Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default You know dinner's ready when ...

.... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!

The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
went on fire.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 7, 2:23*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> ... the smoke detector goes off. *Well, that's the way it is in
> my house tonight. *I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
> anyway. *It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>
> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
> went on fire. *

Oh, Nancy, I can sure relate. One year my MasterGuns, who is normally
a fine lady friend, foisted off the last two hams on me to roast and
bring back in for the next day's T-Day feed. I was not prepared with
big enough roasting pans, so stopped off at the grocer for aluminums.
Heh! It did not occur to me that the so called pans might leak, and
after my own full night of baking was done, I popped the hams in for a
low temp four hour bake while I slept. Smoke alarm went off just as
did my sleep alarm. The hams were quite okay, though. One seventy-
dollar stove cleaning later, I was not so okay, but the Marines
enjoyed hearing the story!

....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2:23 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
>> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
>> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
>> anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>>
>> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
>> went on fire.

> Oh, Nancy, I can sure relate. One year my MasterGuns, who is normally
> a fine lady friend, foisted off the last two hams on me to roast and
> bring back in for the next day's T-Day feed. I was not prepared with
> big enough roasting pans, so stopped off at the grocer for aluminums.
> Heh! It did not occur to me that the so called pans might leak, and
> after my own full night of baking was done, I popped the hams in for a
> low temp four hour bake while I slept. Smoke alarm went off just as
> did my sleep alarm. The hams were quite okay, though. One seventy-
> dollar stove cleaning later, I was not so okay, but the Marines
> enjoyed hearing the story!

Argh. Those pans seem useful in a pinch. Thanks for nothing.

I'm glad the Marines got a laugh out of it. Too bad they didn't come
over and clean your oven. (laugh)

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up anyway.
> It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>
> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
> went on fire.
> nancy

Ugh.

That's why we bought a gas grill for steaks. When we used the
broiler, no matter how high we set the exhaust fan, the house
would fill with smoke.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
> anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>
> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
> went on fire.
>
> nancy

Oops. ;-)

If I think something is going to boil over, I place a foil covered
cookie sheet under it!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
>> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
>> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
>> anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>>
>> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
>> went on fire.

> Ugh.
>
> That's why we bought a gas grill for steaks. When we used the
> broiler, no matter how high we set the exhaust fan, the house
> would fill with smoke.

I really hate that, too. And I have a crappy circulating fan, on top
of it. Useless.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:_GpJm.103370$KU2.34280
@newsfe26.ams2:

> gloria.p wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
>>> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
>>> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
>>> anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>>>
>>> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
>>> went on fire.

>> Ugh.
>>
>> That's why we bought a gas grill for steaks. When we used the
>> broiler, no matter how high we set the exhaust fan, the house
>> would fill with smoke.

> I really hate that, too. And I have a crappy circulating fan, on top
> of it. Useless.
>
> nancy

I usually always cook steaks outside. I've done it inside a couple of
times, and the same thing. The bottom section of the house is filled with
smoke, and smells like a BBQ for a day or so.

And my rangehood fan couldn't suck the skin off a custard!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up anyway. It
> overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>
> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
> went on fire.
> nancy

I have an overly sensitive smoke detector. It goes off with pretty much any
oven cooking. I jokingly say each time, "Dinner's ready!" I keep meaning
to replace it, but the years go by.

A few days ago about 6am I awake to some loud annoying sound that I think is
the house alarm. While I'm squinting at the alarm panel from bed my
daughter jogs in and says, " Breakfast's ready." First time it's ever gone
off in the morning. I really need to raise that chore to the top of my
list.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

King's Crown wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
>> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
>> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
>> anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>>
>> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
>> went on fire.
>> nancy

> I have an overly sensitive smoke detector. It goes off with pretty
> much any oven cooking. I jokingly say each time, "Dinner's ready!"
> I keep meaning to replace it, but the years go by.

(laugh) That's funny.

> A few days ago about 6am I awake to some loud annoying sound that I
> think is the house alarm. While I'm squinting at the alarm panel
> from bed my daughter jogs in and says, " Breakfast's ready." First
> time it's ever gone off in the morning. I really need to raise that
> chore to the top of my list.

Maybe it needs to be moved? I know they are supposed to be
replaced every few years, maybe you just need a new one, like
you said.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > news:ismJm.29400$tF5.3794
> @newsfe25.ams2: in rec.food.cooking
>
>> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
>> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
>> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
>> anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>>
>> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
>> went on fire.

> LOL... kind of like, "You know dinner is ready when"...
>
> The house smells like it's burning down

(laugh) That was even worse! The stink. Burning mac n cheese.
Luckily the stuff was tasty anyway! It would have been worse
if dinner was ruined.

The apple crumble I had for dessert made me feel better.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
>> went on fire.

> Oops. ;-)
>
> If I think something is going to boil over, I place a foil covered
> cookie sheet under it!

That's the pathetic part. As I was putting it in the oven I was
thinking, you should put something under that. Then the lazy
angel said Nah, it'll be okay.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\"" wrote

> LOL... kind of like, "You know dinner is ready when"...
>
> The house smells like it's burning down
>
> Michael

Michael,

Funny in another sense, a great meal's aroma that fills the house for a
couple days is equally alarming, albeit more welcome!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote

> That's the pathetic part. As I was putting it in the oven I was
> thinking, you should put something under that. Then the lazy
> angel said Nah, it'll be okay.
>
> nancy

nancy,

You obviously don't have a kitchen angel! http://alturl.com/mtsk "Kitchen
Kate"

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote
>
>> That's the pathetic part. As I was putting it in the oven I was
>> thinking, you should put something under that. Then the lazy
>> angel said Nah, it'll be okay.

> You obviously don't have a kitchen angel! http://alturl.com/mtsk
> "Kitchen Kate"

That's exactly what I need. A third party angel to break the tie.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 17:23:40 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
>my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
>darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
>anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>
>The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
>went on fire.

Oh, darn. I hope it's a self cleaning oven!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 14:57:31 -0800 (PST), PickyJaz >
wrote:

>One seventy-dollar stove cleaning later

Holy cow! What did you do, buy gold scouring pads?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 21:04:09 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>I really hate that, too. And I have a crappy circulating fan, on top
>of it. Useless.

I guess that's why there was a fan in the ceiling in front of the
double ovens (wall) when we bought this house. We don't oven broil
meat, so that was never an issue for us.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 02:14:16 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Not to mention the grease vapor that settles on everything and leaves an
>oily film. Ugh!
>
>I don't even fry foods indoors. I either use the side burners on the gas
>grill, or a good electric skillet.

Good move. No matter how careful you are, that stuff can build up
anyway.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 17:23:40 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
>> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
>> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
>> anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>>
>> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
>> went on fire.
>>

> Oh, darn. I hope it's a self cleaning oven!

You know it! Self cleaning is the only way to go for me.
It's cooking away as we speak.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 17:23:40 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
> anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>
> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
> went on fire.
>
> nancy

mac 'n' cheese flambé. very continental.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:%OAJm.60056$cj4.8382
@newsfe14.ams2:

> Andy wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" wrote
>>
>>> That's the pathetic part. As I was putting it in the oven I was
>>> thinking, you should put something under that. Then the lazy
>>> angel said Nah, it'll be okay.

>> You obviously don't have a kitchen angel! http://alturl.com/mtsk
>> "Kitchen Kate"

> That's exactly what I need. A third party angel to break the tie.
>
> nancy

Very Big Grin!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
> >> went on fire.

> > Oops. ;-)
> >
> > If I think something is going to boil over, I place a foil covered
> > cookie sheet under it!

> That's the pathetic part. As I was putting it in the oven I was
> thinking, you should put something under that. Then the lazy
> angel said Nah, it'll be okay.
>
> nancy

<lol> Been there, done that, paid for it every time!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Once in awhile I get away with burnt!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Nancy Young wrote:

> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
> anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>
> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
> went on fire.
>
> nancy

I'm not sure which is worse -- flood damage or fire/smoke damage????
Knock on wood, I've never dealt with the latter. I think fire from any
source would more frightening than any 'flood' due to a broken water
pipe or appliance connected to the water supply. It's always a good
idea to keep a couple or few fire extinguishers in the home; in the
kitchen, the utility/laundry room, garage, and perhaps the master
bedroom, too. Ditto about keeping a fire extinguisher in the
car/vehicle, also.

Sky

P.S. Did everyone recently check their smoke detectors when the clocks
were changed back to Standard Time (if applicable)??

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 17:23:40 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
> > my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
> > darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
> > anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
> >
> > The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
> > went on fire.
> >
> > nancy

> mac 'n' cheese flambé. very continental.
>
> your pal,
> blake

<laughs> You're mean Blake! :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> "Michael \"Dog3\"" wrote
>
> > LOL... kind of like, "You know dinner is ready when"...
> >
> > The house smells like it's burning down
> >
> > Michael

> Michael,
>
> Funny in another sense, a great meal's aroma that fills the house for a
> couple days is equally alarming, albeit more welcome!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

We had to get rid of the toaster oven in our office suite at work. The
heat from the damn thing kept setting off the smoke alarms. Since I
work in a medical center, this is more than a little problematic.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
> anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!
>
> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
> went on fire.
>
> nancy

LOL! Had to explain to a student in our university housing that the
smoke alarm *was not* to be used as a timer for his cooking efforts. He
never made the connection that the alarm only ever went off when he was
fixing his dinner!

Our smoke detector is located well away from the kitchen so it isn't an
issue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:19:34 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>Our smoke detector is located well away from the kitchen so it isn't an
>issue.

My SIL and BIL had one of those open plan 2 story houses where the
family room, kitchen and living room had a two story ceiling open to
the second floor. The smoke alarm was on the second floor right where
the two conjoined (no wall - open plan). Every time she created smoke
in the kitchen, my BIL had to get on a chair to disconnect the smoke
alarm. It was a crappy vent, but this was back in the years before
makers of home kitchen ventilation systems got smart.

It became a family ritual... she laughed about it. He gritted his
teeth.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 16:46:19 -0700, "gloria.p" >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>That's why we bought a gas grill for steaks. When we used the
>broiler, no matter how high we set the exhaust fan, the house
>would fill with smoke.

Ask me about the time I made blackened redfish for the first time...

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 7, 5:03*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> PickyJaz wrote:
> > On Nov 7, 2:23 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >> ... the smoke detector goes off. Well, that's the way it is in
> >> my house tonight. I tried a different recipe for mac n cheese and
> >> darn, I knew there was too much for the pan but I filled it up
> >> anyway. It overflowed and now there's a fine mess!

> >> The best part was when the stuff on the bottom of the oven
> >> went on fire.

> > Oh, Nancy, I can sure relate. *One year my MasterGuns, who is normally
> > a fine lady friend, foisted off the last two hams on me to roast and
> > bring back in for the next day's T-Day feed. *I was not prepared with
> > big enough roasting pans, so stopped off at the grocer for aluminums.
> > Heh! *It did not occur to me that the so called pans might leak, and
> > after my own full night of baking was done, I popped the hams in for a
> > low temp four hour bake while I slept. *Smoke alarm went off just as
> > did my sleep alarm. *The hams were quite okay, though. *One seventy-
> > dollar stove cleaning later, I was not so okay, but the Marines
> > enjoyed hearing the story!

> Argh. *Those pans seem useful in a pinch. *Thanks for nothing. *
>
> I'm glad the Marines got a laugh out of it. *Too bad they didn't come
> over and clean your oven. *(laugh)
>
> nancy- Hide quoted text -

If I'm doing something heavy in those pans, I use two together. Can't
hurt. You can easily check for potential leaks by holding them up to
a bright light.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> On Nov 7, 5:03 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> PickyJaz wrote:

>>> Oh, Nancy, I can sure relate. One year my MasterGuns, who is
>>> normally a fine lady friend, foisted off the last two hams on me to
>>> roast and bring back in for the next day's T-Day feed. I was not
>>> prepared with big enough roasting pans, so stopped off at the
>>> grocer for aluminums. Heh! It did not occur to me that the so
>>> called pans might leak, and after my own full night of baking was
>>> done, I popped the hams in for a low temp four hour bake while I
>>> slept. Smoke alarm went off just as did my sleep alarm. The hams
>>> were quite okay, though. One seventy- dollar stove cleaning later,
>>> I was not so okay, but the Marines enjoyed hearing the story!

>> Argh. Those pans seem useful in a pinch. Thanks for nothing.
>>
>> I'm glad the Marines got a laugh out of it. Too bad they didn't come
>> over and clean your oven. (laugh)
>>
>> nancy- Hide quoted text -

> If I'm doing something heavy in those pans, I use two together. Can't
> hurt. You can easily check for potential leaks by holding them up to
> a bright light.

Fill 'em up with some water to see if they leak, you wanna wash 'em before
using them anyways...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:

>>> Argh. Those pans seem useful in a pinch. Thanks for nothing.
>>>
>>> I'm glad the Marines got a laugh out of it. Too bad they didn't
>>> come
>>> over and clean your oven. (laugh)
>>>
>>> nancy- Hide quoted text -

>> If I'm doing something heavy in those pans, I use two together.
>> Can't hurt. You can easily check for potential leaks by holding
>> them up to a bright light.

> Fill 'em up with some water to see if they leak, you wanna wash 'em
> before using them anyways...

You have to be careful with those disposable pans. It's not just the
leaking but the fact that they soften and collapse on you. Put them
on something stable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I once had a smoke detector that would go off every time I took a
shower. That's why don't bathe now.

On the other hand, my favorite kitchen fires were roasting coffee
beans. Things look good, then you open the door, air rushes in, and
WHOOSH! No eyebrows. And a couple of years later I did it again.
Darn near set the floor on fire that time. I'm an idiot and now I buy
coffee in a can.

Bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:20:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> fired up random neurons and synapses
to opine:

>I bet that made "blackened kitchen" as well! Luckily, somneone told me to
>make this outside before the first time I tried it. :-)

I got the recipe out of a Paul Prudhomme cookbook and the *******
didn't warn me about the smoke explosion - and God forbid I should use
extra brain cells to figure it out when reading the recipe. Let's see
he lotsa butter, redfish plastered with a half dozen or so spices,
smokin' hot cast iron skillet...