Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 20:51:32 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> I'll often make a white sauce, dunno if it's classic. Roast flour a bit in
>> a pan for a tan 'roux', then add a combo of butter and flour stirring
>> constantly to make a paste, then add cream or dashi (or both). Add
>> seasonings and let simmer. Adjust thickness issues with arrowroot if
>> needed. You can also add grated cheese to this if the end desire is a
>> cheese sauce (use cream vice dashi then obviously).

>Does deglazing a pan with vermouth or wine after frying or saute'ing,
>reducing it or thickening it count as a "gravy"?
>
>I wonder what the fine dividing line is between a "gravy" vs. a "sauce"?
>:-)

South of Naples it's gravy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Food Snob® > wrote:

> > *I often end
> > up making far more gravy than I need (3 quarts or so) and end up giving
> > about 1/2 of it away to a good friend so she does not have to make any...
> >
> > OTOH is there really such a thing as "too much gravy"? <g>

> For many years I've said that if I won the Powerball I'd have a dozen
> turkeys roasted every week, and give 11 to a shelter, but reserve the
> drippings from all twelve.
>
> --Bryan

Ah Bryan, don't underestimate the lovely value of roasted drippings from
other meats, even the lowly chicken!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > I wonder what the fine dividing line is between a "gravy" vs. a "sauce"?
> > :-)

> Perhaps:
> Gravy = meat-based (from a roast or broth)
> Sauce = no meat? (Bearnaise, Hollandaise, etc.)
>
> gloria p

Interesting concept!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 20:51:32 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "cshenk" > wrote:
> >
> >> I'll often make a white sauce, dunno if it's classic. Roast flour a bit
> >> in
> >> a pan for a tan 'roux', then add a combo of butter and flour stirring
> >> constantly to make a paste, then add cream or dashi (or both). Add
> >> seasonings and let simmer. Adjust thickness issues with arrowroot if
> >> needed. You can also add grated cheese to this if the end desire is a
> >> cheese sauce (use cream vice dashi then obviously).

> >Does deglazing a pan with vermouth or wine after frying or saute'ing,
> >reducing it or thickening it count as a "gravy"?
> >
> >I wonder what the fine dividing line is between a "gravy" vs. a "sauce"?
> >:-)

> South of Naples it's gravy.

Ok... South of the Grand Tetons?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 2, 1:29*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Food Snob® > wrote:
>
> > > *I often end
> > > up making far more gravy than I need (3 quarts or so) and end up giving
> > > about 1/2 of it away to a good friend so she does not have to make any...

> > > OTOH is there really such a thing as "too much gravy"? <g>

> > For many years I've said that if I won the Powerball I'd have a dozen
> > turkeys roasted every week, and give 11 to a shelter, but reserve the
> > drippings from all twelve.

> > --Bryan

> Ah Bryan, don't underestimate the lovely value of roasted drippings from
> other meats, even the lowly chicken!

Oh, believe me, I do not, but turkey is by far my favorite. I like
duck (tame duck) and chicken (especially those tiny hens!) better than
turkey, but I adore turkey gravy. Heck, I like gravy more than just
about anything. I am kind of renowned among friends for a small
dinner party I gave where I wood grilled 2" thick strip steaks and
served them with mashed potatoes and gravy that was made from round
steaks. It was an over the top thing to do, using 6, 7, 8 pound of
beef to make gravy, then discarding the tasteless, blanched meat, but
I don't do it often.
The only other two foods I put in the same category as spectacular
gravy are deep red, ripe but very firm cherries and pistachios that
are totally green inside.

> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 02:37:11 -0500, T >
> wrote:
>
>>Equal parts butter and flour, cook to desired color then add the stock
>>and stir/whisk. It's gonna thicken nicely. I generally tend to go with
>>5tbsp butter and 5tbsp flour.

> Nice gravy. The problem is - it tastes like turkey!

It's gravy with butter instead of turkey fat/drippings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 01:46:30 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"cshenk" > wrote in message

>>> Grin, most of us know how to improvise although that's not one I'd try.
>>>
>>> Seriously, you've not posted any recipes as far as I know, so you are
>>> just
>>> starting to look like a pretender. People will like you fine if you
>>> actually post something relevant instead of 'foodsnob' type things.
>>>

>>I think the term you want is ASSHOLE.
>>

> Hey! Stop it right now. I have cornered the market on that word, so
> she has to find another one.
>
> Thank you very much.

fi dollah say you have word for yousef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:28:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 01:46:30 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>>I think the term you want is ASSHOLE.
>>>

>> Hey! Stop it right now. I have cornered the market on that word, so
>> she has to find another one.
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>

>fi dollah say you have word for yousef.

I saw it up the street for two fifty...

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:27:47 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 02:37:11 -0500, T >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Equal parts butter and flour, cook to desired color then add the stock
>>>and stir/whisk. It's gonna thicken nicely. I generally tend to go with
>>>5tbsp butter and 5tbsp flour.

>> Nice gravy. The problem is - it tastes like turkey!
>>

>It's gravy with butter instead of turkey fat/drippings.

Butter makes it better, but it's still turkey!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-11-24, cybercat > wrote:
> My local CBS affiliate did a taste test and decided that Knorr Roasted
> Turkey mix in the packet tastes the closest to home made, esp. if you add
> pan drippings. FWIW. I think it is smart to have a good brand around just in
> case.

Anyone too stupid to make real gravy from pan drippings deserves what
they get.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 18:09:39 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>I though it was a joke on canned gravy, but now that it's explained, yes I
>have done a few things like that where it might be thought of as 'gravy'.
>
>The most common one, is a can of clam chowder (white or tomato depending on
>what we want for a sauce) run through the blender then doctored with a few
>herbs and spices to match what it is going with (minced onions and garlics
>fried to sweet in butter then added with the butter is a common one). Since
>we eat a seafood diet about 4 times a week, chicken/pork/beef/turkey 'gravy'
>is rarely in the picture for us.

What do you serve with this clam sauce? Thanks!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:27:47 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Nice gravy. The problem is - it tastes like turkey!
>>>

>>It's gravy with butter instead of turkey fat/drippings.
>>

> Butter makes it better, but it's still turkey!

I have actually done this when I ruined the chicken gravy--it is not so hot.
Passable, but not so hot. It has no roasted flavor, for starters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:28:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Hey! Stop it right now. I have cornered the market on that word, so
>>> she has to find another one.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much.
>>>

>>fi dollah say you have word for yousef.
>>

> I saw it up the street for two fifty...

two senty fi my final offer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:01:51 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:28:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>>fi dollah say you have word for yousef.
>>>

>> I saw it up the street for two fifty...
>>

>two senty fi my final offer.

Mumble, mumble, mumble. You're sending me to the poor house....
mumble, mumble. Okay, two seventy five - but that includes tax and
delivery, no extra charges!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:01:14 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:27:47 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>>It's gravy with butter instead of turkey fat/drippings.
>>>

>> Butter makes it better, but it's still turkey!
>>

>I have actually done this when I ruined the chicken gravy--it is not so hot.
>Passable, but not so hot. It has no roasted flavor, for starters.

I know. Gravy without pan drippings and fond, is just a mere shadow
of what it could be.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>>I though it was a joke on canned gravy, but now that it's explained, yes I
>>have done a few things like that where it might be thought of as 'gravy'.
>>
>>The most common one, is a can of clam chowder (white or tomato depending
>>on
>>what we want for a sauce) run through the blender then doctored with a few
>>herbs and spices to match what it is going with (minced onions and garlics
>>fried to sweet in butter then added with the butter is a common one).
>>Since

> What do you serve with this clam sauce? Thanks!

Tara, it can go on many things but generally it's a fast thing for rice and
seafood. For example I'd have Don clean a 12 inch body cavity squid and
stuff it with various things then what wasnt eaten hot right away, was
sliced and eaten cold with this sauce.

I am not saying it is 'haute cuisine' but it seemed related to Sheldon's
'can gravy' but one I didnt undersand i do too, until I saw him describe
what he meant better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Food Snob® > wrote:

> > Ah Bryan, don't underestimate the lovely value of roasted drippings from
> > other meats, even the lowly chicken!

> Oh, believe me, I do not, but turkey is by far my favorite. I like
> duck (tame duck) and chicken (especially those tiny hens!) better than
> turkey, but I adore turkey gravy. Heck, I like gravy more than just
> about anything. I am kind of renowned among friends for a small
> dinner party I gave where I wood grilled 2" thick strip steaks and
> served them with mashed potatoes and gravy that was made from round
> steaks. It was an over the top thing to do, using 6, 7, 8 pound of
> beef to make gravy, then discarding the tasteless, blanched meat, but
> I don't do it often.
> The only other two foods I put in the same category as spectacular
> gravy are deep red, ripe but very firm cherries and pistachios that
> are totally green inside.
>

> --Bryan

Fascinating... :-)

I do love turkey as well.

What I don't understand is those who do not really care for turkey
cooking it just because it's "traditional". If you don't like it, cook
something else special that you DO like for pity sakes! I noted that
quite a few here did just that. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> What I don't understand is those who do not really care for turkey
> cooking it just because it's "traditional". If you don't like it, cook
> something else special that you DO like for pity sakes! I noted that
> quite a few here did just that. <g>

I think it's really pretty simple. If you have a family of three, and
the big feast, and someone wants baked potatoes, another wants baked
sweet potatoes and the third wants roasted beets, that's not hard to do
all at once, in the same oven, for the same meal. On the other hand, if
one wants a big turkey with all the trimmings, another wants a whole
baked ham with all its trimmings, and the third wants a prime rib roast
with the trimmings, that isn't going to happen, not for three people.
There isn't room in the fridge, the oven or the budget. So maybe
they'll do the turkey for Thanksgiving, because that's traditional. It
may even be that the person who does most of the cooking doesn't really
prefer turkey, but they'll get what *they* want for the next holiday.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>

> > What I don't understand is those who do not really care for turkey
> > cooking it just because it's "traditional". If you don't like it, cook
> > something else special that you DO like for pity sakes! I noted that
> > quite a few here did just that. <g>

> I think it's really pretty simple. If you have a family of three, and
> the big feast, and someone wants baked potatoes, another wants baked
> sweet potatoes and the third wants roasted beets, that's not hard to do
> all at once, in the same oven, for the same meal. On the other hand, if
> one wants a big turkey with all the trimmings, another wants a whole
> baked ham with all its trimmings, and the third wants a prime rib roast
> with the trimmings, that isn't going to happen, not for three people.
> There isn't room in the fridge, the oven or the budget. So maybe
> they'll do the turkey for Thanksgiving, because that's traditional. It
> may even be that the person who does most of the cooking doesn't really
> prefer turkey, but they'll get what *they* want for the next holiday.

So long as you take turns. ;-)
I do actually have a ham in the refrigerator 'cause it was cheap. While
I love turkey, I love ham too!

Soon's the turkey carcass gets turned into soup, that ham gets roasted.
<g>

'tis the holiday season for feasting, and I have more COC and sweet
potatoes in the back refrigerator...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 5:00*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *Omelet > wrote:
> > What I don't understand is those who do not really care for turkey
> > cooking it just because it's "traditional". *If you don't like it, cook
> > something else special that you DO like for pity sakes! *I noted that
> > quite a few here did just that. <g>

> I think it's really pretty simple. *If you have a family of three, and
> the big feast, and someone wants baked potatoes, another wants baked
> sweet potatoes and the third wants roasted beets, that's not hard to do
> all at once, in the same oven, for the same meal. *On the other hand, if
> one wants a big turkey with all the trimmings, another wants a whole
> baked ham with all its trimmings, and the third wants a prime rib roast
> with the trimmings, that isn't going to happen, not for three people. *
> There isn't room in the fridge, the oven or the budget. *So maybe
> they'll do the turkey for Thanksgiving, because that's traditional. *It
> may even be that the person who does most of the cooking doesn't really
> prefer turkey, but they'll get what *they* want for the next holiday.

Ham is NOT for Thanksgiving. Ham is for Easter. What better way to
prove to the Spanish Inquisition that you're not a filthy, Christ-
killing Jew.

> --
> Dan Abel

--Bryan