Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Default Sandra's Money Saving Meals: Chinese Take Out

Once again, SLop looks like she fell asleep in a tanning machine while
wearing a long ranger mask. Possibly in a vain attempt to distract
attention from her orange face, she wore a black oriental-style shirt
with a "foot o' cleavage" collar. Gah!

SLop's claims that pineaple juice + brown sugar == honey is beyond
ridiculous, and I'm not even going to go into her SLoppy math there, but
the most glaring was her claim that 29 cents is 75% of 60 cents. OK,
then there's her claim that Chinese take-out costs 30 to 40 dollars for
a family of four; the cost of her meal, assuming it's honest, is only a
little less than what I pay, plus, it would taste better.

Apparently FN got a new intern to do the post production work. I noticed
spots where the sound level (or background hum) changed audibly, but the
post-production voice-overs seemed less obvious than usual.

I am sure I asked this before, but I thought you weren't sppsd to use
the marinade after soaking your meat in it.

Uh-oh! Cocktail time is making a comeback! I loved how she dutifully
told us how much more it cost with the booze, and yes, she practically
overturned the bottle over that pitcher. Aren't you glad Aunt Sandie
figured out that the drinks at a bar are more expensive than making them
yourself?

Those fortune cookies were bogus, but to be honest, I expected her to
try and use those Wanton wrappers to make them.

--
That's the great thing about Semi-Homemade Cooking: No matter how bad
we think it's going to be, Sandy manages to make it even worse.

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On Nov 9, 5:12*pm, (Ubiquitous) wrote:
> Once again, SLop looks like she fell asleep in a tanning machine while
> wearing a long ranger mask. Possibly in a vain attempt to distract
> attention from her orange face, she wore a black oriental-style shirt
> with a "foot o' cleavage" collar. Gah!
>
> SLop's claims that pineapple juice + brown sugar == honey is beyond

Are you sure that's not what she marinates in to get that honey golden
tan?

> ridiculous, and I'm not even going to go into her SLoppy math there, but
> the most glaring was her claim that 29 cents is 75% of 60 cents. OK,
> then there's her claim that Chinese take-out costs 30 to 40 dollars for
> a family of four; the cost of her meal, assuming it's honest, is only a
> little less than what I pay, plus, it would taste better.
>
> Apparently FN got a new intern to do the post production work. I noticed
> spots where the sound level (or background hum) changed audibly, but the
> post-production voice-overs seemed less obvious than usual.
>
> I am sure I asked this before, but I thought you weren't sppsd to use
> the marinade after soaking your meat in it.
>
> Uh-oh! Cocktail time is making a comeback! I loved how she dutifully
> told us how much more it cost with the booze, and yes, she practically
> overturned the bottle over that pitcher. Aren't you glad Aunt Sandie
> figured out that the drinks at a bar are more expensive than making them
> yourself?
>
> Those fortune cookies were bogus, but to be honest, I expected her to
> try and use those Wanton wrappers to make them.

haha Your recaps are priceless. :]

> --
> That's the great thing about Semi-Homemade Cooking: No matter how bad
> we think it's going to be, Sandy manages to make it even worse.
> * * * * -- orchidgal

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

"Ubiquitous" > wrote in message
snip
OK,
> then there's her claim that Chinese take-out costs 30 to 40 dollars for
> a family of four;

snip
That's what it would cost for a family of 4 around here. Actually, I
haven't checked for several years, but back then meal for 2 was over $20
without the tip.

> I am sure I asked this before, but I thought you weren't sppsd to use
> the marinade after soaking your meat in it.

You can use the marinade, you are just directed to heat the marinade in a
pot and bring to a boil for several minutes.

snip-- orchidgal

Janet

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On Nov 9, 4:47*pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Ubiquitous" > wrote in message

> snip
> *OK,> then there's her claim that Chinese take-out costs 30 to 40 dollars for
> > a family of four;

> snip
> That's what it would cost for a family of 4 around here. *Actually, I
> haven't checked for several years, but back then meal for 2 was over $20
> without the tip.

Tips on takeout? Also $10 each is a lot for Chinese takee-outee.

> Janet

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--Bryan wrote:
> On Nov 9, 4:47 pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>> "Ubiquitous" > wrote in message

>> snip
>> OK,> then there's her claim that Chinese take-out costs 30 to 40 dollars for
>>> a family of four;

>> snip
>> That's what it would cost for a family of 4 around here. Actually, I
>> haven't checked for several years, but back then meal for 2 was over $20
>> without the tip.
>>

> Tips on takeout? Also $10 each is a lot for Chinese takee-outee.
>> Janet

> --Bryan

Not around here! (Denver area) Maybe in the "olden days" or for
lunch, but dinner takeout items are $9-14 for most items, even
things like eggplant or tofu-based dishes.

gloria p

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

--Bryan wrote:
> On Nov 9, 4:47 pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>> "Ubiquitous" > wrote in message

>> snip
>> OK,> then there's her claim that Chinese take-out costs 30 to 40
>> dollars for
>>> a family of four;

>> snip
>> That's what it would cost for a family of 4 around here. Actually, I
>> haven't checked for several years, but back then meal for 2 was over
>> $20 without the tip.
>>

> Tips on takeout? Also $10 each is a lot for Chinese takee-outee.

I could spend that much easily but I'd wind up with enough food
for 4 hungry people. $10 would buy a quart of anything on my local
place's menu. Two different selections and we've got leftovers
galore. Depends where you live, of course, but I could feed a crowd
with 40 bucks.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 20:19:50 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>--Bryan wrote:
>> On Nov 9, 4:47 pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>>> "Ubiquitous" > wrote in message

>>> snip
>>> OK,> then there's her claim that Chinese take-out costs 30 to 40
>>> dollars for
>>>
>>> snip
>>> That's what it would cost for a family of 4 around here. Actually, I
>>> haven't checked for several years, but back then meal for 2 was over
>>> $20 without the tip.
>>>

>> Tips on takeout? Also $10 each is a lot for Chinese takee-outee.

>I could spend that much easily but I'd wind up with enough food
>for 4 hungry people. $10 would buy a quart of anything on my local
>place's menu. Two different selections and we've got leftovers
>galore. Depends where you live, of course, but I could feed a crowd
>with 40 bucks.
>
>nancy

Depends what you order... anything with shrimp/lobster/duck adds up
fast... beef dishes are pricey too, so are ribs. But if one sticks to
poke fly lice, schicken lo mein, and egg foo young $10 per will handle
it, barely. I don't think you can a feed a crowd on $40, not these
days... $40 covers two hungry adults. Back in the mid '50s a combo
lunch of wanton soup, schicken chow mein, egg roll, poke fly lice, ice
cream for dessert with fortune cookie, with bottomless teapot cost
35˘, yoose read it right, thirty five cents. But in those days a
double feature matinee, with newsreels, with 25 cartoons, and a few
Flash Gordon and Three Tons of Fun episodes cost 11˘ (eleven cents),
if yer ticket had the star the movies was free. I still remember the
Silents, with a piano player on stage... kids were too young to read
the sub titles so one of the matrons did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 20:19:50 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:>

>> I could spend that much easily but I'd wind up with enough food
>> for 4 hungry people. $10 would buy a quart of anything on my local
>> place's menu. Two different selections and we've got leftovers
>> galore. Depends where you live, of course, but I could feed a crowd
>> with 40 bucks.

> Depends what you order... anything with shrimp/lobster/duck adds up
> fast... beef dishes are pricey too, so are ribs. But if one sticks to
> poke fly lice, schicken lo mein, and egg foo young $10 per will handle
> it, barely.

No, I don't eat that stuff. The seafood dishes are the ones that
go for almost $10 a quart. The chicken and are about $8.50.

> I don't think you can a feed a crowd on $40, not these
> days... $40 covers two hungry adults.

Maybe it's different where you are. Yes, if I order appetizers
like ribs, the price will go to $25. But the $20 for 2 quarts?
We can't finish that much food, the two of us. Not on a good
day.

Liked your story about the movies.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 16:12:46 -0600, (Ubiquitous)
wrote:

>Once again, SLop looks like she fell asleep in a tanning machine while
>wearing a long ranger mask. Possibly in a vain attempt to distract
>attention from her orange face, she wore a black oriental-style shirt
>with a "foot o' cleavage" collar. Gah!
>
>SLop's claims that pineaple juice + brown sugar == honey is beyond
>ridiculous, and I'm not even going to go into her SLoppy math there, but
>the most glaring was her claim that 29 cents is 75% of 60 cents. OK,
>then there's her claim that Chinese take-out costs 30 to 40 dollars for
>a family of four; the cost of her meal, assuming it's honest, is only a
>little less than what I pay, plus, it would taste better.
>
>Apparently FN got a new intern to do the post production work. I noticed
>spots where the sound level (or background hum) changed audibly, but the
>post-production voice-overs seemed less obvious than usual.
>
>I am sure I asked this before, but I thought you weren't sppsd to use
>the marinade after soaking your meat in it.
>
>Uh-oh! Cocktail time is making a comeback! I loved how she dutifully
>told us how much more it cost with the booze, and yes, she practically
>overturned the bottle over that pitcher. Aren't you glad Aunt Sandie
>figured out that the drinks at a bar are more expensive than making them
>yourself?
>
>Those fortune cookies were bogus, but to be honest, I expected her to
>try and use those Wanton wrappers to make them.

So, are you being forced to watch this program, or is it a sort of
voluntary self-punishment in order to atone for some sin you committed
in your own kitchen?

Ross.
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

"Ubiquitous" > wrote in message
>>On Nov 9, 5:12 pm, (Ubiquitous) wrote:

>>> Once again, SLop looks like she fell asleep in a tanning machine while
>>> wearing a long ranger mask. Possibly in a vain attempt to distract
>>> attention from her orange face, she wore a black oriental-style shirt
>>> with a "foot o' cleavage" collar. Gah!
>>>
>>> SLop's claims that pineapple juice + brown sugar == honey is beyond

>>Are you sure that's not what she marinates in to get that honey golden
>>tan?

> BWAH!
>
>>haha Your recaps are priceless. :]

> Thanks! As of late, her shows just aren't interesting enough to bother,
> but I had to do something to celebrate the return of "It's cocktail
> time!".
>

> --
> That's the great thing about Semi-Homemade Cooking: No matter how bad
> we think it's going to be, Sandy manages to make it even worse.
> -- orchidgal

She's not interesting enough to slag off anymore because she's taken her
show on the road....she's been on all the religious programs .....telling
Pat Robertson how "Jesus led me to do this'....etc. trying to get the
faithful who toss dollars hand over fist to this charlatan to chuck some her
way.....Yeah, right....Jesus filled that cocktail glass for you and told you
to wear a top cut down to your belly button.....that really tells people how
to cook....it may heat up a few horn-dogs, but she's trying to hawk store
bought corn-dogs. I love it, too, though, when she's on one of these shows
she's dressed like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz......a pinafore over a
dress with her hair in tails.....too priceless. She thinks these people are
lining up for her books as she looks so 'wholesome and pure' for Rev. Pat.

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

> I am sure I asked this before, but I thought you weren't sppsd to use
> the marinade after soaking your meat in it.

It depends - if the food has been refrigerated while marinating, and
the marinating liquid is heated properly, it can be used.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 16:12:46 -0600, (Ubiquitous)
> wrote:
>
>>Once again, SLop looks like she fell asleep in a tanning machine while
>>wearing a long ranger mask. Possibly in a vain attempt to distract
>>attention from her orange face, she wore a black oriental-style shirt
>>with a "foot o' cleavage" collar. Gah!
>>
>>SLop's claims that pineaple juice + brown sugar == honey is beyond
>>ridiculous, and I'm not even going to go into her SLoppy math there, but
>>the most glaring was her claim that 29 cents is 75% of 60 cents. OK,
>>then there's her claim that Chinese take-out costs 30 to 40 dollars for
>>a family of four; the cost of her meal, assuming it's honest, is only a
>>little less than what I pay, plus, it would taste better.
>>
>>Apparently FN got a new intern to do the post production work. I noticed
>>spots where the sound level (or background hum) changed audibly, but the
>>post-production voice-overs seemed less obvious than usual.
>>
>>I am sure I asked this before, but I thought you weren't sppsd to use
>>the marinade after soaking your meat in it.
>>
>>Uh-oh! Cocktail time is making a comeback! I loved how she dutifully
>>told us how much more it cost with the booze, and yes, she practically
>>overturned the bottle over that pitcher. Aren't you glad Aunt Sandie
>>figured out that the drinks at a bar are more expensive than making them
>>yourself?
>>
>>Those fortune cookies were bogus, but to be honest, I expected her to
>>try and use those Wanton wrappers to make them.

> So, are you being forced to watch this program, or is it a sort of
> voluntary self-punishment in order to atone for some sin you committed
> in your own kitchen?
>
> Ross.

I think Ubi watches SLop for the same reason my hubby watches really, really
bad sci-fi movies.....for the sheer entertainment factor of 'what are they
going to completely screw up next'.....you know the type, when the monster
is the giant magnified dryer lint ball.
-ginny

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 10, 2:43 am, Ubiquitous > wrote:
[snip]
> --
> That's the great thing about Semi-Homemade Cooking: No matter how bad
> we think it's going to be, Sandy manages to make it even worse.
> -- orchidgal

This thread made me curious enough to look at the FN website to see
what she made for the show. I clicked on the fortune cookie recipe
and saw that she baked them. It works much better to drop the batter
onto a griddle (or large frypan), in case anybody ever wants to make
them for a party. I didn't bother to look at any of the other
recipes. No doubt they are just as unreliable. -aem
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2:43 am, Ubiquitous > wrote:
> [snip]
>> --
>> That's the great thing about Semi-Homemade Cooking: No matter how bad
>> we think it's going to be, Sandy manages to make it even worse.
>> -- orchidgal

> This thread made me curious enough to look at the FN website to see
> what she made for the show. I clicked on the fortune cookie recipe
> and saw that she baked them. It works much better to drop the batter
> onto a griddle (or large frypan), in case anybody ever wants to make
> them for a party. I didn't bother to look at any of the other
> recipes. No doubt they are just as unreliable. -aem

I've glanced at a couple of her recipes too and thought "good thing I
know how to cook". I've never looked at any of her cookbooks but can
only imagine they are full of the same misinformation.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 16:12:46 -0600, (Ubiquitous)
> > wrote:

> >>SLop's claims that pineaple juice + brown sugar == honey is beyond
> >>ridiculous

She also seems to think that honey isn't really sugar. She is always
talking about reducing sugar with her mouth, and adding honey to stuff
(like bottled BBQ sauce and catsup) that is already very sweet, with her
hand.

> >>Apparently FN got a new intern to do the post production work. I noticed
> >>spots where the sound level (or background hum) changed audibly, but the
> >>post-production voice-overs seemed less obvious than usual.

I didn't realize that they did post-production work on this show. I
thought they just rolled the cameras and accepted whatever. I'd hate to
see the show before the post-production. When I watch it on my tv, I am
continually amazed at what they let appear.

> > So, are you being forced to watch this program, or is it a sort of
> > voluntary self-punishment in order to atone for some sin you committed
> > in your own kitchen?

It's a comedy show. I get tired of it, but others keep enjoying it.
Maybe some people even take it seriously.

> I think Ubi watches SLop for the same reason my hubby watches really, really
> bad sci-fi movies.....for the sheer entertainment factor of 'what are they
> going to completely screw up next'.....you know the type, when the monster
> is the giant magnified dryer lint ball.

It's slapstick, like where the clown wears enormous shoes and trips and
falls every couple of minutes.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Ubi- I'm late the party, I know, but this is a Food Network show you
are talking about, right?

berk
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Ahh... another episode of "Silly Bitch in the Kitchen" (really, I've
gotta stop watching this show, 'cause I hate her more and more, each new
episode I see...)

crispy fried noodles: “and look, I've just used a paper bag to catch all
the extra oil" ...but don't worry; since I'm piling the new noodles on
top, all that yummy oil will get soaked into the older ones. Can't you
just SEE the flavor?!”

ribs: “let's talk about ginger, 'cause a lot of people think this is
really expensive. And you know what? if you chop your own, it's not.
This is only 25 cents an ounce, compare that to something pre-chopped
you buy in the grocery store, a jarred one, 59 cents an ounce. So you're
saving like 34 cents an ounce here – that's 74 percent – that's
amazing!” <picks up a JAR of PRE-CHOPPED garlic> UGH!

pineapple juice + brown sugar = honey. It's been snarked here already,
but WTF? They know that it doesn't save a dime, so she says “for what
I've used here, I paid 80 cents” – yeah, but I had to buy a freaking $3
bottle of pineapple juice, and a pound of brown sugar! How 'bout I buy a
little honey bear, and let it sit in the pantry, snads? It'll have a
hellaciously longer shelf life than the juice, and will still be usable
when the brown sugar has turned into a concrete brick!

The marinade: “close it up, so they're all basking and bathing in that
sauce” ...umm, yeah – along with all the air that you failed to burp out
of the bag! Get all that damn air outta there, and you'll have much
better coverage of marinade on the surface of the meat!!!

Again, the WTFsies: no foil to line the cookie pan? Yeah... remind me to
eat chocolate chip cookies that YOU bake... bleh!

OK: my commentary, as a guy who makes BBQ ribs, and takes a great deal
of pride in them. Again: WTF?!?!?!?! 300 degrees, then 400? Are you
consciously trying to make chewing gum? Spare ribs (and baby backs) need
“long and slow” to release the collagen. Anyway, why the hell are you
using spare ribs and calling them Asian? Every take-out I've seen serves
short ribs, not spare ribs!

Crispy orange beef: Can I please have some of that magic chuck – you
know, the kind that turns from long, slow braising meat (due to all of
its connective tissue) into a quick stir fry, just from judicious
“against the grain” cuts? UGH! Don't bother trimming off all that fat,
either, ok – I luvvvvvvs me some skanky fat in my stir-fry! And don't
even get me started with that pile of corn starch burning on the bottom
of the frying pan! And snads, if you're gonna use the broccoli stems, at
least peel the hard exterior off the broccoli before you stir-fry it,
ok?

Fortune cookies: did I hear her right? She wants you to print out
fortunes on your printer? Well, hell, Aunt Sandy, that printer cost me
$200 … I'm sooooo glad I made my own, instead of buying them at the
local Asian grocery for about $3! Anyway, I wanna see the looks on the
faces of your guests when the condensation from your
just-out-of-the-oven cookies makes your ink-jet ink run through the
paper and onto the cookies! MMM! You can just SEE the flavor!

Sloppy seconds: She made “soup” from two boullion cubes? Bleh! The salt
content should be enough to gag a horse! (Open up a can of low-sodium
chicken broth, please, and save us all the high blood pressure!) And
another thing: Aunt Sandy has ugly hands!!!! Yick! Oh, well, at least it
kept my mind off that hideous horizontal fake-bake line we were treated
to seeing all ep from that low cut top...

I was laughing when she said we could "hear the savings" while she was
clinking away, stirring that four oz of rum (excuse me, but it was
easily a nine-count, honey) into her cocktail...!

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On Nov 9, 7:19*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> --Bryan wrote:
> > On Nov 9, 4:47 pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> >> "Ubiquitous" > wrote in message

> om...
> >> snip
> >> OK,> then there's her claim that Chinese take-out costs 30 to 40
> >> dollars for

> >> snip
> >> That's what it would cost for a family of 4 around here. Actually, I
> >> haven't checked for several years, but back then meal for 2 was over
> >> $20 without the tip.

> > Tips on takeout? *Also $10 each is a lot for Chinese takee-outee.

> I could spend that much easily but I'd wind up with enough food
> for 4 hungry people. *$10 would buy a quart of anything on my local
> place's menu. *Two different selections and we've got leftovers
> galore. *Depends where you live, of course, but I could feed a crowd
> with 40 bucks.

It's $6.30 for a whole order of duck fried rice (quart) and one extra
duck leg at my favorite one:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/28/32045...g-Wah-St-Louis

> nancy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
wrote:
>"Ubiquitous" > wrote:

>> Thanks! As of late, her shows just aren't interesting enough to bother,
>> but I had to do something to celebrate the return of "It's cocktail
>> time!".

>She's not interesting enough to slag off anymore because she's taken her
>show on the road....she's been on all the religious programs .....telling
>Pat Robertson how "Jesus led me to do this'....etc. trying to get the
>faithful who toss dollars hand over fist to this charlatan to chuck some her
>way.....Yeah, right....Jesus filled that cocktail glass for you and told you
>to wear a top cut down to your belly button.....that really tells people how
>to cook....it may heat up a few horn-dogs, but she's trying to hawk store
>bought corn-dogs. I love it, too, though, when she's on one of these shows
>she's dressed like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz......a pinafore over a
>dress with her hair in tails.....too priceless. She thinks these people are
>lining up for her books as she looks so 'wholesome and pure' for Rev. Pat.

I saw some clips of her appearances on those shows on YouTube and noticed
she once again has changed her "storyline". Sheesh!

--
That's the great thing about Semi-Homemade Cooking: No matter how bad
we think it's going to be, Sandy manages to make it even worse.
-- orchidgal

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ubiquitous > wrote:

> In article >,
> wrote:
> >"Ubiquitous" > wrote:

> >> Thanks! As of late, her shows just aren't interesting enough to bother,
> >> but I had to do something to celebrate the return of "It's cocktail
> >> time!".

> >She's not interesting enough to slag off anymore because she's taken her
> >show on the road....she's been on all the religious programs .....telling
> >Pat Robertson how "Jesus led me to do this'....etc. trying to get the
> >faithful who toss dollars hand over fist to this charlatan to chuck some her
> >way.....Yeah, right....Jesus filled that cocktail glass for you and told you
> >to wear a top cut down to your belly button.....that really tells people how
> >to cook....it may heat up a few horn-dogs, but she's trying to hawk store
> >bought corn-dogs. I love it, too, though, when she's on one of these shows
> >she's dressed like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz......a pinafore over a
> >dress with her hair in tails.....too priceless. She thinks these people are
> >lining up for her books as she looks so 'wholesome and pure' for Rev. Pat.

> I saw some clips of her appearances on those shows on YouTube and noticed
> she once again has changed her "storyline". Sheesh!

No version of it has ever included the zillionaire husband that bought
her the show in the first place has it?

--
Stargate Universe SGU: It puts the "U" in "SUCKS"!
It's the show 'Defiling Gravity' would be if DG had more regulars,

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

In article

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/28/32045...l-West-End/Cho
> ng-Wah-St-Louis
>

> > nancy

> --Bryan

Around here, none of the few surviving Asian places offer small and
large containers; it's all large. And they run $7 to $10 an item. So
if you actually got 4 items for 4 people, yeah, it costs that much easy.
The only way to keep it down is to share one item. Even if we share
entrees, we get at least one appetizer, maybe a soup; throw in tax and
tip and $40 for 4 people is a bargain.