Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best bit of action you've seen in a resto

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:47:12 +0000, frater mus
> > wrote:

> >Example: if I give someone $3 for a sandwich and they buy a 40 with it
> >in front of me instead of food, I am unlikely to provide them with
> >additional funding due to their hunger.

> I worked with a guy who borrowed five bucks for lunch. The next day
> he was telling stories about the fun he had the night before at his
> local pub but he didn't have money to pay me back. I don't think I
> ever got it back and I learned it was a common thing for him to do. A
> few years later he spent a weekend at some Beatles revival fest. He
> came to work in a tee-shirt he claimed cost him 50 bucks and was
> yappin about all the other memorabilia he'd purchased. Of course at
> lunchtime he was asking everyone for lunch money. Every told him no
> as we all new his act buy then. Most of us packed our own lunches so
> he started asking if anyone had an extra sandwich. I told him to eat
> his tee-shirt.

There's a phrase, "carpe diem", "seize the day", and that's kind of
neat. You need to enjoy today. Still, what about tomorrow? Most
people learn that as kids. Don't save any money for tomorrow, and you
go hungry.

> >An anecdote related to hunger and charity:
> >I worked at a decent bakery attached to a restaurant and there were
> >certain kinds of breads and pastries we couldn't keep and or
> >cost-effectively recycle into other foodstuffs

[snip]

> >After a while got tired of schlepping it on my own time and own dime and
> >getting harrassed for it. I don't need thanks but please spare me the
> >heckling. After a while I thought: tell ya what, fellas. Fsck you,
> >get your own fscking food.
> >
> >Hell, I was a poor grad student eating the same stuff at night and knew
> >I was lucky to get it. My girlfriend and I basically lived off our
> >bread allotment and leftovers from that place.

> Thanks for sharing the anecdote. Some people make me sick. At least
> you tried to help.

I gave up on pan handlers when I was a starving college student. After
I found out that they had more money and possessions than I did, I lost
all my incentive to give them money. That's stuck with me. My parents
were the same way. Sometimes people would come to the door asking for
money to buy food. No. Do they want a sandwich? If so, my dad would
make a sandwich and wrap it up for them. I learned early on that people
who wanted money usually wanted it for booze and smokes, not the food
that they claimed.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

[snip]

> >Reminds me of the prison inmates who got "priority" for the swine flu virus
> >while some health care professionals had to wait for their doses...

> That whole thing makes me sick.

Doesn't bother me. We are already paying big bucks for 24X7 "child
care" for prisoners. They are all crammed together and ideal candidates
for spreading infectious diseases, not only to each other but to the
guards and other staff in the prison. The last thing I want to see is
my tax dollars going to pay to care for the prisoners when they are
sick, and overtime for the guards because half of them are off sick.
Priority for the vaccine should go for medical and public health
reasons, not who's "naughty" or "nice".

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:25:49 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:

> >Remember "Mothra" Hughes who used to post here, she went through a number of
> >eating disorders, e.g she was bulimic for years, then she blew up and was
> >posting to alt.support.diet, etc. Food and later exercise were always a
> >"drama" for her, but then she was immature and unstable so it was no big
> >surprise, lol...

> Yes, she was a piece of work but some people here liked her. We all
> have different opinions of posters.

I always liked Martha and was sorry when she left. Other posters I can
do without. I don't think Martha discussed all this stuff on this
group. Evidently Greg did a lot of research. If he wasn't interested
in someone (who incidentally hasn't posted here in years), why did he
cyber-stalk her and why does he keep bringing her up?

> Sometimes it shocks me when folks
> talk to andy like he was even close to a normal person.

Sometimes he acts like a normal person. It seems a little reasonable to
respond to him when he is posting normally. I don't understand why
people respond to him when he is acting crazy, and if they don't like
what they are responding to. Life is too short for that.

> >Eating disorders are a big turn-off, makes my "nut alarm" go
> >ding-ding-ding...chronic eating disorders are a sign of a very deep
> >psychological malaise.

When I get "turned off", then I don't read about it, whatever it is.
Doesn't sound like it works that way for you, though?

> I met another chick about 20 years ago on a blind date. We didn't hit
> it off as a relationship but became good friends. When she was a kid
> her older brothers and their friends would drag her in the bathroom,
> hold her down, and take turns at her. It didn't stop until she was
> old enough to stop them and/or avoid the situation. She's mid 50's
> now and a total nutjob as far as relationships go.

Hopefully she's tried therapy. That's pretty sad, but I guess I'm not
too surprised. That's why child molestation is such a bad thing, not
that a kid is forced to do something they don't want to, but that
sometimes their whole life is screwed up forever.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> I gave up on pan handlers when I was a starving college student. After
> I found out that they had more money and possessions than I did, I lost
> all my incentive to give them money. That's stuck with me. My parents
> were the same way. Sometimes people would come to the door asking for
> money to buy food. No. Do they want a sandwich? If so, my dad would
> make a sandwich and wrap it up for them. I learned early on that people
> who wanted money usually wanted it for booze and smokes, not the food
> that they claimed.

Once upon a time in Vegas... I was waiting for a light to cross the
street and a guy came up and asked for some change saying he hadn't
eaten in three days. I offered to go into a nearby snack bar and buy
him whatever food he wanted but I wasn't going to give him any money.
He told me "Go **** yourself, asshole."

I guess he didn't like the food at that snack bar.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 00:55:14 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:

>> I met another chick about 20 years ago on a blind date. We didn't hit
>> it off as a relationship but became good friends. When she was a kid
>> her older brothers and their friends would drag her in the bathroom,
>> hold her down, and take turns at her. It didn't stop until she was
>> old enough to stop them and/or avoid the situation. She's mid 50's
>> now and a total nutjob as far as relationships go.

>Hopefully she's tried therapy. That's pretty sad, but I guess I'm not
>too surprised. That's why child molestation is such a bad thing, not
>that a kid is forced to do something they don't want to, but that
>sometimes their whole life is screwed up forever.

She's been in therapy her whole life. She's still goofy and has
raised 3 girls who are also goofy. Suicide attempts, drug rehabs and
stuff like that. She had to buy a safe to keep them out of her
prescription drugs.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 06:54:41 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>Dan Abel wrote:
>
>> I gave up on pan handlers when I was a starving college student. After
>> I found out that they had more money and possessions than I did, I lost
>> all my incentive to give them money. That's stuck with me. My parents
>> were the same way. Sometimes people would come to the door asking for
>> money to buy food. No. Do they want a sandwich? If so, my dad would
>> make a sandwich and wrap it up for them. I learned early on that people
>> who wanted money usually wanted it for booze and smokes, not the food
>> that they claimed.

>Once upon a time in Vegas... I was waiting for a light to cross the
>street and a guy came up and asked for some change saying he hadn't
>eaten in three days. I offered to go into a nearby snack bar and buy
>him whatever food he wanted but I wasn't going to give him any money.
>He told me "Go **** yourself, asshole."
>
>I guess he didn't like the food at that snack bar.

Unfortunately jerks like that ruin it for the ones who really are
hungry. I had a similar situation and the woman devoured a bunch of
food and wrapped some up and put it in her backpack for later. She
wasn't looking for a fix just needed to eat.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 22:41:01 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> Homeless people make others uncomfortable. Desperation makes people
> do unpredictable things and the filth you describe is a state most try
> to avoid being around. There was an old schizophrenic who wandered
> the streets in my neighborhood for over 60 years. He developed the
> disease in his very early 20's and wandered until he was finally taken
> in by a brother when he was in his mid 80's. He wasn't actually
> homeless as someone took his social security check and gave him a bed
> in a basement and was supposed to feed him. He deserved a better life
> and it was available but he refused it. Although most people were
> afraid of him a few souls understood him enough to see he would never
> be happy in a controlled environment and needed to live life as he
> was. He's been gone for close to a year now but when I see someone
> sleeping on a bench I look to see if it's him.
>
> So I've seen what you've worded "whatever reason incapable of
> accessing" first hand. I could fill pages with stories about him but
> I'll just say the neighborhood isn't the same without him.

it's a dicey thing. should you force someone to take medication because
they're incapable of making a rational decision, or are you forcing someone
to take medication because they make *you* uncomfortable?

<snip>

> To get back to the group topic- eating disorders are the strangest
> syndrome I've encountered. The need to control and warped view of
> what and how to do it are quite bizarre. I had a very short fling
> with a bulimic chick many years ago. We had a disagreement and she
> said I was making her want to eat. I told her to stuff herself if she
> wanted to. So she did and then went and horked it up and came back
> and blamed me. That was the end of that little fling! I've run
> across a few other nutjobs including one who peed on test strips to
> see if she was in ketosis. I don't know much about all that no-carb
> stuff but that was pretty weird especially since she saved the used
> strips.

god help me, that made me laugh.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:44:04 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 06:54:41 -0600, George Leppla
> > wrote:
>
>>Dan Abel wrote:
>>
>>> I gave up on pan handlers when I was a starving college student. After
>>> I found out that they had more money and possessions than I did, I lost
>>> all my incentive to give them money. That's stuck with me. My parents
>>> were the same way. Sometimes people would come to the door asking for
>>> money to buy food. No. Do they want a sandwich? If so, my dad would
>>> make a sandwich and wrap it up for them. I learned early on that people
>>> who wanted money usually wanted it for booze and smokes, not the food
>>> that they claimed.

>>Once upon a time in Vegas... I was waiting for a light to cross the
>>street and a guy came up and asked for some change saying he hadn't
>>eaten in three days. I offered to go into a nearby snack bar and buy
>>him whatever food he wanted but I wasn't going to give him any money.
>>He told me "Go **** yourself, asshole."
>>
>>I guess he didn't like the food at that snack bar.

> Unfortunately jerks like that ruin it for the ones who really are
> hungry. I had a similar situation and the woman devoured a bunch of
> food and wrapped some up and put it in her backpack for later. She
> wasn't looking for a fix just needed to eat.
>
> Lou

i'm sure some of you have had the experience i have had a couple times:

'look, i'm not gonna bullshit you, i want the money for some beer.'

i can see some people doing tolerably well with that approach. (possibly i
looked like i wanted a beer as well.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:27:18 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>>Reminds me of the prison inmates who got "priority" for the swine flu virus
>>>while some health care professionals had to wait for their doses...

>> That whole thing makes me sick.

> Doesn't bother me. We are already paying big bucks for 24X7 "child
> care" for prisoners. They are all crammed together and ideal candidates
> for spreading infectious diseases, not only to each other but to the
> guards and other staff in the prison. The last thing I want to see is
> my tax dollars going to pay to care for the prisoners when they are
> sick, and overtime for the guards because half of them are off sick.
> Priority for the vaccine should go for medical and public health
> reasons, not who's "naughty" or "nice".

exactly right. a flu epidemic in a prison would not be pretty.

beyond that, if you're gonna keep people locked up, you are obligated to
take care of them.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> across a few other nutjobs including one who peed on test strips to
>> see if she was in ketosis.

> I do that when I get sick. It can get pretty serious for a diabetic
> when they go into ketosis.
>
>> I don't know much about all that no-carb

It's supposed to be low-carb not no-carb. If you are nuts and want to
take something past the point of sanity, reducing carbs is one of the
things people do that with. Sane folks want to do stuff that works.
Insane folks want to do stuff to extremes. But there are degrees of
sanity and insanity. Food issues can range all the way from frustated
and not willing to put in the thought to do it right through obsessed.
Just being no-carb instead of low-carb does say all that much on where
she is on that scale.

>> stuff but that was pretty weird

> I'm not so keen on that, since they are doing it on purpose. Still,
> maybe they have to watch and make sure it doesn't go out of control? I
> don't know.

Diabetics *can* have runaway ketosis. They get it at the same time as
high blood sugar and it's a sign of a broken metabolism. Low carbers
*can not* have runaway ketosis. They get it at the same time as well
controlled blood sugar and it's a sign of a successful predator diet.

For low carbers it's just a yes/no test - Has your current carb intake
drifted high enough that you risk getting hungry while losing.

>> especially since she saved the used
>> strips.

> That one totally baffles me.

My take on it is more simple - To me it tells where she was on the scale
between someone frustrated with weight and going something extreme for
lack of patience or intelligence to do it correctly through someone
doing it to express an eating disorder. For her it was an eating
disorder. Sane low carbers time the stick, glance at its color, see if
its biege or not-beige, flush the used stick. That part is similar to
sane diabetics using the sticks except I don't know urgent or worried
they are about the lighter colored results.

> If you want to know your results (and the
> doctor in the ER will want to know) then you write them down. There's a
> color code on the container. You match the color and it tells you the
> reading. The instructions say that the color continues to change after
> you hit the time to read it. I don't know what happens after that, as I
> always flush them with the pee.

Right. Flush after use.