Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tuna Conserva?

I'm thinking of making something like tuna conserva, starting
with fresh tuna. (Most of the recipes I have googled up
start with an oil-packed can of tuna, to make a conserva-like
item to be served right away.)

My thinking it to braise the tuna slowly, with salt, and a tiny amount
of broth and seasonings, in the smallest Le Crueset I have,
until it is medium-done. Then, tamp it down into a flat
compressed shape, pour a layer of oil on top, and place it
covered into the refrigerator for anywhere from one to three days.

Will this work? Any food safety concerns with this?

Thanks

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:58:39 +0000 (UTC),

>>I'm thinking of making something like tuna conserva, starting
>>with fresh tuna. (Most of the recipes I have googled up
>>start with an oil-packed can of tuna, to make a conserva-like
>>item to be served right away.)

>>My thinking it to braise the tuna slowly, with salt, and a tiny amount
>>of broth and seasonings, in the smallest Le Crueset I have,
>>until it is medium-done. Then, tamp it down into a flat
>>compressed shape, pour a layer of oil on top, and place it
>>covered into the refrigerator for anywhere from one to three days.

>>Will this work? Any food safety concerns with this?

>Damn, you would ask after I packed one of my newer cookbooks. I do
>have a method for it, from the new book, Well Preserved.

>The author of that book is Eugenia Bone, who happens to be the
>daughter of a well respected Italian cook (and artist), Ed Giobbi. She
>was taught to do this from an early age..and the method is in that
>book.

Thanks. A little googling turned up her recipe. It involves
the full home-canning trip, with mason jars, a pressure canner,
and a recommended shelf time of six months to develop flavor.

I don't have the necessary equipment or time right now, but maybe
someday.

(There are of course also the potted fish recipes from Elizabeth
David, which probably amount to the same thing...except with goose fat.)

Steve

REVIEW: Trader Joe's Tuna in Green Curry and Tuna in Red Panang Curry Mark Thorson General Cooking 5 10-01-2011 07:23 AM
Chicken of the sea? Tuna farming getting a boost Chicken of the sea?As sushi boom depletes wild stocks, Japanese look to farmed tuna [email protected] Sushi 0 06-12-2009 05:07 PM
Tuna patsyjo General Cooking 0 06-06-2004 07:39 PM
Tuna PENMART01 General Cooking 1 02-06-2004 11:20 PM