Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mail Order Wine/Gift Baskets?

Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
friends or family for Christmas? Any recommendations on good companies
to deal with? Anything special I need to be aware of?

I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
TOUGH!! I know she enjoys her sherry and I often send her bottles of Tio
Pepe, but I wanted something more interesting, perhaps a "wine of the
month" type deal.

All suggestions welcome
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote in news:7mgbo2F3i9vscU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
> friends or family for Christmas? Any recommendations on good companies
> to deal with? Anything special I need to be aware of?
>
> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
> TOUGH!! I know she enjoys her sherry and I often send her bottles of Tio
> Pepe, but I wanted something more interesting, perhaps a "wine of the
> month" type deal.
>
> All suggestions welcome
> Goomba

Maybe a selection of cheeses to go with her sherry??

Lots of cheesery's do mail order packages of their cheeses.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
> friends or family for Christmas? Any recommendations on good companies to
> deal with? Anything special I need to be aware of?
>
> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she needed
> or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are TOUGH!! I
> know she enjoys her sherry and I often send her bottles of Tio Pepe, but I
> wanted something more interesting, perhaps a "wine of the month" type
> deal.
>
> All suggestions welcome
> Goomba

Do you live or does she live in a state where alcohol is regulated by the
state? Here in PA you can get gift cards for the local state store or as
it's called on the Main Line...the Wine and Spirits Shoppe.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Goomba" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
>> friends or family for Christmas? Any recommendations on good companies to
>> deal with? Anything special I need to be aware of?
>>
>> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she needed
>> or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are TOUGH!! I
>> know she enjoys her sherry and I often send her bottles of Tio Pepe, but I
>> wanted something more interesting, perhaps a "wine of the month" type
>> deal.
>>
>> All suggestions welcome
>> Goomba

> Do you live or does she live in a state where alcohol is regulated by the
> state? Here in PA you can get gift cards for the local state store or as
> it's called on the Main Line...the Wine and Spirits Shoppe.
> -ginny

I thought they called all of them that to disguise they are government
stores? I did notice they disguise them further at a few places by
calling them premium wine boutiques and other cutsey names.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>> "Goomba" > wrote in message
>>> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
>>> friends or family for Christmas? Any recommendations on good companies
>>> to deal with? Anything special I need to be aware of?
>>>
>>> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
>>> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
>>> TOUGH!! I know she enjoys her sherry and I often send her bottles of Tio
>>> Pepe, but I wanted something more interesting, perhaps a "wine of the
>>> month" type deal.
>>>
>>> All suggestions welcome
>>> Goomba

>> Do you live or does she live in a state where alcohol is regulated by the
>> state? Here in PA you can get gift cards for the local state store or as
>> it's called on the Main Line...the Wine and Spirits Shoppe.
>> -ginny

> I thought they called all of them that to disguise they are government
> stores? I did notice they disguise them further at a few places by calling
> them premium wine boutiques and other cutsey names.

Most people still call them the 'State Store'.

A monopoly by any other name....

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 1:26*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
> friends or family for Christmas? *Any recommendations on good companies
> to deal with? *Anything special I need to be aware of?
>
> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are

"Harry and David" get kudos from me - my brother & wife send me a
towering bunch of boxes every year. Other than that, I like to send
gift boxes from our sorta local Amana Colonies, which are only 20
miles away.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Nov 17, 1:26 pm, Goomba > wrote:
>> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
>> friends or family for Christmas? Any recommendations on good companies
>> to deal with? Anything special I need to be aware of?
>>
>> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
>> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
>>

> "Harry and David" get kudos from me - my brother & wife send me a
> towering bunch of boxes every year. Other than that, I like to send
> gift boxes from our sorta local Amana Colonies, which are only 20
> miles away.
>
> N.

Harry & David are wonderful but she eats little fruit and no sweets
because at her age (80) she's able to manage her Type II diabetes via
diet alone (trading off for that that nightly cocktail, I guess? LOL)
She still plays tennis 2x/week and golf 1x/week, so she's no invalid.
She just is careful. She lives alone so doesn't need a large quantity of
anything. I'm thinking wine and cheese could be good, but want to find
the right purveyor. I'll look at that Amana Colonies. Don't they do a
good blue cheese?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:43:10 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>Nancy2 wrote:
>> On Nov 17, 1:26 pm, Goomba > wrote:
>>> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
>>> friends or family for Christmas? Any recommendations on good companies
>>> to deal with? Anything special I need to be aware of?
>>>
>>> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
>>> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
>>>

>> "Harry and David" get kudos from me - my brother & wife send me a
>> towering bunch of boxes every year. Other than that, I like to send
>> gift boxes from our sorta local Amana Colonies, which are only 20
>> miles away.
>>
>> N.

>Harry & David are wonderful but she eats little fruit and no sweets
>because at her age (80) she's able to manage her Type II diabetes via
>diet alone (trading off for that that nightly cocktail, I guess? LOL)
>She still plays tennis 2x/week and golf 1x/week, so she's no invalid.
>She just is careful. She lives alone so doesn't need a large quantity of
>anything. I'm thinking wine and cheese could be good, but want to find
>the right purveyor. I'll look at that Amana Colonies. Don't they do a
>good blue cheese?

My brother sent me wine a few times, he paid twice what it would have
cost at any neighborhood package store and the shipping was
outrageous. I've been sent cheeses too, arrived spoiled from exposure
to warm weather... also much more expensive than from any stupidmarket
deli. Because you mentioned diabetes I won't suggest my best dried
fruit source... so best nuts on the planet... their pistachios are
legendary and their cashews are to die for, flavor like no other and
so huge if you stuffed one in each cup everyone would think you were
nursing... well, you do nurse. hehe
http://www.zenobianut.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zeppo" > wrote in message
> "George" > wrote in message
>> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

>>> Do you live or does she live in a state where alcohol is regulated by
>>> the state? Here in PA you can get gift cards for the local state store
>>> or as it's called on the Main Line...the Wine and Spirits Shoppe.
>>> -ginny

>> I thought they called all of them that to disguise they are government
>> stores? I did notice they disguise them further at a few places by
>> calling them premium wine boutiques and other cutsey names.

> Most people still call them the 'State Store'.
>
> A monopoly by any other name....
>
> Jon

NC used to call them the ABC Store (Alcoholic Beverage Control)...we always
called them Aunt Betty's Cookie Store, or Aunt Betty's for short.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> "Zeppo" > wrote in message

> >> I thought they called all of them that to disguise they are government
> >> stores? I did notice they disguise them further at a few places by
> >> calling them premium wine boutiques and other cutsey names.

> > Most people still call them the 'State Store'.
> >
> > A monopoly by any other name....
> >
> > Jon

> NC used to call them the ABC Store (Alcoholic Beverage Control)...we always
> called them Aunt Betty's Cookie Store, or Aunt Betty's for short.

The folks in Hawaii know about ABC stores (not the same thing)...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> On Nov 17, 1:26 pm, Goomba > wrote:
>> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
>> friends or family for Christmas? Any recommendations on good
>> companies to deal with? Anything special I need to be aware of?
>>
>> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
>> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
>>

> "Harry and David" get kudos from me - my brother & wife send me a
> towering bunch of boxes every year. Other than that, I like to send
> gift boxes from our sorta local Amana Colonies, which are only 20
> miles away.

Yup, I'll be putting in my Amana order soon, when I was a kid we'd go there
to eat at one of the communal dining rooms (kinda like the Amish places
around Lancaster PA) and then go salivate at the beautiful furniture at the
Amana stores... then we'd visit the then - new Herbert Hoover Presidential
Library in Long Branch and meander back to Western Illanoy via the back
roads. A pleasant Sunday excursion...sending those Amana boxes to family
now brings back those lovely times.

Amana stuff is top - quality, also reasonably - priced and shipping is free
within the Midwest area and very reasonable further afield...Amanans are
Iowa folks of very fine character, as peeps go Iowans in general are the
"real deal":

http://www.amanameatshop.com/

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:31:35 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Nov 17, 1:26*pm, Goomba > wrote:
>> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
>> friends or family for Christmas? *Any recommendations on good companies
>> to deal with? *Anything special I need to be aware of?
>>
>> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
>> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
>>

>"Harry and David" get kudos from me - my brother & wife send me a
>towering bunch of boxes every year. Other than that, I like to send
>gift boxes from our sorta local Amana Colonies, which are only 20
>miles away.
>
>N.

I have ordered Harry and David presents before. Costco also offers a
few of their gifts through their online service and sometimes offers
better deals than going directly to H&D.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 3:43*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> > On Nov 17, 1:26 pm, Goomba > wrote:
> >> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
> >> friends or family for Christmas? *Any recommendations on good companies
> >> to deal with? *Anything special I need to be aware of?

> >> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
> >> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are

> > "Harry and David" get kudos from me - my brother & wife send me a
> > towering bunch of boxes every year. *Other than that, I like to send
> > gift boxes from our sorta local Amana Colonies, which are only 20
> > miles away.

> > N.

> Harry & David are wonderful but she eats little fruit and no sweets
> because at her age (80) she's able to manage her Type II diabetes via
> diet alone (trading off for that that nightly cocktail, I guess? LOL)
> She still plays tennis 2x/week and golf 1x/week, so she's no invalid.
> She just is careful. She lives alone so doesn't need a large quantity of
> anything. I'm thinking wine and cheese could be good, but want to find
> the right purveyor. I'll look at that Amana Colonies. Don't they do a
> good blue cheese?- Hide quoted text -

No, the famous Iowa blue cheese is "Maytag." Amana might offer Maytag
blue, but I doubt it. I do know they offer about everything they can
ship, online....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 18, 5:09*am, "Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> > On Nov 17, 1:26 pm, Goomba > wrote:
> >> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
> >> friends or family for Christmas? Any recommendations on good
> >> companies to deal with? Anything special I need to be aware of?

> >> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
> >> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are

> > "Harry and David" get kudos from me - my brother & wife send me a
> > towering bunch of boxes every year. *Other than that, I like to send
> > gift boxes from our sorta local Amana Colonies, which are only 20
> > miles away.

> Yup, I'll be putting in my Amana order soon, when I was a kid we'd go there
> to eat at one of the communal dining rooms (kinda like the Amish places
> around Lancaster PA) and then go salivate at the beautiful furniture at the
> Amana stores... then we'd visit the then - new Herbert Hoover Presidential
> Library in Long Branch

West Branch ;-) The Long Branch is a saloon in Cedar Rapids. ;-)

and meander back to Western Illanoy via the back
> roads. *A pleasant Sunday excursion...sending those Amana boxes to family
> now brings back those lovely times.
>
> Amana stuff is top - quality, also reasonably - priced and shipping is free
> within the Midwest area and very reasonable further afield...Amanans are
> Iowa folks of very fine character, as peeps go Iowans in general are the
> "real deal":
>
> http://www.amanameatshop.com/
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Maytag Blue is available through Epicurious and Amazon, to name a
couple.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:31:35 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:

>> "Harry and David" get kudos from me - my brother & wife send me a
>> towering bunch of boxes every year. Other than that, I like to send
>> gift boxes from our sorta local Amana Colonies, which are only 20
>> miles away.

> I have ordered Harry and David presents before. Costco also offers a
> few of their gifts through their online service and sometimes offers
> better deals than going directly to H&D.

Someone sent me one of their towers and that's how I got hooked
on their chocolate mints. They have a couple of outlet stores I
try to stay out of.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:36:45 -0500, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> "Zeppo" > wrote in message

>>> I thought they called all of them that to disguise they are government
>>> stores? I did notice they disguise them further at a few places by
>>> calling them premium wine boutiques and other cutsey names.

>> Most people still call them the 'State Store'.
>>
>> A monopoly by any other name....
>>
>> Jon

> NC used to call them the ABC Store (Alcoholic Beverage Control)...we always
> called them Aunt Betty's Cookie Store, or Aunt Betty's for short.

my dad used to refer to the county-owned store as the 'package store'
(montgomery co, md.), and i do, too. sometimes called an 'off-license'
store, meaning the alcohol must be consumed off the premises. barrooms in
the county that sell beer to go have an 'on- and off-license.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking
j h j h is offline

For those can handle the richness, Cheesy Eddie's in Rochester NY will
ship absolutely fabulous cheesecakes. Guaranteed to make friends for
life. Jan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote:

> Anything special I need to be aware of?

A lot of states seem to ban interstate wine shipments, even though it
appears to violate the Commerce clause of the US Constitution.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 1:26*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
> friends or family for Christmas? *Any recommendations on good companies
> to deal with? *Anything special I need to be aware of?
>
> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
> TOUGH!! I know she enjoys her sherry and I often send her bottles of Tio
> Pepe, but I wanted something more interesting, perhaps a "wine of the
> month" type deal.
>
> All suggestions welcome
> Goomba

G., I got a lovely sales brochure in the mail yesterday from
http://www.tasselridge.com, which even being in Iowa, I hadn't heard
about ... there are some interesting-looking wines (if your stepmom is
adventurous), along with some other nifty gift items. I don't know
anything about the company, but they certainly put out a beautiful
glossy sales brochure. They also have unique gift bags/etc. for wine
gifting.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> G., I got a lovely sales brochure in the mail yesterday from
> http://www.tasselridge.com, which even being in Iowa, I hadn't heard
> about ... there are some interesting-looking wines (if your stepmom is
> adventurous), along with some other nifty gift items. I don't know
> anything about the company, but they certainly put out a beautiful
> glossy sales brochure. They also have unique gift bags/etc. for wine
> gifting.
>
> N.

Wine from Iowa. Go figure? Thanks. What a wealth of good products and
companies that seem to call Iowa home! Amana, Maytag blue cheese, now
this winery. And people from Iowa seem so...so... NORMAL!! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 2:55*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:43:10 -0500, Goomba >
> wrote:
>

> >Nancy2 wrote:

> >> "Harry and David" get kudos from me - my brother & wife send me a
> >> towering bunch of boxes every year. *Other than that, I like to send
> >> gift boxes from our sorta local Amana Colonies, which are only 20
> >> miles away.

> >> N.

> >Harry & David are wonderful but she eats little fruit and no sweets
> >because at her age (80) she's able to manage her Type II diabetes via
> >diet alone (trading off for that that nightly cocktail, I guess? LOL)
> >She still plays tennis 2x/week and golf 1x/week, so she's no invalid.
> >She just is careful. She lives alone so doesn't need a large quantity of
> >anything. I'm thinking wine and cheese could be good, but want to find
> >the right purveyor. I'll look at that Amana Colonies. Don't they do a
> >good blue cheese?

> My brother sent me wine a few times, he paid twice what it would have
> cost at any neighborhood package store and the shipping was
> outrageous. *I've been sent cheeses too, arrived spoiled from exposure
> to warm weather... also much more expensive than from any stupidmarket
> deli. *Because you mentioned diabetes I won't suggest my best dried
> fruit source... so best nuts on the planet... their pistachios are
> legendary and their cashews are to die for, flavor like no other and
> so huge if you stuffed one in each cup everyone would think you were
> nursing... well, you do nurse. hehehttp://www.zenobianut.com/- Hide quoted text -

Holy Crap! Those are some expensive nuts!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 2:26*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines to
> friends or family for Christmas? *Any recommendations on good companies
> to deal with? *Anything special I need to be aware of?
>
> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
> TOUGH!! I know she enjoys her sherry and I often send her bottles of Tio
> Pepe, but I wanted something more interesting, perhaps a "wine of the
> month" type deal.

How about some very good coffee beans?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Nov 17, 2:26 pm, Goomba > wrote:
>> Has anyone ever used a mail order wine company to send gift wines
>> friends or family for Christmas? Any recommendations on good
>> companies to deal with? Anything special I need to be aware of?
>>
>> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
>> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
>> TOUGH!! I know she enjoys her sherry and I often send her bottles
>> of
>> Tio Pepe, but I wanted something more interesting, perhaps a "wine
>> of the month" type deal.

I've saved this interesting link for a long time but have never used
them. Interesting site, though:

http://www.wineofthemonthclub.com/

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

>> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
>> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
>> TOUGH!! I know she enjoys her sherry and I often send her bottles of Tio
>> Pepe, but I wanted something more interesting, perhaps a "wine of the
>> month" type deal.

> How about some very good coffee beans?

Got a suggestion on what type or where to buy some? I don't drink coffee
so I'm clueless on it. She does drink some so it certainly is a
consideration.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:37:18 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>Kalmia wrote:
>
>>> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
>>> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
>>> TOUGH!! I know she enjoys her sherry and I often send her bottles of Tio
>>> Pepe, but I wanted something more interesting, perhaps a "wine of the
>>> month" type deal.

>> How about some very good coffee beans?
>>

>Got a suggestion on what type or where to buy some? I don't drink coffee
>so I'm clueless on it. She does drink some so it certainly is a
>consideration.

How about a selection? Walking into a coffee shop is like walking
into a candy store! I could tell you what *I* like, but your step
mother might not like coffee that strong. Better yet, why not order
some pure Kona from Cea and support one of our own?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote:

> I've saved this interesting link for a long time but have never used
> them. Interesting site, though:
>
> http://www.wineofthemonthclub.com/
>
> Dora

Thanks!!! I just ordered her a 6 month membership, sending her one
bottle of white and one bottle of red each month! Now I'm still looking
for some food treats to send her too....
I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
Better yet, why not order
> some pure Kona from Cea and support one of our own?

Got a link?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Dora wrote:
>

>> I've saved this interesting link for a long time but have never
>> used
>> them. Interesting site, though:
>>
>> http://www.wineofthemonthclub.com/
>>
>> Dora

> Thanks!!! I just ordered her a 6 month membership, sending her one
> bottle of white and one bottle of red each month! Now I'm still
> looking for some food treats to send her too....
> I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders!

Yes, the wonders of shopping on the internet. Saves a lot of
headaches, doesn't it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:13:42 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
> Better yet, why not order
>> some pure Kona from Cea and support one of our own?
>>

>Got a link?

I think it's in her sig line.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Kalmia wrote:
>
> >> I'm stumped as to what to send my step-mother for Christmas. If she
> >> needed or wanted anything she'd just go get it. Christmas gifts are
> >> TOUGH!! I know she enjoys her sherry and I often send her bottles of Tio
> >> Pepe, but I wanted something more interesting, perhaps a "wine of the
> >> month" type deal.

> > How about some very good coffee beans?
> >

> Got a suggestion on what type or where to buy some? I don't drink coffee
> so I'm clueless on it. She does drink some so it certainly is a
> consideration.

Cea from this group, along with family, grow, pick, roast and sell Kona
coffee from Hawaii. I think they sell nuts also:

http://smithfarms.com/

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA