Chris

Default What am I drinking??

Hoping someone here can identify this mystery drink!
Just got back from a Mexican restaurant, where I had my first taste of
chayote (quite a surprise, as my mouth was expecting potato!) Anyway,
my friend was drinking horchata, and suggested I try a different
drink, which sits before me now.
It's a bit darker than cranberry juice and sweet, with a tea-like
aftertaste. The girl at the counter didn't speak English, but a man
seated nearby said he thought it was made from flowers similar to
roses. Could it be hibiscus? It's driving me crazy not knowing.
Many thanks in advance!
- Chris
---
http://www.sudairy.com/mer/recipes.html
WardNA

>The girl at the counter didn't speak English, but a man
>seated nearby said he thought it was made from flowers similar to
>roses. Could it be hibiscus?

It is known as Rosa de Jamaica and, like cranberry juice, is widely prescribed
for bladder infections in Mexico and Central America. I can't remember if it's
made from dried blossoms or seed pods of some plant.

Neil
Puester

Chris wrote:

> Hoping someone here can identify this mystery drink!
> Just got back from a Mexican restaurant, where I had my first taste of
> chayote (quite a surprise, as my mouth was expecting potato!) Anyway,
> my friend was drinking horchata, and suggested I try a different
> drink, which sits before me now.
> It's a bit darker than cranberry juice and sweet, with a tea-like
> aftertaste. The girl at the counter didn't speak English, but a man
> seated nearby said he thought it was made from flowers similar to
> roses. Could it be hibiscus? It's driving me crazy not knowing.
> Many thanks in advance!
> - Chris
> ---
> http://www.sudairy.com/mer/recipes.html

It's called jamaica (huh-MY-ka) and is
made from dried hibiscus of some variety.
You can buy the dried flowers in any Mexican
grocery store.

glroia p
zxcvbob

Chris wrote:

> Hoping someone here can identify this mystery drink!
> Just got back from a Mexican restaurant, where I had my first taste of
> chayote (quite a surprise, as my mouth was expecting potato!) Anyway,
> my friend was drinking horchata, and suggested I try a different
> drink, which sits before me now.
> It's a bit darker than cranberry juice and sweet, with a tea-like
> aftertaste. The girl at the counter didn't speak English, but a man
> seated nearby said he thought it was made from flowers similar to
> roses. Could it be hibiscus? It's driving me crazy not knowing.
> Many thanks in advance!
> - Chris
> ---
> http://www.sudairy.com/mer/recipes.html

A type of hibiscus fruit, very similar to okra. Here's more info than
you ever wanted to know:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html

There's a discussion going on right now about using this plant to make
jelly in r.f.preserving.

Best regards,
Bob

Arri London

Chris wrote:

> Hoping someone here can identify this mystery drink!
> Just got back from a Mexican restaurant, where I had my first taste of
> chayote (quite a surprise, as my mouth was expecting potato!) Anyway,
> my friend was drinking horchata, and suggested I try a different
> drink, which sits before me now.
> It's a bit darker than cranberry juice and sweet, with a tea-like
> aftertaste. The girl at the counter didn't speak English, but a man
> seated nearby said he thought it was made from flowers similar to
> roses. Could it be hibiscus? It's driving me crazy not knowing.
> Many thanks in advance!
> - Chris
> ---
> http://www.sudairy.com/mer/recipes.html

Sounds like jamaica, which I think is a form of hibiscus.