Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brussels sprouts stalks

The first time I saw how Brussels sprouts grew, I thought it was
comical. I never wondered how they grew, but I saw them in some
seed catalog.

The other day I was at the produce market, picking through the
green beans. Two senior ladies were doing the same thing when
one of them spied the Brussels sprouts stalks on the next display.

I almost laughed out loud when she said Look! Brussels sprouts.
Then, I guess that's how they grow.

(laugh) I pictured someone gluing Brussels sprouts on a green
stalk for a nice presentation to sell.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> The first time I saw how Brussels sprouts grew, I thought it was
> comical. I never wondered how they grew, but I saw them in some
> seed catalog.
> The other day I was at the produce market, picking through the
> green beans. Two senior ladies were doing the same thing when
> one of them spied the Brussels sprouts stalks on the next display.
>
> I almost laughed out loud when she said Look! Brussels sprouts.
> Then, I guess that's how they grow.
>
> (laugh) I pictured someone gluing Brussels sprouts on a green
> stalk for a nice presentation to sell.
>
> nancy

They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a few of
them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible centerpiece for
a few weeks. Course I was paying for them by the pound so they were some
costly stalks. :-)

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> The first time I saw how Brussels sprouts grew, I thought it was
>> comical. I never wondered how they grew, but I saw them in some
>> seed catalog.
>> The other day I was at the produce market, picking through the
>> green beans. Two senior ladies were doing the same thing when
>> one of them spied the Brussels sprouts stalks on the next display.
>>
>> I almost laughed out loud when she said Look! Brussels sprouts.
>> Then, I guess that's how they grow.
>>
>> (laugh) I pictured someone gluing Brussels sprouts on a green
>> stalk for a nice presentation to sell.
>>
>> nancy

> They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a few
> of them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible
> centerpiece for a few weeks. Course I was paying for them by the pound
> so they were some costly stalks. :-)
>
> Jon

They are fairly easy to grow in most parts of the country. Had a
neighbor who grew them in a flower bed in her front yard. Go here for
info: http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies...ssprouts1.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> The first time I saw how Brussels sprouts grew, I thought it was
>> comical. I never wondered how they grew, but I saw them in some
>> seed catalog.

> They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a
> few of them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible
> centerpiece for a few weeks.

That's a cool idea! They are striking.

> Course I was paying for them by the
> pound so they were some costly stalks. :-)

Yikes. I've only seen them sold by the stalk, that I've noticed. I
bought one a few weeks ago. I think it was $2.99. Roasted
them with oil and balsamic vinegar. Very tasty. I get why
people might not like them, but I do.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 8:38*am, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > The first time I saw how Brussels sprouts grew, I thought it was
> > comical. *I never wondered how they grew, but I saw them in some
> > seed catalog.
> > The other day I was at the produce market, picking through the
> > green beans. *Two senior ladies were doing the same thing when
> > one of them spied the Brussels sprouts stalks on the next display.

> > I almost laughed out loud when she said Look! *Brussels sprouts.
> > Then, I guess that's how they grow.

> > (laugh) *I pictured someone gluing Brussels sprouts on a green
> > stalk for a nice presentation to sell.

> > nancy

> They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a few of
> them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible centerpiece for
> a few weeks. Course I was paying for them by the pound so they were some
> costly stalks. :-)

Many folks don't realize that brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli,
cauliflower and kale are all the same species, just different
varieties.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassica_oleracea

I hate them all as far as putting them in my mouth, but they are sure
pretty to look at.

> Jon

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zeppo" > wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> > The first time I saw how Brussels sprouts grew, I thought it was
> > comical. I never wondered how they grew, but I saw them in some
> > seed catalog.
> > The other day I was at the produce market, picking through the
> > green beans. Two senior ladies were doing the same thing when
> > one of them spied the Brussels sprouts stalks on the next display.

> They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a few of
> them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible centerpiece for
> a few weeks. Course I was paying for them by the pound so they were some
> costly stalks. :-)

This came up on another (local) food group. Somebody was complaining
that the price per pound for sprouts on stalks was higher than cut
sprouts, and that was a ripoff since the stalks were waste. Somebody
else posted that they ate the stalks, and they tasted like broccoli.
Makes sense. They're all part of the cabbage family. The sprouts are
mini cabbages and broccoli is basically cabbage flower buds.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Zeppo wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> The first time I saw how Brussels sprouts grew, I thought it was
>>> comical. I never wondered how they grew, but I saw them in some
>>> seed catalog.

>> They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a
>> few of them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible
>> centerpiece for a few weeks.

> That's a cool idea! They are striking.
>
>> Course I was paying for them by the
>> pound so they were some costly stalks. :-)

> Yikes. I've only seen them sold by the stalk, that I've noticed. I
> bought one a few weeks ago. I think it was $2.99. Roasted them with
> oil and balsamic vinegar. Very tasty. I get why people might not like
> them, but I do.
>
> nancy

Brussels sprouts are one of my favorites. I tried growing them and only
got "micro sprouts".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> "Zeppo" > wrote:
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>> The first time I saw how Brussels sprouts grew, I thought it was
>>> comical. I never wondered how they grew, but I saw them in some
>>> seed catalog.
>>> The other day I was at the produce market, picking through the
>>> green beans. Two senior ladies were doing the same thing when
>>> one of them spied the Brussels sprouts stalks on the next display.

>> They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a few of
>> them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible centerpiece for
>> a few weeks. Course I was paying for them by the pound so they were some
>> costly stalks. :-)

> This came up on another (local) food group. Somebody was complaining
> that the price per pound for sprouts on stalks was higher than cut
> sprouts, and that was a ripoff since the stalks were waste. Somebody
> else posted that they ate the stalks, and they tasted like broccoli.
> Makes sense. They're all part of the cabbage family. The sprouts are
> mini cabbages and broccoli is basically cabbage flower buds.

And the stalk is the best part of broccoli and almost impossible to
find. The local Italian market used to have broccoli with stalks but
according to one of the owners sons all of the big box places specify
broccoli crowns so "whole broccoli" doesn't get into distribution.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> This came up on another (local) food group. Somebody was complaining
> that the price per pound for sprouts on stalks was higher than cut
> sprouts, and that was a ripoff since the stalks were waste. Somebody
> else posted that they ate the stalks, and they tasted like broccoli.

Interesting. I'll remember that bonus next time, I love broccoli.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 8:49*am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> *Somebody else posted that they ate the stalks, and they tasted like broccoli. *
> Makes sense. *They're all part of the cabbage family. *The sprouts are
> mini cabbages and broccoli is basically cabbage flower buds.

Not just same family. Same species.

> --
> Dan Abel

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> The first time I saw how Brussels sprouts grew, I thought it was
> comical. I never wondered how they grew, but I saw them in some
> seed catalog.
> The other day I was at the produce market, picking through the
> green beans. Two senior ladies were doing the same thing when
> one of them spied the Brussels sprouts stalks on the next display.
>
> I almost laughed out loud when she said Look! Brussels sprouts.
> Then, I guess that's how they grow.
>
> (laugh) I pictured someone gluing Brussels sprouts on a green
> stalk for a nice presentation to sell.
>
> nancy

For those who have not seem them, here are some photos.

http://aboutgardening.files.wordpres...prout_igor.jpg

http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetabl...ls-sprouts.jpg

http://tinyfarmblog.com/wp-content/u...ts_harvest.jpg

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a few of
> >> them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible centerpiece for
> >> a few weeks. Course I was paying for them by the pound so they were some
> >> costly stalks. :-)

> > This came up on another (local) food group. Somebody was complaining
> > that the price per pound for sprouts on stalks was higher than cut
> > sprouts, and that was a ripoff since the stalks were waste. Somebody
> > else posted that they ate the stalks, and they tasted like broccoli.
> > Makes sense. They're all part of the cabbage family. The sprouts are
> > mini cabbages and broccoli is basically cabbage flower buds.
> >

> And the stalk is the best part of broccoli and almost impossible to
> find. The local Italian market used to have broccoli with stalks but
> according to one of the owners sons all of the big box places specify
> broccoli crowns so "whole broccoli" doesn't get into distribution.

Must be a regional thing. Here in N. TX the grocery stores I shop at
usually have both bunch broccoli (w/ stems) and broccoli crowns (wo/
stems).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Zeppo wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> The first time I saw how Brussels sprouts grew, I thought it was
>>> comical. I never wondered how they grew, but I saw them in some
>>> seed catalog.

>> They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a
>> few of them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible
>> centerpiece for a few weeks.

> That's a cool idea! They are striking.
>
>> Course I was paying for them by the
>> pound so they were some costly stalks. :-)

> Yikes. I've only seen them sold by the stalk, that I've noticed. I
> bought one a few weeks ago. I think it was $2.99. Roasted them with oil
> and balsamic vinegar. Very tasty. I get why people might not like them,
> but I do.
>
> nancy

At the markets around here you usually only find loose Brussels sprouts in a
bin. I've been buying them for 20 years and just saw them on stalks for the
first time last year.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Zeppo wrote:
>>

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>> The first time I saw how Brussels sprouts grew, I thought it was
>>> comical. I never wondered how they grew, but I saw them in some
>>> seed catalog.
>>> The other day I was at the produce market, picking through the
>>> green beans. Two senior ladies were doing the same thing when
>>> one of them spied the Brussels sprouts stalks on the next display.
>>>
>>> I almost laughed out loud when she said Look! Brussels sprouts.
>>> Then, I guess that's how they grow.
>>>
>>> (laugh) I pictured someone gluing Brussels sprouts on a green
>>> stalk for a nice presentation to sell.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a few
>> of them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible
>> centerpiece for a few weeks. Course I was paying for them by the pound so
>> they were some costly stalks. :-)
>>
>> Jon

> They are fairly easy to grow in most parts of the country. Had a neighbor
> who grew them in a flower bed in her front yard. Go here for info:
> http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies...ssprouts1.html

Excellent idea George. I'll start reading up on what I need to do now. I'll
probably need to start then from seed as the garden centers around here
don't usually carry the plants (which is how I've been filling my garden).

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:11:22 -0500, George >
wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>> Zeppo wrote:
>>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a
>>> few of them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible
>>> centerpiece for a few weeks.

>> That's a cool idea! They are striking.
>>
>>> Course I was paying for them by the
>>> pound so they were some costly stalks. :-)

>> Yikes. I've only seen them sold by the stalk, that I've noticed. I
>> bought one a few weeks ago. I think it was $2.99. Roasted them with
>> oil and balsamic vinegar. Very tasty. I get why people might not like
>> them, but I do.
>>
>> nancy

>Brussels sprouts are one of my favorites. I tried growing them and only
>got "micro sprouts".

They are not easy to grow, nor do they grow just anywhere. Brussels
sprouts grow in northern climes on rich land near the coast, they seem
to thrive on salt air and from morning fog. I've seen huge fields
growing on Long Island, the stalks are typically sold at roadside...
I've never seen them sold by the pound, only by the stalk... the stalk
weighs more than the sprouts, and not all the sprouts on a stalk are
edible, those at the very top are too immature, those at the bottom
are beginning to rot. I've tried growing brussels sprouts several
times, never had much luck... they are very susceptible to pests and
since I don't use insecticides the bugs and worms got mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 13, 8:48 am, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:11:22 -0500, George >
> wrote:
>

> >Nancy Young wrote:

> >> That's a cool idea! They are striking.

> >> Yikes. I've only seen them sold by the stalk, that I've noticed. I
> >> bought one a few weeks ago. I think it was $2.99. Roasted them with
> >> oil and balsamic vinegar. Very tasty. I get why people might not like
> >> them, but I do.

> >> nancy

> >Brussels sprouts are one of my favorites. I tried growing them and only
> >got "micro sprouts".

> They are not easy to grow, nor do they grow just anywhere. Brussels
> sprouts grow in northern climes on rich land near the coast, they seem
> to thrive on salt air and from morning fog. I've seen huge fields
> growing on Long Island, the stalks are typically sold at roadside...
> I've never seen them sold by the pound, only by the stalk... the stalk
> weighs more than the sprouts, and not all the sprouts on a stalk are
> edible, those at the very top are too immature, those at the bottom
> are beginning to rot. I've tried growing brussels sprouts several
> times, never had much luck... they are very susceptible to pests and
> since I don't use insecticides the bugs and worms got mine.

They are a cool season crop here in SoCal. We grew them one winter
and they thrived until one day not that far from harvest time I found
them completely covered with some little black bugs. Didn't get to
eat any and haven't tried again to grow them. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> Zeppo wrote:

>>> They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a
>>> few of them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible
>>> centerpiece for a few weeks. Course I was paying for them by the
>>> pound so they were some costly stalks. :-)
>>>
>>> Jon

>> They are fairly easy to grow in most parts of the country. Had a
>> neighbor who grew them in a flower bed in her front yard. Go here for
>> info: http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies...ssprouts1.html

> Excellent idea George. I'll start reading up on what I need to do now.
> I'll probably need to start then from seed as the garden centers around
> here don't usually carry the plants (which is how I've been filling my
> garden).
>
> Jon

Just treat them like any other cabbage plant, just more fun to grow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thankfully never seen sprouts sold on the stalk, only loose or in nets
(1/2 cwt)

They are not difficult to grow, last year we had best crop ever. As
other half doesn't like them it is just me that eats them.

Still looking for the killer recipe tho

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:13:41 -0500, George wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>> In article >,

>>> They were selling them in Whole Foods this way last year. I bought a few of
>>> them and put them in a vase to keep fresh. We had an edible centerpiece for
>>> a few weeks. Course I was paying for them by the pound so they were some
>>> costly stalks. :-)

>> This came up on another (local) food group. Somebody was complaining
>> that the price per pound for sprouts on stalks was higher than cut
>> sprouts, and that was a ripoff since the stalks were waste. Somebody
>> else posted that they ate the stalks, and they tasted like broccoli.
>> Makes sense. They're all part of the cabbage family. The sprouts are
>> mini cabbages and broccoli is basically cabbage flower buds.
>>

> And the stalk is the best part of broccoli and almost impossible to
> find. The local Italian market used to have broccoli with stalks but
> according to one of the owners sons all of the big box places specify
> broccoli crowns so "whole broccoli" doesn't get into distribution.

i love the broccoli stalks as well, which makes me curious about the
brussels sprouts stalks. though i guess i should try cooking the brussels
sprouts sprouts before branching out.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:01:02 -0600, Pete C. wrote:

> George wrote:
>>
>> Dan Abel wrote:

>>> This came up on another (local) food group. Somebody was complaining
>>> that the price per pound for sprouts on stalks was higher than cut
>>> sprouts, and that was a ripoff since the stalks were waste. Somebody
>>> else posted that they ate the stalks, and they tasted like broccoli.
>>> Makes sense. They're all part of the cabbage family. The sprouts are
>>> mini cabbages and broccoli is basically cabbage flower buds.
>>>

>> And the stalk is the best part of broccoli and almost impossible to
>> find. The local Italian market used to have broccoli with stalks but
>> according to one of the owners sons all of the big box places specify
>> broccoli crowns so "whole broccoli" doesn't get into distribution.

> Must be a regional thing. Here in N. TX the grocery stores I shop at
> usually have both bunch broccoli (w/ stems) and broccoli crowns (wo/
> stems).

i typically see both as well in maryland, with maybe a greater quantity of
the crowns only.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> The first time I saw how Brussels sprouts grew, I thought it was
> comical. I never wondered how they grew, but I saw them in some
> seed catalog.
> The other day I was at the produce market, picking through the
> green beans. Two senior ladies were doing the same thing when
> one of them spied the Brussels sprouts stalks on the next display.
>
> I almost laughed out loud when she said Look! Brussels sprouts.
> Then, I guess that's how they grow.
>
> (laugh) I pictured someone gluing Brussels sprouts on a green
> stalk for a nice presentation to sell.

They present them like that at the Giant I shop in. I did a double take,
too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> (laugh) I pictured someone gluing Brussels sprouts on a green
> stalk for a nice presentation to sell.

I have some in the garden, the sprouts are too small though, the soil is
too compact.

The leaves can be cooked like cabbage btw.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Nov 13, 8:48 am, brooklyn1 > wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:11:22 -0500, George >
>> wrote:

>>> Brussels sprouts are one of my favorites. I tried growing them and only
>>> got "micro sprouts".

>> They are not easy to grow, nor do they grow just anywhere. Brussels
>> sprouts grow in northern climes on rich land near the coast, they seem
>> to thrive on salt air and from morning fog. I've seen huge fields
>> growing on Long Island, the stalks are typically sold at roadside...
>> I've never seen them sold by the pound, only by the stalk... the stalk
>> weighs more than the sprouts, and not all the sprouts on a stalk are
>> edible, those at the very top are too immature, those at the bottom
>> are beginning to rot. I've tried growing brussels sprouts several
>> times, never had much luck... they are very susceptible to pests and
>> since I don't use insecticides the bugs and worms got mine.

> They are a cool season crop here in SoCal. We grew them one winter
> and they thrived until one day not that far from harvest time I found
> them completely covered with some little black bugs. Didn't get to
> eat any and haven't tried again to grow them. -aem

I was just out there a few weeks ago and noticed all of the fields being
prepared for a second crop or newly planted so I had no idea what was
growing or being planted. I am in the NE and we have one relatively
short growing season so I never really thought about cool season crops.
What else is typically planted now?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> George wrote:
>> Dan Abel wrote:

>>> This came up on another (local) food group. Somebody was complaining
>>> that the price per pound for sprouts on stalks was higher than cut
>>> sprouts, and that was a ripoff since the stalks were waste. Somebody
>>> else posted that they ate the stalks, and they tasted like broccoli.
>>> Makes sense. They're all part of the cabbage family. The sprouts are
>>> mini cabbages and broccoli is basically cabbage flower buds.
>>>

>> And the stalk is the best part of broccoli and almost impossible to
>> find. The local Italian market used to have broccoli with stalks but
>> according to one of the owners sons all of the big box places specify
>> broccoli crowns so "whole broccoli" doesn't get into distribution.

> Must be a regional thing. Here in N. TX the grocery stores I shop at
> usually have both bunch broccoli (w/ stems) and broccoli crowns (wo/
> stems).

In the NE. Its really rare to see "whole broccoli" here anymore.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> I was just out there a few weeks ago and noticed all of the fields
> being prepared for a second crop or newly planted so I had no idea
> what was growing or being planted. I am in the NE and we have one
> relatively short growing season so I never really thought about cool
> season crops. What else is typically planted now?

Maybe it's a cover crop?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> I was just out there a few weeks ago and noticed all of the fields being
> prepared for a second crop or newly planted so I had no idea what was
> growing or being planted. I am in the NE and we have one relatively
> short growing season so I never really thought about cool season crops.
> What else is typically planted now?

Hopefully newly planted. Seems to be a bit late to be planting there.

I used to travel on business, unfortunately. I went to Elko, Nevada for
a week. We talked to the banker there. He said farming wasn't great.
They have one of the shortest growing seasons on the US. The only crop
I think they can grow commercially is hay, and that's only with
irrigation.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:11:22 -0500, George >
> wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>> That's a cool idea! They are striking.

>>> Yikes. I've only seen them sold by the stalk, that I've noticed. I
>>> bought one a few weeks ago. I think it was $2.99. Roasted them with
>>> oil and balsamic vinegar. Very tasty. I get why people might not like
>>> them, but I do.
>>>
>>> nancy

>>Brussels sprouts are one of my favorites. I tried growing them and only
>>got "micro sprouts".

> They are not easy to grow, nor do they grow just anywhere. Brussels
> sprouts grow in northern climes on rich land near the coast, they seem
> to thrive on salt air and from morning fog. I've seen huge fields
> growing on Long Island, the stalks are typically sold at roadside...
> I've never seen them sold by the pound, only by the stalk... the stalk
> weighs more than the sprouts, and not all the sprouts on a stalk are
> edible, those at the very top are too immature, those at the bottom
> are beginning to rot. I've tried growing brussels sprouts several
> times, never had much luck... they are very susceptible to pests and
> since I don't use insecticides the bugs and worms got mine.

I've grown them once. They took forever and were quite good. BUT, they
didn't grow straight up and crowded out some of the other plants in the
garden.
They are usually sold by the stalk, although I have seen them sold by the
pound, stripped from the stalk.
They are in-season on Long Island now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

> I've grown them once. They took forever and were quite good. BUT, they
> didn't grow straight up and crowded out some of the other plants in
> the garden.
> They are usually sold by the stalk, although I have seen them sold by
> the pound, stripped from the stalk.

Really, they are pretty much only sold by the pound, off the
stalk, here. On the stalk is something of a novelty, to the point
where that lady I mentioned was surprised to see that's how they
grew.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 05:58:00 -0500, "Kswck" >
wrote:

>They are usually sold by the stalk, although I have seen them sold by the
>pound, stripped from the stalk.

Brussels sprouts sold by the stalk is unusual here. It's more like a
novelty found in farmer's markets.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:54:32 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Really, they are pretty much only sold by the pound, off the
>stalk, here. On the stalk is something of a novelty, to the point
>where that lady I mentioned was surprised to see that's how they
>grew.

I retract my post. You said it all right down to "novelty".

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:54:32 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> Really, they are pretty much only sold by the pound, off the
>> stalk, here. On the stalk is something of a novelty, to the point
>> where that lady I mentioned was surprised to see that's how they
>> grew.

> I retract my post. You said it all right down to "novelty".

I beat you to it thanks to that time zone thing. (laugh)

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Kswck wrote:
>
> > I've grown them once. They took forever and were quite good. BUT, they
> > didn't grow straight up and crowded out some of the other plants in
> > the garden.
> > They are usually sold by the stalk, although I have seen them sold by
> > the pound, stripped from the stalk.

> Really, they are pretty much only sold by the pound, off the
> stalk, here. On the stalk is something of a novelty, to the point
> where that lady I mentioned was surprised to see that's how they
> grew.

On the stalk is a novelty here also. And you generally pay the price
for that. If you don't eat the stalk, what's the point in paying,
often, a higher price per pound when you toss most of it? I think I'm
going to buy a stalk today, if I see one. I will eat the stalk, or at
least cook it.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I remember shopping at Whole Foods and their artichokes came sold with 2-
foot stems. I've eaten the typical short stem and it's as good as the heart
but for $2.00/ea.?!?!?. I suppose I could chop the stem up into several
pieces, peeled and enjoy them as well. Or just move to Castroville, CA and
live out my dying days on cheese and artichoke and avocado omelettes with a
touch of Tabasco here, a pinch of Parmesan there. And artimole or
guacachoke and tortilla chips for snacking.

Andy