Old 23-11-2009, 03:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default U use Brita water system?

On Nov 23, 11:21*am, FERRANTE wrote:
I usually buy bottled water and a friend of mine uses the Brita system
for his drinking water and he likes it. Anyone here use it and if so,
your thoughts on the taste of the water? Also, how many gallons get
one get from a filter before it has to be changed?

I've been Brita-ing my water for at least 25 years. Used to live
where the chlorine was so bad you could smell it.

I keep two pitchers going - in case I suddenly need a lot of water or
someone forgets to fill it. I think it tastes fine. You DO have to
wash the pitchers thoroughly every so often.

They say average two months on a filter. I change em every three
months, as I have two of em going. I buy the five pack at Kmart -
cheapest was to get the filters that I've found. About 19 bucks for
the 5 of em.

My cat won't drink the tap water, so I Brita water for his benefit
also.

There are probably better methods now - like the Pur filter attached
to the faucet. Not sure tho how costly.
If I were rich, I'd install the reverse osmosis system on the whole
water supply to the house, but the Brita will do for now.

Old 23-11-2009, 05:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:

I usually buy bottled water and a friend of mine uses the Brita system
for his drinking water and he likes it. Anyone here use it and if so,
your thoughts on the taste of the water? Also, how many gallons get
one get from a filter before it has to be changed?

Works great, other than that it fails to remove the chloramine.
Maybe future generations of the product will deal with this.

We change it every 70 to 90 days, whether it needs changing
or not. (Normal kitchen usage level for two people.)

Steve
Old 23-11-2009, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" wrote in message
I usually buy bottled water and a friend of mine uses the Brita system
for his drinking water and he likes it. Anyone here use it and if so,
your thoughts on the taste of the water? Also, how many gallons get
one get from a filter before it has to be changed?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,
I used a Brita for years and it worked fine. We have extremely hard water
and it made it drinkable. I usually got about 4 or 5 months from a filter
before it got too clogged to use.

I switched to an under counter filtration system a few years ago and found
that the convenience beat the heck out of filling pitchers.

Jon

Old 23-11-2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I use a Pur filter on the end of the faucet. I think I paid about $30
for it, and replacement filters are $15. They say you can get a year
out of the filter, but their little indicator goes all the way to 100%
after about 6 months. Usually then, I'll pull the filter out and put
it back in to reset the meter.

I like it because my water sometimes tastes a little 'rubbery' or once
in awhile the chlorine levels will spike. Without filtering, my
coffee and especially tea will get an almost metallic tangy taste to
them that ruins the experience. Water that is filtered tastes like
"nothing" as I not-I said, but that's fine with me. They do have
filters that include minerals, and my guess is that the water will
then taste like rural well water, but I've never tried it.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that it adds all this
bulk to the end of the faucet. If I'm filtering water and putting it
into a tall glass (like a pub-style tumbler) the sink below has to be
pretty much empty or i won't be able to fit the glass under the
filter. A different faucet would help, but this isn't my place so I'm
not going to change it.

I initially bought it when I was on a 3-month work assignment in
Delaware in a furnished hotel last year. The water there tasted as
though you toasted a piece of moldy bread and made tea out of it. I
didn't expect this filter to do very much, but it completely removed
all that taste from the water.

-J

Old 23-11-2009, 05:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:
I usually buy bottled water and a friend of mine uses the Brita system
for his drinking water and he likes it. Anyone here use it and if so,
your thoughts on the taste of the water? Also, how many gallons get
one get from a filter before it has to be changed?

Thanks,
Mark

Why do you drink bottled water? Actual reason or just habit?
We used to use a Brita in Europe because the village I lived in had
water that was so hard it was like cement. The Brita was much cheaper
than bottled water. My community's water tastes just fine so I don't
need to use it anymore.
Old 23-11-2009, 06:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:
I usually buy bottled water and a friend of mine uses the Brita system
for his drinking water and he likes it. Anyone here use it and if so,
your thoughts on the taste of the water? Also, how many gallons get
one get from a filter before it has to be changed?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark -

I live in the boonies, and have a water softener that filters. So my
options are slightly different. And with well water, I have the hardness
issues, not the fluoride/chlorine issues.

For drinking water, I changed from bottled water to filtered water when
last I upgraded my refrigerator. I have a Maytag I am happy with. The
filters for the water dispenser are about $30 US each, but they filter
approximately 600 US gallons each. It does meter the water so I know
when to replace the filter via a light indicator.

Just another option.

Bob
Old 24-11-2009, 12:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" wrote in message
I usually buy bottled water and a friend of mine uses the Brita system
for his drinking water and he likes it. Anyone here use it and if so,
your thoughts on the taste of the water? Also, how many gallons get
one get from a filter before it has to be changed?

Thanks,
Mark

Where is Sheldon with his reverse osmosis spiel?
Reverse Osmosis is the way to go for good drinking water.

Old 24-11-2009, 12:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Beea wrote:
"FERRANTE" wrote in message
I usually buy bottled water and a friend of mine uses the Brita system
for his drinking water and he likes it. Anyone here use it and if so,
your thoughts on the taste of the water? Also, how many gallons get
one get from a filter before it has to be changed?

Thanks,
Mark

Where is Sheldon with his reverse osmosis spiel?
Reverse Osmosis is the way to go for good drinking water.

We use a Brita Pitcher all the time. Our water comes from a well.
I have a whole house filter on the well, but for cooking we use the
Brita Pitcher. We change the Brita filter monthly. The whole house I
change weekly...
--
Skype fxdlrider2
Old 24-11-2009, 12:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Beea wrote:

"FERRANTE" wrote in message
I usually buy bottled water and a friend of mine uses the Brita system
for his drinking water and he likes it. Anyone here use it and if so,
your thoughts on the taste of the water? Also, how many gallons get
one get from a filter before it has to be changed?

Thanks,
Mark

Where is Sheldon with his reverse osmosis spiel?
Reverse Osmosis is the way to go for good drinking water.

Certainly RO water will be superior to ordinary carbon block filtered
water, but may be overkill depending on how bad your source water is. RO
filter systems use carbon block filters as their first stage since
chlorine is bad for the expensive RO membrane.

I used an RO system in my previous house where I had lousy city water
and it was great. At my current place we have co-op water that is quite
good, so I haven't added any extra filtering.

Old 24-11-2009, 02:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

Beea wrote:

"FERRANTE" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm ....

I think - not positive.

I believe the Brita Systems are for city based chlorinated water
systems. City water systems tend to have the biologicals removed or
killed. Brita systems will remove some chemical based items from the
water. I am not sure about Brita removing biologicals from the water.

R.O. based water purification systems will remove biologicals and most
chemicals from well based systems. Most wells do not have chlorine in
them and not a problem for the first stage R.O. membrane. Again I think
- not positive. Something for you to research.

I have a well system with a water softener and a R.O. purification
system. I think - water softener only systems are not safe to drink.

Brita's for city water.
R.O.'s for well water.

To be positive have your water tested for biologicals and chemicals.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 24-11-2009, 02:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan L. wrote:

I believe the Brita Systems are for city based chlorinated water
systems. City water systems tend to have the biologicals removed or
killed. Brita systems will remove some chemical based items from the
water. I am not sure about Brita removing biologicals from the water.

Correct, those Brita's that are carbon filters do not remove
microbes the way a micropore filter (e.g. Pur) will.

Maybe different Brita products will do this.

Steve
Old 24-11-2009, 02:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
FERRANTE wrote:

I usually buy bottled water and a friend of mine uses the Brita system
for his drinking water and he likes it. Anyone here use it and if so,
your thoughts on the taste of the water? Also, how many gallons get
one get from a filter before it has to be changed?

I use a Britta pitcher and it works great. Bottled water costs a lot
more than filtered per gallon, plus filtered water is much more
environmentally friendly than filtered water.
Old 24-11-2009, 01:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"phaeton" wrote in message
I use a Pur filter on the end of the faucet. I think I paid about $30
for it, and replacement filters are $15. They say you can get a year
out of the filter, but their little indicator goes all the way to 100%
after about 6 months. Usually then, I'll pull the filter out and put
it back in to reset the meter.

So to save $15 you put the bacteria laden filter back in.

Old 24-11-2009, 01:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" wrote in message
I usually buy bottled water and a friend of mine uses the Brita system
for his drinking water and he likes it. Anyone here use it and if so,
your thoughts on the taste of the water? Also, how many gallons get
one get from a filter before it has to be changed?

Thanks,
Mark

If it is your house, consider a whole house or under-sink filter for hte
kitchen cold water line.

Brita as softener Steve Ackman Coffee 0 08-07-2010 04:11 PM
Water filter pitchers (e.g., Brita) [email protected] General 2 09-05-2006 09:21 AM
Used Brita water filter? [email protected] Tea 3 01-01-2006 09:34 PM
Brita Water Filters usual suspect Vegan 0 12-01-2005 09:15 PM
Brita Water Filters Tony Vegan 0 11-01-2005 01:00 PM