Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tips for Freezing Home-cooked Dishes?

I have those little glad containers, foil, freezer bags, waxed paper. Soup I
get. I have never frozen non-soupy, non-saucy things. I am making pork and
noodles with peppers and mushrooms and a light "oriental" sauce, just to
coat the ingredients. ("Oriental" because I am winging it, and don't want to
call it something and have you real cooks say, "but that's not ___ _____."
It will entail peanut oil, soy sauce, garlic, a little ginger, and corn
starch. Maybe other stuff.

Those of you who do this, do you have tips? Do I need tips? TIA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 6, 3:24*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Do I need tips? TIA.

Just one. Add a "D" to the end of that, because that is what you
really have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

poop on toast wrote:

> On Nov 6, 3:24 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>
>> Do I need tips? TIA.

> Just one. Add a "D" to the end of that, because that is what you
> really have.

Be *nice* to the cybertwot, she is actually on-topic for a change...

Lol...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
>I have those little glad containers, foil, freezer bags, waxed paper. Soup
>I get. I have never frozen non-soupy, non-saucy things. I am making pork
>and noodles with peppers and mushrooms and a light "oriental" sauce, just
>to coat the ingredients. ("Oriental" because I am winging it, and don't
>want to call it something and have you real cooks say, "but that's not ___
>_____." It will entail peanut oil, soy sauce, garlic, a little ginger, and
>corn starch. Maybe other stuff.
>
> Those of you who do this, do you have tips? Do I need tips? TIA.

I do this all the time. Living alone I cook enough for too many meals to
eat before it turns, so I have a Foodsaver. My mom wanted to know what I
want for Christmas and I told her the new Foodsaver. The one I have has
been limping along lately because I bought it in 2001.

By the way, the pork and noodles sounds good. Try oyster sauce, too. I had
never used it before I made fried rice last week. And a little sesame oil
for flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> I have those little glad containers, foil, freezer bags, waxed paper. Soup I
> get. I have never frozen non-soupy, non-saucy things. I am making pork and
> noodles with peppers and mushrooms and a light "oriental" sauce, just to
> coat the ingredients. ("Oriental" because I am winging it, and don't want to
> call it something and have you real cooks say, "but that's not ___ _____."
> It will entail peanut oil, soy sauce, garlic, a little ginger, and corn
> starch. Maybe other stuff.
>
> Those of you who do this, do you have tips? Do I need tips? TIA.

Oh honey, I freeze almost everything. Next time you are in the
supermarket, look at the frozen entrees, they freeze non-saucy items
like fried chicken, baked chicken, meatloaf, turkey, fish, meatballs. I
remove as much air as I can and I eat them within a month or two. It
sure helps to have home cooked food when you have been busy working.

For dinner tonight, we had chicken enchiladas, pinto beans and Spanish
rice. I froze the leftover beans and the leftover rice.

Frijoles

2 lb pinto beans, uncooked
3/4 lb bacon slices chopped in 1" squares
1/2 cup finely-chopped fresh garlic
4 tbsp finely-chopped cilantro
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp cumin
2-3 tbsp chili powder
1/2 gallon cold water for cooking beans
1 1/2 tbsp salt
2 cup chopped Roma tomatoes

In a 2-gallon heavy pot, cook the bacon pieces until well done. Add
garlic, cilantro, and onions to hot bacon fat. Cook until onions are
transparent.

When onions are ready, add beans, cumin, and chili powder. Stir and add
water to cover beans. Turn heat to medium-low. Add salt and stir. Cook
beans slowly until fork tender, 3-4 hours. Stir occasionally to avoid
burning.

Add tomatoes then serve.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> I have those little glad containers, foil, freezer bags, waxed paper.
>> Soup I get. I have never frozen non-soupy, non-saucy things. I am making
>> pork and noodles with peppers and mushrooms and a light "oriental" sauce,
>> just to coat the ingredients. ("Oriental" because I am winging it, and
>> don't want to call it something and have you real cooks say, "but that's
>> not ___ _____." It will entail peanut oil, soy sauce, garlic, a little
>> ginger, and corn starch. Maybe other stuff.
>>
>> Those of you who do this, do you have tips? Do I need tips? TIA.

> Oh honey, I freeze almost everything. Next time you are in the
> supermarket, look at the frozen entrees, they freeze non-saucy items like
> fried chicken, baked chicken, meatloaf, turkey, fish, meatballs. I remove
> as much air as I can and I eat them within a month or two. It sure helps
> to have home cooked food when you have been busy working.

Thanks, Becca. Good common sense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote
> I do this all the time. Living alone I cook enough for too many meals to
> eat before it turns, so I have a Foodsaver. My mom wanted to know what I
> want for Christmas and I told her the new Foodsaver. The one I have has
> been limping along lately because I bought it in 2001.

I've seen posts about Foodsavers, I never thought about that.

> By the way, the pork and noodles sounds good. Try oyster sauce, too. I
> had never used it before I made fried rice last week. And a little sesame
> oil for flavor.

Thanks. I am still feeling my way through my Asian dishes. Pseudo. I want
the taste but don't feel like the work that goes into authenticity. I wound
up using bottled Thai peanut sauce after I finished stirfrying frozen
chopped broc, red and orange sweet peppers, mushrooms, and shredded purple
cabbage in a little peanut oil with a sprinkle of hot red pepper flakes and
a healthy bit of ginger. I tossed the pork in, in shreds, at the end when
the vegetables were five minutes from perfect, and at about that time the
noodles were done. Tossed it together. Pretty good, but way too much, as
usual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cyberpurrs" wrote
> Thanks. I am still feeling my way through my Asian dishes. Pseudo. I
> want the taste but don't feel like the work that goes into authenticity. I
> wound up using bottled Thai peanut sauce after I finished stirfrying
> frozen chopped broc, red and orange sweet peppers, mushrooms, and shredded
> purple cabbage in a little peanut oil with a sprinkle of hot red pepper
> flakes and a healthy bit of ginger. I tossed the pork in, in shreds, at
> the end when the vegetables were five minutes from perfect, and at about
> that time the noodles were done. Tossed it together. Pretty good, but way
> too much, as usual.

Hehe I couldnt resist so started a recipe thread for you. Generally
speaking Asian recipes tend to be longish on prep time and short in actual
cooking time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberpurrs wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote
>> I do this all the time. Living alone I cook enough for too many
>> meals to eat before it turns, so I have a Foodsaver. My mom wanted
>> to know what I want for Christmas and I told her the new Foodsaver.
>> The one I have has been limping along lately because I bought it in
>> 2001.

> I've seen posts about Foodsavers, I never thought about that.
>

>> By the way, the pork and noodles sounds good. Try oyster sauce,
>> too. I had never used it before I made fried rice last week. And a
>> little sesame oil for flavor.

> Thanks. I am still feeling my way through my Asian penises. Pseudo.

You're a regular Madame Chiang Kai-Shek...!!!

:-P

--
Best
Faggery Morrow

:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 6, 3:24*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> I have those little glad containers, foil, freezer bags, waxed paper. Soup I
> get. I have never frozen non-soupy, non-saucy things. I am making pork and
> noodles with peppers and mushrooms and a light "oriental" sauce, just to
> coat the ingredients. ("Oriental" because I am winging it, and don't want to
> call it something and have you real cooks say, "but that's not *___ _____."
> It will entail peanut oil, soy sauce, garlic, a little ginger, and corn
> starch. Maybe other stuff.
>
> Those of you who do this, do you have tips? Do I need tips? TIA.

I freeze one-dish meals like this all the time - I put them in a
container and either press the Glad Press 'n Seal freezer wrap down on
top the ingredients (to prevent lots of ice crystals forming) before
putting a lid on; if it can be frozen in a serving block without a
container, just use Press 'n Seal around it all; or I use my Fresh-
Saver, Ziploc vacuum or Handi-vac vacuum where possible. The vacuum
systems are the best, of course. I don't have any tips, except use it
within about 2-3 months, for the best results.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 6, 9:52*pm, "cyberpurrs" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote
>
> > I do this all the time. *Living alone I cook enough for too many meals to
> > eat before it turns, so I have a Foodsaver. *My mom wanted to know what I
> > want for Christmas and I told her the new Foodsaver. *The one I have has
> > been limping along lately because I bought it in 2001.

> I've seen posts about Foodsavers, I never thought about that.
>

> > By the way, the pork and noodles sounds good. *Try oyster sauce, too. *I
> > had never used it before I made fried rice last week. *And a little sesame
> > oil for flavor.

> Thanks. I am still feeling my way through my Asian dishes. Pseudo. I want
> the taste but don't feel like the work that goes into authenticity. I wound
> up using bottled Thai peanut sauce after I finished stirfrying frozen
> chopped broc, red and orange sweet peppers, mushrooms, and shredded purple
> cabbage in a little peanut oil with a sprinkle of hot red pepper flakes and
> a healthy bit of ginger. I tossed the pork in, in shreds, at the end when
> the vegetables were five minutes from perfect, and at about that time the
> noodles were done. Tossed it together. Pretty good, but way too much, as
> usual.

Take a look at the new "Fresh Saver," because it is a lot smaller than
a regular FoodSaver (you can tuck it away when not in use), and does
the same kind of job - plus, it appears that you could use Ziploc
vacuum bags with it (same material in the bags, same kind of vacuum
access patch).

N.