Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default not all canned pumpkin is created equal

That is my first [expletive deleted] observation today. We have
used One-Pie canned pumpkin for as long as I have remembered.
This year I bought Libby's--figuring that a) it was backup (I
spoke earlier of using older cans), and b) people always speak of
Libby's so it must be fine. Well, let me say Libby's is much
looser than One-Pie brand. This might account at least in part
for people's different perceptions of pumpkin recipes. I have no
doubt that the recipe on the can is fine with Libby's pumpkin,
since it was created with their product in mind--and also that
similar recipes also might be fine. But I sure hope my chiffon
pie sets properly--also that the filling doesn't lack pumpkin
flavor. :-(

Oh yes. Why didn't I use the aged One-Pie Pumpkin? I most likely
have some here, but where????
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> That is my first [expletive deleted] observation today. We have used
> One-Pie canned pumpkin for as long as I have remembered. This year I
> bought Libby's--figuring that a) it was backup (I spoke earlier of using
> older cans), and b) people always speak of Libby's so it must be fine.
> Well, let me say Libby's is much looser than One-Pie brand.

I've never heard of One-Pie brand pumpkin before.
You didn't accidentally buy the pre-mixed pumpkin pie filling, did you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> That is my first [expletive deleted] observation today. We have used
>> One-Pie canned pumpkin for as long as I have remembered. This year I
>> bought Libby's--figuring that a) it was backup (I spoke earlier of
>> using older cans), and b) people always speak of Libby's so it must be
>> fine. Well, let me say Libby's is much looser than One-Pie brand.

> I've never heard of One-Pie brand pumpkin before.
> You didn't accidentally buy the pre-mixed pumpkin pie filling, did you?

No. But boy the Libby's is a very different, more watery, texture.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 26 Nov 2009 09:47:35a, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Goomba wrote:
>>> I've never heard of One-Pie brand pumpkin before.
>>> You didn't accidentally buy the pre-mixed pumpkin pie filling, did you?

>> No. But boy the Libby's is a very different, more watery, texture.
>>

> I've never heard of One-Pie Pumpkin either, but the watery texture of
> Libby's is what puts me off, and what prompted me to begin roasting
> pumpkins years ago.

When I find One-Pie, I am going to open both cans and compare them
on the spot. I am also thinking that probably my sister used
Libby's the one year she had trouble getting the pie to set. I
added a bit more gelatin to the filling and hope that that will
overcome that issue--but I still fear the flavor will be weaker.

Oh well, you live and you learn. And it won't be as bad as the
year my oven quit on either Thanksgiving or Christmas (I now forget).

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> That is my first [expletive deleted] observation today. We have used
>> One-Pie canned pumpkin for as long as I have remembered. This year I
>> bought Libby's--figuring that a) it was backup (I spoke earlier of
>> using older cans), and b) people always speak of Libby's so it must be
>> fine. Well, let me say Libby's is much looser than One-Pie brand.

> I've never heard of One-Pie brand pumpkin before.
> You didn't accidentally buy the pre-mixed pumpkin pie filling, did you?

I had never heard of it either, but a quick search reveals that it is
canned pumpkin and you have to add the sugar, milk, eggs, etc. FWIW, one
site reports that Cooks Illustrated tested three products and that
Libby's and One-Pie ended up in a dead heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 26 Nov 2009 09:47:35a, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Goomba wrote:
>>> I've never heard of One-Pie brand pumpkin before.
>>> You didn't accidentally buy the pre-mixed pumpkin pie filling, did you?

>> No. But boy the Libby's is a very different, more watery, texture.
>>

> I've never heard of One-Pie Pumpkin either, but the watery texture of
> Libby's is what puts me off, and what prompted me to begin roasting
> pumpkins years ago.

The canned product is watery or the cooked pie is watery? I have never
had a problem with the cooked pie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>> That is my first [expletive deleted] observation today. We have used
>>> One-Pie canned pumpkin for as long as I have remembered. This year I
>>> bought Libby's--figuring that a) it was backup (I spoke earlier of
>>> using older cans), and b) people always speak of Libby's so it must
>>> be fine. Well, let me say Libby's is much looser than One-Pie brand.

>> I've never heard of One-Pie brand pumpkin before.
>> You didn't accidentally buy the pre-mixed pumpkin pie filling, did you?

> No. But boy the Libby's is a very different, more watery, texture.

The Libby's I used last night was very solid. It slid out of the
can only with the use of a spatula and took effort to mix it with
the other ingredients.

I remember One-Pie as a New England staple along with Comstock.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 26 Nov 2009 09:36:53a, Jean B. told us...
>
>> That is my first [expletive deleted] observation today. We have
>> used One-Pie canned pumpkin for as long as I have remembered.
>> This year I bought Libby's--figuring that a) it was backup (I
>> spoke earlier of using older cans), and b) people always speak of
>> Libby's so it must be fine. Well, let me say Libby's is much
>> looser than One-Pie brand. This might account at least in part
>> for people's different perceptions of pumpkin recipes. I have no
>> doubt that the recipe on the can is fine with Libby's pumpkin,
>> since it was created with their product in mind--and also that
>> similar recipes also might be fine. But I sure hope my chiffon
>> pie sets properly--also that the filling doesn't lack pumpkin
>> flavor. :-(
>>
>> Oh yes. Why didn't I use the aged One-Pie Pumpkin? I most likely
>> have some here, but where????

> Apparently, One-Pie Pumpkin is a regional brand, as I've never heard of it.
> When I Googled it, I found a source in Maine, but was astounded at the
> price of $5.95 per can. What does it cost in the supermarket in your area?
>
> http://www.mainegoodies.com/gourmet/...efilling.shtml

Wow! That is a ridiculous price. I forget what the norm is--in
line with Libby's price. And one can get it on sale for 99 cents.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Apparently, One-Pie Pumpkin is a regional brand, as I've never heard of it.
> When I Googled it, I found a source in Maine, but was astounded at the
> price of $5.95 per can. What does it cost in the supermarket in your area?

Yeah. I saw that. I honestly don't know exactly pumpkin is selling for
these days, but that did sound like a hell of a lot. I will keep an eye
out for it when I go shopping tomorrow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>> That is my first [expletive deleted] observation today. We have used
>>> One-Pie canned pumpkin for as long as I have remembered. This year I
>>> bought Libby's--figuring that a) it was backup (I spoke earlier of
>>> using older cans), and b) people always speak of Libby's so it must
>>> be fine. Well, let me say Libby's is much looser than One-Pie brand.

>> I've never heard of One-Pie brand pumpkin before.
>> You didn't accidentally buy the pre-mixed pumpkin pie filling, did you?

> I had never heard of it either, but a quick search reveals that it is
> canned pumpkin and you have to add the sugar, milk, eggs, etc. FWIW, one
> site reports that Cooks Illustrated tested three products and that
> Libby's and One-Pie ended up in a dead heat.

I saw that. It made me wonder whether the Libby's I bought this
year was packaged this year--and whether it was more watery than
their norm. Otherwise, surely the difference would have been noted.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never heard of One-Pie brand pumpkin before.
>>> You didn't accidentally buy the pre-mixed pumpkin pie filling, did you?

>> No. But boy the Libby's is a very different, more watery, texture.
>>

> The Libby's I used last night was very solid. It slid out of the can
> only with the use of a spatula and took effort to mix it with the other
> ingredients.
>
> I remember One-Pie as a New England staple along with Comstock.
>
> gloria p

That really makes me wonder why this can was so watery, Gloria.
Unfortunately, I have another can from the same batch. Are they
anomalies????

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 26 Nov 2009 10:43:26a, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Thu 26 Nov 2009 09:47:35a, Jean B. told us...

> be

> you?
>>>>
>>> I've never heard of One-Pie Pumpkin either, but the watery texture of
>>> Libby's is what puts me off, and what prompted me to begin roasting
>>> pumpkins years ago.

>> The canned product is watery or the cooked pie is watery? I have never
>> had a problem with the cooked pie.

> As Jean described, Libby's canned pumpkin has a more watery texture.
> Depends on what your interpretation of "problem". IMO, the Libby's pumpkin
> makes an insipdly textured pie. Seems the mojority of folks like that. I
> don't.

From what people have said, I wonder whether the product is
somewhat inconsistent? I don't recall One-Pie pumpkin EVER being
watery!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Apparently, One-Pie Pumpkin is a regional brand, as I've never heard
>> of it. When I Googled it, I found a source in Maine, but was
>> astounded at the price of $5.95 per can. What does it cost in the
>> supermarket in your area?
>>

> Yeah. I saw that. I honestly don't know exactly pumpkin is selling for
> these days, but that did sound like a hell of a lot. I will keep an eye
> out for it when I go shopping tomorrow.

That price is NOT the norm. It is a total rip-off. The normal
price is more like US$1.50 or so, IIRC.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never heard of One-Pie brand pumpkin before.
>>> You didn't accidentally buy the pre-mixed pumpkin pie filling, did you?

>> I had never heard of it either, but a quick search reveals that it is
>> canned pumpkin and you have to add the sugar, milk, eggs, etc. FWIW, one
>> site reports that Cooks Illustrated tested three products and that
>> Libby's and One-Pie ended up in a dead heat.
>>

> I saw that. It made me wonder whether the Libby's I bought this year was
> packaged this year--and whether it was more watery than their norm.
> Otherwise, surely the difference would have been noted.
>
> --
> Jean B.

All of the winter squash that I grew this year are extremely watery. Due no
doubt to the cold, wet and short summer season. Perhaps it is a problem for
the Libby people. I have to bake my squash, drain the pan of water from the
squash, remove from the skin, mash it and spread it in a pan to roast some
more water out of it.
Very disappointing.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> From what people have said, I wonder whether the product is somewhat
> inconsistent? I don't recall One-Pie pumpkin EVER being watery!

I can't recall ever having watery Libby's pumpkin. I like the pies I
make using it very much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:01:30 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> From what people have said, I wonder whether the product is
>somewhat inconsistent? I don't recall One-Pie pumpkin EVER being
>watery!

I've never had a problem with Libby's being watery. The only time I
was surprised that it poured out of the can, I'd bought the wrong
kind.

Just thinking about the pumpkin harvest this year. Wasn't it cut
short because of too much rain? Maybe it's looser due to more
moisture in the pumpkins before processing. Someone else made the
pumpkin pie for this year, so I didn't see what the puree looked like.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:00:05 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>gloria.p wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:

>>> No. But boy the Libby's is a very different, more watery, texture.
>>>

>> The Libby's I used last night was very solid. It slid out of the can
>> only with the use of a spatula and took effort to mix it with the other
>> ingredients.
>>
>> I remember One-Pie as a New England staple along with Comstock.
>>
>> gloria p

>That really makes me wonder why this can was so watery, Gloria.
>Unfortunately, I have another can from the same batch. Are they
>anomalies????

Sounds like it. Maybe due to the unusual weather this year when they
harvested.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:55:07 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Thre has been a lot of discussion about the shortage of Libby's pumpkin,
>but every store I've been in has it in abundance.

Same with what I saw. Maybe they have plenty of cans until sold out
and after that there's no reordering.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mine too. The only product I can think of that might be stiffer than
the pumpkin would be canned cranberry sauce ring prints and all. Is
that what the One-Pie brand is like?

marcella

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> The Libby's I used last night was very solid. It slid out of the
> can only with the use of a spatula and took effort to mix it with
> the other ingredients.
>

> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:01:30 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> From what people have said, I wonder whether the product is
>> somewhat inconsistent? I don't recall One-Pie pumpkin EVER being
>> watery!

> I've never had a problem with Libby's being watery. The only time I
> was surprised that it poured out of the can, I'd bought the wrong
> kind.
>
> Just thinking about the pumpkin harvest this year. Wasn't it cut
> short because of too much rain? Maybe it's looser due to more
> moisture in the pumpkins before processing. Someone else made the
> pumpkin pie for this year, so I didn't see what the puree looked like.

My guess is that it would be simple enough to remove the water from
canned pumpkin by letting it sit in a basket type coffee filter. It's
likely that canned pumpkin is a semi-solid suspension that's relatively
sensitive to changes in water content i.e., a small change in the water
to solid ratio could make a big difference in viscosity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Other Guy wrote:
>> My guess is that it would be simple enough to remove the water from
>> canned pumpkin by letting it sit in a basket type coffee filter. It's
>> likely that canned pumpkin is a semi-solid suspension that's relatively
>> sensitive to changes in water content i.e., a small change in the water
>> to solid ratio could make a big difference in viscosity.

> What has AMAZED ME about this thread is that apparently not ONE person
> here is aware that a pumpkin pie is actually pumpkin CUSTARD, and it
> certainly SHOULD be watery before it's cooked!!

It amazed me that someone would assume that we had not assumed that it
is pumpkin custard. In fact, there was at least comment about whether
the product mentioned was pumpkin or pumpkin pie filling... a canned
custard filling. I have no doubt that the people commenting were well
aware that pumpkin pie is a custard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Other Guy wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:25:06 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> I've never had a problem with Libby's being watery. The only time I
>>> was surprised that it poured out of the can, I'd bought the wrong
>>> kind.
>>>
>>> Just thinking about the pumpkin harvest this year. Wasn't it cut
>>> short because of too much rain? Maybe it's looser due to more
>>> moisture in the pumpkins before processing. Someone else made the
>>> pumpkin pie for this year, so I didn't see what the puree looked like.
>>>

>> My guess is that it would be simple enough to remove the water from
>> canned pumpkin by letting it sit in a basket type coffee filter. It's
>> likely that canned pumpkin is a semi-solid suspension that's relatively
>> sensitive to changes in water content i.e., a small change in the water
>> to solid ratio could make a big difference in viscosity.

> What has AMAZED ME about this thread is that apparently not ONE person
> here is aware that a pumpkin pie is actually pumpkin CUSTARD, and it
> certainly SHOULD be watery before it's cooked!!

Oddly enough, so is pecan pie. I just made a Chinese style custard pie.
The setting agents are 5 eggs and 2.5 T of cornstarch. Sounds like it
would come out all rubbery and weird but hopefully it's gonna come out
creamy and delicate. Yum!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Other Guy wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:25:06 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> I've never had a problem with Libby's being watery. The only time I
>>> was surprised that it poured out of the can, I'd bought the wrong
>>> kind.
>>>
>>> Just thinking about the pumpkin harvest this year. Wasn't it cut
>>> short because of too much rain? Maybe it's looser due to more
>>> moisture in the pumpkins before processing. Someone else made the
>>> pumpkin pie for this year, so I didn't see what the puree looked like.
>>>

>> My guess is that it would be simple enough to remove the water from
>> canned pumpkin by letting it sit in a basket type coffee filter. It's
>> likely that canned pumpkin is a semi-solid suspension that's relatively
>> sensitive to changes in water content i.e., a small change in the water
>> to solid ratio could make a big difference in viscosity.

> What has AMAZED ME about this thread is that apparently not ONE person
> here is aware that a pumpkin pie is actually pumpkin CUSTARD, and it
> certainly SHOULD be watery before it's cooked!!

Um, then explain the reason why this can was more watery than what
I normally use. (Also, I make a chiffon pie. Indeed, one starts
by making a custard-type thing, and that is more liquid because of
the milk, etc.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 11:06*am, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
> On Thu 26 Nov 2009 09:47:35a, Jean B. told us...
>
> > Goomba wrote:

> >> I've never heard of One-Pie brand pumpkin before.
> >> You didn't accidentally buy the pre-mixed pumpkin pie filling, did you?

> > No. *But boy the Libby's is a very different, more watery, texture.

> I've never heard of One-Pie Pumpkin either, but the watery texture of
> Libby's is what puts me off, and what prompted me to begin roasting
> pumpkins years ago.

I don't eat pumpkin anything, but my education mentor farms pumpkins,
and as usual, the canned is, according to her, inferior. I was
cooking for myself this year due to my family travelling when I could
not. I took a shortcut and used Trader Joe's stuffing. It was far
from crappy ramen-type packet. With some Swanson broth it was darned
good. I get my T-Giving treat tomorrow when my wife bakes a chocolate
cake with Chambord whipped cream.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 26 Nov 2009 05:53:22p, Jean B. told us...
>
>> The Other Guy wrote:

> kind.

>>> What has AMAZED ME about this thread is that apparently not ONE person
>>> here is aware that a pumpkin pie is actually pumpkin CUSTARD, and it
>>> certainly SHOULD be watery before it's cooked!!
>>>

>> Um, then explain the reason why this can was more watery than what
>> I normally use. (Also, I make a chiffon pie. Indeed, one starts
>> by making a custard-type thing, and that is more liquid because of
>> the milk, etc.)
>>

> Jean, I think you're misunderstanding the erroneous post. The fact that a
> pumpkin pie is actually a pumpkin custard has absolutely no bearing on the
> water content of the canned pumpkin nor its intended use. The poster who
> wrote this obviously did not understand any of the preceding posts.
>
> Even the canned pumpkin pie filling (not the plain canned pumpkin) still
> requires the addition of eggs and evaporated milk, per the recipe. The
> filling in the can contains only pumpkin, sugar, and spices.

Yup. BTW, I think the pie has less flavor. Luckily, my daughter
is a supertaster, so she is happy enough with it. I am thinking
of doing two things. I will get another can of the Libby pie
filling. If I can find any One-Pie, I will compare the two this
year, and I will also keep a can of the Libby's and compare it
with Libby's next year.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> gloria.p wrote:

>> The Libby's I used last night was very solid. It slid out of the can
>> only with the use of a spatula and took effort to mix it with the
>> other ingredients.
>>
>> I remember One-Pie as a New England staple along with Comstock.
>>
>> gloria p

> That really makes me wonder why this can was so watery, Gloria.
> Unfortunately, I have another can from the same batch. Are they
> anomalies????

I'd say so. I just put a second pie in the oven (grandson's
christening tomorrow) and had the same experience as yesterday.
The Libby's pumpkin was solid pack, not that easy to get out of
the can, and I had to stir with a whisk to get the spice/sugar
mixture and the milk to blend.

I just checked and both cans said "Best by Mar 2011".

I wouldn't write off Libby's yet.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> gloria.p wrote:

>>> The Libby's I used last night was very solid. It slid out of the can
>>> only with the use of a spatula and took effort to mix it with the
>>> other ingredients.
>>>
>>> I remember One-Pie as a New England staple along with Comstock.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> That really makes me wonder why this can was so watery, Gloria.
>> Unfortunately, I have another can from the same batch. Are they
>> anomalies????
>>

> I'd say so. I just put a second pie in the oven (grandson's christening
> tomorrow) and had the same experience as yesterday.
> The Libby's pumpkin was solid pack, not that easy to get out of the can,
> and I had to stir with a whisk to get the spice/sugar mixture and the
> milk to blend.
>
> I just checked and both cans said "Best by Mar 2011".
>
> I wouldn't write off Libby's yet.
>
> gloria p

Mine says "Best by Mar 2012". What you describe sounds like my
usual experience with One-Pie. I actually have to stir in the
milk gradually for a while, because it is so thick.

Now I am very curious, so, as I told Wayne, I am going to try to
find a third can of the batch I have so I can compare it to next
year's Libby's--and this year's One-Pie.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> From what people have said, I wonder whether the product is somewhat
>> inconsistent? I don't recall One-Pie pumpkin EVER being watery!
>>

> I can't recall ever having watery Libby's pumpkin. I like the pies I
> make using it very much.

Me. too. And I don't understand Wayne's complaint about the
flavor. Pumpkin/squash pretty much tastes the same, varying
because of the spices added.

IIRC in New England One Pie brand used to sell both canned
pumpkin and squash. There was a slight flavor difference but not
much.

gloria p