FoodBanter.com

-   -   Skirt steak substitute? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/178653-skirt-steak-substitute.html)

Ravenlynne 06-11-2009 11:05 AM

Skirt steak substitute?

I'm making this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
urrasco-recipe/index.html

It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Omelet[_7_] 06-11-2009 11:32 AM

Skirt steak substitute?

In article >,
"Ravenlynne" > wrote:

> I'm making this recipe:
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
> urrasco-recipe/index.html
>
> It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
> here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
> this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

I don't see why not?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Bob Muncie 06-11-2009 12:49 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

Ravenlynne wrote:
> I'm making this recipe:
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
> urrasco-recipe/index.html
>
> It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
> here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
> this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Considering the prices, and if I'm trying to impress anyone or not, I'd
also consider round steak.

Bob

Ravenlynne 06-11-2009 02:04 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

Bob Muncie wrote:

> Ravenlynne wrote:
> > I'm making this recipe:
> >
> > http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...led-skirt-stea
> > k-ch urrasco-recipe/index.html
> >
> > It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
> > here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking
> > for this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?
> >

> Considering the prices, and if I'm trying to impress anyone or not,
> I'd also consider round steak.
>
> Bob

Good...they do have that, thanks!

Tracy[_2_] 06-11-2009 04:01 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

Bob Muncie wrote:
> Ravenlynne wrote:
>> I'm making this recipe:
>>
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
>> urrasco-recipe/index.html
>>
>> It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
>> here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
>> this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?
>>

> Considering the prices, and if I'm trying to impress anyone or not, I'd
> also consider round steak.
>
> Bob

Me too. I never see skirt steak in my local grocery stores. Flank
steak is usually between 6.99 and 8.99 per pound. It might be around
$5 per pound at Costcos. In any case, I don't buy it often.

It's not exactly the same but if you slice it nice and thin at an
angle and against the grain it still tastes pretty good.

Tracy

sf[_9_] 06-11-2009 06:02 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

On 6 Nov 2009 10:05:43 GMT, "Ravenlynne" > wrote:

>I'm making this recipe:
>
>http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...ipe/index.html
>

>It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
>here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
>this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Yes, flank is fine. You can also use tri-tip. if you ever find skirt
steak, give it a try. You'll love it.

Remember to slice across the grain and slant your knife like this \.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

dsi1[_9_] 06-11-2009 06:08 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

Ravenlynne wrote:
> I'm making this recipe:
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
> urrasco-recipe/index.html
>
> It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
> here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
> this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Flank steak would work great but that's just my opinion. If you don't
know how to prepare flank steak, you should do research first cause it
can be tricky. You have to cook this piece at a high temperature yet you
have to avoid overcooking. Cook it beyond med. rare and you might as
well dump it but that's just my opinion. Slice the meat at a shallow
angle. I like flank prepared teriyaki style although I haven't bought
one in years cause it's expensive. I have no idea why it should be so
pricey.

Andy[_15_] 06-11-2009 06:14 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> "Ravenlynne" > wrote:
>
>> I'm making this recipe:
>>
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...d-skirt-steak-

ch
>> urrasco-recipe/index.html
>>
>> It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
>> here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
>> this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

> I would. We can often find in on sale between $2.98 and $3.99 a
> pound, too. I imagine commissary prices are either the same or better.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

Flank steak is my favorite steak!

I only jaccard the steak to quick tenderize it and only salt and pepper
it and cook it on the BBQ grill to rare and it always tastes delicious.

I carve it paper thin across the grain at maybe a 20° angle from
horizontal so the slices look really taller than the steak actually was
and even more tender! I've always stopped just shy of drowning the slices
in melted butter.

Andy

Melba's Jammin' 06-11-2009 06:27 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

In article >,
"Ravenlynne" > wrote:

> I'm making this recipe:
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
> urrasco-recipe/index.html
>
> It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
> here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
> this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Cheap cut of beef. ROTFL!!! Once upon a time. No more.
I'd use flank.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?

Melba's Jammin' 06-11-2009 06:31 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

In article >, dsi1 >
wrote:
> Flank steak would work great but that's just my opinion. If you don't
> know how to prepare flank steak, you should do research first cause it
> can be tricky. You have to cook this piece at a high temperature yet you
> have to avoid overcooking. Cook it beyond med. rare and you might as
> well dump it but that's just my opinion. Slice the meat at a shallow
> angle. I like flank prepared teriyaki style although I haven't bought
> one in years cause it's expensive. I have no idea why it should be so
> pricey.

Because there's not much on one critter and the cut has become quite
popular. Supply and demand.

dsi1[_9_] 06-11-2009 06:50 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, dsi1 >
> wrote:
>> Flank steak would work great but that's just my opinion. If you don't
>> know how to prepare flank steak, you should do research first cause it
>> can be tricky. You have to cook this piece at a high temperature yet you
>> have to avoid overcooking. Cook it beyond med. rare and you might as
>> well dump it but that's just my opinion. Slice the meat at a shallow
>> angle. I like flank prepared teriyaki style although I haven't bought
>> one in years cause it's expensive. I have no idea why it should be so
>> pricey.

> Because there's not much on one critter and the cut has become quite
> popular. Supply and demand.

You are right of course. I'd like to know is who's buying this cut and
what are they doing with it? When I was a kid, nobody would think of
grilling this piece of meat. Flank steak would be a braising cut. My
first preparation of flank steak was as a stuffed roll. Stuffed with
Campbell soup. Weird.

George Leppla 06-11-2009 06:52 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

dsi1 wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >, dsi1 >
>> wrote:
>>> Flank steak would work great but that's just my opinion. If you don't
>>> know how to prepare flank steak, you should do research first cause
>>> it can be tricky. You have to cook this piece at a high temperature
>>> yet you have to avoid overcooking. Cook it beyond med. rare and you
>>> might as well dump it but that's just my opinion. Slice the meat at a
>>> shallow angle. I like flank prepared teriyaki style although I
>>> haven't bought one in years cause it's expensive. I have no idea why
>>> it should be so pricey.

>> Because there's not much on one critter and the cut has become quite
>> popular. Supply and demand.
>>

> You are right of course. I'd like to know is who's buying this cut and
> what are they doing with it?

Fajitas! Lots of Mexican restaurants use flank steak. Google flank
steak fajitas and you'll get a zillion links.

George L

Giusi 06-11-2009 06:55 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

"dsi1"

I'd like to know is who's buying this cut and
> what are they doing with it? When I was a kid, nobody would think of >
> grilling this piece of meat. Flank steak would be a braising cut. My >
> first preparation of flank steak was as a stuffed roll. Stuffed with >
> Campbell soup. Weird.

Finally! Someone older than I. I used to marinate and then charcoal grill
on my trusty hibachi many flank steaks in the 1960s.

dsi1[_9_] 06-11-2009 07:04 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

George Leppla wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> In article >, dsi1
>>>
>>> Because there's not much on one critter and the cut has become quite
>>> popular. Supply and demand.
>>>

>> You are right of course. I'd like to know is who's buying this cut and
>> what are they doing with it?

> Fajitas! Lots of Mexican restaurants use flank steak. Google flank
> steak fajitas and you'll get a zillion links.
>
> George L

Curse you Mexican restaurants! :-)

dsi1[_9_] 06-11-2009 07:09 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

Giusi wrote:
> "dsi1"
>
> I'd like to know is who's buying this cut and
>> what are they doing with it? When I was a kid, nobody would think of >
>> grilling this piece of meat. Flank steak would be a braising cut. My >
>> first preparation of flank steak was as a stuffed roll. Stuffed with >
>> Campbell soup. Weird.

> Finally! Someone older than I. I used to marinate and then charcoal grill
> on my trusty hibachi many flank steaks in the 1960s.

I wouldn't dare venture a guess on this age thing. I stand corrected -
you must have been at the forefront of the hibachi flank steak grill
movement. I salute you sir, or lady. :-)

dsi1[_9_] 06-11-2009 07:10 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

sf[_9_] 06-11-2009 07:20 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 11:44:11 -0500, Bob Muncie >
wrote:

>If I'm in a beef mood these days, I can usually find choice Angus strip
>or rib-eyes for around $5.99. Why eat scrap meat when you can eat real
>steaks for the same price?

Fajitas for one. They just plain taste better with "scrap" meat...
especially when that meat has been marinated in chimichurri. I prefer
chimichurri that uses cilantro instead of parsley though.

sf[_9_] 06-11-2009 07:27 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 08:09:08 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>I wouldn't dare venture a guess on this age thing. I stand corrected -
>you must have been at the forefront of the hibachi flank steak grill
>movement. I salute you sir, or lady. :-)

We cut our bbq baby teeth on hibachis in the '60s. When we wanted
something more, Weber became popular and hibachis lost their
popularity in the '70s.

aem 06-11-2009 07:34 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

On Nov 6, 9:55 am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "dsi1"
>
> I'd like to know is who's buying this cut and
>
> > what are they doing with it? When I was a kid, nobody would think of >
> > grilling this piece of meat. Flank steak would be a braising cut. My >
> > first preparation of flank steak was as a stuffed roll. Stuffed with >
> > Campbell soup. Weird.

> Finally! Someone older than I. I used to marinate and then charcoal grill
> on my trusty hibachi many flank steaks in the 1960s.

Uses do change with the times. For years, flank steak in our family
was for Chinese stirfries. Only. Then someone marinated and grilled
one, and all the family was horrified because the grill was only for
spareribs. We're all more flexible, cookingwise, now. -aem

Bob Muncie 06-11-2009 07:52 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 11:44:11 -0500, Bob Muncie >
> wrote:
>
>> If I'm in a beef mood these days, I can usually find choice Angus strip
>> or rib-eyes for around $5.99. Why eat scrap meat when you can eat real
>> steaks for the same price?

> Fajitas for one. They just plain taste better with "scrap" meat...
> especially when that meat has been marinated in chimichurri. I prefer
> chimichurri that uses cilantro instead of parsley though.

That's where my guesting rule would have kicked in ;-) I also mentioned
I like the texture and taste, just that it's just not worth the extra $3
lb if I'm making for the family. Remember when chicken wings were also
considered scraps until the yuppies caught on?

Bob

Tracy[_2_] 06-11-2009 07:54 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

> We eat about two to four lamb's worth each year, so we're keeping our
> eyes on the sheep farm down the street from us to see if they will be
> selling in the spring. We'll probably have sticker shock from that,
> since the last time we did that we bought for just the cost of
> butchering which was something ridiculously low like $125. It was a
> friend who was trying to offload an extra lamb as his sheep twinned. We
> had about 75-90 pounds (I can't remember how much it was now, it was a
> couple years ago) of lamb for around $1.50 a pound.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

Lamb is ridiculously expensive where I live. I was at the grocery
store last night and lamb shoulder steaks were $5.29 per pound.
Shanks were the same price. Even the little bits of bone were the
same price. A lamb rack was something like $15.99 per pound.

Tracy

Melba's Jammin' 06-11-2009 07:59 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

In article >, dsi1 >
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, dsi1 >
> > wrote:
> >> Flank steak would work great but that's just my opinion. If you don't
> >> know how to prepare flank steak, you should do research first cause it
> >> can be tricky. You have to cook this piece at a high temperature yet you
> >> have to avoid overcooking. Cook it beyond med. rare and you might as
> >> well dump it but that's just my opinion. Slice the meat at a shallow
> >> angle. I like flank prepared teriyaki style although I haven't bought
> >> one in years cause it's expensive. I have no idea why it should be so
> >> pricey.

> > Because there's not much on one critter and the cut has become quite
> > popular. Supply and demand.
> >

> You are right of course. I'd like to know is who's buying this cut and
> what are they doing with it?

I buy it.

Beef Kunkoki - I know, the name is bogus, but that's the way I received
it. Use fresh ginger and more of it, IMO.

Recipe By: posted again to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller, 11-6-2009
Serving Size: 6

1 1/2 # beef flank steak
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
3 tablespoons salad oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 cup finely sliced green onion
1 clove garlic crushed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Score flank steak in diamond pattern. Combine remaining ingredients and
marinate meat in mixture for at least an hour. Grill or broil for 5-10
minutes (5 minutes per side is about right on the grill). Cut thinly
across grain in diagonal slices to serve. 1-1/2# steak serves four to
six.

Notes: October 20, 1984. Extra marinade can be combined with sliced
and sauteed mushrooms and served with meat or over white rice.

And then there's:
Szechuan Beef with Vegetables

Recipe By: posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 11-6-2009
I don't think I've ever made this).

Serving Size: 4

3 Tbsp. corn oil divided
3/4 # flank steak thinly sliced
2 cups broccoli florets
1 large red pepper cut in thin strips
1 can baby corn (14 oz.) drained
1/4 # mushrooms sliced
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 cup Serendipity Sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot chili oil

In wok or large skillet heat 2 Tbsp. corn oil over medium-high heat.
Add beef, half at a time; stir fry 3-4 minutes. Remove. Add remaining
1 Tbsp. corn oil, broccoli, red pepper and corn; stir fry 2 minutes.
Add mushrooms; stir fry about 2 minutes. Return beef to wok. Add green
onions, Serendipity Sauce and chili oil. Stirring constantly, bring to
boil over medium heat and boil 1 minute. If desired, serve with rice.

Makes 4 servings.

Notes: From some community newspaper -- the late 1980s

Serendipity Sauce
Recipe By: Posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 11-6-2009

Yield: 4 cups
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
4 cloves large garlic minced
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 can chicken or beef broth (13.5-15 oz.)
2/3 cup dry sherry

In 1-quart jar combine cornstarch, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and red
pepper. Add soy sauce and vinegar; shake until blended. Add broth and
sherry; shake well. Store covered in refrigerator up to 2 weeks; shake
before using. Sauce may be frozen in tightly covered containers in
1-cup portions; thaw and shake before using. Makes 4 cups.

Notes: Source: Suburban Shopping Guide (freebie newspaper), 6/18/88.

> When I was a kid, nobody would think of
> grilling this piece of meat. Flank steak would be a braising cut. My
> first preparation of flank steak was as a stuffed roll. Stuffed with
> Campbell soup. Weird.

And I'd never think of braising it. :-) Not saying it's wrong, it's
just that grilling hot and quick is how I was introduced to the cut and
that's how we like it.

Ravenlynne 06-11-2009 08:03 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

Ranie at Arabian Knits wrote:

> In article >,
> "Ravenlynne" > wrote:
>
> > I'm making this recipe:
> >
> > http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...led-skirt-stea
> > k-ch urrasco-recipe/index.html
> >
> > It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
> > here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking
> > for this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

> I would. We can often find in on sale between $2.98 and $3.99 a
> pound, too. I imagine commissary prices are either the same or
> better.

I had to buy some for fajitas tommorrow night and it was approx $7.50
for a pound and a half (How they pack it here..)

Melba's Jammin' 06-11-2009 08:03 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

In article >,
Bob Muncie > wrote:
> Why eat scrap meat when you can eat real steaks for the same price?
> Or for that matter, I like chuck-eye steaks or roasts, and can
> usually find that for around $2.99 lb.
> Bob

To each one's own. I like the flavor of flank. And I like a marinated
chuck steak, grilled medium rare and thinly sliced‹again for the flavor
from the chuck.

Ravenlynne 06-11-2009 08:05 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

dsi1 wrote:

> Ravenlynne wrote:
> > I'm making this recipe:
> >
> > http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...led-skirt-stea
> > k-ch urrasco-recipe/index.html
> >
> > It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
> > here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking
> > for this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?
> >

> Flank steak would work great but that's just my opinion. If you don't
> know how to prepare flank steak, you should do research first cause
> it can be tricky. You have to cook this piece at a high temperature
> yet you have to avoid overcooking. Cook it beyond med. rare and you
> might as well dump it but that's just my opinion. Slice the meat at a
> shallow angle. I like flank prepared teriyaki style although I
> haven't bought one in years cause it's expensive. I have no idea why
> it should be so pricey.

I know how to prepare flank steak, I do it all the time. Thanks though!

Ravenlynne 06-11-2009 08:06 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

George Leppla wrote:

> Fajitas! Lots of Mexican restaurants use flank steak. Google flank
> steak fajitas and you'll get a zillion links.
>
> George L

I make a fake-o gyro with it too...greek seasoning on it, grill it,
slice thin and serve on pitas with tzatziki, lettuce, tomato, red onion
and kalamata olives.

Ravenlynne 06-11-2009 08:07 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 08:09:08 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't dare venture a guess on this age thing. I stand
> > corrected - you must have been at the forefront of the hibachi
> > flank steak grill movement. I salute you sir, or lady. :-)

> We cut our bbq baby teeth on hibachis in the '60s. When we wanted
> something more, Weber became popular and hibachis lost their
> popularity in the '70s.

My grandfather always put our ribeyes on them..

dsi1[_9_] 06-11-2009 08:17 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 08:09:08 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't dare venture a guess on this age thing. I stand corrected -
>> you must have been at the forefront of the hibachi flank steak grill
>> movement. I salute you sir, or lady. :-)

> We cut our bbq baby teeth on hibachis in the '60s. When we wanted
> something more, Weber became popular and hibachis lost their
> popularity in the '70s.

My guess is that I've assembled more hibachis that anyone here. Crude
castings and poorly formed "hardware." Such mindless work is relaxing
for me. :-) They remain somewhat popular here but big setups are now
getting to be more used. I have to admit that it seems kinda silly to
cook a bunch of steaks on that small thing. I guess we had more time
than space. :-)

dsi1[_9_] 06-11-2009 08:30 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> [...]

> 1/3 cup cider vinegar
> 1 can chicken or beef broth (13.5-15 oz.)
> 2/3 cup dry sherry
>
> In 1-quart jar combine cornstarch, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and red
> pepper. Add soy sauce and vinegar; shake until blended. Add broth and
> sherry; shake well. Store covered in refrigerator up to 2 weeks; shake
> before using. Sauce may be frozen in tightly covered containers in
> 1-cup portions; thaw and shake before using. Makes 4 cups.
>
> Notes: Source: Suburban Shopping Guide (freebie newspaper), 6/18/88.
>
>> When I was a kid, nobody would think of
>> grilling this piece of meat. Flank steak would be a braising cut. My
>> first preparation of flank steak was as a stuffed roll. Stuffed with
>> Campbell soup. Weird.

> And I'd never think of braising it. :-) Not saying it's wrong, it's
> just that grilling hot and quick is how I was introduced to the cut and

Good recipes. I would mix in a little cornstarch and soy sauce and maybe
some ginger on sliced flank before frying.

I agree with a no go on braising. That would be a waste of flank. What
can I say? I was just a dumb kid following a recipe on a soup can. These
days I'm a lot smarter: if it's on a can of soup, it probably ain't good
for ya! :-)

sf[_9_] 06-11-2009 08:44 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 13:52:26 -0500, Bob Muncie >
wrote:

>Remember when chicken wings were also
>considered scraps until the yuppies caught on?

I never liked them until SIL made chicken drummettes (before they
started packaging such things) and the Buffalo Wing craze took off.
So, I guess I'm part of the problem because up to then wings were only
good for stock AFAIWC.

Andy[_15_] 06-11-2009 09:39 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

Andy > wrote in :

> Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote in
> :
>
>> In article >,
>> "Ravenlynne" > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm making this recipe:
>>>
>>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...ed-skirt-steak
>>> -

> ch
>>> urrasco-recipe/index.html
>>>
>>> It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
>>> here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking
>>> for this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

>> I would. We can often find in on sale between $2.98 and $3.99 a
>> pound, too. I imagine commissary prices are either the same or
>> better.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

> Flank steak is my favorite steak!
>
> I only jaccard the steak to quick tenderize it and only salt and
> pepper it and cook it on the BBQ grill to rare and it always tastes
> delicious.
>
> I carve it paper thin across the grain at maybe a 20° angle from
> horizontal so the slices look really taller than the steak actually
> was and even more tender! I've always stopped just shy of drowning the
> slices in melted butter.
>
> Andy

P.S. Wegmans has skirt steaks. And the price was fair. I visited them
twice and they had cryovac'd packs of them on their shelf in the meat
section. I was shocked. I had to have one or two. Trouble with their
offering was you really had to get to trimming all the sinew off.

If there's one nearby, ring them up and ask if they're in stock.

At aFoodSource, an upscale market about 20 minutes away, they sold fresh
skirt steak. Dave, a totally great butcher would offer to trim it for me
so I'd stop back after my other shopping to pick it up. He only weighed
his finished product at the going price/lb., excluding the fraction of a
pound of sinew that it probably amounted to but I admired that. He was
also my buffalo connection. <sniffle>

Andy

Melba's Jammin' 06-11-2009 10:11 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

In article >, dsi1 >
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip)

> > Serendipity Sauce
> > Recipe By: Posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 11-6-2009
> >
> > Yield: 4 cups
> > 1/2 cup cornstarch
> > 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
> > 1 1/2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
> > 4 cloves large garlic minced
> > 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
> > 2/3 cup soy sauce
> > 1/3 cup cider vinegar
> > 1 can chicken or beef broth (13.5-15 oz.)
> > 2/3 cup dry sherry

(snip)
> Good recipes. I would mix in a little cornstarch and soy sauce and maybe
> some ginger on sliced flank before frying.

I think that's where the sauce comes in ‹ it has ginger and soy.

Melba's Jammin' 06-11-2009 10:14 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

In article
>,
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> Me, too. Although I have certainly enjoyed beef tenderloin
> (especially when someone else bought it), I prefer the tougher cuts of
> beef (with the exception of rib/rib eye steaks/roasts). I love brisket,
> chuck, flank, skirt, hanger, all of those. I cook them a long time or
> braise them, or cook them quickly in the case of flank/skirt/hanger. I
> just think they have more flavor. Maybe it's because we've never had so
> much extra money to get used to the more expensive cuts. ;-)

I think it's more that you just like the flavor more, Ranee. I've had
filet mignon that was horrible. Tender, and horrible.

Omelet[_7_] 06-11-2009 10:36 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

In article
>,
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> Washington does raise its own sheep, but I didn't think it made that
> big a difference. I was thinking we'd get sticker shock from paying
> about $3.50 a pound on lamb.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I can't get anywhere near leg of lamb for less than $12.00 per lb. in
Texas. Even the Shanks were $4.99 the other day. I'll only buy them
when they go on sale for $2.99.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

K[_6_] 06-11-2009 11:16 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

> The only thing we didn't ask for, which I wish we had and will
> this year, was for the tail. I'd love to roast the tail with our
> children like we read about in the Little House books.

Please let us know how the roast pig tail with child comes out. It sounds
harsh, but there have been times ... :)

Bob Muncie 07-11-2009 06:21 AM

Skirt steak substitute?

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 13:52:26 -0500, Bob Muncie >
> wrote:
>
>> Remember when chicken wings were also
>> considered scraps until the yuppies caught on?

> I never liked them until SIL made chicken drummettes (before they
> started packaging such things) and the Buffalo Wing craze took off.
> So, I guess I'm part of the problem because up to then wings were only
> good for stock AFAIWC.

Exactly my point. I remember when skirt or flank steak were under a
dollar a pound... just like a good broth making bone.

Too bad others make things cost what we now can grill a decent steak for.

:-)

And I would make you a good drummy (grilled (not fried) wings/drummies).
I'm just sorry it costs now ten times what it did ten/Fifteen years ago.

As expensive as it is now, I'd have to request you bring the dipping
sauces :-)

Bob

Bob Muncie 07-11-2009 06:22 AM

Skirt steak substitute?

K wrote:
>> The only thing we didn't ask for, which I wish we had and will
>> this year, was for the tail. I'd love to roast the tail with our
>> children like we read about in the Little House books.
>>

> Please let us know how the roast pig tail with child comes out. It sounds
> harsh, but there have been times ... :)

You love your children enough to eat them?

Zeppo 07-11-2009 07:40 AM

Skirt steak substitute?

"Ravenlynne" > wrote in message

> I'm making this recipe:
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
> urrasco-recipe/index.html
>
> It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
> here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
> this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

If they have flat-iron that would work just as well.

Not sure why but the local Gianardi's (Safeway) has been carrying Skirt and
Flat Iron in addition to flank lately. It's often on sale.

Jon

Bob Muncie 07-11-2009 01:37 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

Zeppo wrote:
> "Ravenlynne" > wrote in message
>> I'm making this recipe:
>>
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
>> urrasco-recipe/index.html
>>
>> It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
>> here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
>> this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

> If they have flat-iron that would work just as well.
>
> Not sure why but the local Gianardi's (Safeway) has been carrying Skirt and
> Flat Iron in addition to flank lately. It's often on sale.
>
> Jon

That is another cut that I haven't seen in the three grocery stores I
commonly shop in a long time. I think of skirt, flank, and flat-iron
steaks in the same way. They all are nice cuts that can use the jacard,
and usually are the best choices for several Mexican recipes that I am
aware of, and love to make. But they are all in the same price range,
and I still have issue with. Unless I am entertaining, and strip or
rib-eye won't do, why spend that amount? It makes little sense.

Let me ask you... Would you rather have a grilled angus rib-eye at 12
OZ, or 4 Oz of skirt, flat-iron, or flank that is shredded, or in strips
for use in a mexican style recipe?

Me? I'd like the steak, and hope the sides are as good at matching the
main topic which is a good beef steak. The sad thing is that both
options are close in cost these days. Doesn't make much sense, but that
is the way it is.

Bob

blake murphy[_2_] 07-11-2009 04:52 PM

Skirt steak substitute?

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 13:52:26 -0500, Bob Muncie wrote:

> sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 11:44:11 -0500, Bob Muncie >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> If I'm in a beef mood these days, I can usually find choice Angus strip
>>> or rib-eyes for around $5.99. Why eat scrap meat when you can eat real
>>> steaks for the same price?

>> Fajitas for one. They just plain taste better with "scrap" meat...
>> especially when that meat has been marinated in chimichurri. I prefer
>> chimichurri that uses cilantro instead of parsley though.
>>

> That's where my guesting rule would have kicked in ;-) I also mentioned
> I like the texture and taste, just that it's just not worth the extra $3
> lb if I'm making for the family. Remember when chicken wings were also
> considered scraps until the yuppies caught on?
>
> Bob

i don't think barrooms in buffalo count as 'yuppie.'

blake