Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sourdough Pancakes

I started a sourdough starter a week or so ago.
Today I made some pancakes using some of it.

Here's my baby.
http://i34.tinypic.com/2hs3h2c.jpg

Assembled the ingredients.
http://i33.tinypic.com/67l4c0.jpg

Mixed up a beautiful bubbly batter.
http://i36.tinypic.com/rmlcug.jpg

Cooked until edges got bubbles and started to dry.
http://i34.tinypic.com/4hcq45.jpg

Flipped, well I turned it over. I'm still working on my flipping
skills.
http://i34.tinypic.com/2aj173t.jpg

Golden pillows of sourdough loveliness.
http://i33.tinypic.com/15zglr7.jpg

Inside of pancakes.
http://i38.tinypic.com/f3tg0z.jpg

Here's the recipe.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Sourdough Pancakes

1 cup room temperature sourdough starter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup warm water
1 large egg
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Put sourdough starter into a medium sized mixing bowl.
Add the remaining ingredients to the starter and stir well
Pour 1/3 cup batter onto a hot buttered griddle; cook pancakes until
dry around edges.
Flip and cook the other side until lightly golden brown.

And that's that.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko > wrote in news:0emef5hgk83r3jb73836juillt4bn4kkvd@
4ax.com:

> And that's that.
>
> koko

koko,

Gimme 1/2 dozen of those and 10 minutes or less!!! I ain't bashful!

Thanks,

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Different starter technique.

I ways made a sponge with the whole starter, then returned part of that back
to the starter jar and used the rest. That way you keep the starter healthy
and growing. And it gets better every time you use it, more refined and
flavorful.

They sure do look awesome.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 18:11:11 -0600, Andy > wrote:

>koko > wrote in news:0emef5hgk83r3jb73836juillt4bn4kkvd@
>4ax.com:
>
>> And that's that.
>>
>> koko

>koko,
>
>Gimme 1/2 dozen of those and 10 minutes or less!!! I ain't bashful!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Best,
>
>Andy

Thanks Andy. We were eating them as fast as I was making them with
just a little butter.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/08
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 18:21:49 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>Different starter technique.
>
>I ways made a sponge with the whole starter, then returned part of that back
>to the starter jar and used the rest. That way you keep the starter healthy
>and growing. And it gets better every time you use it, more refined and
>flavorful.
>
>They sure do look awesome.
>
>Paul

Thanks Paul.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/08

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 15:56:28 -0800, koko > wrote:

>I started a sourdough starter a week or so ago.
>Today I made some pancakes using some of it.

[deletia]

>** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **
>
>And that's that.
>
>koko

HOW did you know I was just considering remembering GGmother's
sourdough bread and pancakes (and berry muffins)... wondering if I
wanted to try and make my wife ok with a bottle of starter in the
refrigerator for the rest of eternity or not LOL. I actually woke to
that thought and read this recipe shortly after while still
considering what to do.

I cheated and used a commercial starter moments ago very tasty.

Batch #2 since I woke the wife making the first batch had warmed
buttermilk instead of water (ok, so I am spoiling her and cooking to
her cravings since I woke her LOL). If I understand sleepywife (and
after 20+ years I should hope I do) commercial starter and buttermilk
are also quite awesome at 2AM.

I did however get the OK to keep a bottle of starter in the
refrigerator (she usually goes through the cold box once a week and
tosses anything left there for more than a couple of days, the ice box
is once a month but still unless you make special arrangements you
will miss what you are looking for because it was tossed out.

Now I need to figure out which one or more starters I want to grow and
raise!

Actual email is 'wblalok .at. xmission .dot. com' to reply
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 9, 1:24 am, Will@Blaylock wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 15:56:28 -0800, koko > wrote:
>
> >I started a sourdough starter a week or so ago.
> >Today I made some pancakes using some of it.

> [deletia]
>

> >** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **

> >And that's that.

> >koko

> HOW did you know I was just considering remembering GGmother's
> sourdough bread and pancakes (and berry muffins)... wondering if I
> wanted to try and make my wife ok with a bottle of starter in the
> refrigerator for the rest of eternity or not LOL. I actually woke to
> that thought and read this recipe shortly after while still
> considering what to do.
>
> I cheated and used a commercial starter moments ago very tasty.
> [snips]

There's a rec.food.sourdough group, I believe. Not very active, but
there are a bunch of FAQs. Sourdough is a truly wonderful thing but I
think it's quite demanding as to what you need to know and to do.
Growing up in Alaska I had a friend whose mother baked sourdough
breads and made us sourdough pancakes pretty often. I still remember
salivating on the way over to his house in the morning. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 9, 8:26 am, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
wrote:

> Where did you grow up? A dear friend of mine grew up on Adak. She
> said she didn't know that there were non-sourdough baked goods until
> they moved. Her mother fed a family of 12 and sourdough was cheap and
> simple.

A long way from Adak, down in Southeast AK, but the use of sourdough
was prevalent everywhere in Alaska in those days. With only a few
large population centers most places were so rural and isolated that
you either made your own bread or went without. Where I lived there
was a bakery and my mom didn't know how to use sourdough but many of
our friends and neighbors did. I've tried a couple of times but for
us it just doesn't reward the effort because there's no shortage of
breadstuffs in the big city. When I was using the ABM I used the
Krusteaz ready-mixed sourdough bread mix and it was a decent
substitute for the real thing. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> I started a sourdough starter a week or so ago.
> Today I made some pancakes using some of it.
>
> Here's my baby.
> http://i34.tinypic.com/2hs3h2c.jpg

Saw this over on a.b.f.

Gorgeous! ;-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 15:56:28 -0800, koko > wrote:

>I started a sourdough starter a week or so ago.
>Today I made some pancakes using some of it.

I've never done sourdough anything but they sure looked good. Good
enough to inspire me to eat breakfast for a change. I saw your
pictures last night and told Louise I wanted pancakes...... "don't
make them or I'll want some and it's late." So I made them for
breakfast. I've never been happy with scratch recipes but I used a
recipe from Southern Living that was perfect. I didn't have
buttermilk so I used regular and it was still great. I fried up a
bunch of deli ham and had that between the cakes topped with a nice
sunny side up egg.

Yum! Thanks for the inspiration.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:13:52 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 15:56:28 -0800, koko > wrote:
>

>>I started a sourdough starter a week or so ago.
>>Today I made some pancakes using some of it.

>I've never done sourdough anything but they sure looked good. Good
>enough to inspire me to eat breakfast for a change. I saw your
>pictures last night and told Louise I wanted pancakes...... "don't
>make them or I'll want some and it's late." So I made them for
>breakfast. I've never been happy with scratch recipes but I used a
>recipe from Southern Living that was perfect. I didn't have
>buttermilk so I used regular and it was still great. I fried up a
>bunch of deli ham and had that between the cakes topped with a nice
>sunny side up egg.
>
>Yum! Thanks for the inspiration.
>
>Lou

Sounds like you had a great breakfast.
I can't think of anything better to top pancakes with than a nice
sunny side egg. Oooo I can picture the yolk running down the side of
the pancakes now.
Dang it Lou. I have to wait until the weekend to do it again.

koko

Sourdough Pancakes jedc53 Sourdough 3 10-06-2010 12:13 AM
On Sourdough, Buttermilk, and Pancakes Hans Fugal Sourdough 16 11-07-2006 05:41 PM
sourdough buttermilk pancakes?? nancy Sourdough 5 29-01-2006 05:08 AM
Sourdough Pancakes and Waffles Recipe Tim Recipes 0 22-12-2005 12:14 PM
sourdough pancakes Dabikertrash Sourdough 5 16-06-2004 08:14 PM