".

> Mine is not a supposition based only on wiki, mine is a knowledge
> which is
> widespread and predominat across nowadays France and nowadays Italy.
> You can
> stick to decades old tales if you want, but today in Italy and France
> "bechamel" is just milk, butter and flour.

Ok, i mean, what do i know? and why/how/do i know it?

I thought a bechamle had to have an onion boiled in milk at least?

Then of course one adds garlic and roux and wine, veal and etc. A
l'Bechamel.

I mean fer goodness sakes, Pasta Alfredo is primarily a "white" or cream
sauce.

Bechamel usualy dont have lemon in it

Is a mention of asbestos knickers being currently worn too old a joke to
be funny anymore?
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>"Rob" > wrote in message
m...
>> jmcquown wrote:

G'day Jill,

Somehow I managed to miss your recipe and googling hasn't revealed it
to me. Would you mind posting it again, please? Or, if you don't
want to duplicate it here, perhaps you could email a copy to me
please? (My addy should work okay, given the obvious editing.) TIA.

Incidentally, the first time I met some sort of "cheesy cauliflower"
as a main meal was nearly 50 years ago when a mate and I had dinner
one Friday evening at the flat of one of his older sisters. They were
good Micks, and in those days that meant "fish on Fridays" -- or at
least no meat from four legged critters -- hence the vegetarian meal.
I don't think I had ever eaten a vegetarian dinner before that
evening, and I was bloody surprised it could be done and still be very
edible. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phred" > wrote in message
> G'day Jill,
>
> Somehow I managed to miss your recipe and googling hasn't revealed it
> to me. Would you mind posting it again, please? Or, if you don't
> want to duplicate it here, perhaps you could email a copy to me
> please? (My addy should work okay, given the obvious editing.) TIA.
>
> Incidentally, the first time I met some sort of "cheesy cauliflower"
> as a main meal was nearly 50 years ago when a mate and I had dinner
> one Friday evening at the flat of one of his older sisters. They were
> good Micks, and in those days that meant "fish on Fridays" -- or at
> least no meat from four legged critters -- hence the vegetarian meal.
> I don't think I had ever eaten a vegetarian dinner before that
> evening, and I was bloody surprised it could be done and still be very
> edible. ;-)
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> LID

I missed it too. Could you repost it for Phred and I?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phyllis Stone wrote:

>> Somehow I managed to miss your recipe and googling hasn't revealed it
>> to me. Would you mind posting it again, please? Or, if you don't

> I missed it too. Could you repost it for Phred and I?

Here you a

This will be a side dish to go along with the duck on Thanksgiving.

Cauliflower au Gratin

1 medium sized head of cauliflower
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
1 c. milk
8 oz. gruyere cheese, shredded
a pinch or two of ground nutmeg
1/4 c. breadcrumbs lightly tossed with melted butter
pepper

Cut the cauliflower into florets and steam over salted water until fork
tender. Place in a buttered baking dish and set aside.

Prepare a basic bechamel by whisking together melted butter with flour then
stirring in milk until the sauce is thickened and smooth. Remove the sauce
from the heat. Add the nutmeg and pepper and gradually stir in about half
of the cheese until it's melted.

Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower in the baking dish. Combine
buttered breadcrumbs with the remaining cheese and sprinkle it over the top.
Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

Jill

--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > wrote in message
> PeterL wrote:
>
>> Seems there's quite a few words for the one 'evil' :-)
>>
>> Mornay is for family and friends.
>>
>> Bechamel is for trying to impress the neighbours.
>>
>> Au Gratin is for when you're trying to kiss your bosses arse.

> Well, I just call it cheese sauce. What does that make me? <G>

I have no idea what Peter is talking about. Au gratin is cooking a term,
it's not designed to impress anyone.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 08:34:23 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Dora" > wrote in message
>> PeterL wrote:
>>
>>> Seems there's quite a few words for the one 'evil' :-)
>>>
>>> Mornay is for family and friends.
>>>
>>> Bechamel is for trying to impress the neighbours.
>>>
>>> Au Gratin is for when you're trying to kiss your bosses arse.

>> Well, I just call it cheese sauce. What does that make me? <G>

Infatuated with having your head up your bosses ass. <G>

And Au Gratin has nothing to do with sauce... Au Gratin refers to a
browned topping of cheese and/or crumbs.

>I have no idea what Peter is talking about. Au gratin is cooking a term,
>it's not designed to impress anyone.
>
>Jill

gratin; gratinée
[GRAH-tn (Fr. , gra-TAN , ), grah-tee-NAY]
A gratin is any dish that is topped with cheese or bread crumbs mixed
with bits of butter, then heated in the oven or under the broiler
until brown and crispy. The terms au gratin or gratinée refer to any
dish prepared in such a manner. Special round or oval gratin pans and
dishes are ovenproof and shallow, which increases a dish's surface
area, thereby insuring a larger crispy portion for each serving.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "ViLco" > wrote:
>Phyllis Stone wrote:
>
>>> Somehow I managed to miss your recipe and googling hasn't revealed it
>>> to me. Would you mind posting it again, please? Or, if you don't

>> I missed it too. Could you repost it for Phred and I?

>Here you a

Thanks very much ViLco! Looks like a good brew.

>This will be a side dish to go along with the duck on Thanksgiving.
>
>Cauliflower au Gratin
>
>1 medium sized head of cauliflower
>2 Tbs. butter
>2 Tbs. flour
>1 c. milk
>8 oz. gruyere cheese, shredded
>a pinch or two of ground nutmeg
>1/4 c. breadcrumbs lightly tossed with melted butter
>pepper
>
>Cut the cauliflower into florets and steam over salted water until fork
>tender. Place in a buttered baking dish and set aside.
>
>Prepare a basic bechamel by whisking together melted butter with flour then
>stirring in milk until the sauce is thickened and smooth. Remove the sauce
>from the heat. Add the nutmeg and pepper and gradually stir in about half
>of the cheese until it's melted.
>
>Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower in the baking dish. Combine
>buttered breadcrumbs with the remaining cheese and sprinkle it over the top.
>Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
>
>Jill

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:7nshfiF3n4pngU1
@mid.individual.net:

> "Dora" > wrote in message
>> PeterL wrote:
>>
>>> Seems there's quite a few words for the one 'evil' :-)
>>>
>>> Mornay is for family and friends.
>>>
>>> Bechamel is for trying to impress the neighbours.
>>>
>>> Au Gratin is for when you're trying to kiss your bosses arse.

>> Well, I just call it cheese sauce. What does that make me? <G>

> I have no idea what Peter is talking about. Au gratin is cooking a

term,
> it's not designed to impress anyone.

And just how, exactly, do you cook a term??

And what do terms taste like?

Methinks you know as much about cooking as you do about travelling through
Singapore, Malaysia, and Penang.

Zip, nada, zilch, zero, squat.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Dora" > wrote in message
> > PeterL wrote:
> >
> >> Seems there's quite a few words for the one 'evil' :-)
> >>
> >> Mornay is for family and friends.
> >>
> >> Bechamel is for trying to impress the neighbours.
> >>
> >> Au Gratin is for when you're trying to kiss your bosses arse.

> > Well, I just call it cheese sauce. What does that make me? <G>

> I have no idea what Peter is talking about. Au gratin is cooking a term,
> it's not designed to impress anyone.

I disagree. Who would make a dish called "Crummy Cauliflower"?
"Cauliflower au Gratin" sounds much more impressive, even though it
means about the same.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote in news:dabel-FDD706.19355804122009@c-61-
68-245-199.per.connect.net.au:

> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:

>> > Well, I just call it cheese sauce. What does that make me? <G>

>> I have no idea what Peter is talking about. Au gratin is cooking a

term,
>> it's not designed to impress anyone.

> I disagree. Who would make a dish called "Crummy Cauliflower"?
> "Cauliflower au Gratin" sounds much more impressive, even though it
> means about the same.

Yep.

Mornay = cheese sauce (usually with bread crumbs on top)
Bechamel = cheese sauce
Au Gratin = cheese sauce with bread crumbs on top.

All fancy names for the one thing.

Of course, there are the tightwads/stingy people amongst us who wouldn't
put any cheese in the sauce, then it's basically just a white sauce.

Jillymac still hasn't come back with how to "cook a term" though. I'd be
interested to know what one tastes like :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dan Abel > wrote:
>In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:

>> > Well, I just call it cheese sauce. What does that make me? <G>

>> I have no idea what Peter is talking about. Au gratin is cooking a term,
>> it's not designed to impress anyone.

>I disagree. Who would make a dish called "Crummy Cauliflower"?

Probably the same people who use something called SAP as a corporate
database. Oh... They're often public service departments here...
That figures! :-)

>"Cauliflower au Gratin" sounds much more impressive, even though it
>means about the same.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message

> "SAP" stands for Systeme, Anwendungen und Produkte in der
> Datenverarbeitung. They are the largest business software company in
> the world. Perhaps the word "sap" doesn't have a meaning in German.
> I've never heard it pronounced as one syllable, but rather as three. I
> spent several years working with software called PeopleSoft. They are
> major competitors.

Quite! My husband is an S.A.P. fi/co Analyst but don't let that stop
people who don't have a clue, calling it a database) His company is
changing over to it from PeopleSoft.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dan Abel > wrote:
>In article >,
> (Phred) wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Dan Abel > wrote:

>> >I disagree. Who would make a dish called "Crummy Cauliflower"?

>> Probably the same people who use something called SAP as a corporate
>> database. Oh... They're often public service departments here...
>> That figures! :-)

>"SAP" stands for Systeme, Anwendungen und Produkte in der
>Datenverarbeitung. They are the largest business software company in
>the world. Perhaps the word "sap" doesn't have a meaning in German.
>I've never heard it pronounced as one syllable, but rather as three.

Yeah, I realised it is just a TLA; thanks for spelling it out. (But,
given the full name, maybe they should have used the XTLA "SAPD". ;-)

There's another mob that advertises here in Oz, I forget what their
full title is (was?) but in recent years they only use the acronym
"PAW" in their ads. It always amuses me to think that there must be
people out there happy to buy "poor" products. :-)

>I spent several years working with software called PeopleSoft. They are
>major competitors.
>
>> >"Cauliflower au Gratin" sounds much more impressive, even though it
>> >means about the same.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID