Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default spatchcock

Mostly, I like the sound of the word.

I'm very content cramming a bird with garlic and herbs and roasting
her whole, but it would be a shame to die without spatchcoking
something. So, this week, practice for Tx, it is going to be a couple
of those mini-chickens - thawed, brined, spatchcocked, dried, roasted.
After three days' prep, I bet it will "taste like chicken".

Bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" > wrote in message
> Mostly, I like the sound of the word.
>
> I'm very content cramming a bird with garlic and herbs and roasting
> her whole, but it would be a shame to die without spatchcoking
> something. So, this week, practice for Tx, it is going to be a couple
> of those mini-chickens - thawed, brined, spatchcocked, dried, roasted.
> After three days' prep, I bet it will "taste like chicken".
>
> Bulka

I do it for 'chicken-under-a-brick' on the grill. Works a-treat.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message
> I spatchcock regularly.

It will make you go blind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "l, not -l" > wrote in message
>> I spatchcock regularly.

> It will make you go blind.

ROTFLMAO! Haven't heard that phrase since I was a teenager.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "l, not -l" > wrote in message
>>> I spatchcock regularly.

>> It will make you go blind.

> ROTFLMAO! Haven't heard that phrase since I was a teenager.

Don't laugh, its true. I'm already wearing glasses. Bifocals even; I have to
stop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >>
> >> It will make you go blind.

> > ROTFLMAO! Haven't heard that phrase since I was a teenager.

> Don't laugh, its true. I'm already wearing glasses. Bifocals even; I have to
> stop.

Oh, dear Alex! TMI, Ed. T. M. I.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 15-Nov-2009, bulka > wrote:
>
>> Mostly, I like the sound of the word.
>>
>> I'm very content cramming a bird with garlic and herbs and roasting
>> her whole, but it would be a shame to die without spatchcoking
>> something. So, this week, practice for Tx, it is going to be a couple
>> of those mini-chickens - thawed, brined, spatchcocked, dried, roasted.
>> After three days' prep, I bet it will "taste like chicken".
>>
>> Bulka

> I spatchcock regularly. That is the only way I can get a whole chicken into
> my stovetop smoker. Most recently I did it with two cornish hens and a
> little applewood. Mighty fine.

I spatchcock cornish hens, too. I just love saying "spatchcock" It makes
me sound like I have a clue as to what I'm doing. <g>

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 9:53*pm, bulka > wrote:
> Mostly, I like the sound of the word.
>
> I'm very content cramming a bird with garlic and herbs and roasting
> her whole, but it would be a shame to die without spatchcoking
> something. *So, this week, practice for Tx, it is going to be a couple
> of those mini-chickens - thawed, brined, spatchcocked, dried, roasted.
> After three days' prep, I bet it will "taste like chicken".

If you foil tent the breast through the first 2/3 of the cooking it
will turn out nicer. The other way is to roast the little hens breast
down after disarticulating the thighs and bringing the legs together,
leaving the breast down in a little Swanson broth, then flipping to
brown the skin on the breast. I do it in an old Corning Ware
casserole dish. Getting thighs thoroughly done w/o drying out breasts
is always a challenge.

> Bulka

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "l, not -l" wrote:
>>>
>>> I spatchcock regularly.

>> It will make you go blind.

>ROTFLMAO! Haven't heard that phrase since I was a teenager.

Are you saying spatchcocking made you go deaf too? heheh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" ha scritto nel messaggio

> Mostly, I like the sound of the word.
>
> I'm very content cramming a bird with garlic and herbs and roasting> her
> whole, but it would be a shame to die without spatchcoking> something.
> So, this week, practice for Tx, it is going to be a couple> of those
> mini-chickens - thawed, brined, spatchcocked, dried, roasted.
> After three days' prep, I bet it will "taste like chicken".
>
> Bulka

Since you are so enthusiastic, try this. Do that thing to a chicken, then
rub it all over with prepared mustard. Dredge the bird both sides very
thoroughly in herbed dry bread crumbs with a good dose of hot pepper in
them. If you've time, let it sit for 30-60 minutes for the crumbs to set,
or as long as you like in the fridge. Preheated oven is 475°F. Slide the
chicken into it and cook for 25 to 35 minutes, depending on the size of
course. It will be incredibly juicy and tasty because the crumbs have
protected it from the superhot oven.

I made this Saturday with no waiting time. The breast meat was still
producing juices when I ate the last of it last night.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:25:32 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"bulka" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> Mostly, I like the sound of the word.
>>
>> I'm very content cramming a bird with garlic and herbs and roasting> her
>> whole, but it would be a shame to die without spatchcoking> something.
>> So, this week, practice for Tx, it is going to be a couple> of those
>> mini-chickens - thawed, brined, spatchcocked, dried, roasted.
>> After three days' prep, I bet it will "taste like chicken".
>>
>> Bulka

>Since you are so enthusiastic, try this. Do that thing to a chicken, then
>rub it all over with prepared mustard. Dredge the bird both sides very
>thoroughly in herbed dry bread crumbs with a good dose of hot pepper in
>them. If you've time, let it sit for 30-60 minutes for the crumbs to set,
>or as long as you like in the fridge. Preheated oven is 475°F. Slide the
>chicken into it and cook for 25 to 35 minutes, depending on the size of
>course.

Even at such high temperture a chicken needd way more than a half
hour.

>It will be incredibly juicy and tasty because the crumbs have
>protected it from the superhot oven.

At 475ºF the crumbs would become charcoal long before the chicken is
fully cooked... even prepared mustard would burn, prepared mustard is
mustard powder with water, it would have fully dried in 5-10 minutes
and then quickly begin to burn.

>I made this Saturday with no waiting time. The breast meat was still
>producing juices when I ate the last of it last night.

Show us. If you actually did this at minimum you'd have specified
what type of mustard. Even a turkey sandwich from the deli is rarely
ordered with mustard... mayo, even kitchup, but not mustard... like
everything else you say you just made that up... hardly anyone eats
poultry with mustard Some use hot Chinese mustard with poultry but as
a condiment, not as a flavoring prior to cooking. Poultry with
mustard is definitely TIAD!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:25:32 +0100, Giusi wrote:

> "bulka" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> Mostly, I like the sound of the word.
>>
>> I'm very content cramming a bird with garlic and herbs and roasting> her
>> whole, but it would be a shame to die without spatchcoking> something.
>> So, this week, practice for Tx, it is going to be a couple> of those
>> mini-chickens - thawed, brined, spatchcocked, dried, roasted.
>> After three days' prep, I bet it will "taste like chicken".
>>
>> Bulka

> Since you are so enthusiastic, try this. Do that thing to a chicken, then
> rub it all over with prepared mustard. Dredge the bird both sides very
> thoroughly in herbed dry bread crumbs with a good dose of hot pepper in
> them. If you've time, let it sit for 30-60 minutes for the crumbs to set,
> or as long as you like in the fridge. Preheated oven is 475°F. Slide the
> chicken into it and cook for 25 to 35 minutes, depending on the size of
> course. It will be incredibly juicy and tasty because the crumbs have
> protected it from the superhot oven.
>
> I made this Saturday with no waiting time. The breast meat was still
> producing juices when I ate the last of it last night.

this sounds very interesting. i think i will try it with the next
drumsticks i cook.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message

> this sounds very interesting. i think i will try it with the next
> drumsticks i cook.
>
> your pal,
> blake

You let me down. pal. When I saw you had posted about "spatchcocking" I
expected better than a mundane comment about poultry prep.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:37:29 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> It will make you go blind.

>> ROTFLMAO! Haven't heard that phrase since I was a teenager.

> Don't laugh, its true. I'm already wearing glasses. Bifocals even; I have to
> stop.

just use one hand, you'll only go nearsighted.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"l, not -l" > wrote:

> On 15-Nov-2009, bulka > wrote:
>
> > Mostly, I like the sound of the word.
> >
> > I'm very content cramming a bird with garlic and herbs and roasting
> > her whole, but it would be a shame to die without spatchcoking
> > something. So, this week, practice for Tx, it is going to be a couple
> > of those mini-chickens - thawed, brined, spatchcocked, dried, roasted.
> > After three days' prep, I bet it will "taste like chicken".
> >
> > Bulka

> I spatchcock regularly. That is the only way I can get a whole chicken into
> my stovetop smoker. Most recently I did it with two cornish hens and a
> little applewood. Mighty fine.

I just find that spatching makes the bird cook more evenly when roasting
or grilling. I've been doing it a LOT more often lately when cooking
whole birds.

I'm considering it with this years turkey. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" > wrote in message
> Mostly, I like the sound of the word.
>
> I'm very content cramming a bird with garlic and herbs and roasting
> her whole, but it would be a shame to die without spatchcoking
> something. So, this week, practice for Tx, it is going to be a couple
> of those mini-chickens - thawed, brined, spatchcocked, dried, roasted.
> After three days' prep, I bet it will "taste like chicken".
>
> Bulka

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/juicysp.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>
>> this sounds very interesting. i think i will try it with the next
>> drumsticks i cook.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> You let me down. pal. When I saw you had posted about "spatchcocking"
> I expected better than a mundane comment about poultry prep.

After blake induces orgasm he lets his gals down "easy"...he'll wait at
least FIVE minutes before he turns over and starts snoring...

;-P

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy"

> this sounds very interesting. i think i will try it with the next>
> drumsticks i cook.

I have no idea if this makes a difference with parts. I only do it with
spatchcocked birds. Why don't you try a pigeon?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 8:50*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> I just find that spatching makes the bird cook more evenly when roasting
> or grilling. *I've been doing it a LOT more often lately when cooking
> whole birds.
>
> I'm considering it with this years turkey. ;-)

But think of the stuffing!

> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:12:33 -0500, Felice wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>
>> this sounds very interesting. i think i will try it with the next
>> drumsticks i cook.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> You let me down. pal. When I saw you had posted about "spatchcocking" I
> expected better than a mundane comment about poultry prep.
>
> Felice

nah, too easy. i aim for subtle obscenity.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:06:34 +0100, Giusi wrote:

> "blake murphy"
>
>> this sounds very interesting. i think i will try it with the next>
>> drumsticks i cook.

> I have no idea if this makes a difference with parts. I only do it with
> spatchcocked birds. Why don't you try a pigeon?

first i'd have to get one.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My spatchcockery adventure. Not as much fun as it sounded.

So, why do we do this? It did, in fact, taste like chicken.

I should probably post this on the "common mistakes" thread - I got
confused and did two contradictory things at once. Spatchcocked em,
then tied them up to be solid lump of bird again. So what was the
point?

My first time, but it was ugly. I'll get better, and remember that
once they are flat to leave them flat. Trussing them up, I felt like
a field medic at a train wreck.

Next project is to learn to debone one of these little things so I can
cram it up this huge turkey.

Bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:50:11 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Omelet
> wrote,
>I just find that spatching makes the bird cook more evenly when roasting
>or grilling. I've been doing it a LOT more often lately when cooking
>whole birds.
>
>I'm considering it with this years turkey. ;-)

If you do, be _sure_ to take a picture of that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
--Bryan > wrote:

> On Nov 17, 8:50*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > I just find that spatching makes the bird cook more evenly when roasting
> > or grilling. *I've been doing it a LOT more often lately when cooking
> > whole birds.
> >
> > I'm considering it with this years turkey. ;-)

> But think of the stuffing!

I quit stuffing turkeys years ago.
Dressing/stuffing gets cooked separately now.

Food safety and all that, and I detest overcooked turkey which is what
you usually get with a stuffed bird...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
David Harmon > wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:50:11 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Omelet
> > wrote,
> >I just find that spatching makes the bird cook more evenly when roasting
> >or grilling. I've been doing it a LOT more often lately when cooking
> >whole birds.
> >
> >I'm considering it with this years turkey. ;-)

> If you do, be _sure_ to take a picture of that.

Nacherally!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Michael Horowitz > wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:27:20 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article > ,
> > David Harmon > wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:50:11 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Omelet

> >> If you do, be _sure_ to take a picture of that.
> >>

> >Nacherally!

> I've used chicken feet in making stock, but never thought to eat them.
> will try it with the turkey carcass - Mike

Did not end up spatching this years turkey... Not yet anyhoo.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Spatchcock a turkey Janet Bostwick General Cooking 18 23-11-2011 05:56 AM
Spatchcock it Opinicus Historic 1 15-03-2007 01:07 PM
Spatchcock Virgin ~-x-y-~ General Cooking 12 20-09-2006 06:27 PM
Need Spatchcock Expert Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 15 12-07-2006 08:36 PM
spatchcock Bob (this one) General Cooking 6 25-06-2004 05:20 AM